As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Color shifting glitter arrived today, and a couple of layers of it over the purple metallic gives me exactly what I was looking for:

801eskyaku2g.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Color shifting glitter arrived today, and a couple of layers of it over the purple metallic gives me exactly what I was looking for:

801eskyaku2g.png

Oooh that is so awesome! I love it!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    That looks neat!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Got the mask spray painted black and masked off for the purple paint.

omgchg81x6x0.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Posting my entire Starship Troopers collection!

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    Painting complete. Since I still have to wait on the LED stuff, I'll probably start work on painting the Claymore next.

9fejsnc9wl6m.jpg359x8revvbjt.jpg

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    All that's missing from the helmet is a tinted or mirrored visor and she'll be ready to biotic charge headfirst into combat :mrgreen:

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Brain: You know, if you got this, you'd be very close to a complete set of S1 Decepticons.

Me: Quiet you.

Brain: No, seriously, you'd just need 3 refraktors and you'd be golden.

Me: I said shut up.

Brain: And then you can get all of the S1 Autobots and

Me: Mofo I WILL CUT YOU!.

Brain: You know, if you got this, you'd be very close to a complete set of S1 Decepticons.

Me: Quiet you.

Brain: No, seriously, you'd just need 3 refraktors and you'd be golden.

Me: I said shut up.

Brain: And then you can get all of the S1 Autobots and

Me: Mofo I WILL CUT YOU!.

Hand: Ordered! Now shut the heck up before I slap the both of you!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Your "friends" on the Internet: Good choice, very good choice, we applaud and support your decision.

Listen, I'm not going to buy any transformers so you guys have to. It's you fanly duty!

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    So I'm getting a little bored in self-isolation and might be looking for a new hobby.

Can you recommend to me a Transformer set that I could find in Target or Walmart?

oh h*ck
    Turkson wrote: »
    So I'm getting a little bored in self-isolation and might be looking for a new hobby.

Can you recommend to me a Transformer set that I could find in Target or Walmart?

Depends on what you want. Are you a G1 (original cartoon) Transformers fan? Target and Walmart might have some of the newer versions called either War for Cybertron Siege or Earthrise. These are neat fiddling toys to have and have homage to the original cartoon. They also have some newer cartoon toys called Cyberverse but I think they're aimed more at kids. Then they have these new toys called Bot Bots that are real world things that transform into robotish looking things. These are fun small toys.

Then Walmart has the original G1 toys that are exclusive. You might be able to find Soundwave, his cassettes, or Astrotrain on the shelves. But milage may vary and honestly they are a bit hard to find thanks to scalpers.

Honestly some of these toys might be hard to find certain ones thanks to scalpers and hoarders. Which is why most of us buy the ones we want online.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Also, in the World We Live In Right Now, I would recommend buying stuff online rather than at physical stores for more reasons than just availability.

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I bought the Siege Ultra Magnus on amazon. I remember having him as a toy when I was much, much younger.

oh h*ck
    I bought the Siege Ultra Magnus on amazon. I remember having him as a toy when I was much, much younger.

Report in when you get him and hopefully you'll have fun.

oosik_betsuni.png
    So I want to begin this post with a story. A month ago there was supposed to be a convention in Florida called TFCon in Orlando. Well we all know what happened (COVID-19) and the convention was cancelled but the con exclusives were put online for people to buy. Well I'm a sucker for con exclusives and honestly I wanted to check both of the molds out so I bought them. The two toys I bought are known as third party (or non-licensed) Transformers made from a company called Mastermind Creations. The human female looking robot is named Ocular Max PS-04P Azalea Protoform while the feline is named Ocular Max RMX-14 Doccat. These two are based off of the Transformers Prototype G1 toy of Arcee and Glit who was a different color version of G1 Ravage toy.

I'm actually happy that I managed to get a copy of both since they are quite interesting. The Doccat is a pretty neat engineering transformation process. His alt mode is actually the same size of a real cassette tape. I love the colors of Doccat, the blue parts on his legs are all metal and actually quite heavy. The amount of joints on him allows some crazy poses and it is really nice to have. Meanwhile I have not transformed Azalea yet. She came in her humanoid form and I just had time to play "poses" with her. My wife laughed at her and was having fun posing Azalea in a lot of funny poses. Then came up with the idea of the photos below.

I apologize for my use of Paint to merge them together, but I wanted to capture this as soon as I could.
    Azalea_proto_YMCA.png

So after that I had to play with the two together. So please enjoy the photos. I probably will have more when I transform Azalea, but I just wanted to share my two new toys.
    Azalea_Glit_02.png
    Azalea_Glit_01.png

oosik_betsuni.png
    Hey, cool! @Betsuni, I've been walking in circles around some of the other repaints of those molds. The colors on Doccat don't do much for me, but I'm considering their other con-exclusive Ravage, the one with a more animation-accurate paint scheme. While I kind of like the wildness of Azalea Protoform, I'm more interested at the Azalea Alternative, which has slightly different shades of color from the original Azalea, and also high heels (which is actually a bit of a disappointment for me, but I don't think they're removable). Let me know what you think of the molds!

