As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why just distract yourself when you could ALSO listen to a [podcast]?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    the cloud/aerith stuff gets even weirder when you remember how many character traits of aerith fans actively erase so that she's just innocent smiling wife girl

I very much remember her as being that way and I've been trying to deconstruct why that's the case ever since I listened to the recent Waypoint

I mean that's basically how she's portrayed in every appearance outside of FF7 itself.

And just old fashioned cultural osmosis

Kind of like coming into EVA in 2019 and wondering who the fuck thought deeply traumatized adolescents were the perfect vector for merchandising everything.

I mean, isn't America just now getting over a big trend of that in YA books starting with like, Hunger Games?

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Rude Tales "When you're here"
    I love that this episode went from jokes about leaving Stir-Fry to die to him delivering the best material in the show so far. Tim is incredible at adapting, Spiders aren't dads is the best laugh I've had in a while.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    the cloud/aerith stuff gets even weirder when you remember how many character traits of aerith fans actively erase so that she's just innocent smiling wife girl

I very much remember her as being that way and I've been trying to deconstruct why that's the case ever since I listened to the recent Waypoint

I mean that's basically how she's portrayed in every appearance outside of FF7 itself.

Kind of like coming into EVA in 2019 and wondering who the fuck thought deeply traumatized adolescents were the perfect vector for merchandising everything.

I mean, isn't America just now getting over a big trend of that in YA books starting with like, Hunger Games?

Not even close to the same kind of saturation and missing the mark on characters:

https://youtu.be/_0Qr9rztRw4

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Sure, and either of those might be it (although I think the only outside material I consumed would've been Advent Children), or at least might be part of it.

I'm also considering the person I was as an eleven year old, and how his perceptions may have shaped things. Like, I played the game a couple of times in middle school (and maybe early high school), but I have not interacted with it in any way since then, aside from like, general cultural stuff and living on this message board for all these years.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    cultural osmosis version of FF7 done the original work dirty.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options

Not even close to the same kind of saturation and missing the mark on characters:

Ah yeah, fair enough, I forget how huge that marketing blitz was

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I listened to two podcast episodes that have people from the forums, first Teenagers With Attitude 199:
    "Tell me more about this 'brunch of grown adults.'"
    "Brunch is basically an excuse to get drunk at ten o'clock on a Sunday, right?"
    "I remember maybe three or four episodes back."
    "Where did Katherine get these children?"
    "I don't ever want us to just let slide the fact that she got thrown into the future and aged ten years. I do not want us to ever let that go."
    "If you have a device that you point at something and then activate and it turns that into gold, that's not a curse. That kicks ass."
    "Bulk and Skull have discovered a device that can make infinite wealth, and the first thing they do is buy hot dogs." well hot dogs are pretty good
    "they're gonna say 'golderize' about a hundred times"
    "My guess is it's more expensive to paint the suit than it is to paint him." you know Austin St. John's just gonna have to wash that paint off on his own time, he's not getting paid for that, and they would have to pay people to wash the suit
    "This is the most powerful thing they've fought yet, and it's just a fucking statue, and I love it."
    "Katherine gets off on humiliating the men in her life."
    oh no they're let's placing characters
    "I'm gonna save us some time and just tell you I'm gonna be voting against Tommy for the rest of the bracket."
    "Even if it weren't racist it would still be bad!"
    "I'm gonna let you know I'm gonna vote Skull for every single one."
    "My only experience with ranking in this way is Let's Place, and I always feel dirty after Let's Place"
    "We're about to do our 200th one of these fuckin' things y'all."

