As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'll suggest the 1976 cars for Japan. Different track but same country as their insane title decider.

And I'm totally down with Gilles' car for Canada. :+1:

Jazz on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    In case someone is looking for some extra broom broom, GMG has a Codemasters sale which includes F1's, Rally's and some other stuff.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    1962 Monaco Grand Prix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCv-dIFGcd0

WHERE ARE THE GUARD RAILS?!

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Yeah car racing 50+ years ago was hilariously dangerous, for the racers and spectators alike.

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I like how the dock is just a dock, completely unadorned. Nothing but fresh air between the race track and the water.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    It's amazing that more cars haven't ended up in the harbour over the years. (Only two ever have.)

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Guard rails? But we have plenty of hay bales!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The British Pathe channel on Youtube (where that video is from) has heaps of incredible old-school F1 and sports car racing footage.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Watching old school racing makes me nervous. Even when I know nothing bad happens in that particular race, just watching these guys zip around, no safety walls, no gravel traps, leather helmets, no seat belts. Gives me bad anxiety.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited April 2020
    Went and set a time for Azerbaijan in the Williams.

1:41.869
    ttdd1wjsbsjw.jpg

Screwed up the final, very fast chicane and bounced off the wall a bit. Think I lost about a half second from that, otherwise I feel it was a really good lap.

Veevee on
    You know sim racing is melding with your brain when you unconsciously start left-foot braking when driving an automatic car IRL

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2020
    Couple tips for Azerbailjan and the williams: Break earlier than you expect, but only until you can decelerate enough through coasting to make the turn. Most of the turns are 90 degrees, and the Williams only saving grace is it's mercedes engine, so you want to square the corner by turning in as late as you can, letting you get back on the throttle a lot sooner than if you took a more rounded aproach.

There is a lot of truth to the saying "Slow in, Fast out" in Formula 1.

Also, anyone want to do some multiplayer racing today? I'm around for the next several hours

Veevee on
    edited April 2020
    TeeMan wrote: »
    You know sim racing is melding with your brain when you unconsciously start left-foot braking when driving an automatic car IRL

Funny story related to this. I was running late for a meeting one morning and decided to get a ReachNow car share (when that was still a thing) rather than riding the train. It was the Monday morning after the iRacing Le Mans 24h so I had spent a good portion of the weekend zipping around Le Mans in an LMP1 car. I found a ReachNow about a block from my house, booked and walk down there.

I get in the car, do all the normal adjustments, put my seat belt on and go to take off. As a force of habit I test the brakes just to make sure. This isn't my car and better safe than sorry. The car suddenly jumps to a halt like I had slammed the brakes. I immediately thought something was wrong so I tried again, same result. I decided to immediately park the car and call customer support to let them know. I park, get out of the car, go to call customer support and then it hits me....I had been left foot race braking. I was in pure auto pilot mode trying to get to this meeting and didn't even register that I had been trying to race brake. Not only with the wrong foot but I was jamming it like I would the brakes of an LMP1 car at the end of the Mulsanne Straight.

Re-booked the car, got in, consciously broke with my right street driving foot and technique. No problem, car was fine.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So yeah, I just don't 'get' Azerbaijan. If I could pick up my wheel and throw it through the screen, I totally would. The 1:46.079 I set is going to have to be enough.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Been working on Spa in ACC, still running with the V8 Vantage.

The feedback you guys gave last time was, aside from track-specific errors like getting the line wrong, that my driving overall is excessively smooth and conservative, and I should try to get to the limit. Well, I think I see the same issue in my Spa laptimes, but I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how to action that feedback. When I try to push harder, I end up in the wall or messing up the lines entirely. I wonder if it's just a matter of continuing to be smooth and consistent until my car control skills improve over time (like any skill), or if you guys can see a pattern in my Spa laps, that's comparable to the Monza laps, something specific that I can adjust.

There's a few line & gearing issues in this lap, shifting gears mid-corner and such while I'm experimenting with what feels better. If those make it hard to see driving patterns, I'll come back once the track is more learned.

https://streamable.com/pujj3h

Dhalphir on
    edited April 2020
    I'm no pro at ACC, hell, I haven't even driven at Spa yet, but from the comfy confines of my arm chair I would encourage you to see how it feels turning in more rapidly. Have in your mind that your big, bulky car can only really accelerate if the front tyres are pointing dead straight. Maximise the time your front tyres are straight and be more aggressive in turning in and unwinding lock.

Your lines look pretty good! I think you're gonna have a lot of fun wringing a few tenths out of that bastard

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    The great Sir Stirling Moss, one of the all-time greats of F1 and probably the greatest driver never to win the World Championship, has died at the age of 90 after a long illness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52261216

Another legend gone :(
    Glad he lived as long as he did though, especially given how notoriously dangerous racing was in his era.

My favourite Stirling Moss anecdote was from the legendary Mille Miglia, with Denis Jenkinson (usually a journalist) as his co-driver/navigator. Jenkinson expressed some understandable nervousness about how close Moss was getting to the edge of some precipitous drops, with no barriers in those days of course, and Moss apparently said, very cheerfully, "Don't worry, old boy, if you go over, I'm coming with you!"

Saw on NASCAR's youtube channel that they're next virtual race will be at Monza.

Veevee wrote: »
    Saw on NASCAR's youtube channel that they're next virtual race will be at Monza.

I can't even conceive of how a stock car will get through that first chicane.

oldmanken wrote: »

I can't even conceive of how a stock car will get through that first chicane.

