As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Khraul I've always liked a simple gray scheme on Wolves and yours is fantastic!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Right on! Thanks Custom

If I spent as much time painting as I do worrying about how the final product will look when it's done, my entire collection would be painted by now :lol:

I'm pretty happy just to have settled on a paint scheme finally.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Ok guys, I need some feel-good reassurances. I'm assembling some of my first multi-part metal 28mm models (that's not a BattleMech) in what feels like forever, and because the arms are relatively small/light I'm forgoing pinning and just using some high-quality superglue. I'm scoring the parts, and dry fitting, and and and...

...This is gonna turn out alright, right? I've been pinning my models for so long, I don't remember what to expect without it here and it makes me nervous.

Yeah it'll be fine. What are you putting together?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    What are you using for the grey khraul?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Ok guys, I need some feel-good reassurances. I'm assembling some of my first multi-part metal 28mm models (that's not a BattleMech) in what feels like forever, and because the arms are relatively small/light I'm forgoing pinning and just using some high-quality superglue. I'm scoring the parts, and dry fitting, and and and...

...This is gonna turn out alright, right? I've been pinning my models for so long, I don't remember what to expect without it here and it makes me nervous.

Yeah it'll be fine. What are you putting together?

Some Starship Troopers models from the old Mongoose line. The Roughnecks, specifically.

I may have fallen down a short rabbit hole.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Almost done with my Bombardier. Just got the rocket and head left.
    pwphl92dulcu.jpg
    qav27ecedvg8.jpg
    h5dqsmxgyyu7.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    What have I been working on during the initial weeks of lockdown, you ask? Well, I thought it was about time I got enough terrain together to set up a decent warhammer board at home, granted that's not very useful to me right now given I can't have anyone round the place to play, but once things clear up a bit at least I'll have a nice shiny table to play on!

uxi7w0i0l3s1.jpg

gdil67fm84p7.jpg
    twye38fnico0.jpg
    5ywjazz9d7oe.jpg

All this stuff is designed and printed by dark fantastic mills, who I would definitely use again, very decent quality and I adore the style of it (plus it matches the bases for my Slaanesh army!) The big ponds are sold as lava pools, but I decided with the dominant rust orange on the rest of the terrain some other colours wouldn't go amiss, so I made them up as sulphur pits instead.

i3d7et0f4nvb.jpg
    Then this stuff is mostly from the little terrain pack GW released for Underworlds, but it works quite well as interesting scatter terrain too.

xf21gq3w9hm5.jpg
    And I've still got all these ruins to get through too! As well as some large sculpted terrain bases/splats which should be showing up in the post sometime this week, plenty to be getting on with.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    that all looks real cool

My stuff from green stuff world is arriving today. It has been almost 3 weeks so I kind of forgot what I ordered.

I got some UV resin which I'm pretty stoked to try out and a fur press thing for green stuff so now I can add a big fur cloak part to my castellan.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Microset and Microsol are the bees knees.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have seen a bunch of the painting guides over the last week on ebay for cheap. I still am kind of amazed GW never printed or made a Craftworld one. I know over the years they have shown how they painted them but that's over 20+ years

edited April 2020
    I'm really liking how the head and backpack are coming out.
    2y7itexuzh1t.jpg
    nnsa42n8d199.jpg
    op2mhiu9k131.jpg
    28lgl5eebuwi.jpg

Stragint on

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So I really wanted to get through some of my backlog during my lab's shut down during the virus.

However, I broke down and bought an Elegoo Mars resin 3D printer.......

So I did this instead!
    unknown.png

unknown.png

Everything in them was printed at 0.05 mm slice height, the models and the bases. Everything was from Titan Forge. These guys make amazing files for printing.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Could you put that with a mini for scale? That looks really incredible I didn't think detail had gotten that good at that price.

steam_sig.png
  • KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Sure! In total, it was ~300 for the printer and my first resin (I got water washable stuff, so more expensive). The lighting on these is garbage, but it gets the point across.

