As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Eldritch Horror PbP - Game Over - Yog-Sothoth Victory] Travel the world, go insane.

ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
edited July 2020 in Critical Failures
Do you like travelling the world? Exploring ancient wonders? Losing your sanity searching for a bookstore? Then I’ve got the game for you!

Eldritch horror is a cooperative game by Fantasy Flight Games, based on HP Lovecraft’s works. Here’s how FFG describe it:

An ancient evil is stirring. You are part of a team of unlikely heroes engaged in an international struggle to stop the gathering darkness. To do so, you’ll have to defeat foul monsters, travel to Other Worlds, and solve obscure mysteries surrounding this unspeakable horror. The effort may drain your sanity and cripple your body, but if you fail, the Ancient One will awaken and rain doom upon the known world.

Sound like fun? I’m looking for 4 or 5 investigators to try their luck solving the mysteries and fighting monsters.

Here's the board:
nbsymjqq6mv7.jpg

How do I play?

Each round is divided into three phases; Action, Encounter and Mythos. All the players take two actions during the action phase, then all the players encounter something in the world. Finally in the Mythos phase the Ancient One stirs in its slumber and things go badly for the world, usually.

The Action Phase

During the Action Phase each player, starting with the Lead Investigator, takes two actions from the spoilered list. No Investigator can repeat an action
1. Travel – The investigator moves to an adjacent point on the map. They may discard any train or ship tickets to travel an additional space for each ticket along the appropriate paths (one space along rails for a train, and so on).

2. Prepare for travel – If the investigator is in a City space, they can take a train or ship ticket. No investigator can hold more than two tickets.

3. Rest – If there are no monsters in the same space, the Investigator can rest to regain 1 health and 1 sanity.

4. Trade – The investigator can trade possessions (Assets, Artefacts, Clues, Spells, and tickets) with another investigator on the same space.

5. Acquire Assets – If there are no monsters in the same space, and it’s a city space, the investigator can make an Influence test to acquire an asset from the reserve. The Investigator may take one card with a value (top left corner) equal to or less than their number of successes. The Investigator may also take a Bank Loan, gaining a Debt condition in return for an additional two successes on the test. If they decide not to take a card, they may choose a card to discard which will then be replaced with a new card.

6. Component Actions – These are actions found on the various game components, such as Investigator cards and assets. Actions are denoted by “Action:” on the card. Actions with “Local Action:” may be done by any investigator in the same space as the card, not just the investigator in possession of it.
The Encounter Phase

Here, the Investigators interact with the world. Again, starting with the Lead Investigator, each investigator has an encounter from the ones in the spoiler.
1. Combat Encounters – If there are any monsters in the same space the Investigator must encounter the monsters. The investigator chooses the order in which the monsters are encountered, and resolves a combat against them in turn. If, after all combat encounters are complete, there are no monsters left in the space the Investigator may have an additional encounter.

2. Location Encounters – The investigator encounters the location they are in. If there are multiple options, the investigator chooses one. For example Rome is both surrounded by an orange border, denoting a Europe encounter, and has a city symbol allowing a general city encounter.

3. Token Encounters – These come from encountering various tokens on the board.
Clues → Research Encounter, required to collect the clue.
Gate → Other World Encounter, a trip to another world, which usually provides the opportunity to close the gate.
Active Expedition → Expedition Encounter, which can provide clues and artefacts.
Rumor → Required to solve Rumor Mythos cards, which have ongoing effects until solved.
Defeated Investigators → Encounter Dead/Insane investigators, take their stuff, and maybe learn something more.

The Mythos Phase

Once all investigators have finished their encounters, a Mythos card is drawn and things go downhill. A number of things happen, including spawning clues and gates opening. The most important to keep in mind are the Advance Omen (4 circles and an arrow) and Resolve Reckoning Effects (a red comet orbiting). When the Omen advances, the counter in the top right of the board moves clockwise, and then doom increases 1 for each gate with the new symbol. Doom is bad, and when doom hits 0 it’s game over. Resolve Reckoning effects activates (usually negative) effects on other game components, such as debt collectors coming to collect on your bank loan. If a card has a reckoning effect, it has a matching red symbol in the bottom right corner.