and second, a new podcast, Eidolon! It's an actual play podcast with two campaigns on alternating weeks, Eidolon Pop, which is a persona-style one, and Eidolon Rock, which is a jojo one. These are my notes for Eidolon Pop episode 0 (the episode 0s are character creation episodes like in FATT.)
    "I don't know if people have like, watched any news at all lately, but, um, hell is happening"
    "my character came up with a class with the hopes that no one would get into it, so he could just kind of chill, and have a free period"
    naruto is kind of persona if you think about it
    "I'm very cool and I know all about music."
    "you can't just go turning people into apples on me"
    "He doesn't have a nickname but he really wishes he did."
    "Big furry party here."
    "So cards on the table, I wanted to kind of make my character a bit like the Clock King" okay that adds up
    "a topic on which your brain is a comprehensive and encyclopedic compendium" god damnit
    "Let me summon my giant spider to tie up those loose ends."
    "I did have a philosophy course in college that only had three students in it."
    "I keep giving my characters hobbies I don't know anything about"
    "You can relate to multiple people on similar levels." "I can?"
    "We both love The Matrix."
    "Bugs are people too."
    "I'm gonna print up t-shirts that say 'Circumstances Happen.'"

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Ah yeah, fair enough, I forget how huge that marketing blitz was

IS, really. It never really stopped.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    In twenty years Rei and Asuke will be pitching life insurance for MetLife

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Ahem

Tifa/Aerith though

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Ahem

Tifa/Aerith though

go on

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My thoughts on this very serious matter are that I would obviously choose Tifa over Aerith.

But I'm not Cloud.

And I think Aerith is better for Cloud.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    I'm playing skyrim on ps4 with mods while listening to punch up the jam

I'm also doing the first half of this which means I've just been messing with mods all morning and now I think I'm finally done. Are you using Forests of Skyrim because it's crazy how different it makes parts of that game feel.

I just keep adding more shit and messing with load order and watching youtube reviews of ps4 mods and barely playing the game, thankfully I have a pretty limited selection of good mods on ps4

I am using both forests of skyrim and MAP project hippie and various town mods that also add trees and it is wild how just putting a bunch of trees everywhere makes everything look better, fuck tundras

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    My thoughts on this very serious matter are that I would obviously choose Tifa over Aerith.

But I'm not Cloud.

Yeah but Cloud is the worst part of Final Fantasy 7

Why would you want to do what is best for him?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The mods really help with the immersion of Fallout 4 on PS4 too.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

But I'm not Cloud.

Yeah but Cloud is the worst part of Final Fantasy 7

Why would you want to do what is best for him?

HE'S MY BOY

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    one could make an argument that evangelion merchandising has eclipsed neon genesis evangelion itself and become the primary text, such that rei and asuka are understood as fred flintstone of pebbles commercials or snoopy of metlife are by people who know nothing of the flintstones or pebbles

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

But I'm not Cloud.

Aerith is bringing in some baggage into their flirtation that is hard to get into without getting too spoilery. But yeah, she is definitely the more fun-loving, snarky of her and Tifa. It's oveshadowed by a lot of the other plot with her in the game, but early on she's a pretty fun and friendly character. You get to see more of it in Crisis Core, if I remember correctly as well.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Ahem

Tifa/Aerith though

go on

what if the girls held hands and kissed

(I have never played more then a few hours of FF7 and know only through culture osmosis and gay fan art)

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

But I'm not Cloud.

Aerith is bringing in some baggage into their flirtation that is hard to get into without getting too spoilery. But yeah, she is definitely the more fun-loving, snarky of her and Tifa. It's oveshadowed by a lot of the other plot with her in the game, but early on she's a pretty fun and friendly character. You get to see more of it in Crisis Core, if I remember correctly as well.

Crisis Core: a shockingly good game

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

But I'm not Cloud.

Crisis Core: a shockingly good game

Eh...the gameplay had its moments, and I enjoyed a lot of the stuff with Zack when it came to expanding from the original game, but everything with Genesis was baaaaadddd.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    honestly i had no idea until recently that ff7 starts you out as part of an ecoterrorist cell

that's the part i feel like cultural osmosis shorted me on, like, what the hell. how could half watching my roommate play kingdom hearts fail me like this

• Options

But I'm not Cloud.

Yeah I don't know Cloud, outside of Smash Bros and Kingdom Hearts

So all I know is that he's edgy, his Player 2 outfit is better, and that Lance Bass wants to kick his ass

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

But I'm not Cloud.

