As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    He turned what!?!?

No way. Really?

But that means that Ellie is almost 5 and I'm kinda now a bit shell shocked.

Happiest birthday, Niko

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Child is going to be the reason I start drinking again.

I'm pretty close to the end of the rope with this little terrorist.

She wanted to make pizzas. so today we made shortbread crust and did a dessert pizza with cream cheese frosting and lots and lots of candies and sprinkles. And then we made real pizza bases and she put her own toppings on and we baked them and she was so excited.

And she ate nothing.

She ate the cheese and mushrooms off the top of one quarter of her personal sized pizza and then the actual dough out of one eighth of the pizza. That's it.

I am so very tired of this not eating bullshit.

We are all here for you, amigo. Most of us have been here for both of your posts. I've got quite a few about how my infant daughter recoiled at my very touch for about the first year of life.

Last night she wanted plan noodles instead of my lovingly hand crafted red sauce with Italian sausage

And that's fine! Annoying as hell, but fine.

I try to balance placating her whims and being overly controlling. If she wants to only eat parts of dinner, fine, but she doesn't get a whole other meal made for her.

As far as the emotional terrorism is concerned well, they're monsters and try not to take it personally.

I always give Kate a bit of whatever I made. In the case of spaghetti, her mother is a detriment, as she is with 99% of the food since she's a "picky eater". Wife doesn't like red sauce so she always puts butter on her noodles instead. She's now got Kate into it. I however don't hold sway with that game. I give Kate a portion of each, and if she wants more buttered noodles, finish the other ones first, which she happily does saying it's delicious.

As for pizza things? I'm so used to making something Kate saw on TV or whatever. She helps out, and then doesn't even eat it. Usually ends up with her crying over me saying "Try it once, then you can have something else"

And for Today's pain in the ass - Not only is it fun dealing with my Son's ADHD without Med's, though we're NOW back on a plan and should be able to try and schedule some kind of visit to get him back on meds, but dealing with Kate every day of the week since there's no where we can go, and I have to be "Daddy the Keeper of Entertainment" for her. So Nick spent 4 hours yesterday accomplishing 1 thing out of the 5 tasks for school I had assigned him. Partially my fault for not sitting at the table with him, prodding him every 5 minutes to "Stay focused" and be bored. I'll sit with him tomorrow. But, he has to do at least 1 hour of exercise daily and log it for his PE class. So I got him and his sister in the living room, we did stretches and then some push ups and crunches, then headed outside for a walk. Before we got even out of sight of the house, Kate's lagging behind, I have to keep asking her to keep up with us. We're doing a leisurely stroll pace not anything strenuous and she usually is running ahead. But today? Noooo.. slow as a snail. Then the tears start. So her and I head back to the house.

Ummm..sorry I couldn't just went off on a /vent without realizing what I was saying.

p.s. @Taramoor has 3 year olds now? Niko is how old? Kate's only... uhm yeah like @lonelyahava said 4.5 going to be 5 in Oct?!? I keep saying she's 4. Next week she'll be in college!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Had to spend an hour and a half consoling my oldest yesterday because school is cancelled for the rest of the year meaning she's not going to see any of her Kindergarten class except the one kid who lives on our street, and she's not going to see her teacher again and it's not fair.

Also having to deal with three 3 year-olds who are all Special Needs and were supposed to start their program at the local school last week and now are not getting any of the help they need and won't until September at the earliest and holy shit there are so many people out there who have it so much worse right now but damnit this sucks.

Yeah, my 3 year old was really benefiting from school, and he loved it besides, and now he doesn't get to do any of it.

They'd gotten him to eat vanilla pudding! Considering all he'll eat still is Gerber/Happy Baby puree food (and occasionally apple sauce), and that he generally doesn't like any milk-based anything thus far, that's a whole lot of progress for him. And he's finally at least sort of talking. I mean, if it's technical or orderly, the kiddo will probably figure it out, and quickly, and iterate on it (he knows how to turn the TV on, turn it to the Switch input, and turn on the Switch via the controller and press the button to get to the home screen), he just doesn't talk much or eat "normal" food. And school was helping with all that.

