As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »

Not spherical not interested.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Turkeys do not fuck around:
    Eagan Police spokesman Aaron Machtemes says an officer was driving down the interstate near Pilot Knob Road yesterday when he saw a semi-truck driver on the shoulder frantically trying to wave him down. The officer pulled off I-35E, and found that the trucker's windshield had been completely blown out by a wild turkey, who was still in the cab and hanging out like he owned the rig.

"Lucky it (the windshield impact) was on the passenger side," Machtemes reasoned. "That trucker could have been seriously hurt."

The officer was able to remove the wild bird from the cab and walked it to a place it could be safely released. At that point the turkey wandered off on his own power like nothing had happened.

The trucker was not as fortunate. His rig was left undriveable by the collision with the turkey.

Turkey 1, Truck 0.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Eagan Police spokesman Aaron Machtemes says an officer was driving down the interstate near Pilot Knob Road yesterday when he saw a semi-truck driver on the shoulder frantically trying to wave him down. The officer pulled off I-35E, and found that the trucker's windshield had been completely blown out by a wild turkey, who was still in the cab and hanging out like he owned the rig.

"Lucky it (the windshield impact) was on the passenger side," Machtemes reasoned. "That trucker could have been seriously hurt."

The officer was able to remove the wild bird from the cab and walked it to a place it could be safely released. At that point the turkey wandered off on his own power like nothing had happened.

The trucker was not as fortunate. His rig was left undriveable by the collision with the turkey.

Turkey 1, Truck 0.

You mess with the bird, you get the beak.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The only good turkey is a smoked turkey leg at a ren faire.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Turkey 1, Truck 0.

You mess with the bird, you get the beak.

I'm sure having a turkey stuffed into this guys cab left him in a fowl mood.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, Pilot Knob Road?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

Never pilot your knob on the road.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Gobble Gobble.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Bad News: The Venezuelan warship BVL Naiguata (an 80-meter long patrolship) tries to force the RGCS Resolute (a german cruiseship under portuguese flag) in international water into a Venezuelan port under the pretext of "Violating Venezuelan territorial waters", fires warning shots and proceeds to repeatedly ram it...

Gone right: ...but didn't count on the RGCS Resolute being built for arctic cruises, with an icebreaker rating of E4 (highest non-polar class, with a reinforced hull and the ability to cleave through meter-thick ice). The Venezuelan warship sinks with no loss of life. After offering their aid (although hearing no response) and sticking around for about an hour until the Maritime Rescue Coordination Center on Curacao tells them that their presence is no longer needed the ship sets course for Willhemstad, Curacao, where it's currently in port with minimal damage. The Resolute wasn't carrying any passengers at the time (it was travelling from Argentina, and had temporarily stopped to perform engine maintenance in international waters).

Venezuela is raising a stink, but considering that the RGCS Resolutes AIS transponder supports her captains report while exposing Venezuelan lies... yeah.

Link to news article

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Just Minnesota things

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Intentionally ramming a ship with a modern warship is just...WTF? They're not built for that kind of abuse, and why would you do that when you've got a 76mm cannon built for, I dunno, blasting recalcitrant shit like ships!

I mean, ignore the international repercussions, that is beyond asinine. I'd really like to know what the hell the captain of that vessel was thinking and what his orders were.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Intentionally ramming a ship with a modern warship is just...WTF? They're not built for that kind of abuse, and why would you do that when you've got a 76mm cannon built for, I dunno, blasting recalcitrant shit like ships!

I mean, ignore the international repercussions, that is beyond asinine. I'd really like to know what the hell the captain of that vessel was thinking and what his orders were.

Honestly? It looks like some straight-up government-directed piracy was in play. Force the ship into dock in Venezuela, claim it had to be there because of damage, and basically hold the ship and people onboard for ransom while claiming they were "saved".

Alternatively, it's an April 1st article and is just a straight-up joke or hoax.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Honestly? It looks like some straight-up government-directed piracy was in play. Force the ship into dock in Venezuela, claim it had to be there because of damage, and basically hold the ship and people onboard for ransom while claiming they were "saved".

Alternatively, it's an April 1st article and is just a straight-up joke or hoax.

I mean there's apparently a petulant response from the Venezuelan government so that seems pretty unlikely.

Also googling "Venezuela loses a ship to a cruise ship" gets a lot of results to confirm it as well.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Every other country is trying to keep cruise ships away and Venezuela is trying to pirate them? Venezuela you're drunk.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Gobble Gobble.

Speaking of which, they did a study on turkey mating which involved male turkeys a fake female turkey. They began removing pieces of the fake to see at what point the male turkey would stop being aroused by it.

There wasn't one. Eventually it was just a rubber head on a stick and male was still courting it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

There's a place near here called Knob Lick.

Its' name is literally derived from 'salty mountain'

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Venezuela just wanted a free ship.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Gobble Gobble.

Speaking of which, they did a study on turkey mating which involved male turkeys a fake female turkey. They began removing pieces of the fake to see at what point the male turkey would stop being aroused by it.

There wasn't one. Eventually it was just a rubber head on a stick and male was still courting it.

Ben Franklin was most definitely right, that is the bird that embodies this nation.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Gobble Gobble.

Ben Franklin was most definitely right, that is the bird that embodies Ben Franklin.

Ed.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Every other country is trying to keep cruise ships away and Venezuela is trying to pirate them? Venezuela you're drunk.