Yeah I don't know Cloud, outside of Smash Bros and Kingdom Hearts

So all I know is that he's edgy, his Player 2 outfit is better, and that Lance Bass wants to kick his ass

god if ONLY they got lance bass back as sephiroth for ff7r

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Aerith was in a relationship once, but it went south when her boy died, and now she's very—we'll say she's goals-oriented, and not looking for a relationship

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I'm surprised they brought this back. It just seemed to not gel with the 2-3 hour format at all.

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    now I also listened to Totally Reprise 142 because I'm trying to fuckin finish persona 3 the answer
    "I think they were stale but I just kept eating them."
    "Jesus does literally send a bunch of demons into a group of 30-50 feral hogs, so I mean, I think there's some rich ground here."
    "Maybe we need some more Christian memes, hang on."
    "Moses, shut up and get the fuck out, I'm about to worship this golden idol."
    "'Anime fighters that don't look like anime,' I'm looking it up right now." "Great. Good google search."
    "Their whole idea this time was 'what if we drew Clover like a sexy pirate,' huh?" "Yeah, that was pretty much the whole episode."
    "He's just like the human pirate that would host Spongebob Squarepants specials." fuck that is him
    "Someone was going into the wrong theater, and I just went arr, you're going to the wrong port."
    "I haven't had oranges in 50 years, girls."
    "And then the next 15 minutes are useless."
    "I want to play the Obra Dinn game of this."
    "I'm extremely pro-theft these days."
    "Everyone on Earth is dead now." it's one of those episodes
    "The sun can't get SMALLER."
    did I know about the president wanting to buy greenland? I can't even remember anymore
    "I tried to drink LIQUID with PAPER, how do you think it went?"
    "and then Clover swordfights Captain Salty for, 7,000 years."
    "pirates have pacts with old sea gods that everyone's forgotten, and that's gonna come in handy."
    "Kairi Sane feet"
    "Y'all fuckin' suck."

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    There is a segment of Yakuza 5 that is what I wanted from Tokyo Mirage Sessions

It's really weird to be kinda let down by a game, and then play a whole-ass other game and go, "Oh, here's the thing I wanted"

It's ESPECIALLY weird when the franchises exist in entirely different genres

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Playing 3 going on 4 Trails games this lockdown has taught me, your own true love is either your step-sister, childhood friend, or someone you accidentally groped.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    I have a Friends at The Table patreon question

Do the Tips at the Table podcasts cover any of the technical aspects of using Roll20? I've just started to do that and I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed with it.

@SirEtchwarts listen to the latest episode of Tips at the Table.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I'm playing skyrim on ps4 with mods while listening to punch up the jam

I'm also doing the first half of this which means I've just been messing with mods all morning and now I think I'm finally done. Are you using Forests of Skyrim because it's crazy how different it makes parts of that game feel.

I just keep adding more shit and messing with load order and watching youtube reviews of ps4 mods and barely playing the game, thankfully I have a pretty limited selection of good mods on ps4

I am using both forests of skyrim and MAP project hippie and various town mods that also add trees and it is wild how just putting a bunch of trees everywhere makes everything look better, fuck tundras