It's also kinda sad when a truck that sounds even slightly like an idling bus sits outside our house because he'll climb the couch and peek out the window hoping it's his bus. So much so that we had to hide his backpack and jackets, otherwise he'd "get dressed for school".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Still a few bugs to iron out, but pretty happy with the results so far.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    my current biggest fear as far as daycare goes is that Ellie is not going to want to go back.

her teachers have been trying to do zoom meetings and mat time with the kids and she wants NOTHING to do with ANY of that.

I'm not looking forward to the fight that is going to happen the first day school goes back.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I for hexagon I heard:

"What's that one?"
    "Octagon!"
    "No."
    "It's Basically an octogon..."

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »
    I for hexagon I heard:

"What's that one?"
    "Octagon!"
    "No."

OMG, it does sound like he’s saying that. Lol

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I for hexagon I heard:

"What's that one?"
    "Octagon!"
    "No."

Oh good, I wasn't the only one who heard that.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I for hexagon I heard:

"What's that one?"
    "Octagon!"
    "No."

Oh good, I wasn't the only one who heard that.

wait, is that not what he's saying? lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited April 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »

So, when my son is watching something he really loves, and it stops, he covers his eyes in an "I'm so sad, I'm not looking at anything ever". Like, he will freeze in place, in the middle of walking through the livingroom, and just cover his eyes and stand there. I've gotten to 5 minutes before he makes overtures to stop this action. And I tell you all of this prefacing material so that you understand when I tell you that this video of your kiddo made my kiddo do the cover-his-eyes thing.

He watched it at least 6 times, covering his eyes and laying his head on his momma every time the video stopped. Then I told him that nope, I was taking my computer back, and mom turned on one of his favorite shows instead. Which eventually coaxed him away from the computer. :biggrin:

Kalnaur on

So, when my son is watching something he really loves, and it stops, he covers his eyes in an "I'm so sad, I'm not looking at anything ever". Like, he will freeze in place, in the middle of walking through the livingroom, and just cover his eyes and stand there. I've gotten to minutes before he makes overtures to stop this action. And I tell you all of this prefacing material so that you understand when I tell you that this video of your kiddo made my kiddo do the cover-his-eyes thing.

He watched it at least 6 times, covering his eyes and laying his head on his momma every time the video stopped. Then I told him that nope, I was taking my computer back, and mom turned on one of his favorite shows instead. Which eventually coaxed him away from the computer. :biggrin:

That is amazing, touching, and painful to hear. I'm simultaneously happy and sad for you. I'll make it up to him somehow!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

So, when my son is watching something he really loves, and it stops, he covers his eyes in an "I'm so sad, I'm not looking at anything ever". Like, he will freeze in place, in the middle of walking through the livingroom, and just cover his eyes and stand there. I've gotten to minutes before he makes overtures to stop this action. And I tell you all of this prefacing material so that you understand when I tell you that this video of your kiddo made my kiddo do the cover-his-eyes thing.

That is amazing, touching, and painful to hear. I'm simultaneously happy and sad for you. I'll make it up to him somehow!

Don't worry about it! It's just Toby being Toby. It's a thing he do, and he had the biggest grin on his face while watching it.

Bonus: he was sort-of attempting to say the words too. :wink:

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Like, the Prince is an entitled little shit. And the Queen just abuses the concept of hospitality.

And in the end they're all perfectly happy once they find a girl that's comfortable with waking up covered in bruises? Like, what?

And Thumbleina, which used to be one of my favourites, is just. Ok sure, not a terrible story, she actually deserves the happy ending that she gets but, what about her mother!?!?! She gets gifted a lovely baby by a witch/fairy and then the child disappeared and.... Nothing. The mother is unimportant.

Can you tell what videos Ellie had been watching while I've been working?

This is a day late, but if you're interested in alternative tellings of this story, you could check out Once Upon a Mattress.

It's not all appropriate for a little kid, but there's probably some songs she would enjoy.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So Bean sleeps with a little bunny doll, like a stuffy but with no stuffing. He has since he was like 3 months old. It is ragged and worn and we don't wash it often enough so it's kinda gross but he always sleeps with it.

Today before his nap it went missing. A nightmare only a parent of a toddler could truly understand. We couldn't find it anywhere. It's gone missing before but we've always found it before he needed it. Today we couldn't.

