As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Tried it last night and the Arkham LCG Tabletop Simulator module is excellent. Watched a tutorial on youtube, and everything was really smooth. Allowed us to finish the Dream-eaters campaign since the 8th and final scenario was delayed until June, but there are enough copies out in the wild that it is already implemented in the module.

If you want to give the game a try and can't because of social distancing, or are hesitant because of cost concerns, I recommend giving it a try on TTS.

I've been wanting to do a campaign of that on TTS. I've only played the base campaign and Carnival.

I'm interested in mystery and stories the games tell, but that only lasts one play through. And I said nuts to paying $400+ for scenarios I'm only going to play once.

The only thing I've found tricky about TTS is the hidden hand area you drop cards into so no one else can see.

I started at launch and when the price is closer to $15 every month or so for the new chapter it doesn't feel nearly as bad. Also we have played most of the scenarios at least twice and closer to 3/4 times for our favorites. Going at a scenario again with a completely different game plan or at a higher difficulty is still very fun. Many of the scenarios have some amount of randomization to keep things different every play thru. For example a scenario might have 2 copies of many locations and during setup you randomly pick one to use that game. We're currently doing a "Grand Campaign" where we're trying to play thru all the scenarios in order, replacing investigators as they die or go insane.

I'm not sure if this is the fix you're looking for, but we set hands as hidden from the main menu area, all our draws were hidden from the other player. One thing I couldn't figure out was how to "search the top x", I just searched the whole deck, needing my partner to trust I was only picking from the ones I was allowed to.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I just backed All the Goodest Puppers and have zero regrets.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I just backed All the Goodest Puppers and have zero regrets.

Now I know this exists, and I have also done this thing.

• Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular
    The guys that made a game I really liked are doing a classy thing and giving away copies of it for only shipping. https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/fxxtr3/were_sending_our_board_games_to_people_pay/

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That's awesome! I backed them back on Kickstarter. Played only a couple times though. It was a fun game and had some interesting mechanics.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So having followed some of your recommendations I now have this huge pile of boardgames, but due to lockdown can't have everyone around to play them!

I think that most of the ones that deal with open information (King of Tokyo, Betrayal Legacy, Pandemic Legacy) should still be plenty playable if I can figure out some sort of setup to stream the actual game state. Then they can watch the stream and it's just a matter of me following their directions on their turns.

Has anyone tried this, or seen a guide to setting things up?

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this, or seen a guide to setting things up?
    Yes! I am doing this several times a week now. Our group gets on a Zoom meeting. I add my phone as an extra Zoom participant with the audio off, and point its camera down at the table so everyone can see it.

A running log of the games we're playing remotely is here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/270734/grab-virtual-gaming

I have played King of Tokyo this way with family. They also own it and so they had their own dice to roll which was fun, but not necessary.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    We’ve been dong that with Gloomhaven with a few complications:
    • Game over sets it up and uses his phone as a camera on the board
    • Everyone has their character boards, pads, attack deck, and ability cards. We distributed those a few weeks ago
    • Everyone joins the zoom for audio and sometimes video
    • A second person runs Gloomhaven Helper on another device and joins and shares the screen. So everyone can either switch between the camera feed or the helper app or watch both if they join with two devices

The owner moves the pieces around, the helper app does most of the heavy lifting with the monsters, and everyone else runs their characters as if they were there live.

It’s been working.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    If anyone wants me to talk through my setup (and heck, let’s play a game while we’re at it) then shoot me a DM.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So someone did a Dutch reskin of catan:
    CORONISTS OF QUARANTINE
    0b8qg77hb5t6.jpg

The files are here if anyone wants to PNP it. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E9UERsppECMgQW9LflQwx49WqYJKSqbw

The robber is replaced by our pm Rutte and if he lands on your lands he gets to confiscate a resource.
    Admittedly a American reskin with Trump would be much closer to reality with the feds confiscating medical supplies.
    The resources are vitamin c, TP, WiFi coffee And handsoap.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    How do you do welcome to remotely? Does everyone have a sheet?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    How do you do welcome to remotely? Does everyone have a sheet?
    Yes. One person needs the cards and ideally a streaming/conferencing setup so everyone can see them. Everyone else needs a sheet.

There is also a mobile app called "Welcome to your perfect place" which gives you a digital score sheet instead, so there's no need to distribute/print them. It does the scoring for you, too.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I might try this, thanks!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    well Reichbusters showed up and, true to their reputation, Mythic Games has absolutely PACKED it with printing errors. At no extra cost!