This is what I'm rocking right now:
    Unoffical Skyrim Patch
    Phendrix Magic Reloaded Parts 1 & 2
    ELE Interior Lighting Overhaul
    Skyrim Restored
    Magical College of Winterhold
    Real of Lorkhan
    Immersive Citizesn - AI Overhaul
    Point the Way
    Rain and Snow FX
    Realistic Conversations
    Better Loot Treasure Hunter Edition
    Forgotten Dungeons
    Hold Border Banners
    Fallen Trees
    The Midden Expanded
    Better Horses
    Better Vanilla Perks
    Lattathunz
    NPC Follower Gear & Gender Animation Tweaks
    Sea of Ghosts
    Dense Grass
    Dragon Encounter Tweaks
    Unlimited Spriniting
    Dragon Priests Gear Overhaul
    Riverstone Hut
    Skyrim is Windy
    The Valley of Peace
    Were-Beast Encounter Tweaks
    Immersive Patrols
    Looter's Cave
    Genuine Giants
    Borderlands of Skyrim
    Bridges of Skyrim
    BIG: Ultimate Kills
    Fantasy Followers
    Fats Travel From Interiors
    Tel Mos
    Blackreach Map Markers
    Improved Sounds
    H.A.S.T.E
    Lampposts of Skyrim: Special Edition
    The Great Cities By Soldierofwar
    Rich Merchants of Skyrim
    Hold Riders
    Caves of Morrowind
    Extra Map Markers
    Skyrim Vanity Kit
    Path Stalkers
    Various Wild
    TNF - Whiterun
    Weapons And Armor (SkyHBlades)
    GET No More Dead Followers
    Diverse Creatures and Bosses
    New Grass / Green Skyrim
    FOS Forests of Skyrim
    IA92's Additional Face Presets
    Obsidian Weathers
    Lore Based Loading Screens
    Original Race Heights (Morrowind)
    DLC Integration
    Character Editor - All In One Customization Pack
    Project Hippie
    Supreme and Volumetric Fog
    Guard's Armor Replacer - Unique Looking Factions
    Underwater Grass Deleted
    WATER
    Better Dressed NPCs
    Frost Giants
    Hearthfire Roads
    World Map Clear
    World Map Vibrant
    Hobbitan by Ozymandy
    Re-Color Replacer Pack
    True Alteration Armor Visuals
    Epic Realistic Enchantment Effects
    JK's Skyrim / The Great Cities Compatible
    Katana Pack
    More Skeleton Avengers
    Etheral Weapons
    Missing Tempering Recipies Fix
    Insignificant Object Remover
    Vampire Knights
    Wolf Blooded
    Better Dark Elf Presets
    IA92'S Epic Hair Colors

And tonight I'm gonna add

Supreme Storms
    Volumetric Fog
    Dual Wield Blocking
    Bonemold Armor Retextured
    Enhanced Draw Distance
    Scholar's Eye
    Modified Inns
    Effective Blocking
    Mage Grip

And the I think I'm done and I can actually play the game?

???

maybe

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    ive actually been listening to less podcasts while at home. it was easier to absorb podcasts while doing mindless office work than it is while playing crusader kings or red dead redemption

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If I've learned anything from media consumption it's that the childhood friend is who the protagonist always end up with, regardless of if they're actually the best choice.

• Options
    I have a Friends at The Table patreon question

Do the Tips at the Table podcasts cover any of the technical aspects of using Roll20? I've just started to do that and I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed with it.

SirEtchwarts listen to the latest episode of Tips at the Table.

I'll drop it in the queue, thanks!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

It's really weird to be kinda let down by a game, and then play a whole-ass other game and go, "Oh, here's the thing I wanted"

how many times have you heard the song by now

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Is there a Skyrim mod that just makes cities bigger

I get that they're supposed to be allegories of cities rather than cities proper but having a whole-ass world that's to scale and then having to pretend a place with 10 homes together to be a major urban center is jarring to say the least

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Is there a Skyrim mod that just makes cities bigger

I get that they're supposed to be allegories of cities rather than cities proper but having a whole-ass world that's to scale and then having to pretend a place with 10 homes together to be a major urban center is jarring to say the least

I had a hard time understanding this as a kid and found jrpgs very confusing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

how many times have you heard the song by now

Oh somewhere close to infinity

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    ...huh I never really read RPG towns as being allegories, I just went "huh this is a small town" and moved on

That's... interesting, though

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Currently fighting through the Shinra building

I think the biggest thing jumping out at me about FF7 is that it's WAY goofier than its reputation

Like the game just played a joke on me during a huge dramatic moment where I had to literally run up 60 flights of stairs

That's silly in a way I never realized this game was

Also so far it's just kind of making me wish I was playing Arc the Lad 2 instead

Fuck that game's good

This discussion has been closed.