My only real concern about Azalea Alternative is that based on all the photos, she looks extremely plasticy. Like, she is Very Obviously A Toy, which feels a bit weird when placed alongside their other toys, which look more sophisticated.

edited April 2020
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Hey, cool! Betsuni, I've been walking in circles around some of the other repaints of those molds. The colors on Doccat don't do much for me, but I'm considering their other con-exclusive Ravage, the one with a more animation-accurate paint scheme. While I kind of like the wildness of Azalea Protoform, I'm more interested at the Azalea Alternative, which has slightly different shades of color from the original Azalea, and also high heels (which is actually a bit of a disappointment for me, but I don't think they're removable). Let me know what you think of the molds!

My only real concern about Azalea Alternative is that based on all the photos, she looks extremely plasticy. Like, she is Very Obviously A Toy, which feels a bit weird when placed alongside their other toys, which look more sophisticated.

I guess I didn't mention it in my post but I have been thinking about getting one of each mold for a while now. Long story behind spoiler.
    For example, I saw the Jaguar mold a few years ago and didn't buy it since I was a "TakaraTomy/Hasbro" only mentality back then. Not to bore everyone with my decisions to change that, I was tempted with getting at least the "blue" version of Jaguar since everybody raved how cool the mold is and there was now two runs of the toy that I missed out on. I kept on trying to convince myself to buy one but just couldn't pull the trigger. Then last year there was a third run on the original mold that I passed on since I just couldn't justify having one on my shelf (thus missed out on a third run). I'm glad I passed on the third run since there seems to be some people who don't like how either the wings on the hip missiles don't lay flat with each other (you can see a bit of it in my photos) or the chrome flaking off on them. Then there was the "animation cel colored" version you are debating on. I passed on it after seeing the photos and the colors were not actually the same shade like in the cartoon. Plus it was a bit more since it included the cage and I don't have Hound to recreate that scene. So when I saw Doccat pop up and with the whole COVID-19 thing, I decided to try and help those toy companies who spent some of their money to pay MMC to make the version. Plus I still did want to pick up a Jaguar mold one day and the colors were so different that I don't have anything to compare it with (besides the original G1 toy).

The same thing happened with Azalea, except that it was more I waited to see how well the mold was after I was slightly disappointed with my X-Transbots Savant (Skids). People raved how awesome she was so my curiosity was piqued. Missed out on the first run of course since I was buying other things at the time. I didn't want to pay for the con exclusive Azalea Stealth or Zinnia since I wasn't THAT into the character. I almost pre-ordered the Azalea Alternative (the pinker one with the Stealth heel feet) around Christmas since eBay had an offer for I think 10% eBay bucks and on top of a 5% discount a Chinese seller I like buying from made it pretty reasonable. I didn't because of how long I'd have to wait (which is funny since now I think it'll be even longer of a wait) pushing it out of the refund window if I did buy it. I even asked @Heatwave how he liked the mold since he has both the Stealth and original and he liked them. Even said that Stealth with her heels was surprisingly stable. So like Doccat, luckily this one came around and I bought it in a heartbeat. Mainly because she isn't that much more than the Azalea Alternative at pre-order.

I haven't played much with Azalea yet, but from my handling of her to pose in those photos her plastic is no different than my X-Transbots Savant (Skids) or Arcadia Macross Valkyrie VF-1J (and to an extent the wings on my Masterpiece Ramjet). Which is to say it feels like a thinner plastic feeling than the thicker plastic the mainline Hasbro Transformers I have on my shelves. Honestly it is more of the shine they gave the plastic than how flimsy it feels. Yeah the thinner parts do have that plastic (almost cheap) feel to it, but it isn't all that terrible. The thing I think is that they made it so that her robot mode has all of the joints to pose her (even has hinges to allow the feet to fold like real feet when kneeling), as well as make her look like an action figure, that I can imagine the transformation being a real pain in the rear. I'm almost afraid of transforming her.... HAHAHAHAHA. This is one thing though that partially bugs me with the direction 3P toys and even Takara seems to be going with their Masterpiece line. I love the look of them, but man are the toys really fiddly. What I mean is that to get a really awesome pose that the toy allows, you end up pushing a piece out of place, something falls off a peg/hook, or the the friction of a joint fails and the entire piece flops over. On one hand it allows some crazy shots, but takes a lot of time to pose just right. Heck I can see some annoying faults like this in the photos I took last night. But man, do they look great once you do get them posed and on a shelf.

