As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Maybe the [NFL] isn't so bad...

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Santa Clara County Executive Officer Jeff Smith says don't expect 49ers or Sharks games until late November at best https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/08/coronavirus-top-official-says-sports-unlikely-before-thanksgiving-in-santa-clara-county/

Maybe the Niners can couch surf in Vegas

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    If the Bay Area isn't starting up again until November, and that seems ambitious, what does that mean for the teams on the East Coast? An uninterrupted 2020 season is not looking likely.

Belichick is behind this. Just when everyone started penciling in the Bills as AFC East favorites.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    An uninterrupted 2020 season is shot to pieces. I think the league even having a 2020-2021 is now in jeopardy. Even as the curve flattens by summer that doesn't mean stadiums filled with 70,000 people to watch a few dozen men breathe and sweat all over each other this fall is a good idea.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
  • Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    Man the Texans just...wow

It still blows my mind that their owner didn't fire Bill on the spot for even suggesting the first trade and now they're gonna pretend Cooks is gonna make it all better?

Honestly my prediction at this point is, if we're lucky, mid September we may have a couple of preseason games, and they might could start the regular season by October, but it's very, very unlikely they will be allowed much if any attendance in-house. Especially not indoor stadiums.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    XFL's dead again

AAF officially lasted longer

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I’d do a victory lap on my prediction that the league would fold before the video game was finished, but it was too much of a gimme to feel smug about.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The XFL also folded because of a...global pandemic, which I doubt was on anyone's bingo card

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Guess I should see if I can get clearance priced DC Defenders swag

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh god Tom Brady is trying to trade mark Tompa Bay and Tampa Brady. This is truly the worst.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Tompa Brady Bündcheneers

Maximum on
    God, Tampa, amirite

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Bradybeers

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oh god Tom Brady is trying to trade mark Tompa Bay and Tampa Brady. This is truly the worst.

And then sent a shot at Drew Brees of "I don't know why he didn't trademark Drew Orleans"

Well, first, that one actually works. Second, he's maybe less of a shit than you. Third, I don't actually know because he did take part in that pyramid scheme

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

how could you tell the difference

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

I’m shocked that a rule designed to shut New Orleans up for a year and not change any calls ever no matter how egregious has been determined to no longer be necessary.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

I’m shocked that a rule designed to shut New Orleans up for a year and not change any calls ever no matter how egregious has been determined to no longer be necessary.

They did change a call that one time

against the Saints

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

And then sent a shot at Drew Brees of "I don't know why he didn't trademark Drew Orleans"

Well, first, that one actually works. Second, he's maybe less of a shit than you. Third, I don't actually know because he did take part in that pyramid scheme

Brees does sort of suck though. Just in different ways than Brady.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Is Brady even going to end up playing a game for Tampa? If this season doesn’t happen I kind of doubt he will.

Speaking of the Saints

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29022736/drew-brees-join-nbc-football-lined-next-snf-analyst
    The New Orleans Saints quarterback has agreed to join NBC Sports as a football analyst when he is done playing, the New York Post reported Friday.

Brees, 41, has not announced when he plans to retire. He plans to play the 2020 season after signing a two-year, $50 million contract extension with the Saints last month

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is Brady even going to end up playing a game for Tampa? If this season doesn’t happen I kind of doubt he will.

God that would be just, chef's kiss, for him to leave the Patriots to try and get that 7th SB win and then never play again and retire as a Buc with 0 games played.

I'd never stop laughing.

I’m getting a little more fearful that we’re going to miss out on the Patriots face planting finally

Belichick getting more time to retool and develop HOYER THE DESTROYER is going to result in

Wait ok nevermind

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Belichick's just going to release the killbots and the Patrtiots will win by default.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Listen, Sidious got a lot of mileage out of Darth Tyrannus, but don't think for a minute he'll have trouble finding a new apprentice.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Speaking of the Saints

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29022736/drew-brees-join-nbc-football-lined-next-snf-analyst
    The New Orleans Saints quarterback has agreed to join NBC Sports as a football analyst when he is done playing, the New York Post reported Friday.

Brees, 41, has not announced when he plans to retire. He plans to play the 2020 season after signing a two-year, $50 million contract extension with the Saints last month

Brees doesn't seem to have the same kind of lovable yet knowledgeable doofus energy that Romo has.

Romo's on air talent is unmatched

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Romo has good energy and seems like a decent enough person

Drew Brees is a homophobic bigot who has donated money to at least one bigoted very conservative religious organization, Focus on the Family

Romo took a homeless guy to a movie

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I mean, all it took for people to start liking Romo was for him to stop playing for the Cowboys. A lesson many would do well to learn.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

God that would be just, chef's kiss, for him to leave the Patriots to try and get that 7th SB win and then never play again and retire as a Buc with 0 games played.

I'd never stop laughing.

Last play, a pick-6 in the playoffs.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Romo has good energy and seems like a decent enough person

Drew Brees is a homophobic bigot who has donated money to at least one bigoted very conservative religious organization, Focus on the Family

Yeah Brees is a great QB but man is he problematic

Real straight outta Westlake kinda dude.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Aw, what the fuck

TJ deserves love. Last Seahawks QB before Russell and the greatest coin flip caller of all time.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    An uninterrupted 2020 season is shot to pieces. I think the league even having a 2020-2021 is now in jeopardy. Even as the curve flattens by summer that doesn't mean stadiums filled with 70,000 people to watch a few dozen men breathe and sweat all over each other this fall is a good idea.

I wouldn't be so sure...we are really anti-good idea in this country lately. I can totally see a scenario where they push for exactly this and dread it.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck I just saw that about Tarvaris Jackson. That’s really sucks.

Hawkstone wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure...we are really anti-good idea in this country lately. I can totally see a scenario where they push for exactly this and dread it.

I understand where this sentiment comes from but fortunately I think the league's themselves have responded intelligently to the pandemic. My guess is that their legal departments have convinced them the huge losses in revenue they are facing now outweigh the consequences of trying to come back too soon. The NBA suspended their season before most states made any changes and the NCAA (as draconian of a sports organization as their is) straight up canceled March Madness.

I don't expect the NFL to announce anything until it has to because they don't want to refund season tickets before they have to but I don't think they'll try to defy experts on this. If 500 people die because 10,000 caught the virus at a stadium you're not talking about the losing seasons, you're talking about the end of that sport as you know it.

At this point I am more worried about high schools in some parts of the country (mostly the south) trying to carry on like normal and start up mini camps in May and two-a-days in the summer.

This discussion has been closed.