As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Glass Cannon-ish build that looks kind of insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kaCPacofok

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    lol at the gaki nerf

those little fucks were waaay too strong for how often they show up

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed having the little guys pose some threat, actually. Kinda like the spear skeleton soldiers that deal 60% of your health per stab (or 90% on counterhit).

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Most of the time, when I get tagged by a gaki, it feels deserved. They stagger and I can kill them in one high-stance combo with the switchglaive.

I won't complain about them being easier, though.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the respec book cost increases follow the model from the first game?

I believe it does increase.

But also note if you are just trying to reset skill trees you can do that via the dojo menu for much cheaper.

Also this game is SO FUCKING GOOOOOOD.

This might be my favorite Soulslike.

One thing I wish was a bit better is the Yokai Form. It ends up lasting for such a short amount of time that you barely get to enjoy it. The Yokai Abilities are crazy strong though.

Another question, the skill customize ability that makes the skill drain 1% of damage dealt to life. Am I missing something or is that terrible? That seems like such a hugely inconsequential amount of life. Why so low?

• Options
    the timer on yokai shift isn't all that bad it just gets fuuuuucked if you get hit by anything

i need to get in the habit of popping it during advantage instead of disadvantage

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    the timer on yokai shift isn't all that bad it just gets fuuuuucked if you get hit by anything

i need to get in the habit of popping it during advantage instead of disadvantage

I typically only transition to Yokai form after a successful burst counter or as I'm closing distance after dodging a complete boss combo, so I can throw out a quick triangle attack to get the damage rolling and get the best chance for a long 5+ hit string.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Yea, I'm on Brute so it's hard not to take some hits.

That said I was just reading that you can use anima abilities(don't know why i didn't consider this) during shift and those cause lots of amrita to come out of enemies which in turn lets you smash them more and then use more anima abilities since in Yokai mode they don't use normal anima and instead charge up separately very quickly.

So I'll have to try that out in the next boss fight.

Other thing: The samurai tree is surprisingly sparse and kinda bleh. I'm only in the second area and already run out of stuff in there that does anything useful for my character which seems weird.

Game continues to be crazy fun and my character looks SO GOOD now.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    So I'm pretty deep in now, and have no idea whatsoever what is going on in the story... Am I just not paying attention or is it utterly nonsensical?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    The story, or at least the presentation of it, is pure pants on head.

I don't miss white guy protagonist, but at least the story had some focus in the first one.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I don't know what is going on. Who is this guy in the pink komono? And his Goat Guardian Spirit, what's his deal? Why are me and Spirit Stone guy helping these generals? I feel like these cutscenes happen without any explanation of what I am doing or why.

• Options
    sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The story is pretty meh all around. Although there is some cool connections to Nioh 1 towards the very end. As far as I could understand it, you're just a half human/half yokai dude/dudette who has for most of his life been a sword for hire, going around killing yokai, until Tokichiro finds you and he's able to calm the bad yokai aspect of you. Then you go on an adventure helping Tokichiro gather more amrita stones and helping others, until things escalate because you've gotten yourself involved with too many important people. Luckily the combat is sublime and should be the real reason you're playing Nioh. :P

sgt rob on
    Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    If it's anything like 1, I expect you to encounter a lot of historical figures that due to my ignorance of Japanese history I don't know they are historical figures save for a few names.

I don't remember if there is a decent codex or going over a general overview of figures so you can better enjoy them. I think because of the more fantastical elements and ignorance of Japanese history I wasn't expecting these characters to all be historically factual basis--yes even the white guy.

Have to take it like Assassin's Creed where you're just going to run into a whole bunch of important people of the era just cause.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    It's all set up around the era of the Sengoku Jidai. Extra History did a multi-part series on this one a while back, so it's worth checking out as background, as well as who your character is supposed to be.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    deffo feels like a perfect storm of it not being a great story to begin with, playing off a ton of historical and cultural context, and a translation i'm not sure is totally on point

my knowledge of sengoku-era japanese history comes entirely from playing a samurai warriors game once so it's very ???

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • Options
    is spear flourish the best move in the game

it feels like it

• Options
    I've hit a wall. It's name is Shibata Katsuie.

Holy shit this guy is hard. Half my attempts, I die in the first 5 second.

• Options
    Spaffy wrote: »

i was stuck on him for like an hour last night

observations i made:

1. low stance seemed to actually work pretty well here since you need a ton of mobility, mid might work, i didn't try it.
    2. the move where he makes the axes spin around himself, save yourself a lot of trouble and just block it. trying to get cheeky and dodge in makes you eat shit
    3. the grab can be i-framed through, at least in low stance. it's still a pain in the ass but but it's better than the like 20% of the time dodging out and to the side gets you. that attack is some ebrietas from bloodborne shit

god help you if you can't survive the charge though, i had a big thicc spear build with 30 cons and heavy armor so i could eat one and thank god for that

• Options

observations i made:

1. low stance seemed to actually work pretty well here since you need a ton of mobility, mid might work, i didn't try it.
    2. the move where he makes the axes spin around himself, save yourself a lot of trouble and just block it. trying to get cheeky and dodge in makes you eat shit
    3. the grab can be i-framed through, at least in low stance. it's still a pain in the ass but but it's better than the like 20% of the time dodging out and to the side gets you. that attack is some ebrietas from bloodborne shit

god help you if you can't survive the charge though, i had a big thicc spear build with 30 cons and heavy armor so i could eat one and thank god for that

This may be it for me with the game. I can't get past this guy, even with summoning visitors. He'll always catch me with a charge, I just don't have the reaction or timing to dodge it. Summons seem to be a 10+ minute wait, that's not really a feasible method when he's often catching me with a charge in the first 5 seconds. Dagnabbit :(

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So, I've picked the first Nioh back up. I cleared the original story on normal difficulty with a sword, but haven't touched the DLC since farming my way through NG+ didn't sound fun at the time (I really, really didn't enjoy the test tube fight). I also never progressed very far with any other weapon/build, which I plan to rectify.

So, I've been sort of poking through the first few missions on new characters with all the weapons (man I wish I could name files or view equipment from the file loading screen) to figure out which I want to commit to going through the game with.

Kusarigama feels busted, maybe the only thing stronger than the normal sword?

Quick and easy runs with odachi, but I have more practice with it than anything other than the sword.

Spear is good, especially if I just poke poke poke all the time.

Axe was easy but I foresee the speed being a problem later.

Tonfa obliterated everything with minimal strategy or effort, even difficult yokai, though I doubt I can just stunlock everything for the entire game.

Dual swords were the only one that felt bad. I buzzsaw weak enemies without them getting to fight back...unless I run out of stamina because an entire stamina bar isn't necessarily enough to kill even a mook. I die nonstop against tougher things like yokai or multiple-enemy encounters. Awful damage, awful stamina efficiency, low range, everything feels super high risk/low reward. I got annoyed with how much of an endless slog killing the onryoki was and quit without beating him.

Obviously all of these will feel different as I progress but yeah, think I'll put dual swords at the end of the list for now.

Kamar on
  • Options
    regular sword doesn't feel that good i dunno what i'm missing

it's okay and it's fun enough to use but it doesn't seem to have a particularly crazy kit on it

dual swords were busted as hell in nioh 1 but they feel a little underpowered in raw damage this time around. that could just be that i haven't put a full build together. moveset still extremely good.

• Options
    hit the last zone and put on a light mataza set with higher defense than my warrior of the east set and the game has seemingly become unplayable

every single mission i play now is constant enemy spam and i no longer have the defense or damage to keep up

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular

observations i made:

This may be it for me with the game. I can't get past this guy, even with summoning visitors. He'll always catch me with a charge, I just don't have the reaction or timing to dodge it. Summons seem to be a 10+ minute wait, that's not really a feasible method when he's often catching me with a charge in the first 5 seconds. Dagnabbit :(

What weapon(s) are you using? I didn't have too many problems with him after a few tries, he is extremely predictable. I think the best way to deal with his charges where he bounces off is to block then immediately dodge the followup attack. He has a ton of attacks that hit in a cone away from him, you need to wait far away and make him do his charging grab or his normal charges, then beat him up when he's recovering.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The first game is so damn hard without LW (or like, skill shenanigans). But using it trivializes 99% of encounters even if you're not built for it at all. I spent like an hour trying to clear The Two Kings: Nioh on my 100-ish WotW+raikiri sword character without using LW.

Then I got annoyed and just beat them both to death in one try using LW without dodging or doing anything other than mashing attack and eating amrita.

I hear the equivalent super mode in 2 is a lot more reasonable?

Kamar on
  • Options
    yokai shift is pretty mediocre

it's not useless, but i almost never bother with it

• Options
    i started this game off being like, i'm gonna be a light armor nimble build it's gonna be lit

region 3 of NG+ and i am a 99 stamina fat boy wearing two pieces of Exceptional One and 3 pieces of Warrior of the East

and i am lovin this shit

i do need a yasakani pretty soon so i can swap in an alternate weapon; running two spears atm

• Options
    wrapped up NG+ the other day and made two spear builds

first is warrior of the east spear/odachi, with wote/exceptional/wote/exceptional/wote. gets you to the constitution bonus on the east set and picks up a huge boost for tornado. extremely heavy and tanky. running random odachi as a secondary since nothing else really grabbed me. i can swap in arrowsbane 2pc in place of exceptional of i'm just running odachi. could theoretically also pump the damage a little bit by running the warrior of the west stuff instead, plus the sword, to pick up an extra melee bonus + electrified enemies bonus.

the second is a mataza/tiger of higo thrust set with the mataza spear/tiger sword and mataza/tiger/mataza/tiger/tiger. gets you to the thrusting bonus on the tiger set and the spear attack/defense on the mataza set. it's less sturdy than the other one, the katana is a little ehhhhh since i don't run any of its scaling stats, and a little more limited than the other set but thrust attacks hit ridiculously hard. imbued the weapons with water to squeeze a little more damage out when the debuff applies. you could probably optimize this one a little more running full mataza and getting the 3pc piercing rain bonus from tiger but you can't hit the 200 toughness breakpoint on that set, so i opted for the defense.