Luckily I have the mainline Transformer toys to play with like I want to. You can get some neat poses out of them too, but they don't seem to always fall apart posing them. Ok, yeah one or two here and there do, but overall they are much sturdier. I can now see why they say these toys are more for adults than kids. Although as a kid I'm sure I wouldn't care one bit that they were fiddly since imagination takes over.

Sorry for the long rant, but I just wanted to write all of this down.

Edit: I was trying to pose Azalea to stand on my desk and realized why it is hard for me to get her to pose right. I remembered I said that the Stealth Azalea had heels. Well I think that the designers had heels in mind and took them off for reasons. Well the heel of the foot area and front half sort of have this natural tendency to flex and want to lay flat as if there was a heel there. Guessing this is why Heatwave said that the heeled version was surprisingly balanced even though she looks like she should fall over. Also wanted to mention that the designers made her metal from the knees down to have enough weight to support the rest of the body.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2020
    Please, by all means, talk as much about toys as you want. I love reading it!

I never thought much about the behind-the-scenes of con exclusives; I just kinda assumed that if there's an MMC variant of a figure, that means that MMC decided to do a variant of a figure. When you say "I decided to try and help those toy companies who spent some of their money to pay MMC to make the version", that suggests this isn't the case. So someone else funds MMC doing this variant?

The main thing turning me off of this Ravage mold is the fact that the two left and right neck halves (and torso halves, I think) don't connect to each other. Seems like they'd easily slide out of sync as you pose the toy, but to be honest it kinda bothers me on just a conceptual level. Why not have a peg to connect them? Or a latch that swings over from one side? The cage, like you, I also don't really have a use for it, but it seems like I don't have a choice if I want this mold. Either it's the more familiar color scheme and the cage, or this more niche scheme and no cage. I'm still wavering on whether or not I want it, but the novelty of a Ravage that turns into an actual cassette is pretty appealing. They also have a Buzzsaw and Laserbeak in the same style (although those might be sold out everywhere, since they're relatively old), but those have the same "a body part is made out of two symmetric pieces that just lie flat against each other without connecting", but there it's even worse: it's the two wings. Each is made of a top and bottom half that are mirror images of each other, and they just kinda... lie one on top of the other. Very puzzling.

Yeah, the shininess of the plastic is a big part of the toy look I was referring to. I just looked up @Heatwave 's old posts about Azalea; I think I like the looks of the stealth version more, because the darker plastics seem to have less of a sheen to them. Maybe? Maybe it's just the photos? I dunno, I look at that and the upcoming Masterpiece, and I'm not sure which I like more. The Masterpiece alt-mode looks the best of all the MP-style Arcees I've seen, but the robot mode has some really weird design elements that haven't really been clarified. Are they conscious choices, mis-transformed display models, or work-in-progress bits that will be tweaked for the final release?

In terms of transformations being fiddly, I used to think "I don't understand why these reviewers are complaining, these videos make it seem fine". Now that I've gotten some of the modern MP-style toys, boy, I'm starting to really come around to the "sometimes a transformation is just too much" view. I got the Fans Toys Roadking recently, and that took me maybe 40 minutes to transform the first time. From what I understand, Fans Toys is particularly guilty of this. They get really great-looking alt and robot modes, but the price seems to be a transformation from hell. Their Rouge (not-Arcee) and Jabber (not-Blurr) are notorious for having really frustrating transformations, where the toy just kinda falls apart into a million little pieces held together by armatures that you then have to coerce into a different configuration. Their more recent designs seem to be much more manageable.

I've gotten a whole bunch of different toys over then last couple of months, but haven't had the time to take all the photos I want before posting about them here.

Delduwath on
    The main thing turning me off of this Ravage mold is the fact that the two left and right neck halves (and torso halves, I think) don't connect to each other. Seems like they'd easily slide out of sync as you pose the toy, but to be honest it kinda bothers me on just a conceptual level. Why not have a peg to connect them? Or a latch that swings over from one side? The cage, like you, I also don't really have a use for it, but it seems like I don't have a choice if I want this mold. Either it's the more familiar color scheme and the cage, or this more niche scheme and no cage. I'm still wavering on whether or not I want it, but the novelty of a Ravage that turns into an actual cassette is pretty appealing. They also have a Buzzsaw and Laserbeak in the same style (although those might be sold out everywhere, since they're relatively old), but those have the same "a body part is made out of two symmetric pieces that just lie flat against each other without connecting", but there it's even worse: it's the two wings. Each is made of a top and bottom half that are mirror images of each other, and they just kinda... lie one on top of the other. Very puzzling.
    Just re-watched a review of the Buzzsaw/Laserbeak, and it points out that the wing halves actually have magnets in them to keep the wings together, so disregard everything I said about that, I'm a liar. They still are for sale at a bunch of places, too, but only as two-packs. Which is too bad, I'd really only want one of 'em.

