As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I'm thinking I'll get a Ryzen 7 3700X to upgrade my aging 4770k. Any motherboard recommendations? I'll need a new case too as my current one is old and tiny, a Corsair 250D. I like it, but I wanna go big and spacious and quiet. Presumably I'll want to use not the stock cooler too I suppose? I don't have an m.2 drive but I hear good things compared to the regular SSDs I have, and I could always use more storage.

I recommend the MSI B450 Tomahawk Mobo. Any case by Fractal or Phanteks is currently the popular pick; with Lian Li an honorable mention.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Shipping for the final piece (CPU) has been updated from the 18th to the 12th.

So close.

*Youtube PC building guide watching intensifies*

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    exis wrote: »
    Hi team! This lockdown has me finally wanting to bump my PC up to spec since my last upgrade... (checks order history) seven years ago!? I am in the very early stages of planning for a mid-range gaming PC that will allow me to at least play upcoming titles (e.g. Cyberpunk) and hopefully last me for a few years. I am generally multi-tasking, watching video on one monitor and playing something on the other. Memory has been an issue so I'm thinking of making the leap to 32GB rather than 16GB, which I'm hoping will provide me with a degree of future-proofing.

Here's what I have:
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower
    SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB SATA3 SSD
    HDD: 1TB/3TB drives (don't have details in front of me, but they're fine)
    PSU: Seasonic SSP-650RT 650W
    Mobo: ASUS Z87-A Intel Z87 ATX Haswell LGA1150
    CPU: Intel Haswell Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz 6MB LGA1150
    RAM: Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-N760OC-2GD GeForce GTX760 Overclocked 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0

I am planning to re-use the case and storage, and hopefully the PSU too? With that in mind I am looking at the following. I am pricing this all up from a local (NZ) retailer, based on a default 'mid-range' build from another site.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth CPU Cooler
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
    GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT PULSE 8G
    Mobo: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX

Unsure about any of these component choices.
    - The suggested GPU upgrade is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce OC but that is about a 25% price increase over the 5700.
    - I picked the mATX mobo because I couldn't see any real reason to pay for the ATX version (tomahawk).
    - Hoping my 650W PSU will be OK.
    - Splashed on the RAM a bit, based on my assumption that I will appreciate the 32GB in future. Not sure about the specific variant though. (Also I've seen comments that I'd be better off with 16GB RAM and a better GPU, if it came down to picking between).

All input/suggestions/corrections are welcome!

Case and PSU:
    I tend to reuse "old stuff" for my PC builds without problems. The Fractal R4 is fine, I think you can even control the original 3-PIN fans with the new motherboard, if you still got those. I have a i7 8700 with a MSI Z730 mainboard so I just left them on the original fan controller which came with the PC case. If you PSU did fine in the old build there is no reason to change it.

Mainboard:
    The MSI B450M MORTAR MAX is actually superior to the Tomahawk Max because it got better I/O (more USB ports at the back etc). A few months ago I could find it only in NA markets for some reason.

GPU:
    I have read that people got lots of issues with the XT 5700 cards (blackscreen, crashes, people have to install beta drivers/roll back drivers to get certain games to work). For me the GPU must be plug and play and work without fiddling in their default configuration. Maybe these issues are exaggerated and somebody could correct me on this. But I would suggest to a Geforce 2070 Super.

Storage:
    I would suggest to get at least a additional 512GB SSD if you plan to play "bigger releases" and newer games. Up to 1TB the SSD price/storage is currently okay for most brands. Games which stream their assets a lot really benefit from it. (Open World Games and MMOs for example). Check the "health" of your current SSD with tools (I use HWinfo for example). I have seen an influx of 128GB Samsung 840 series drives on my clients PCs which are on the verge of dying.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Hi team! This lockdown has me finally wanting to bump my PC up to spec since my last upgrade... (checks order history) seven years ago!? I am in the very early stages of planning for a mid-range gaming PC that will allow me to at least play upcoming titles (e.g. Cyberpunk) and hopefully last me for a few years. I am generally multi-tasking, watching video on one monitor and playing something on the other. Memory has been an issue so I'm thinking of making the leap to 32GB rather than 16GB, which I'm hoping will provide me with a degree of future-proofing.

Here's what I have:

I am planning to re-use the case and storage, and hopefully the PSU too? With that in mind I am looking at the following. I am pricing this all up from a local (NZ) retailer, based on a default 'mid-range' build from another site.