So naptime came around, late even, he was tired, and we figured we'd try without it. I gathered him up in his favorite soft blanket and off we went. We sat in the dark in the rocking chair and when he started nodding off I got him in his crib. Where upon he stood up and looked at me and said "BUNNY?!

Ok so let's look one last time. I scooped him up and out into the living room where he stood patiently, hugging his blanket while I looked under the couch and behind the bookshelf again. After a couple of minutes, he dropped him a blanket, walked over to his toy box, opened it up, reached in a grabbed a teddy bear.

He picked it up, turned it over in his hands, rubbed it on his face and put it back in the box. Then he picked up his Paddington Bear, turned it over and put it back. Then he picked up a stuffed llama his aunt got him, rubbed it on his face, made an audible "hm." sound. Grabbed his blanket and held his hands up to me to pick him up. So off we went, I put him in bed and he napped for 3 hours

This kid blows my mind.

Ellie doesn't have any particular stuffy. But she tends to need something in bed with her. It can be any of the please-don't-ask-me-to-count-them stuffed animals. But something needs to share her bed.

Tonight, she helped me make dinner. We were braising a beef roast in the slow cooker. I handed her the ingredients and she added them into the cooker, she chose the amounts. And then after it came out of the cooker, she mixed up the glaze and put that on to go into the oven.

I'm so proud y'all have no idea. It came out bellisimo.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burpette also has rabbits that she needs to sleep. It's like a square with a rabbit head attached to one face. At first she had one that was a gift but when she started sleeping with them we ended up tracking down the shop of origin and buying two more. Then at some point we lost one and bought a replacement which caused the original to be found.

They are battered and gross. I'm hoping she grows out of them soon.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    This is our guy's bunny
    PPO-12__28636.1581629363.jpg?c=2

We were given it used in a pile of stuff that came from a friend and I only recently found out where it comes from. I've been meaning to buy a spare one just in case.

I have one of those for Ellie as well. It's a light blush colour.

I think it's somewhere in the bottom of her stuffed toy box.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So. Many. Stuffed. Toys.

Ripleys first and foremost was a stuffed wolf from this wolf sanctuary we took her to when she was almost two. She spent the entire time crawling over a life sized stuff wolf injecting it with antibiotics over and over again in the "practice to be a veterinarian section!"

It was both cute and terrifying.

Anyway next birthday she gets four more stuffed wolfs from family. So now she sleeps with her Wolfpack surrounding her.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burpette's are these in all the various colours:

rfuzl7khx7sp.jpg

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I've been meaning to buy a spare one just in case.

It's not worth it, they can always tell.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Probably because the spare is shiny and new while the current one looks like it got the syphilis in The War.

steam_sig.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Probably because the spare is shiny and new while the current one looks like it got the syphilis in The War.

After our kid got her first favorite wolf I immediately bought a second just for this situation. We rotate them every week or so. I am confident I stole that whole technique from these forums.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Little did you know that the crafty kids will secretly tear one corner so they can be wise to your betrayal.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Little did you know that the crafty kids will secretly tear one corner so they can be wise to your betrayal.

This. Two identical donkey stuffed animals but one had to be retired because he managed to worry away the fur on the end of the tail, so it was always obvious which one was which

One of these days I'll just pull the old one out and he can have two, but he's already got too many teddies

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »

That's why you buy a third which you toss into the fire after they lose one.

Wait a few days, then bring out one of others. "Oh look, Bunny loved you so much, he came back from the dead to be with you! You're not going to lose him again, are you?"

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    This is Ellie's lifelong friend, aptly named "bear". Not my kid, just the first image I could find:
    7_stella_540x.jpg?v=1541601516
    Ever since she was old enough to hold it, she would have one hand in her mouth, the other holding it, and gently pulling at the little strings that make up its coat. She would also very carefully rub it against her face so that it very gently brushed her eyelashes. It was the cutest thing. She's stopped that part, though.

But life lesson, make sure you know how much a stuffie costs before letting your kid get attached to it. Wanting to buy a spare after almost losing it, we went online to find it. It was a gift, so we had no idea this thing costs $100. So we're just really hoping we don't lose this one.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    These are a lot simpiler, but also a third of the price. Made very well:

https://www.fairindigo.com/collections/organic-stuffed-animals

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    These are a lot simpiler, but also a third of the price. Made very well:

https://www.fairindigo.com/collections/organic-stuffed-animals

There's exactly a 0.0 chance Ellie would not notice it's a different stuffie.