Also watched another review of the Ravage, and the reviewer said that he liked how the lines of it were curved and organic, and the fact that the two neck and chest halves slide against each other almost replicates how the bones and muscles of a real cat could move under the skin, and now I'm... probably 180 on my previous opinion, and fully on board? And will probably click "Buy"?

It's possible that I'm exhausted and stressed out by current world events and their effect on my daily life, and am engaging in extremely frivolous retail therapy.

edited April 2020
    Please, by all means, talk as much about toys as you want. I love reading it!

I never thought much about the behind-the-scenes of con exclusives; I just kinda assumed that if there's an MMC variant of a figure, that means that MMC decided to do a variant of a figure. When you say "I decided to try and help those toy companies who spent some of their money to pay MMC to make the version", that suggests this isn't the case. So someone else funds MMC doing this variant?

Yeah, the shininess of the plastic is a big part of the toy look I was referring to. I just looked up @Heatwave 's old posts about Azalea; I think I like the looks of the stealth version more, because the darker plastics seem to have less of a sheen to them. Maybe? Maybe it's just the photos? I dunno, I look at that and the upcoming Masterpiece, and I'm not sure which I like more. The Masterpiece alt-mode looks the best of all the MP-style Arcees I've seen, but the robot mode has some really weird design elements that haven't really been clarified. Are they conscious choices, mis-transformed display models, or work-in-progress bits that will be tweaked for the final release?

In terms of transformations being fiddly, I used to think "I don't understand why these reviewers are complaining, these videos make it seem fine". Now that I've gotten some of the modern MP-style toys, boy, I'm starting to really come around to the "sometimes a transformation is just too much" view. I got the Fans Toys Roadking recently, and that took me maybe 40 minutes to transform the first time. From what I understand, Fans Toys is particularly guilty of this. They get really great-looking alt and robot modes, but the price seems to be a transformation from hell. Their Rouge (not-Arcee) and Jabber (not-Blurr) are notorious for having really frustrating transformations, where the toy just kinda falls apart into a million little pieces held together by armatures that you then have to coerce into a different configuration. Their more recent designs seem to be much more manageable.

I've gotten a whole bunch of different toys over then last couple of months, but haven't had the time to take all the photos I want before posting about them here.
    Just re-watched a review of the Buzzsaw/Laserbeak, and it points out that the wing halves actually have magnets in them to keep the wings together, so disregard everything I said about that, I'm a liar. They still are for sale at a bunch of places, too, but only as two-packs. Which is too bad, I'd really only want one of 'em.

Also watched another review of the Ravage, and the reviewer said that he liked how the lines of it were curved and organic, and the fact that the two neck and chest halves slide against each other almost replicates how the bones and muscles of a real cat could move under the skin, and now I'm... probably 180 on my previous opinion, and fully on board? And will probably click "Buy"?

It's possible that I'm exhausted and stressed out by current world events and their effect on my daily life, and am engaging in extremely frivolous retail therapy.

I honestly don't know if Ages 3 and Up and Toy Dojo pay MMC to make these exclusives but I think they do at least ask them for a "special" version for the cons at least. At least that's what I know of other industries, but yeah I'm just guessing that they pay them some sort of compensation for even considering the different versions. Unless it is just one of those, "we'll order # amount of whatever you make something special" type deals. So don't base your judgement on that part of my post just because that's what I feel is done.

To be honest, I am just happy to have these two in my collection since they were one of those, "I really like what I see here" when looking at them online. But given that these are my 8th and 9th 3P purchases I'm slowly not impressed by the whole 3P scene. To be honest, they really do some crazy engineering which I admire but those crazy engineering is honestly turning me off since I like to fiddle with my Transformers ya know? To me, they are something meant for me to enjoy transforming and not having to fiddle with pieces just to make them stay put. Even though the last two Transformer Masterpieces are indeed complex, I can still transform them after fiddling around with them. Some of my 3P pieces on the other hand are in one mode or another just because I don't enjoy transforming them. There are the exceptions which are now Doccat (it is really easy to transform him) and Richthofen (DX9's version of Powerglide). Even though those two are easy to transform, there are some loose parts that just need more touching up with something else to make them stand still. But this is just me and my opinion on what I like. I really hate writing bad things about something since I really don't mean to ruin other's fun and enjoyment on something I don't like. Which is why I usually keep these sort of things to myself. So if you are reading this, and like the 3P toys you have please enjoy them and don't let me ruin your fun. Just think of me as that slightly crabby old man who is sitting on his porch.