- The suggested GPU upgrade is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Windforce OC but that is about a 25% price increase over the 5700.
    - I picked the mATX mobo because I couldn't see any real reason to pay for the ATX version (tomahawk).
    - Splashed on the RAM a bit, based on my assumption that I will appreciate the 32GB in future. Not sure about the specific variant though. (Also I've seen comments that I'd be better off with 16GB RAM and a better GPU, if it came down to picking between).

Ryzens can be kinda picky about RAM, and it's often not so simple to "just add another 16Gb".

RAM is cheap right now. Get the 32Gb if you can reasonably afford it, especially if you like running multiple apps at once. Software has a way of expanding.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Loud buzzing coming from my GPU this morning. After shutting off the computer, I checked the fan which seems hot to the touch. Uh... Not good? I tried blowing out any dust in there, but there wasn't much and the noise is still there when I restart the computer. It was a GTX 1060 bought in 2017. A mini profile, to fit in the Micro ATX case I had at the time, so only one fan.

So, failing fan. Is this something that can be easily replaced on a GPU or should I just be looking for new gpus?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Here's what I have:

Ryzens can be kinda picky about RAM, and it's often not so simple to "just add another 16Gb".

RAM is cheap right now. Get the 32Gb if you can reasonably afford it, especially if you like running multiple apps at once. Software has a way of expanding.

Software design abhors a vacuum.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Roccat is a solid brand. Their Titan switches have been praised as being p solid alternatives to Cherry switches, and the software is solid.

Corsair is a good brand as well. So it's not like I'm against going for them too.

Transparency: I personally have a Steelseries Apex 7 Tkl, which I cant recommend for your case since its media key is an all-in-one button like youd find on headphones (press to play/stop, double to skip, triple to start song over).

More importantly (as that's actually an acceptable setup) is they don't have anything low-profile, and based on my experiences with my K70 that's a must.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    So I killed my K70 (again!) by spilling things in it. It's probably recoverable by way of disassembly and cleaning, but I don't really like the keyboard so I was looking at getting a new one.

Wants are:
    1) lower profile (vs k70) - One of my most disliked things about the k70 is how regularly I mistype things or accidentally hit the windows/rightclck buttons with my right hand, b/c of how tall the keys are
    2) Reasonable noise level - It doesn't need to be ultra silent, but I don't want IBM level click-clak. k70- had reds and a was a bit much, so i'm thinking browns or the newer silent reds
    3) Num pad. Not negotiable.
    4) Multimedia keys (volume, play/stop, ffwd/rwd,mute)
    5) Wired

RGB is not necessary, but not a game changer. Extra USB ports on the keyboard are nice, but not needed.
    *EDIT* - waterproofing would be huge. I kill keyboards way too often by being clumsy and drinking at my desk :P

Based on a quick research, the Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 LOW PROFILE looks to be a solid contender. Logitech has a similar one but was more expensive and seemed to lacka mute key. Steelseries did not have any low profile options, and I did not look at Razer as I have not heard good things about that company latetly. Any other thoughts? The K70 lowpro is already more than I really wanted to spedn, but it's managable.

Roccat Vulcano Aimo 120

cfdfwqewt8la.png

It's $10 more but it looks like it has everything you'd want

Also, the Aimo 122 looks sick

tizo5caujzu9.png

Oh that Aimo 122 is gorgeous and would look nice next to my glossy white tower. Too bad it's mechanical. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    On the other hand that did lead me down a rabbit hole of looking at Roccat products and now I seem to have ordered a new pretty white mouse. Yay?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Loud buzzing coming from my GPU this morning. After shutting off the computer, I checked the fan which seems hot to the touch. Uh... Not good? I tried blowing out any dust in there, but there wasn't much and the noise is still there when I restart the computer. It was a GTX 1060 bought in 2017. A mini profile, to fit in the Micro ATX case I had at the time, so only one fan.

So, failing fan. Is this something that can be easily replaced on a GPU or should I just be looking for new gpus?

Try giving the fan a push after you turn things on and see if it spins up. Either way, it's dying.

You'll need to grab some details on the fan and poke around on eBay for a replacement.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i wonder if i should have bought 32gb of ram. i've never used more than 16 and was trying to keep my costs down as much as possible without compromising performance, but...