Happily these are mostly only cosmetic this time except for two so it's still playable unlike Joan of Arc but hey maybe let's fire the fucking idiot proofreader anyway! Just for fun!

• Options
    Your mistake is in thinking there is a proofreader to fire.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I just saw a tweet from Reichbusters that after the last series of mistakes, a new rooffeeder was hired.

• Options
    heys roofs get hangry too

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2: August
    So what better way to spend the pandemic than playing Pandemic! This is our ongoing campaign with another couple, so now we are using 4 laptops to video chat and share the board.

July was an issue. The first half of the month we lost the turn (or two?) before we would have won, and did the satellite towers objective, making the second half more difficult. We won the second half, but it wasn't pretty. Lost a few cities to 0 population, and the hollow men caused the first exposure (blank). However, we feel good going into August.

That didn't last long. Turn 1 epidemic and plague cube. Even though we had a plan to get me the cards for the first supply center on my first turn. It only went downhill from there. Hollow men gathered cards were never back to back, spreading them all over the board and into cities we occupied. By the 8th turn we had all taken an exposure, two of which were scars.
    By turn 10-11, I questioned if we could still win, and what measures we should take to set us up for the next game. However, my team wasn't ready to give up that easily. We started doing some monitoring, but it wasn't discarding epidemics as I had hoped. We did get a deciphered code upgrade though.

Then it happened, hollow men appeared in every city in which we stood, and between hollow men and rats and plague cubes, scars were inevitable. However, we talked it through, worked out the actions, and came up with a plan. We knew if we monitored, it would get an epidemic. However, it could just give us another. We did hold the unfunded event to ignore an epidemic, but did we want to use it? Maybe. We needed two connected cities, a search, and two supply centers. We could do it.
    Monitor. Epidemic. Stay put to not get the exposure.
    Player draw. No epidemic.
    Next turn, monitor. No epidemic.
    Connect one city.
    Player draw. No epidemic.
    Next turn, move and take exposure.
    Connect city.
    Search.
    Player draw. No epidemic!
    Infection cards continue to drop hollow men, one into my city, and two more plague cubes.
    Next turn. Last turn, maybe.
    Build supply center.
    Move, take exposure and scar.
    Build supply center! WIN!

Draw card just for fun: epidemic. Phew that was close.

Being able to build supply centers for 3 cards plus two supply cubes is crucial. So crucial.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Wow they're making a Wolfenstein boardgame and Bethesda is going with one of the most underhanded, slipshod game makers in all of Europe. I'm sensing a trend.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Wow they're making a Wolfenstein boardgame and Bethesda is going with one of the most underhanded, slipshod game makers in all of Europe. I'm sensing a trend.

That's weird, bethesda has gone through FFG twice previously and at least DOOM was fucking great and well received. Fallout at least sold well enough to get an expansion, even if I hear it wasn't a masterpiece.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    They probably went with the low bidder? Or got paid more for their license.
    Usually it's a money thing.

• Options

That's weird, bethesda has gone through FFG twice previously and at least DOOM was fucking great and well received. Fallout at least sold well enough to get an expansion, even if I hear it wasn't a masterpiece.

Feel free to look up Archon/Prodos on BGG. They even threatened to sue BGG if they didn't take down all the negative comments people were making about them and ban the users.

• Options
    Oh I'm familiar with the trainwreck that is Prodos games. That's why I think it's weird that Bethesda is going to them after having already worked for a more well regarded and also really successful game company.
    They probably went with the low bidder? Or got paid more for their license.
    Usually it's a money thing.

Must be. What a shame. I love Wolfenstein.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Yeah, DOOM (2016) was basically answering the question "what if someone made Space Hulk fun?" It's pretty glorious. I think it works because the Demon Player doesn't feel bad about doing a clever play and killing a Marine since they respawn.

Man, I'd love a Wolfenstein game in that style... but I can totally understand why having a player have to play as the Nazi's would be... a bad idea.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    In other Kickstarter news CMON have yet another box of minis with a rules sheet stapled to the side on Kickstarter. Even if you really believe in this one it's probably best to stay clear as CMON is in the middle of major financial trouble and looks like it could collapse at any moment

https://techraptor.net/tabletop/news/cmon-audit-spells-potential-trouble-for-tabletop-publisher

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I missed out on nemesis.
    And now the standalone expansion nemesis lockdown is scheduled for a may/June launch.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/1897919106?ref=ek0vh3&token=dace0a50
    Now the question is if I will get both because they are compatible.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    In other Kickstarter news CMON have yet another box of minis with a rules sheet stapled to the side on Kickstarter. Even if you really believe in this one it's probably best to stay clear as CMON is in the middle of major financial trouble and looks like it could collapse at any moment

https://techraptor.net/tabletop/news/cmon-audit-spells-potential-trouble-for-tabletop-publisher

Ankh has a great developer behind it (and conceptually had some interesting sounding ideas), and CMON in general I think has produced more solid titles than their reputation suggests, so I hope this isn't the end of it all for them.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I don't think that's what's happening with CMON at all. There's been multiple financial experts weighing in on BGG about it and it seems a pretty par for the course audit.