As for the Doccat/Jaguar/Catcall mold itself. Yeah it is really a pain to pose with the "shoulders and neck" not tabbed into each other. It would be nice if they did tab in somehow, but honestly looking at it I can see why they can't since it would look weird in tape mode. I took some extra photos below to show off how neat it is and also how much of a pain it is to pose him by leaving the parts off and see if it triggers you. What sucks is that I really do like toy since it is a really neat idea of how to make a tape look like a more realistic robot cat, but it is just missing little things that would make it completely awesome.
    doccat_01.jpg
    doccat_02.jpg
    doccat_03.jpg
    doccat_04.jpg

As for your comments about Azalea. I am still going to get the MP-51 Arcee if it isn't as bad QC wise as Hound was. Just because I would like to see how Takara handles the design and engineering. Part of me wishes that Takara would go back to the designs more like Inferno (Grapple), Ironhide (Ratchet), and even Wheeljack where they somehow made magic and allow some posing but still a solid toy all around without panels folding all over the place.

You know, that last sentence of your second post might be the reason I also purchased these. I'm in a mood where I feel lucky enough to still be working and making money so I want to try and do my part to keep others employed wherever they are. Especially those who are involved with my hobbies of toys. Hahahahaha.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I honestly don't know if Ages 3 and Up and Toy Dojo pay MMC to make these exclusives but I think they do at least ask them for a "special" version for the cons at least. At least that's what I know of other industries, but yeah I'm just guessing that they pay them some sort of compensation for even considering the different versions. Unless it is just one of those, "we'll order # amount of whatever you make something special" type deals. So don't base your judgement on that part of my post just because that's what I feel is done.
    I've seen these on many different stores (The Chosen Prime, TFSource, etc), so if it's online stores that request these, it's more than just those two. To me, it would make more sense if TFCon organizers solicited the models rather than the stores, but I'm also just guessing.
    But given that these are my 8th and 9th 3P purchases I'm slowly not impressed by the whole 3P scene [...] [the] crazy engineering is honestly turning me off since I like to fiddle with my Transformers ya know? [...] I really hate writing bad things about something since I really don't mean to ruin other's fun and enjoyment on something I don't like. Which is why I usually keep these sort of things to myself.
    I don't think you need to apologize for anything. You're not saying "these figures are trash, and if you like them then you are trash", you're saying "these don't do the things that I enjoy". That is extremely reasonable! This thread is for posting cool photos of our toys, but I think it's also for talking about those toys. Further, I think everyone here is really cool and is discussing this stuff in good faith, so I don't think you need to feel like you have to bite your tongue so as not to harsh other people's fun. I think you can bring stuff up, explain where you're coming from, and we'll all chew on it and chat about it.

(I've been spending more time reading TFW2005 threads for up-to-the-minute news on 3P toys, and hoo-boy, nothing has ever made me appreciate the community and mod team of the PA forums more.)

I've been inadvertently doing a lot of soul-searching about my relationship with toys over the last five months or so. I used to be all about the cool transformations, and would buy toys that had something about the transformation that appealed to me. I thought it was weird when collectors would say that they don't like complex transformations, and indeed don't like to transform their toys at all, just put them on a shelf to look at. Isn't that why we're buying transformers? To transform 'em?

The truth, though, is that I don't really have time to fiddle with my toys anymore. The even more honest truth is that I haven't had the desire to fiddle with them for even longer. I would buy them, play with them for a bit, enjoy the process a lot, then put them on a shelf or in a drawer and never touch them again. So now that I've started thinking about it actively, thinking about what I find pleasing, I realize that looking at a shelf with some cool toys does, in fact, make me happy. The same way that looking at a nice painting or a statue or a vase might make one happy. Maybe I don't need 100 cool toys in a drawer; maybe I need 10 impressive-looking toys on a shelf. Maybe I'm actually one of these people who doesn't play with his toys, and just looks at them! The call has been coming from inside the house the whole time, oh noooooo!

I'll talk about this a bit more when I finally get off my butt and take some more photos of Roadking, since Fans Toys is the king of Beautiful To Look At But Don't Think About Transforming Them. For now, I'll say that I think Roadking is gorgeous, a genuine work of art, aesthetically. I can see now why people praise a wide application of paint on a toy, because this thing radiates high production-value. By comparison, the MMC Combaticons look cheap.

(The MMC Combaticons are awesome, I will also one day post photos of them.)

All that being said, I think it makes complete sense to feel dissatisfied with display-pieces that are hostile to being played-with. That's doesn't make you grouchy or irrational.