At the end of the Mythos phase the Lead Investigator may pass the token to the player of their choosing. This is also when new investigators will join if there are casualties.

How do we win?

Each Ancient One has a series of mysteries, randomly chosen. Each involves jumping through a number of hoops, usually killing monsters or collecting clue tokens and using them in certain ways. To win the game, the investigators must complete 3 mysteries and then the Final Mystery.

How do I fight a monster?

Fighting a monster usually involves two tests, a Wits test (to overcome the horror), and a Strength test (to actually kill it.) First the investigator tests Wits, and loses one sanity for each point of sanity damage the monster does that isn’t cancelled by a success. The the same for Strength. After the Strength test, the number of successes are applied as wounds to the monster, hopefully killing it.

What’s a test?

To achieve almost anything in this game, and Investigator has to make a test. To make a test, roll a number of d6 equal to the stat relevant to the test. Normally a 5 or 6 is a success. One success is enough to pass the test. If the Investigator is blessed, a 4 is also a success, however if they’re cursed only a 6 counts.

How about more details?

This is already getting pretty long. Luckily FFG provide all the rules for free here
If you want to read through the rules yourself, please go ahead. Otherwise I’ll explain things as they come up.
Another useful site is the wiki. It contains the details for all the cards that can come up.

Sign me up!

Alright! First, go here and choose one of the core set investigators.

Next, here and vote for one of the core set ancient ones, or Yig from Forsaken Lore. Or just leave it to chance.

Finally, how difficult should we make it? Please vote to either include or exclude easy or hard mythos cards.

Good luck, and don’t get eaten.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
Chrysis on

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Round 14 - Action Phase

Board:
    641ktealnutk.jpg

The current reserve consists of: Lucky Cigarette Case, Wireless Report, Fishing Net, and Enchanted Blade

Ancient One (Awake!):
    8u0f63nror1s.jpg

The current mystery is:
    4benxw9tei7i.png

Mysteries Solved: 2
    Doom: 0
    Mythos Cards Remaining: 2
    Eldritch Tokens on Rumor: 2 The White Ship has been solved!
    New Rumor on space 7! No countdown.

@jdarksun (Dark Pact, Paranoia, Leg Injury):
    jv4xzetamxez.jpg

@Phyphor (Lead Investigator, Paranoia x2):
    tlhn78bd6orz.jpg

@Daemonis (Amnesia):
    4879iklci0kq.jpg

@Auralynx (Eliminated):
    hfrjzov0ihui.jpg

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Chosen at random...
    Jim Culver
    Yog-Sothoth
    Include Hard cards

Also, you should advertise the game here! Some folk like me don't browse CF proper, and just notifications from the gaming index thread.

Good idea, and now it's done.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what I'm doing but sure I'm in

Let's see
    Norman Withers - THE STARS
    And no opinion on ancient one/difficulty

Welcome aboard. It's fine, in my experience it'll look like it's going well and then doom will skyrocket and you'll lose.

• DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Trish Scarborough
    Any Ancient One is ok. The harder the better :)

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Leo Anderson
    Yig
    No preference on difficulty.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Alright, we're up to 4 signups. I'm going to leave signups open about one more day and then get us started. The game can technically handle up to 8 players, but I'm going to cap it at 6 because 8 is almost certainly too cumbersome for PbP.

edited April 2020
    We're into the last window for signups. Anyone who is interested, please say so quickly. I'm going to start the game tonight, in about 6 or 7 hours.

Anyone is welcome, especially first timers.

Chrysis on
    edited April 2020
    Sorry for the delays. My regular working day got suddenly extended, and I didn't have the energy to get everything set up. But I'm ready now, so let's get going with 4 investigators. All the votes were for more difficulty, so I'm going to remove the easy cards. And two votes for ancient ones, so I'll let Geth decide your fate.

Geth roll 1d2 for Ancient One - 1 = Yig, 2 = Yog.

Yog-Sothoth it is.