See the V8 Supercar race last week at Monza for a preview to what awaits

steam_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I really like nascar best at road courses and super speedways. I’m like the weird nascar fan that is bored by short ovals when everyone else seems to like them best. Road courses are best because they just are no matter what cars are being raced. And I like Talladega, Daytona, and Indianapolis (which the Internet is telling me isn’t a “super” speedway because it doesn’t exceed 2.5 miles but is rather exactly 2.5 miles, so whatever!) speedways for the close racing and fuel/tire strategy involved.

Anyways, I’ve been playing F1 2019 heavily in career mode, restarting my career with ever increasing AI difficulty. It’s fun making that Williams car race on the edge against the midfield and occasionally dive bombing Hamilton to snatch victory only to reset the game and higher difficulty and get better again.

I’ve also started watching all the Monaco GPs available on F1TV since I already paid for it. They are offering 1 month free for anyone else that wants to check out the archive.

davidsdurions on
    I really like nascar best at road courses and super speedways. I’m like the weird nascar fan that is bored by short ovals when everyone else seems to like them best. Road courses are best because they just are no matter what cars are being raced. And I like Talladega, Daytona, and Indianapolis (which the Internet is telling me isn’t a “super” speedway because it doesn’t exceed 2.5 miles but I’d rather exactly 2.5 miles, so whatever!) speedways for the close racing and fuel/tire strategy involved.

I'm right there with you, except I also love Bristol because I grew up going to the local half mile so it's got the nostalgia going for it

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, if I ever lived near a racetrack that would immediately be my favorite forever. So I guess the the high bank dirt short track down the road from me is still on my list. Now I want to see nascar on that thing!

edited April 2020
    Went down a bit of a youtube hole looking at videos of races at the local track.

Thought I'd share one from May 31 of last year, mostly cause it features my cousin being a bit of an idiot within the first minute or so (He's in the Black and White with blue highlights #15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIj52Hv8jV8

Veevee on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So, NASCAR's Kyle Larson was in a live iRacing event, used a racial slur when speaking to his spotter.

Except he was speaking to the whole group, not privately to his spotter.

So now he's suspended indefinitely from iRacing. And his team, Chip Ganassi Racing. And NASCAR. And Chevrolet. And his two biggest sponsors, Credit One Bank and McDonalds are terminating thier partnerships.

That's a pretty big whoops.

edited April 2020
    French President Emmanuel Macron has said that restrictions on public events in France will continue until at least mid-July. Although F1 itself has yet to clarify the situation, as it seems unlikely that an event that attracted 135,000 spectators last year would be included in France's initial easing of their lockdown restrictions, that basically means you can add the French GP to the "postponed" pile. That'll probably get confirmed tomorrow, or at least very soon.

Jazz on
    edited April 2020
    NASCAR on the Monza oval with 62 Cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4vcfBcpxtM

Actually, I think I recommend watching from 2019 IndyCar champ Josef Newgarden's perspective
    Edit: From a week ago, but don't rage quit an event you're being paid to be part of https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/bubba-wallace-loses-sponsorship-after-rage-quitting-during-nascar-iracing-event/

Veevee on
    I just think it's highly humorous that as soon as you give NASCAR drivers a forum that isn't tightly controlled by NASCAR public affairs, they collectively melt down within a couple of weeks.

Dabbled with a lap around Baku un F1 2019. Best I could manage in the williams was a 1.41.854 (using a controller).
    Frustrating thing is I know I could save anywhere up to 3 tenths when I get T1/2 right, but any time I do I end up messing up the rest of the lap.

Baku is a beast. Especially on controller because you need to be very rhythmic and precise with the turns on multiple portions of the track in order to both get a good time and not bin it into a wall.

Oh god I hate this track. 90° turns everywhere. The most interesting part is actually the Castle section and the 3 corners afterwards, but I hate the circuit enough to not want to bother.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Yeah, I can't be arsed to do another lap. I legitimately hate this track.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Don't feel too bad, even the pros have difficulty with sim Baku

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I was just given the green light to buy a wheel, but the only T300 RS I can find is on Amazon with an expected delivery date of May 11. I do see the logitech wheel is available, so I might have to get that

edited April 2020
    I was just given the green light to buy a wheel, but the only T300 RS I can find is on Amazon with an expected delivery date of May 11. I do see the logitech wheel is available, so I might have to get that

I would have to think hard about that one: belt-driven being smoother (and quieter) than the gear-driven Logitech's is such an advantage, specially playing at night. :lol:

I'm seriously eyeing the Club Sport V3 pedals for later this year for my first upgrade. But after that? One frikken nice wheel that doesn't rattle all the way.
    Don't feel too bad, even the pros have difficulty with sim Baku

That explains why everyone in today's race was saying "who's gonna do the Charles?" :lol:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    The look on his face as he turns to the camera. Fucking gold.

edited April 2020
    1:42.032.
    912w4c6thr9b.jpg

Might have another crack at it tomorrow, not sure yet. But for now, @Veevee , the bragging rights are still yours!

altid wrote: »
    Dabbled with a lap around Baku un F1 2019. Best I could manage in the williams was a 1.41.854 (using a controller).
    Frustrating thing is I know I could save anywhere up to 3 tenths when I get T1/2 right, but any time I do I end up messing up the rest of the lap.

Actually, I sit corrected. That's good enough to take it, so far, by fifteen thousandths; chuck it in the spreadsheet, @altid !

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.