Honestly these are smaller and WAY more detailed than I thought was possible on a printer. You can't see the print lines unless you're nose deep on it doing detail work. At maybe 8 inches away? No lines can be seen period. After a bit of paint? It's almost impossible to tell on most things.
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png?width=305&height=407

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
    Finished the Bombardier. Liking how it came out. I do still slightly worry about paint to paint super gluing. Hoping he doesn't fall part but the paint already feels strong.
    vl5gfq3gex7p.jpeg
    gpsvh6dfmu8j.jpeg
    2ro0wdspmk66.jpeg
    y1s4o284cfuy.jpeg
    dn1vbf9er9cn.jpeg
    t5f06q58gr6z.jpeg

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Finished up 3 more Gluttons and a test Leadbelcher for my Hogors.
    warpigs02.jpg
    warpig02_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You're really going ham on those guys.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So finished my first ranger squad but basing. I don't have basing material and well getting some from my local place is a bit of a challenge atm.

vKFSB1Wl.jpg
    KKLweVQl.jpg
    FR4SuO2l.jpg
    mmtlGk3l.jpg
    R0dKmefl.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited April 2020
    Self isolation is really stepping up the volume of content in this thread :lol:

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited April 2020
    First kinda grimy grimdarkish Space Wolf squad is done... still a little shiny due to some spirits flashing off after a second pass to clean up the oil wash, but I'm calling them done.

It's really cool that you can touch up oils after you've done highlights with acrylic and not screw up the highlights (my lazy makeup brush / drybrush highlights... can't be bothered to edge highlight).

Edit - Swapped in a photo with slightly less garbage lighting.

ylbi0ekmc4dh.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited April 2020
    I'm so torn on the bases for my Skaven. I was gonna do cracked earth bases with green for the Pestilens, orange for the Skryre, blue or red for Clanrats, and purple for the Grey Seer but I'm not so sure on that anymore.

I always want to use the cracked earth but I'm not 100% feeling it anymore.

I think I'm gonna do a cave based theme, so astrogranite or astrogranite debris texture paint and make it look wet, maybe some warpstone polluted streams and then match it with that warcry starter terrain since I was already gonna have that be Skaven themed.

Stragint on

So for the warcry starter terrain that I already have almost complete painted. I want to add those Skaven markings and I'm kind of torn on something.

Generally everything I see with them have the markings scratched into the surface and I was thinking of potentially using my soldering iron to "scratch" the markings into the terrain though the terrain doesn't seem super thick so I might just end up going through it.

Would a soldering iron be a good tool for this though, if I do decide to do it?

The problem with using an iron is that it's going to look melted-in, not scratched in. You could certainly try, with a fine enough pointed tip, but I doubt it's going to look like how you're envisioning it.

What about painting on some glowing runes, graffiti style?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    The problem with using an iron is that it's going to look melted-in, not scratched in. You could certainly try, with a fine enough pointed tip, but I doubt it's going to look like how you're envisioning it.

What about painting on some glowing runes, graffiti style?

Glowing runes in a graffiti style was the original idea and I am gonna stick with that, you are definitely right and it looking melted is not what I want.

Just gotta figure out how I want to do the graffiti style since some of these runes have varying line sizes so I doubt and airbrush would work.

I think with a brush with a good tip you could (with practice) get a reasonable handle on "variable line width" in one stroke, and draw out the runes by hand.

Finished a vanguard. A bit easier overall than a ranger due to how the details are. But came out really well.

8R4WxQyl.jpg

gOxM3SUl.jpg

B3tA1cil.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2020
    Wrong thread

Vanguard on
    Seeing your Ad mech Skitarii is one of the things that has thrown doubt into what am I doing with the army I have as I planning on doing Ryza but seeing a sea of creamsicle orange didn't seem that appealing

Brainleech wrote: »
    Seeing your Ad mech Skitarii is one of the things that has thrown doubt into what am I doing with the army I have as I planning on doing Ryza but seeing a sea of creamsicle orange didn't seem that appealing

I was going to do Stygies but realized I am just bored of painting black/dark armies after painting three of them (Slaves to Darkness, CSM, and Deathwatch).

u7stthr17eud.png
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I was going to do Stygies but realized I am just bored of painting black/dark armies after painting three of them (Slaves to Darkness, CSM, and Deathwatch).

My brother makes fun of the various eldar I have and the tyranids being red {Kabal of the Flayed Skull, Siam Hann for eldar} Kraken for the tyranids} I felt doing ryza would be interesting and different
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdZHq-RBsiE

I think with a brush with a good tip you could (with practice) get a reasonable handle on "variable line width" in one stroke, and draw out the runes by hand.

I did always want to try out calligraphy.

edited April 2020
    This is definitely gonna be a weird process. Mostly because if I do just the fluorescent it doesn't show up really at all without a UV light, at least the green doesn't. Haven't tested any other colors yet.