Ancient One - 1 = Yig, 2 = Yog:
    1d2 2 [1d2=2]

Chrysis on
    edited April 2020
    And Round One begins!

A gate opens in Arkham, bringing with it a Skeleton to visit Norman Withers.
    Clues spawn in The Himalayas and the middle of the Outback, two very convenient places.
    The current reserve consists of: Cat Burglar, Conspiracy Theorist, Private Care, and Police Assistance

Humanity must not tamper with arcane energies. Yog-Sothoth is the very essence of magic, and a person under the influence of sorcery will inescapably become the Ancient One's puppet.

The current mystery is Arcane Understanding.
    Mystery Conditions:
    When an investigator passes a Lore test while resolving a Spell effect, he may spend 1 Clue and discard that Spell after he has finished resolving its effects. If he does, place 1 Eldritch token on this card.
    At the end of the Mythos phase, if there are Eldritch tokens on this card equal to the number of investigators, solve this Mystery.

Current Board - R1E:
    8wo9j6ea5mk7.jpg

Current Ancient One:
    asz4lc9upvxn.jpg

jdarksun (Lead Investigator):
    2paiw0ka7m0q.jpg

Phyphor:
    sywwktnykkid.jpg

Daemonis:
    gv0ivhvqym0p.jpg

Auralynx:
    xhrsrvuvhan3.jpg

@jdarksun You're up, to lead this team of investigators against the magical menace. Good luck! Remember you can change lead investigator at the end of the Mythos phase.

Chrysis on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    General question, anticipating what I might want to do on my turn as I'm familiar with the other FFG games of this sort but not Eldritch Horror:

Given that I'm Leo Anderson and all, should I just be rushing to The Heart of Africa to try tackling that expedition, or does it make more sense for me to try to build up some stuff first?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'll be honest, I've yet to win a game.

That being said, there are two countdown timers, doom and the mythos cards. Doom tends to increase in sudden spurts, and so can be unpredictable.

Rushing the heart of africa for possible clues or artefacts could be helpful, although I'd probably rush the outback to get the clue token and then trade to a spellcaster.

All right, let's see if I remember how to play this.

Actions:
    1. Travel to San Francisco
    2. Prepare to Travel (Boat)

Don't forget the little spaces can still be cities. It's not only the named ones.

Chrysis wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I've yet to win a game.

That being said, there are two countdown timers, doom and the mythos cards. Doom tends to increase in sudden spurts, and so can be unpredictable.

Rushing the heart of africa for possible clues or artefacts could be helpful, although I'd probably rush the outback to get the clue token and then trade to a spellcaster.

I could head to Sydney, then try to get hold of the Conspiracy Theorist next turn using my special action, I suppose.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'm on my way to Sydney, go for Africa if you like. That Conspiracy Theorist does look super useful, but we also need to be casting spells to pay down the mythos. So much to do in this game!

jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm on my way to Sydney, go for Africa if you like. That Conspiracy Theorist does look super useful, but we also need to be casting spells to pay down the mythos. So much to do in this game!

Except by staying here, since it looks like the local events tend to give spells, I'm not sure how much I can forward that effort immediately; my Lore appears low. Taking all suggestions though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Nah, I'm not saying stay, I'm just trying to figure out how to best use resources. I'm decent enough at spells and can recover sanity, so I'm going to try and help farm that.

I have decent lore, I can go farm spells too

1. Prepare (boat)
    2. Move to Buenos Aires, discarding ticket

@Daemonis

Move to Istanbul
    Gain a clue via my ability

@Chrysis

@Auralynx I meant

Ok, looks like:

Take a Boat Ticket
    Go to South Africa (Space 15) using same.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Alright. Encounter time!

I'm going to assume that you all want the most specific encounters you can get at this point, but in future if you could please say after your actions that would be appreciated.
    I'm also going to give all the encounters at once unless they start to effect one another.

Notes:
    Improve a skill is as it sounds. You get better at it. Any given skill can only be improved twice.