Also, can I recommend giving some 3P Legends a try? Iron Factory makes some chunky, great-looking, and very playable toys, as long as you don't mind a more IDW aesthetic. Newage makes incredible-looking G1-style toys that are a bit more fiddly, but still quite playable. Magic Square also has some good Legends, but (based solely on video reviews) I personally rank them a bit lower. However, I found out a few days ago that they are doing a limited, non-metallic reissue of Light of Justice, their Legends-scale Optimus Prime that's like a tiny version of their MP Optimus Prime, and I browsed to pre-order it so fast that my modem started smoking. I also recently ordered their Legends not-Reflector, and their upcoming Legends not-Soundwave looks great; I will report when I get them.
    [Doccat photos]
    Those look really cool. The colors actually work really well together. Too bad the head doesn't articulate up, though.

Azalea's transformation is very intuitive so don't be too scared about it. It's also very fun to transform.

Only thing to worry about really is pushing the chest piece down enough to lock in. It's nerve racking first time.

Also you'll want to lift the backpack hinges a bit and moving them backward for robot mode as its easier and avoids concerns about stressing or breaking the plastic.

Also, yes the default Azalea flat feels suck, which is a shame given how the rest of the figure is great.,

I think I might have ordered the Azalea Alternative (same heels as Stealth). The Stealth high heels just work and are more forgiving while posing than the flats.

Also I really want to get the MMC Jaguar/Ravage but the black version is out of stock everywhere, and the othjer colors don't interest me.

But I shouldn't considering the only thing I've opened lately is MMC Swindle, Seige Starscream, Thundercracker and Smashdown.

I still have my stick from last year and early this year to open, but haven't because I haven't been in the mood to take photos while transforming them/playing with them.

Going back to swindle though, his arms are ridiculously stiff and transforming him into leg mode was a bit tricky. Didn't didn;'t feel like transforming him into jeep mode so he'll stay as a leg until I get the rest of the MMC combaticons

P2n5r3l.jpg
    edited April 2020
    I've seen these on many different stores (The Chosen Prime, TFSource, etc), so if it's online stores that request these, it's more than just those two. To me, it would make more sense if TFCon organizers solicited the models rather than the stores, but I'm also just guessing.
    But given that these are my 8th and 9th 3P purchases I'm slowly not impressed by the whole 3P scene [...] [the] crazy engineering is honestly turning me off since I like to fiddle with my Transformers ya know? [...] I really hate writing bad things about something since I really don't mean to ruin other's fun and enjoyment on something I don't like. Which is why I usually keep these sort of things to myself.
    I don't think you need to apologize for anything. You're not saying "these figures are trash, and if you like them then you are trash", you're saying "these don't do the things that I enjoy". That is extremely reasonable! This thread is for posting cool photos of our toys, but I think it's also for talking about those toys. Further, I think everyone here is really cool and is discussing this stuff in good faith, so I don't think you need to feel like you have to bite your tongue so as not to harsh other people's fun. I think you can bring stuff up, explain where you're coming from, and we'll all chew on it and chat about it.

(I've been spending more time reading TFW2005 threads for up-to-the-minute news on 3P toys, and hoo-boy, nothing has ever made me appreciate the community and mod team of the PA forums more.)

I've been inadvertently doing a lot of soul-searching about my relationship with toys over the last five months or so. I used to be all about the cool transformations, and would buy toys that had something about the transformation that appealed to me. I thought it was weird when collectors would say that they don't like complex transformations, and indeed don't like to transform their toys at all, just put them on a shelf to look at. Isn't that why we're buying transformers? To transform 'em?

The truth, though, is that I don't really have time to fiddle with my toys anymore. The even more honest truth is that I haven't had the desire to fiddle with them for even longer. I would buy them, play with them for a bit, enjoy the process a lot, then put them on a shelf or in a drawer and never touch them again. So now that I've started thinking about it actively, thinking about what I find pleasing, I realize that looking at a shelf with some cool toys does, in fact, make me happy. The same way that looking at a nice painting or a statue or a vase might make one happy. Maybe I don't need 100 cool toys in a drawer; maybe I need 10 impressive-looking toys on a shelf. Maybe I'm actually one of these people who doesn't play with his toys, and just looks at them! The call has been coming from inside the house the whole time, oh noooooo!

I'll talk about this a bit more when I finally get off my butt and take some more photos of Roadking, since Fans Toys is the king of Beautiful To Look At But Don't Think About Transforming Them. For now, I'll say that I think Roadking is gorgeous, a genuine work of art, aesthetically. I can see now why people praise a wide application of paint on a toy, because this thing radiates high production-value. By comparison, the MMC Combaticons look cheap.

(The MMC Combaticons are awesome, I will also one day post photos of them.)