No passengers aboard so presumably it would be medically safe. Ransom (in the form of levied fines, no doubt), scrap metal, etc.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Gobble Gobble.

Ben Franklin was most definitely right, that is the bird that embodies this nation.

Rotund, fowl tempered, and prone to causing trouble for the sake of it

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I mean there's apparently a petulant response from the Venezuelan government so that seems pretty unlikely.

Also googling "Venezuela loses a ship to a cruise ship" gets a lot of results to confirm it as well.

One of the other articles I read specifically made mention that the Isle of Tortuga was less than twenty miles away.

I think it's the real deal and not just some hoax, but I could also see this being a joke that exploded on the internet because it's just the right mix of weird and possible.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    There's was never any doubt that the story was real. You're looking at the actions of a country that's had 20+ years of, whackadoodle loyalty purges and fake news shaping their actions. Whatever competency they might've had is long gone and in the name of paranoia, 'the world is jealous of our awesomeness and out to get us,' I bet the commander legitimately thought that the Resolute was super suspicious!

Of course, he's a moron, but that's what you get.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    There's was never any doubt that the story was real. You're looking at the actions of a country that's had 20+ years of, whackadoodle loyalty purges and fake news shaping their actions. Whatever competency they might've had is long gone and in the name of paranoia, 'the world is jealous of our awesomeness and out to get us,' I bet the commander legitimately thought that the Resolute was super suspicious!

Of course, he's a moron, but that's what you get.

We know about the US, but what about Venezuela?!

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Gobble Gobble.

Rotund, fowl tempered, and prone to causing trouble for the sake of it

Also delicious when oven roasted, deep fried, or smoked.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Urk.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This feels heavy on the "gone right", but we need that right now

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Heavy on the gone right. News. Not so much.
    The event happened in 2016.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hell, I could swear its come up in a previous incarnation of this thread before (or something similar, I'm reasonably certain this has happened a few times (to different people, of course)).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Forar wrote: »
    Hell, I could swear its come up in a previous incarnation of this thread before (or something similar, I'm reasonably certain this has happened a few times (to different people, of course)).
    A whistleblower or something faked his death (or survived a hit) with the help of the local authorities and then popped back up after the murderer/their boss was arrested with a "got you, and you are going to JAIL". It happened in Eastern Europe, I think.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    This house didn't quite make it to Oz:
    It’s right out of “The Wizard of Oz": A house in Georgia was picked up and dropped in the middle of a road during severe storms.

Channel 2’s Tom Regan found the house early Monday morning in Upson County. He said in his 30 year career, he’s never seen anything like this before.

The house was blocking Trinity Road for hours before crews moved it out of the way.

The sheriff’s office says no one was inside when it was lifted into the air.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Man surprised with a jet fighter flight inadvertently ends the experience while still in the air.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/france-fighter-jet-ejection-scli-intl/index.html
    When the jet was 2,500 feet above ground and the pilot began to climb, the passenger panicked and reached for something to hold onto.
    Unfortunately, that something was the ejector seat button -- and the 64-year-old flew from the fighter jet.

He was uninjured.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Man surprised with a jet fighter flight inadvertently ends the experience while still in the air.

When the jet was 2,500 feet above ground and the pilot began to climb, the passenger panicked and reached for something to hold onto.
    Unfortunately, that something was the ejector seat button -- and the 64-year-old flew from the fighter jet.

He was uninjured.

Hmm, I would have assumed for any situation that would normally warrant ejecting from a fighter jet, that pulling the eject handle would eject both seats, as that could save the life of the second person if they were unconscious or incapacitated. Though perhaps it's a trainer version and set up that way so such dumb incidents are less likely to result in the loss of the aircraft.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

He was uninjured.

Oof. Reading the article it sounds like he didn't want to go in the first place, but went through with it anyway for some reason (social obligation? machismo?).

Seriously, though, who thought that was a good idea? "Fighter jet flight" as an unsolicited surprise gift is right up there with "malamute puppy." :bigfrown: I went for a ride in a P-51, and that was intense enough. Cannot imagine having a modern jet ride sprung on me like that.

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

He was uninjured.

Hmm, I would have assumed for any situation that would normally warrant ejecting from a fighter jet, that pulling the eject handle would eject both seats, as that could save the life of the second person if they were unconscious or incapacitated. Though perhaps it's a trainer version and set up that way so such dumb incidents are less likely to result in the loss of the aircraft.

The article I read elsewhere mentioned that the pilot should've been ejected but wasn't due to mechanical failure resulting in the breaking of the cockpit glass and his suffering minor facial injuries, but the CNN article doesn't. I'll see if I can find my earlier source.

Although to your point, it seems like in any modern military aircraft in which you are carrying civilians, you would want to disable just about everything they could possibly reach.

Edit: found it.
    If the ejection process had gone as intended, the pilot, too, would have been launched from the jet. The pilot’s canopy was shattered, but because of a technical malfunction his seat remained in the plane, and he was able to return to the airbase and land safely. He suffered minor cuts to his face.[/quote[

Photosaurus on
    "If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    That pilot's damn lucky then. "The ejection seat malfunctioned" is info usually reserved for next of kin.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    The fact that he got to find out his ejection seat is broken without being in a situation needing an ejector seat is basically the best piloting discovery he could've asked for.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The fact that he got to find out his ejection seat is broken without being in a situation needing an ejector seat is basically the best piloting discovery he could've asked for.

Also, you know, really good for all the other folks on the ground that would have been in danger with the plane suddenly being sans pilot.

This discussion has been closed.