• Options
    I’m still in this thing... just wrapped up The Golden Palace, I must be getting pretty close to the end now.

I’ve been playing a Fuma set / Kunai / Kuri ninja so far but I haven’t found ninjitsu to be as strong as everyone says, it’s great for clearing out Yokai clouds before I run back to the shrine, but for bosses it doesn’t do the melting I was promised, so I think maybe I want to transition into something that focuses on my weapon skills.

• Options
    Towards the end now in the last area.

One negative I've definitely come across: the drop rates and stuff to really build your character are WAY too low.

It's never good game design to have a single item drops with super crazy low rates. If you want farming to feel good have it be pieces.

Like getting 1 item every 10minutes and you need a handful feels WAY better than 1 item that may take multiple hours.

Firstly you actually feel like you are making progress. If you farm 1 item for an hour and get nothing it feels like you wasted an hour.

Secondly it's much easier to control the variance. With such a low drop rate some could get stuck with MANY hours on 1 thing.

So I just kinda stopped worrying about my build. Which is a shame because builds are some of my favorite parts of games.

• Options
    last night i got my last skill drop from lord ciabatta and found a divine toshiie's abacus in the blacksmith shop immediately afterward #soblessed

• Options
    Alright I beat it!

Half enjoyed the last boss half didn't.

I had to completely change my playstyle and make a new weapon for a different style since the ability I was built around could not him without taking damage which was lame.

And (fight details)
    The first part just took too long to go through to keep getting to the back half of the fight. It was just time consuming and not threatening which I never like in fights like these. I think he had just a bit too much health maybe.

The rest was rad though!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Towards the end now in the last area.

One negative I've definitely come across: the drop rates and stuff to really build your character are WAY too low.

It's never good game design to have a single item drops with super crazy low rates. If you want farming to feel good have it be pieces.

Like getting 1 item every 10minutes and you need a handful feels WAY better than 1 item that may take multiple hours.

Firstly you actually feel like you are making progress. If you farm 1 item for an hour and get nothing it feels like you wasted an hour.

Secondly it's much easier to control the variance. With such a low drop rate some could get stuck with MANY hours on 1 thing.

So I just kinda stopped worrying about my build. Which is a shame because builds are some of my favorite parts of games.

Better idea: just don't put any of that boring nonsense in your game to begin with. It just pads out the time investment while adding nothing that's actually fun.

broken image link
  • Options
    man what even is the chidori spear combo ender supposed to do

shit just straight whiffs 99% of the time

triple threat seems like it's kiiiinda good but the timing on it is absurdly strict. literally cannot land the powered up version on purpose without staring at the ki bar

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    xdoqqc4ou9ud.jpg
    I was surprised just how much I've enjoying the hell out of Nioh 2.

I plat'd the game earlier this week.

Level 241 right now, beat NG+ earlier this morning and just farming out my needs to people as visitors. Going to keep playing until midnight tonight and then get started on FF7R.

If anyone needs a hand with clearing out a difficult boss or mission, send me a PM. Be happy to help.

Ran most of the game as a Switchblade/Onmyo/Ninjitsu, then respec'd for a fully 99 Magic/99 Constitution (base Dex, 10 points in Ninjitsu to hold on to 2 Quick-Change scrolls which are like get out of jail free cards) character with points in Heart and Courage to pad out the ki and glaive/magic.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    i stopped using quickchange

might be alright when you have dex investment but in practice for me the duration was so bad that i would pop it before a boss fight - and not like a slog either - and there was good odds it'd be gone well before the end of the fight

bleh

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    After several weeks I've finally beaten the first mission.

Although I did miss finding one kodoma.

I'm such a terrible gamer :lol:

I must have used so much Nioh 2 ochoko cups to get help me through that damn mission.

The second mission was ok and progressing better in the third mission.

The purple Odachi I switched to had been a game changer for me. I'm dealing so much more damage now with more range.

I had been trying out Tonfas, hatchets, switchblades and Kusarigama, but this thing seems more my style.

I'm stubbornly keeping the Tonfa as one of my main two weapons though, as I love spamming wild lions.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    new patch out? coming?

lots of yokai ability buffs, lots of skill buffs (triple threat go go!)

nerfs to yatsu and final boss soul cores lol rip to a real one

edit: triple threat fuckin owns now

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    triple threat is fun as shit now so i bit the bullet and committed my build to the pierce spear setup

it was fun, 99 stamina heavy boy

but i can't use all those staminas anymore

upshot is that i can now run a remodeled katana and get damage out of it, whereas i was ending up running double spears on my other sets. true and through got buffed and it is... okay. damage is still on the low side but it feels usable now, at least.

Elendil on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I desperately need to Increase my stamina .

It feels like I’ve gotten so slow while dodging.

Also I’ve been trying to grind a bit before fighting Enenra (kept getting killed) near the last shrine, and I’ve noticed my grave will sometimes disappear upon revival. Am I too close to the shrine or something? It’s making getting more Amrita harder, as I’ll all of a sudden lose it all when the grave some show after I die

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356