Detained conditions prevent you from taking any actions except the one on the condition itself. This is a chance to break out of jail. If you fail, as an encounter the condition is removed, along with some other negative effect usually.

Delayed is similar, you skip your actions next turn. You get a normal encounter and don't usually get beat up by the cops though.

Board:
    8wo9j6ea5mk7.jpg

jdarksun:
    atb8lawz2ay2.png

Phyphor:
    a9d9jfxugmw9.png

Daemonis:
    3uc0asd7imug.png

Auralynx:
    6hdzadn9qlgb.png

@jdarksun to go hunting for a weird skull.

ahaha Curse is awful

Geth, roll 2d6t5 to notice the symbol for curse

curse:
    2d6t5 1 [2d6t5=6, 1]

Geth, roll 2d6t5 to avoid the cops.

to avoid the cops.:
    2d6t5 1 [2d6t5=3, 6]

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Geth roll 3d6t5 for eldritch knowledge

eldritch knowledge:
    3d6t5 3 [3d6t5=6, 6, 5]

edited April 2020
    It was very effective

Whoops, wrong stat icon. Still passed though!

Phyphor on
    A good start so far, just @Daemonis left to make a decision on whether or not to relax in a Turkish bath chatting with the locals.

Improve Will, I guess. @Chrysis

Alright. I'm working for the next 6 hours, so mythos when I get home.

Alright, Let's get those results together.

jdarksun: Gets more perceptive, doesn't get cursed.
    Phyphor: Reads the Necronomicon, learns Blessing of Isis
    Daemonis: Has a bath, falls asleep, improves Will
    Auralynx: Talks to an undercover cop, buys a stick of Dynamite

Then the Mythos step.
    It's The White Ship

medzq8oo0xox.png

A sleeping soul has set sail in the White Ship, traveling across the world and to the lands of dreams. The ship must return soon, or the walls between realities will fall apart.

Clues spawn in Alaska and the Heart of Africa.
    The rumor of a White Ship is heard in space 18, the ocean between South Africa and Sydney. You must find the ship (Observation Test) and pay the fare (2 clue tokens) before it departs, or there will be Fun. In the Dwarf Fortress sense.

Current State - Round 2 Start

Board:
    tb1l9ygr4tn2.jpg

Ancient One:
    11otaoxi0db1.jpg

Doom: 14
    Mythos Cards Remaining: 15
    Eldritch Tokens on Rumor: 3

jdarksun (Lead Investigator):
    0mcv5cg4zp1u.jpg

Phyphor:
    9blngpd20k05.jpg

Daemonis (Delayed):
    5gupcei11tar.jpg

Auralynx:
    psqdrozl3laf.jpg

@jdarksun, @Phyphor, @Daemonis, and @Auralynx actions (not Daemonis) and preferred encounters please. The game is starting you off with a hard card. Good luck!

edited April 2020
    Can I assume that I only encounter one of the token-related options in a space with multiples? Looks like a yes from what I can find.

I guess the plan is now to go straight for the clues and run them to the Ship?

E: Also, did the reserve change? Looks like no?

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited April 2020
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Can I assume that I only encounter one of the token-related options in a space with multiples? Looks like a yes from what I can find.

I guess the plan is now to go straight for the clues and run them to the Ship?

E: Also, did the reserve change? Looks like no?

That's right. If you have multiple options you choose one, so in the Heart of Africa for example either the expedition or the research encounter. The only time you (usually) get multiple is Combat Encounter(s) where you kill everything, + another.
    And no, no reserve change because no one bought anything.

Chrysis on
    Ok. So looks like my turn is probably:
    1. Move to Heart of Africa
    2. Use Leo's rugged expedition-leading charisma to try to acquire the Conspiracy Theorist.
    3. Encounter the clue.

But I'll wait for the others to weigh in on their plans so we do this in the proper order / someone else can recruit the Theorist if they want to try.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Looks like I should re-route to Alaska, I can get there next turn.

Actions:

1. Prepare to travel (ship)
    2. Travel -> ocean -> spend ship travel token -> Tokyo

1. Wake up
    2. Move to town 17
    3. Generic encounter