As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So I'm doing the Artemis questline again and I'd forgotten
    how fucking sad it is. Poor Artemis. Last time I did the quest I told him the truth about what I had done and he got real upset (though I think eventually he forgave me?) What happens if I lie to him?

I'm also working on getting one of those ships, because they're rad as hell.
    Edit: what sort of stats do the living ships have? Are they randomized, or are they similar to fighters/explorers/haulers/exotics/shuttles?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    how fucking sad it is. Poor Artemis. Last time I did the quest I told him the truth about what I had done and he got real upset (though I think eventually he forgave me?) What happens if I lie to him?

Edit: what sort of stats do the living ships have? Are they randomized, or are they similar to fighters/explorers/haulers/exotics/shuttles?

They are slightly randomized, but seem to be similar to each other. Along the lines of an exotic I think. I'll link the base stats for my two here (giant images, so linking instead of embedding)

The Orchid
    The Spectre

They also seem to have 22 main slots and 21 tech slots. I've immediately moved most of the tech to the tech slots of course.

You upgrade them via stuff you get in random space encounters now. Also they eat different resources to recharge their systems. (the standard shield batteries and stuff seem to work as well)

Pulse Drive - Silver or Gold
    Landing Gear - Oxygen or Mordite
    Shields - Pugneum
    Hyperdrive - Chromatic Metal

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    Some stuff I have learned playing in the new update.

-Living Ships have varying stats, but damage output seems to be very strong. Mine, without upgrades, does more dmg than my fully kitted out exotic. I would expect it compares to a an S-class fighter.
    -Keep a stack of iron plates with you, some of the NPCs in space encounters need them.
    -Likewise, stuff like Geknip, Vy'keen Daggers, etc... are also traded to some NPCs for valuable relics (or you can trade them resources)

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

Interesting that you chose "he/him" to talk about Artemis... every being in the game is referred to as they/them, and Artemis, to me, was the only one that felt like a she/her to me, thanks to her looks and the name (Artemis is the original Greek version of the goddess Diana).

It's really cool that the simple use of neutral pronouns allows people to read the same game in different ways.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png

Interesting that you chose "he/him" to talk about Artemis... every being in the game is referred to as they/them, and Artemis, to me, was the only one that felt like a she/her to me, thanks to her looks and the name (Artemis is the original Greek version of the goddess Diana).

It's really cool that the simple use of neutral pronouns allows people to read the same game in different ways.

I often use "he/him" as a "default" unless otherwise specified. It's a habit I'm trying to get out of, but I'm not there yet

JtgVX0H.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    So I picked this up. Planetary exploring is fun, the space combat is not great, and the interface has whatever you would call the opposite of consolitis. Only major complaint is that I bought the blueprint for the survey visor or whatever, but it needs components that need their own blueprints, and those aren't for sale. Not cool game, not cool.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    daveNYC wrote: »
    So I picked this up. Planetary exploring is fun, the space combat is not great, and the interface has whatever you would call the opposite of consolitis. Only major complaint is that I bought the blueprint for the survey visor or whatever, but it needs components that need their own blueprints, and those aren't for sale. Not cool game, not cool.

It's been awhile since I did the beginning of the game parts, but I believe you get blueprints for a lot of the basic things as you complete the intro quests.

JtgVX0H.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

It's been awhile since I did the beginning of the game parts, but I believe you get blueprints for a lot of the basic things as you complete the intro quests.

Yeah, got a bunch of various blueprints. Thing is the visor needs a sodium diode or two (which I bought) and a cobalt mirror, which doesn't seem to be a commonly sold item and all the wiki stuff indicates I have to do raid various buildings to hope to get hooked up with a blueprint. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's annoying.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular

Yeah, got a bunch of various blueprints. Thing is the visor needs a sodium diode or two (which I bought) and a cobalt mirror, which doesn't seem to be a commonly sold item and all the wiki stuff indicates I have to do raid various buildings to hope to get hooked up with a blueprint. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's annoying.