The brick work on the pieces also makes precision with line size almost pointless. I did kind of get the hang of creating variations in the line size while testing stuff out though so I think that will still be useful to practice and get better with since I have a bunch of dumb Skaven banners to paint.

I tested on this small piece because if I needed to full on clean it it would be the easiest to do.
    TBSQnGO.jpg
    orfjFgF.jpg

Due to not really being able to see anything without UV I decided to try outlining some regular paint with fluorescent and outlining fluorescent with regular paint.

Classic outlined in fluorescent:
    7Le0g4h.jpg
    nOYHSor.jpg
    J76ExNM.jpg
    JdNk6Mr.jpg
    y7HNZ9y.jpg

Fluorescent outlined in classic:
    wQgt59Z.jpg
    ieCESlF.jpg
    MEKlQ2r.jpg
    4d4U96V.jpg
    SUK210C.jpg

A thought has occurred. I want the fluorescent paint to be seen, no point in doing it without it being seen but it isn't a likely scenario that I'll have black lights to setup at the LGS and such which is why I want to either outline classic paint in fluorescent or outline fluorescent paint in classic paint.

What I could do is make a probably 40"x40" board to fit warcry, kill team, and frost grave. Have the playing area itself sunken in a bit so I can line the edges with black lights. Warcry and kill team are 22"x30" and frostgrave is 3'x3' so I figure an extra 4" into of the 3'x3' size for frostgrave gives a bit more room for things. I'd want it to be able to fold up so I wouldn't be limited by where it can be used so I'd want hinges.

This seems like a ton of work just to make fluorescent paint work but this kind of works in general because I wanted to eventually try making a board to setup terrain on.

Stragint on

• LindLind Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    After finishing painting the Star Wars Legion Core Box I bought some more plastic and did the paint thing.
    First up, Boba Fett.
    LwA1VDtl.jpg
    Ppgqh7Ll.jpg

Next, Snowtrooper leader and a E-Web Heavy Blaster
    pX8iSgMl.jpg
    nJFEq4Kl.jpg

Finaly Han Solo.
    xGos5Oql.jpg
    BZo5A3Ul.jpg
    I'm kinda pleased how well the camo on his cloak turned out. Just brushed the cloak with some water first than "painted" in the other green colors.

I've also manged to find some terrain i bought ages ago and got some paint on that, no pictures sadly.
    Now, on to the next project. Some Rebel Pathfinders and than some Fleet Troopers... and perhaps General Veers.

Lind on
    I'm liking this. I painted the green over the fluorescent so I'll probably add a bit more after the green dries.
    16rmgsbfewc3.jpeg
    sow9hdicfhhb.jpeg

So I'm going for the whole cave theme here with fluorescent paint and such so I figured I might as well go all the way and have fluorescent crystals and such.

Would it be easier to paint solid color crystals or clear ones?

I'm also planning on getting some of the alien grass from gamers grass since those are a nice color for this.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

My brother makes fun of the various eldar I have and the tyranids being red {Kabal of the Flayed Skull, Siam Hann for eldar} Kraken for the tyranids} I felt doing ryza would be interesting and different
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdZHq-RBsiE

See, I'd call that more of a dun color than 'creamsicle orange'.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    Been working at a glacier pace on my legio. The plan was more red than copper, but I'm still happy with the results. I think it'll still pass for Fortidus.

ui63d8jga3bd.jpg

Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Not exactly sure how these are going to look because my monitor's brightness is on the higher side, but ...
    n2gui9bt8dj3.jpg
    ha8zrdtka3su.jpg

Feels nice actually making progress. Feeling less good staring down another 10 ships, but hey ... gotta start somewhere~
    So the thing is, I want to panel line these, and a long ways back had picked up some Tamiya panel liner thinking that would be the way to go. At this stage though I'm a bit worried the black is going to be too overpowering, and wonder if I should try pulling it off using either Secret Weapon armor wash or sewer wash? I suppose either way this has to sit in limbo for a bit since I'll want to give everything a gloss coat first, and I might as well have them all finished together. See you in 2 years, at the rate I go. ;P

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Been working on some board game (Giga Robo) models to take a break from exploding boners:
    prJXILd.jpg

They're a nice change of pace from the AoS Ossiarchs, but PVC models are such dogshit to work with, and I hate it.