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    So, Pixie's comment made me go poke around on Roccat's site. Turns out that the vulcan has 3 nearly identical models (80,100,120), the only differences being a fixed blue (80) vs RGB (100,120) backlighting, media volume knob (100/120), and whether it includes a wrist rest (120). The 100/120 are more gray than black too. In looking at the keyboards, they have the media features built into the function keys up top, accessible by a FN key (replacing the second windows key) so these are actually workable. While i like the volume knob I can live without it, and don't use a wrist rest currently, so since the 80 is ridiculously on sale right now at best buy ($60 instead of $120) I decided to buy that. I'll report back in later once I get it!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Is there any convievable reason to have 64 gigs of ram right now? (For gaming. I don't need to use photoshop or anything.)

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Is there any convievable reason to have 64 gigs of ram right now? (For gaming. I don't need to use photoshop or anything.)

Bigger numbers than the other guy!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Bigger numbers than the other guy!

That's always the answer.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    K, I was wondering if I should throw in another 32 gigs on this order while my RAM is still available (originally purchased in 2017) but I'm thinking it'd just be better to save the money.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Damn, everybody getting 32 gbs of RAM and here I was wondering if choosing 16 gigs was too much.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Bigger is always better.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just jealous.

;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    K, I was wondering if I should throw in another 32 gigs on this order while my RAM is still available (originally purchased in 2017) but I'm thinking it'd just be better to save the money.

32Gb is a forward-looking amount for gaming that should still be A-ok in 3-4 years. 64Gb, yeah, nah, unless you're planning to host a game server I don't see that being useful before you need to upgrade the PC as a whole system anyway.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Try giving the fan a push after you turn things on and see if it spins up. Either way, it's dying.

You'll need to grab some details on the fan and poke around on eBay for a replacement.

Doing a quick Google search indicates that it's a common complaint about the Zotac 1060 mini. Luckily it seems like Amazon has replacement fans for about 12USD

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

32Gb is a forward-looking amount for gaming that should still be A-ok in 3-4 years. 64Gb, yeah, nah, unless you're planning to host a game server I don't see that being useful before you need to upgrade the PC as a whole system anyway.

I'm still looking at doing 16 in each of our systems. I know AMD can be finicky with mismatched ram so if we want to upgrade in a couple years we just buy 32 for one computer and move the sticks from there to the other computer.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I'm still looking at doing 16 in each of our systems. I know AMD can be finicky with mismatched ram so if we want to upgrade in a couple years we just buy 32 for one computer and move the sticks from there to the other computer.

An excellent scheme, sir!

• Options
    Bigger is always better.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is just jealous.

;)
    What exactly is the tier/ranking of upgrades that have the most effect anyway?

I assume its: GPU > CPU > RAM

• Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular

A hot heatsink is quite normal, it shows that its doing its job. For a cheaper graphic card I would try removing / disconnecting the original fan and simply jerry-rig a 120mm fan to it.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Until you have enough memory to not be RAM limited for the game and your OS, RAM is the most important. After that, your listing is correct. If we are just talking RAM speed, your listing is correct.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking I'll get a Ryzen 7 3700X to upgrade my aging 4770k. Any motherboard recommendations? I'll need a new case too as my current one is old and tiny, a Corsair 250D. I like it, but I wanna go big and spacious and quiet. Presumably I'll want to use not the stock cooler too I suppose? I don't have an m.2 drive but I hear good things compared to the regular SSDs I have, and I could always use more storage.

For a 3700x, I'd just go ahead and give the stock cooler a chance first. It's only the 3600xs and lower that have the really terrible stock cooler, the prisma wrath is probably okay if you're not pushing a 3900x or threadripper. And it's actually pretty pretty

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Damn, everybody getting 32 gbs of RAM and here I was wondering if choosing 16 gigs was too much.

16 gigs is the standard amount. 8 bare minimum, 16 normal, 32 for the 'l33t g4m0rz'.

Back in 2012 the split was 4 min, 8 norm, 16 gigs 4 th3 h4x0rz, I went with 16 and am still going strong today.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

16 gigs is the standard amount. 8 bare minimum, 16 normal, 32 for the 'l33t g4m0rz'.

Back in 2012 the split was 4 min, 8 norm, 16 gigs 4 th3 h4x0rz, I went with 16 and am still going strong today.

8 is enough for the OS and like, a browser with one tab. I would say 8 to boot the damn thing, 16 bare minimum to actually use it. 32 if you like lots of tabs/game/etc. 64 if you want future-proofing or have specific use cases in mind that are RAM hungry.