TeemingBlindFlatfish-size_restricted.gif

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    We have "fluffy spot" and "old spot". They're brothers and they sleep in little bunk beds we made. My son will prefer one or the other on different days.
    His favorite now is Roar. Roar is a five foot long dragon that's bigger than him.

edited April 2020

@Kalnaur i told the kids your story and they wanted to say hi to Toby. Of course, it immediately descended to chaos, but that was to be expected I guess.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

It's funny, he's actually pretty easy to break from habits like this. As I said, the llama did the job while bunny is missing, he slept all night with llama last night.

He has a microfibre blanket he's slept with for about as long and a few months ago I bought a second one, complete different looking, and the new one stood in with no problem while I washed the original.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Hahaha that’s the cutest! She’s too busy chatting to nap!

My kids never really attached themselves to stuffies until Anya decided she needed one as part of her bedtime package and oh wow she may be nearly 8, but she can cry for hours if part of that package (sleeping hat, eye mask, stuffy, lap quilt and lavender heart) goes missing.

It’s cute though too because the lap quilt and lavender heart are things I made her.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    If my kid had a misplaced toy, I’m pretty sure he’d be the one to find it again. A few weeks ago the baby monitor was missing. Looked in all the usual places for it, couldn’t find it. Checked between the couch cushions, no luck.

Asked the boy: Where is the monitor?

He walks over to the small garbage can by the computer desk, reaches in, and pulls it out. Apparently he had witnessed it accidentally fall in while my wife was at the desk earlier in the day, and she hadn’t noticed it.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena was napping at my parents' a month or so back, and she attached to my stuffed bear that was given to me by the hospital I was born at and she calls it "Daddy Teddy"

I'm pretty sure it's going to give her a huge boost to her immune system.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    We have been able to get a Theia to have at least one of her daytime naps in her cot in the nursery every day this week so far! I decided it would be good to start getting her used to that room gradually; I’m not planning on moving her out of our bedroom overnight for another couple of months.

Feels good. She is actually quite adept at settling herself off to sleep. For now. That’s all probably gonna change in another 2 weeks or so.

Also, re loveys/comforters... I bought Theia these guys. I’m hoping she takes to them because I think they’re beautiful (and she is a rainbow baby), but even if she ends up taking to something else that’d be fine. I’m planning on introducing her to them when she turns 3 months.
    2nk4oy15aftj.jpeg
    oayz71v8nnon.jpeg

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    Sleepy toys: Toby has Tracy the Triceratops, a hand puppet. It was our second night, I think, home from the hospital, he was very, very small, and he had a sad that he didn't get to sleep with mom and dad in the bed. I, somewhat annoyed but still trying to be helpful, grabbed this puppet from the bunch of things my sister had given me, and told him to try snuggling with it.

He has not gone to sleep without it since that night.

The funniest instance of this was we were searching for Tracy one night, couldn't find it anywhere. He wasn't really interested in sleeping, so he was running around the bedroom, I'm downstairs while he and his mom were upstairs, and she turns to him and asks if he knows where Tracy was. He runs over to his toy barn on the other side of the bedroom, opens the silo door, pulls out a pacifier and Tracy, pops the pacifier in his mouth, snuggles Tracy, then grins a huge grin, and stuffs both items back into the silo and closes the door. My wife shouted down to me that "we'd been played", I came up to ask what had happened, and she got him to basically reproduce the actions again by asking where Tracy was (he was giggling about this the entire time). He'd hidden his nighttime stuff on purpose so he wouldn't have to go to sleep, that much was clear. So I told him to grab his stuff and head for the bed and he grabbed the stuff and then laughed all the way to the bed.

I love my little ball of mischief.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    This is all too cute and wholesome, so let me quote my child just minutes ago:

"I like killing! I can't stop killing! Hahahaha!"

Turns out that while Burpette can climb into her old pushchair, she can't get out of it. It's like some kind of carnivorous plant that lures in near-four year olds