I have no qualms backing it. And yeah, CMON games run to the good side of games, they have very few duds.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Even that linked article seems to have perfectly reasonable looking explanations for the audit in CMONs response.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Yeah, DOOM (2016) was basically answering the question "what if someone made Space Hulk fun?" It's pretty glorious. I think it works because the Demon Player doesn't feel bad about doing a clever play and killing a Marine since they respawn.

Man, I'd love a Wolfenstein game in that style... but I can totally understand why having a player have to play as the Nazi's would be... a bad idea.

But... Space Hulk is fun?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

just nod and smile at the blasphemy

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular

just nod and smile at the blasphemyheresy

FTFY
    honestly the marines side always felt less fun than the stealers to me, and I thought DOOM handled the asymmetry more elegantly

• Options
    antherem wrote: »

just nod and smile at the blasphemyheresy

FTFY
    honestly the marines side always felt less fun than the stealers to me, and I thought DOOM handled the asymmetry more elegantly

d'oh

yeah it's not a perfect game and the stealers are a lot easier plus it sucks that it only plays 2

still pretty fun tho

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Space Hulk has a weird property for me, where it feels like I am getting my ass kicked no matter what I do on either side

Alternatively: it feels like a game that is mostly down to whether the marine player ever makes a mistake. If they don't, they probably win. If they ever do, they immediately lose.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Space Hulk feels like the film Aliens but rendered into board game form. You actually sweat when rolling.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    The best part of DOOM is how well it executes that particular deliciousness that some games have where, no matter which side you're on, you spend your whole turn cackling madly, and the opponent's whole turn mouth agape at how bullshit their abilities are.

Space Hulk is fun, but for my money the better Space-Hulk-alike is Incursion, which was a gem so well hidden that no one bought the game and the company evaporated. Admittedly its "weird world war 2" setting was already a little bit played out when the game released.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the target sale
    I bought Jaws which my friend has been raving about. Worst case scenario I have a reasonable excuse to say we are going to need a bigger boat.
    I bought Imhotep which was described as a slightly more interesting Splendor, but Splendor is my wife's favorite game so slightly more interesting should hopefully work.
    And then I got their poker chip set because they have a nice weight and its a good deal.

So, we got the games in, and although we haven't played Jaws yet Imhotep is a big hit. It had a giant gold parent's choice seal on it so we played with the 6 year old. She loved it and didn't seem to have any trouble with any of the text other than calling the chisel the teaser inexplicably. I'm not sure how my wife felt. She didn't find much consolation in having the largest obelisk after coming in last...

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Unmatched continues to be fun, and the newest expansion with the Jurassic Park raptors and Robert Muldoon is pretty wild. It really shows their willingness to bend and test all the different basic elements of the game, and I really hope they continue to do that sort of thing more freely. Robin Hood vs Bigfoot was fun, and I like both characters, but I ultimately came away a little hesitant about how, for example, Robin Hood feels like a different take on Medusa, rather than a wholly new entity.

Meanwhile the raptors are an Ice-Climbers-style multi-hero three pack, who zip all over the place, ransacking everything with a suite of mad ambush powers, whereas Muldoon gets multiple choice cards and a weighty enough special ability that its description flows from his character card onto a second little cheatsheet. I think the game does exceptionally at capturing the condensed character of the Jurassic Park Dinosaur, being this wholly unpredictable wrench in an otherwise solid plan, that comes flailing out sideways and out of control. They're chaos, and being chaotic, things can go south for them as quickly as they can dominate. A bit more liberty, I think, was taken for Muldoon, since he just isn't in as much action in the movie as the raptors are, but I think they smartly executed the role of an Ingen containment team led by a big game hunter. They're congesting the field with traps, spreading out into key positions so they can hit anywhere on the board with ranged fire, calling for backup when things get hairy, etc etc.

Maybe more importantly for Unmatched, both characters bring things which are totally new to the game system, which is excellent.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Agricola (the real one), has been released on Steam for 9.99.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    ive heard pretty dubious things about the new agricola revised edition app thus far.