All that being said, I think it makes complete sense to feel dissatisfied with display-pieces that are hostile to being played-with. That's doesn't make you grouchy or irrational.

Also, can I recommend giving some 3P Legends a try? Iron Factory makes some chunky, great-looking, and very playable toys, as long as you don't mind a more IDW aesthetic. Newage makes incredible-looking G1-style toys that are a bit more fiddly, but still quite playable. Magic Square also has some good Legends, but (based solely on video reviews) I personally rank them a bit lower. However, I found out a few days ago that they are doing a limited, non-metallic reissue of Light of Justice, their Legends-scale Optimus Prime that's like a tiny version of their MP Optimus Prime, and I browsed to pre-order it so fast that my modem started smoking. I also recently ordered their Legends not-Reflector, and their upcoming Legends not-Soundwave looks great; I will report when I get them.
    [Doccat photos]
    Those look really cool. The colors actually work really well together. Too bad the head doesn't articulate up, though.

That's good that you are trying to find out what really makes you happy with toys/transformers/etc. The thing is with these toys is that they are both art and toys these days. Perhaps you hit it on the head with adult collectors, we tend to not only play with them but put on display where we can get joy just looking at them sitting there. On my desk here at home I have a Year of the Goat Soundwave with his cassettes, Toy Version Masterpiece Megatron, an extra MP Ramjet (bought it from Big Bad Toy Store on a super fix sale), Arcadia Milia Valkyrie VF-1J, Nendroid Rey and BB-8, Lego Overwatch Wrecking Ball, Azalea Protoform, DX9 La Hire (waiting glue to fix the rear view mirror) and a The Last Knight Drift (since I was trying to fit him in my actual collection, but was fixing his weapon display). I've had my Soundwave and Megatron on top of my computer with Frenzy and Rumble playing those mini arcades (the little working arcade keychain games that I found at Walmart) with Lazerbeak standing watch. I pose all of them in different positions from time to time, but for the most part they are on display.

I'm beginning to warm up to Doccat to be honest. All the posing I have done for your photos and just leaving him on my desk has made me like him more and more. Yeah he is still a pain in the rear to pose, but I like doing it. Same as Azalea... So maybe I just need to get over the initial disappointment and just enjoy them for what they are, toys. I don't hate all of my 3P Transformers, just that they had some level of disappointment when I took them out of the box. Each one is really cool, but just not what I was looking for apparently. Oh yeah, I do have a Newage Barricade (whatever they called him) that I bought before Hasbro brought him out in the Siege line. Mainly because I liked the art that Guido did making him look like a G1 Datsun. To be honest I have had an idea brewing in my mind that I need to just go through with it. I do like the legends scale toys, but I sort of like the bigger bots. =P

Oh and yeah, being a member over at TFW2005 forums really makes you appreciate this place a whole heck of a lot more. Makes you want to give a huge hug to the entire crew here and a ton of money. Trust me, I was a super mod on a super popular forum and I can't stress enough that nobody could ever pay me enough to be one again.

I can't wait to see your other robots once you get around to taking photos. In fact I am waiting for the rest of the Seacons to take some photos to share here.

Heatwave wrote: »
    Azalea's transformation is very intuitive so don't be too scared about it. It's also very fun to transform.

Only thing to worry about really is pushing the chest piece down enough to lock in. It's nerve racking first time.

Also you'll want to lift the backpack hinges a bit and moving them backward for robot mode as its easier and avoids concerns about stressing or breaking the plastic.

Also, yes the default Azalea flat feels suck, which is a shame given how the rest of the figure is great.,

I think I might have ordered the Azalea Alternative (same heels as Stealth). The Stealth high heels just work and are more forgiving while posing than the flats.

Also I really want to get the MMC Jaguar/Ravage but the black version is out of stock everywhere, and the othjer colors don't interest me.

But I shouldn't considering the only thing I've opened lately is MMC Swindle, Seige Starscream, Thundercracker and Smashdown.

I still have my stick from last year and early this year to open, but haven't because I haven't been in the mood to take photos while transforming them/playing with them.

Going back to swindle though, his arms are ridiculously stiff and transforming him into leg mode was a bit tricky. Didn't didn;'t feel like transforming him into jeep mode so he'll stay as a leg until I get the rest of the MMC combaticons

Ah cool! I'll give Azalea a shot then. Especially since I want to see her alt mode at least once. Thanks for the tips!

Yay! I hope you did order the Azalea Alternative so I can see her in your collection. Like I said up above, theMMC Jaguar mold is growing on me and I can recommend him in any color you like. Especially if you like Ravage and wanted a bigger one.

Hopefully you get in an opening mood just to play with the toys that you have. I'm jealous of you all who have the courage to pick up the 3P combiners. They always look so awesome and intimidating.