Yeah it's possible to find the Cobalt Mirrors for sale but it's rare. And it might only be at special outposts on planets. But I've definitely bought them, because I saw I needed them myself to craft something, and when I saw them for sale somewhere I bought a bunch of em.

Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
    You can find cobalt mirrors at planet outposts. Specifically, the small ones with a single landing pad attached.

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how much is still gated behind the base building stuff but you can buy a lot of the random blueprints now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQrH4UeveM

• GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

Manufacturing facilities are secure sites; you can find them with a green-icon map from space stations. If you understand enough of the language you can react to the error message and control the facility; you get two recipes of your choice. You'll want to explore the whole product tree, so come back every couple days if you can. Build a base or drop a save beacon nearby.

edited February 2020
    Managed to snag the Reunion achievement during the weekly Nexus event, somehow. Which normally hasn't worked... not sure why it did this time.

Looks like the last two I have are Survival Mode and Permadeath so... what the heck, let's make a second save and give it a shot.

-edit-

Oh right, Survival doesn't have the super big inventory amounts they added last year.

Oh well, I just need to play it long enough to reach the center.

MuddBudd on
    edited March 2020
    Well, my Permadeath run ended when I was working on a 'dig bones' mission for the Nexus and, for the first time I've ever seen, a Sentinel flew underground to chase me, at the same time as an aggressive creature somehow attacked me through 3 feet of soil above me.

However, then my game crashed, and my save still there when I reloaded, back on the Nexus so... bug solved by bug I guess.

MuddBudd on
    edited March 2020
    Permadeath run continues, Taking my time to get my resources built up before I make a big push towards the center. But as long as I don't do anything stupid on missions, I should be fine.

Got what is my favorite freighter so far.
    wIMqklf.jpg?1

And a a matching exotic ship, that just landed in it randomly.
    O2YZU7n.jpg?1

Working on saving up for a living ship egg, since they don't have to deal with hyperdrive upgrades to reach the various colored stars. Want to set up a basic indium farm for income, and then it's time to start black-holing my way toward the center.

-edit-

I've never had an exotic ship this tiny before and I love it. It's so adorable and doesn't have giant wings to get in the way.

MuddBudd on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    i laud your ambition! i only ever got to the centre on permadeath through
    finishing the narrative
    ... good luck!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    bsjezz wrote: »
    finishing the narrative
    ... good luck!

I'm working on that too but I've already done the narrative a few times now so it's not really my focus.

my new living ship is so pretty

camo_sig2.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    New trailer for Hello Games' next project, coming later this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBY6XUf3rxs

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So this game has mechs now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8m9cxFKNo&feature=emb_title

https://www.nomanssky.com/exo-mech-update/

Some other cool stuff, too

"Players who own a freighter may now build an Orbital Exocraft Materialiser. This powerful new technology allows you to summon your Exocraft whenever your freighter is present in the current star system."

DarkPrimus on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    NMS at launch: A game about the heart-aching loneliness of being a nomad.
    NMS in 2020: LOL you can build some mechs and hop around with your pals.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

A very good example of the effect of listening to your audience, and I say this with no judgement on the positive or negative effects thereof. Like, I know I had turned the online component of having people join me or me joining them last time I played, and that lonesome effect persisted. Basically, that them adding to the game hadn't negatively impacted my experience at that point.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I'm hearing that this patch managed to make exocraft worse, which is quite the feat considering how garbage they already were.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

A very good example of the effect of listening to your audience, and I say this with no judgement on the positive or negative effects thereof. Like, I know I had turned the online component of having people join me or me joining them last time I played, and that lonesome effect persisted. Basically, that them adding to the game hadn't negatively impacted my experience at that point.
    I've actually never tried the multiplayer element of it (just not my thing), but that element of constant, aching loneliness disappeared - for me, anyway - when they added all the NPCs to the game. Before, you knew you could find one other living thing in an entire system, maybe you'd get lucky and find a planet-side trading post with a few more; now, every space station is teeming with folks, there are vendors who'll sell you stuff, you even get a few buddies who can come live at your base (which you can zip off to with relative ease).