I cheerfully chew 32 gigs of RAM, but 64 is still overkill for me. Right now Firefox is at 7 gigs of RAM because I have my usual 498723 tabs open. Shut up, I don't have a problem, YOU have a problem.

Anyway, yeah. If you're building a machine with only 8 gigs of RAM in 2020 you should rethink your life choices.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    With 64GB, RAM is not something I will likely think about for a while. Probably not until DDR5 is really prominent in a few years and I do a big platform upgrade.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Dratatoo wrote: »

A hot heatsink is quite normal, it shows that its doing its job. For a cheaper graphic card I would try removing / disconnecting the original fan and simply jerry-rig a 120mm fan to it.

It was the fan motor that was getting hot. If the motor is heating up and the fan isn't moving, there's something wrong because the motor is drawing more power to try to run.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Orca wrote: »

8 is enough for the OS and like, a browser with one tab. I would say 8 to boot the damn thing, 16 bare minimum to actually use it. 32 if you like lots of tabs/game/etc. 64 if you want future-proofing or have specific use cases in mind that are RAM hungry.

I cheerfully chew 32 gigs of RAM, but 64 is still overkill for me. Right now Firefox is at 7 gigs of RAM because I have my usual 498723 tabs open. Shut up, I don't have a problem, YOU have a problem.

Anyway, yeah. If you're building a machine with only 8 gigs of RAM in 2020 you should rethink your life choices.
    Sounds like I need more RAM then.

Alt tabbing out of big games and opening like six or eight new browser pages is my religion. Kind of lags sometimes though so heres hoping that 16gb is noticeable.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Oh that Aimo 122 is gorgeous and would look nice next to my glossy white tower. Too bad it's mechanical. :(

*sputtering noises*

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I recommend the MSI B450 Tomahawk Mobo. Any case by Fractal or Phanteks is currently the popular pick; with Lian Li an honorable mention.

I'm seeing this mobo recommended a bunch of places, but usually as a solid budget pick? Is there anything I'm missing out on I could spend a little more to upgrade to?

• Options

I'm seeing this mobo recommended a bunch of places, but usually as a solid budget pick? Is there anything I'm missing out on I could spend a little more to upgrade to?

Does it lack connectivity options that you want? A second M.2? Otherwise the main upgrade targets are PCIE-4 support and big-ass beefy VRMs for overclocking 12- or 16-core CPUs.

You can spend quite a lot on an X570 board if those things are important to you.

• Options

PCI-e 4.0 and better possibly power delivery would be the reasons to get an X570 board. It really depends on what CPU you plan to put in it and what you plan to do with it. If it's a 3900X+ and/or you plan to run high PBO values with good cooling, splurging for an X570 board with better VRM is probably worth it. The reason would be if you plan to get a PCI-e 4 NVMe drive.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

*sputtering noises*

The last mechanical I bought (a Logitech something-or-other) to see what the fuss was all about just didn't do it for me. The noise was obnoxious and the keys never felt good to use. I tend to hammer keys (relic of learning to type on rickety old manual typewriters in ye olde dark ages), and it seemed like it was resulting in ccconstannnt letttter repetition. I went back to a Corsair membrane kb and it feels and sounds better to me.

Opinions! :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm getting a 3700x, but the idea of pci-e 4 does intrigue me. I'm guessing that's a ways out though? And I don't think I need a second m.2

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

*sputtering noises*

The last mechanical I bought (a Logitech something-or-other) to see what the fuss was all about just didn't do it for me. The noise was obnoxious and the keys never felt good to use. I tend to hammer keys (relic of learning to type on rickety old manual typewriters in ye olde dark ages), and it seemed like it was resulting in ccconstannnt letttter repetition. I went back to a Corsair membrane kb and it feels and sounds better to me.

Opinions! :lol:

Oh i gotcha. I'm a bit past the "I LOVE THIS HEY EVERYONE COME DO THIS THING" stage though, so it's no biggie.

I'd be interested to know if they were reds, since those don't have an actuation bump and can cause repetition.

• Options
    I'm getting a 3700x, but the idea of pci-e 4 does intrigue me. I'm guessing that's a ways out though? And I don't think I need a second m.2

The only things that really use PCI-e 4 right now are NVMe drives and ultra high speed network cards. It's possible the next round of graphics cards will support it but probably won't make full use of it since they don't really saturate PCI-e 3 at this point.

• Options
    I believe the Navi GPUs already have PCIE 4 support but the difference isn't huge.

As for a second M.2... drives have a way of filling up.

This discussion has been closed.