My thanks for those of you who are looking at these walls of text and going, "Oh my, I just don't want to read all of this" but did so anyways. So for you, here's a photo I took last month of my toy display.

Spoilered for being so huge. My 3 3/4" Star Wars figures are like that because my Niece loves playing with them and I just quit trying to stand them all up after she leaves. So now they're a pile of figures.
    20200308_180847.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Nice! He’s a lot of fun, a solid modern take on the old toy

I really enjoy Siege Optimus. He’s got the Cybertron style and no trailer, but I like the transformation more than the Earthrise Optimus. Either one is a really solid OP though

Now is a pretty good time to get into Transformers actually, between Siege and Earthrise, there’s a lot of great fun takes on the classics.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's also a good time for longtime fans as Hasbo is just pumping out tons of more obscure characters.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I've never really had a Megatron figure that wasn't a Beast Wars one so I saw one of the Siege ones for only 18 bucks I hopped on. And then Amazon was like "spend 25 bucks it's free shipping" because I'm a cheapo who doesn't pay for prime anymore. So I look around for another one to add to my cart, and I see the this repaint of Shockwave that looks awesome, and it's only 30 bucks on sale. So I nab it. Didn't realize this is probably a limited edition so I felt bad opening the box, but it looks pretty sweet
    https://imgur.com/a/ogw4azA

I've never really had a Megatron figure that wasn't a Beast Wars one so I saw one of the Siege ones for only 18 bucks I hopped on. And then Amazon was like "spend 25 bucks it's free shipping" because I'm a cheapo who doesn't pay for prime anymore. So I look around for another one to add to my cart, and I see the this repaint of Shockwave that looks awesome, and it's only 30 bucks on sale. So I nab it. Didn't realize this is probably a limited edition so I felt bad opening the box, but it looks pretty sweet
    https://imgur.com/a/ogw4azA

I wouldn't worry about opening that Shockwave even though it is a special version. He's been "virtual shelf warming" for a while now since most people got the purple one who wanted a Shockwave. I waited for this version since I only had knockoffs of Shockwave growing up and the Radio Shack Shockwave is a perfect version for me.

Heck, Hasbro still has him available for retail price:

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-selects-wfc-gs03-galactic-man-shockwave

I didn't get the Siege Megatron even though he looks really good. Hopefully you like him.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It turns out I was correct and Hasbro Pulse is slow rolling out the nu-Scramble City Seacons for regular orders after fulfilling their preorders.

Also totally unrelated, I now have a Snaptrap Turtler and Skalor ordered.

Nobody on
    Nobody wrote: »
    It turns out I was correct and Hasbro Pulse is slow rolling out the nu-Scramble City Seacons for regular orders after fulfilling their preorders.

Crap, if I knew you were looking for them I'd have pinged you. This was the second round of non-pre-orders. Hopefully you'll be able to pick up the second two that already sold out of their first round.

oosik_betsuni.png

Crap, if I knew you were looking for them I'd have pinged you. This was the second round of non-pre-orders. Hopefully you'll be able to pick up the second two that already sold out of their first round.

I did not, but I'm keeping an eye out.

So this was spotted

2eg50pa56p78.jpg

I'm assuming they found it on a video, since the physical Smart Doll store has been closed due to coronavirus.

Neat, they have Lego Technics there. Oh and a Batgirl doll.
    Sorry, had to be a smart ass. Was the DC line part of his license or something that is new for him?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Sorry, had to be a smart ass. Was the DC line part of his license or something that is new for him?

Heh, it was announced that he had that license. He hasn't posted any pictures of doll prototypes except Supergirl though. This is the first glimpse of Batgirl which is one of the parts of that license I would actually like to have. (sorry Supergirl)

Cambiata wrote: »

Heh, it was announced that he had that license. He hasn't posted any pictures of doll prototypes except Supergirl though. This is the first glimpse of Batgirl which is one of the parts of that license I would actually like to have. (sorry Supergirl)

So good news for your collection. Bad news for your wallet. Gottit.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Nautilator and Seawing are showing up as available to preorder again on Hasbro Pulse. Ordered mine so two left

Nautilator and Seawing are showing up as available to preorder again on Hasbro Pulse. Ordered mine so two left

I just got the email and ran over here to alert you. Glad you snagged them.

oosik_betsuni.png

I just got the email and ran over here to alert you. Glad you snagged them.

The hazard of working from home is that I’m able to sit on certain sites all day and F5 them >.>

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Are there any Combiners that don't break into their component bots? I don't really like the flametoys devastator but it got me thinking I'd love to have a bruticus or devastator that actually can be posed other than bolt upright or in a pile on the floor because it fell over for the 15th time and now I just want to scream...

Wait what

This discussion has been closed.