Ultimately, both versions of the game are their own, valid things, and I imagine there are groups of fans for every version of the game from launch 'til now. The emotional and mental state that the launch version of the game put me in is entirely different from the one that the current version puts me in. Personally, I'm a little bummed about it, because I've played many different variations of "collect the resources and build the base with a production pipeline", but I've only ever (personally) played one "the world is a lonely and intrinsically meaningless place and you will rarely cross paths with another kindred spirit" game, and that game doesn't exist anymore. Fitting, I guess?

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I'm hearing that this patch managed to make exocraft worse, which is quite the feat considering how garbage they already were.

They made it so that exocraft are no longer innately immune to weather and hazardous effects. Instead if you want them to be immune you have to craft the corresponding tech and slot it in. I think they said it would take 4 slots total.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    finishing the narrative
    ... good luck!

I'm working on that too but I've already done the narrative a few times now so it's not really my focus.

What would you say is the fastest way to get to the center?

My last trophy is for reaching the center on permadeath. Is it quicker to go though the storyline or focus on upgrading warp engines and making fuel?

nwrabe wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    finishing the narrative
    ... good luck!

What would you say is the fastest way to get to the center?

My last trophy is for reaching the center on permadeath. Is it quicker to go though the storyline or focus on upgrading warp engines and making fuel?

Storyline.

edited April 2020
    yep, storyline is way faster

not without its risks, but i've managed it twice

edit: i think ~50 and ~30 hours?

next step: galaxy centre, VR, permadeath, no HUD. i think it's feasible, even without any quest markers, perhaps only because i have the preorder ship which comes with a hyperdrive. not sure about getting the antimatter recipe yet.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I may need to reinstall this.

I’ve not played for a few months, but those mechs look great.

Plus, who doesn’t want to explore a derelict freighter ?

If I can just remember what I was doing when I quit...

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is that update out now? I didn’t see info on post

Dixon wrote: »
    Is that update out now? I didn’t see info on post

It was released yesterday or today

JtgVX0H.png
    yeah it actually dropped before any info did, causing much hand-wringing

sC4Q4nq.jpg
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Good news, I haven’t actually uninstalled it, just downloaded the update.

I hope I have a big enough stash of resources to build a mech.

And I hope it can be carried in my ship, or at least that you can teleport while wearing it.

And I hope it can be carried in my ship, or at least that you can teleport while wearing it.

It's a vehicle like all the others. I haven't used any of them extensively, so I don't know how they operate as far as using them elsewhere.

JtgVX0H.png

It's a vehicle like all the others. I haven't used any of them extensively, so I don't know how they operate as far as using them elsewhere.

It sounds like you can, I'll check later. You can also build teleporters on your freighter, which is nice. And storage you build on freighters gets added to your general inventory, which is great.

I may have to remodel my bases though, if I'm going to be walking in my mech everywhere...

Really looking forward to playing for a few hours later.

edited July 2020
    The expandable bulkheads you get from derelicts allow you to increase cargo space on your freighter, but they are bugged and you seem to be able to use them more than once. Keep this in mind it might get hotfixed/removed if you take advantage of it. Some users are reporting the change doesn't save, or the new slots get glitchy. I'd be careful.

MuddBudd on
    my freighter got transformed into a different shape
    that's weird
    guess i'm back to freighter shopping

camo_sig2.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Never got too far into the main storyline before, but I distinctly remember The Anomaly being much less exciting the last time around. Wow! Hell of a quality of life change. And I'm loving the upgrade tree with the Salvaged Data.
    eflb4nb.jpg

76561197966849367.png
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    Never got too far into the main storyline before, but I distinctly remember The Anomaly being much less exciting the last time around. Wow! Hell of a quality of life change. And I'm loving the upgrade tree with the Salvaged Data.

Oh yeah, pretty much the entire upgrade tree from the old Anomaly is unlockable with Salvaged Data or Nanites at one of the terminals, but you might want to keep following that main storyline until you build a base and hire a few people on.