As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]7R gets DLC while we wait for Part 2. Guard your Materia!

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    the tweet is calling out people who are all for physically strong female characters up until that involves them having any muscle definition and not looking like thin supermodels
    essentially mocking a paper-thin false feminism based on how sexually attractive you find the character that says "women can be strong, and that's beautiful, unless you're not fitting into the usual standard of female beauty, in which case ew gross"

Yeah that's how I read it too

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    the tweet is calling out people who are all for physically strong female characters up until that involves them having any muscle definition and not looking like thin supermodels
    essentially mocking a paper-thin false feminism based on how sexually attractive you find the character that says "women can be strong, and that's beautiful, unless you're not fitting into the usual standard of female beauty, in which case ew gross"

I'd be down for a more ripped Tifa. I also don't mind her current design.

Also, woo, taking Monday off work. Gonna have 4 full days to play it uninterrupted :D I should do my grocery shopping Thursday night before it's out so I don't have to go out at all over the weekend.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It also overlaps with people who find muscles to be sexy.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    It also overlaps with people who find muscles to be sexy.

:D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular

I'd be down for a more ripped Tifa. I also don't mind her current design.

Also, woo, taking Monday off work. Gonna have 4 full days to play it uninterrupted :D I should do my grocery shopping Thursday night before it's out so I don't have to go out at all over the weekend.

I was going to take Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off. Then the coronavirus happened. Now I work from home and I have my kids at home.

I will play this as I have time and be jealous of everyone else. 🙂

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I woke to an NPR program about the game coming out. You know it's a big deal when NPR is covering it.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Best Buy says my game is delayed... I'm going to scream if I don't get it considering I've had it pre-ordered for like a year. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Bad storms knocked power out last night so I still have 64GB to download of the preload. Hopefully it finishes before tomorrow.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Mine is arriving Saturday at the earliest. Womp womp.

Woahnoooo, looked at a trophy guide; requires 2 playthroughs to 100% pffft

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Best Buy says my game is delayed... I'm going to scream if I don't get it considering I've had it pre-ordered for like a year. :(

Fuck, I really hope that doesn't happen to me. I haven't gotten anything saying I can't go pick it up from my local BB tomorrow so, we'll see.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Gamestop just emailed me that it'll be here tomorrow. Nice surprise given the news they weren't sure how to handle pre-orders. Figured I'd be waiting a while.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Amazon billed my card, but will they ship me the game tomorrow (or merely start the shipping...)? If they do, that'll be pretty sweet as I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    On the plus side, Best Buy finally says it shipped...the downside it is saying that it won't arrive until April 16th...poops. :(

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Man folks already uploading major spoilers on YT.

If I cared about spoilers I'd be very annoyed.

Dragkonias on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I imagine profasia gaming will have a giant thumbnail of major spoilers up in about an hour

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    @Brainiac 8 sorry dude. I just read about BB releasing today from 3 to 6pm for curbside pickup if we pre-ordered. I called my local best buy to confirm, and I'm going to head over in 90 minutes to try and get my copy.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Guess I should put a preorder in for this.

At least that’ll get me one of the Materia.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I got spoiled a little from youtube, just one of the mid boss fights. And then spoiled a little more from tumblr (spoiler alert: tumblr has shipping opinions)

I wasn't really planning on buying it (or at least I was trying to avoid the temptation) but geez the whole thing just seemed bursting with personality, and the designs look great, and fuck it, pre-order it is!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I played through the demo last night, just to get touched up on the combat. I'm still not sure I fully understand when to be defensive. Some are really obvious, but others aren't. I think I just need to treat the defensive part of combat a bit more like a CAG or Souls-like where I'm looking for specific tells for certain attacks.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Oh yeah, if anyone did that Butterfinger thing, you can input codes now (you've been able to for a couple days at least). I'm curious to see how that equipment stuff works in game. Presumably they'll be good starter level items that you grow out of fairly quickly, but who knows.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Are there any of those VPN/change your time shenanigans to unlock this early? Cause I am dying to start playing/streaming it.

SniperGuy wrote: »
    Are there any of those VPN/change your time shenanigans to unlock this early? Cause I am dying to start playing/streaming it.

You're not allowed to stream it until tomorrow. Square Enix is taking down channels that stream it before 4/10.

https://ffvii-remake.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/streaming-guidelines

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

You're not allowed to stream it until tomorrow. Square Enix is taking down channels that stream it before 4/10.

https://ffvii-remake.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/streaming-guidelines

Eh? There are thousands of people watching Twitch streams of this game right now

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Some people did get early review codes but yeah it's definitely being streamed at this very moment. It unlocks for me tonight at 11 so I'm gonna dive in at that time but I think there's a whole lot of people playing who probably didn't get an early review key.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Amazon emailed me. Estimated April 24th delivery.

:bigfrown:

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I’ve been pre-ordered since last week Friday. I was not planning on picking this up until it hit the Xbox One or more parts were available, but the demo hooked me. The same way that the original Final Fantasy VII Demi got me back in the day - that music. It just brought back that same feeling. The music that plays as you battle your way through the reactor is just epic and the further I got into the demo, the more I knew that I had to get this game... So I ended up pre-ordering the Digital Deluxe version. I’m really looking forward to getting to play this tonight.

• GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    THIS DAY IS GOING BY SO SLOWLY!!!!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick

Can you just cancel the order and then order through the playstation store? Downloading 80 odd gigs is obviously suboptimal but it's better than the alternative...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I played through the demo last night, just to get touched up on the combat. I'm still not sure I fully understand when to be defensive. Some are really obvious, but others aren't. I think I just need to treat the defensive part of combat a bit more like a CAG or Souls-like where I'm looking for specific tells for certain attacks.

Based on the Demo I don't think you're supposed to try to be defensive other than for obviously telegraphed big attacks. I think that aspect is closer to classic turn based rpgs where you should expect to take small damage frequently. Not like a proper action game where you try to block or dodge everything.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    Are there difficulty options in this? I might not mind ramping up the difficulty and taking my time on this one

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Are there difficulty options in this? I might not mind ramping up the difficulty and taking my time on this one

Supposedly you have Classic / Easy / Normal to start, with a Hard Mode only available after first completion. That said, some folks found Normal to be pretty challenging in the demo.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »

Based on the Demo I don't think you're supposed to try to be defensive other than for obviously telegraphed big attacks. I think that aspect is closer to classic turn based rpgs where you should expect to take small damage frequently. Not like a proper action game where you try to block or dodge everything.

Yeah, I ended up doing pretty well by only defending if I knew I was about to get hit by something I couldn't avoid - mostly the missile barrage from the boss.

As a counterpoint, going on the defensive in Punisher mode is just letting the enemy help you go on the offensive. I ended up using that against fast melee enemies (the dogs and Voldo knockoff guys during the escape) and it was way faster to just block and wait to counterattack them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    Difficulty
    Classic - game is set at Easy and the controlled character attacks / defends automatically, you only have to decide when to fire off spells/weapon abilities (trying to evoke the old style)

Easy - enemies do reduced damage and are less aggressive.

Normal - I played through the game at this one, you can brute force your way through most encounters but even some basic enemies can be a challenge unless you change up your materia.

Hard - Can't use items at all, MP recovery is greatly limited, bosses get new attack patterns. other than that it isn't significantly harder than late game normal.

you can change difficulty at any time you can access the menu.
    hard is only available once you finish the game once (changing to hard resets the current chapter to the beginning.)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Can you just cancel the order and then order through the playstation store? Downloading 80 odd gigs is obviously suboptimal but it's better than the alternative...

I want a physical game + Amazon pre-order swag.

Somehow I'll endure the next two weeks. Work will keep my mind off it.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Difficulty
    Classic - game is set at Easy and the controlled character attacks / defends automatically, you only have to decide when to fire off spells/weapon abilities (trying to evoke the old style)

Normal - I played through the game at this one, you can brute force your way through most encounters but even some basic enemies can be a challenge unless you change up your materia.

Hard - Can't use items at all, MP recovery is greatly limited, bosses get new attack patterns. other than that it isn't significantly harder than late game normal.

hard is only available once you finish the game once (changing to hard resets the current chapter to the beginning.)

At first I was reading that and I was happy.

Then I saw your last line.

That is a really REALLY stupid decision.

Why the hell lock away basic options like that?

C'mon square.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Hmm...do I go for the extra $20? My Best Buy does have it available...or I could just go digital...

Edit: Nevermind...Best Buy does not have it. :P

Doctor Detroit on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    @Brainiac 8 sorry dude. I just read about BB releasing today from 3 to 6pm for curbside pickup if we pre-ordered. I called my local best buy to confirm, and I'm going to head over in 90 minutes to try and get my copy.

What?! Godammit!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Fireflash wrote: »

Yeah, I ended up doing pretty well by only defending if I knew I was about to get hit by something I couldn't avoid - mostly the missile barrage from the boss.

As a counterpoint, going on the defensive in Punisher mode is just letting the enemy help you go on the offensive. I ended up using that against fast melee enemies (the dogs and Voldo knockoff guys during the escape) and it was way faster to just block and wait to counterattack them.

The shock troops were there to teach you to use the punisher riposte I'm pretty sure. As soon as they showed up I was like "Oh, yeah, Punisher riposte these guys".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Viking wrote: »
    Difficulty

At first I was reading that and I was happy.

Then I saw your last line.

That is a really REALLY stupid decision.

Why the hell lock away basic options like that?

C'mon square.

Traditionally? It's to keep people from jumping into hard mode right at release and then screaming about how the game is too hard on hard.

Considering the game is 35+ hours (probably closer to 50 for doing most side mission stuff), there's no reason to pad the game length. But it also buys them a few days before anybody can try and bomb the reviews because they jump into Hard mode and it turns out it actually is hard.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Not easily, as far as I know games use your account's region as well and you can't change that. No matter what sort of timezone your PS4 reports if your region says US you still get US unlock times.

You can technically create a secondary account with a different region but then your purchase would be tied to that account.

To be honest? It's not really worth it.