As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dwarf] Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas. ... Whatever!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    "My name is Dr Hildegarde Lanstrom, and I am quite, quite mad."

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Probably the best episode of the show.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So sayeth the potato king.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    don't forget Marooned:
    https://youtu.be/0-j4PSZaeqk

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    What a pleasant surprise. We are getting a little movie.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The potato king says: Wash your hands! :P

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Anyone watch the movie? Can't get it in America.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Yeah it's ok. I agree with reviews that the villain isn't handled in a clever way like what we've come to expect from encounters like Legion, the Inquisitor, etc. Was more a showcase for Rimmer, but I found the method of getting to his crisis very convoluted and it required Cat to not be queen cutting cruel, just blatantly cruel.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Yeah it's basically a re tread on old themes.
    what the hell was the golden Deus Ex Machina thing and why did Lister know what it was and how to use it immediately? I felt really contrived and had zero pay off. What was wrong with it just being a duracell battery or something? At least that could have been funny/recognizable.

Also a lost opportunity to use some of the "lost" episodes from the series. There was a whole cat centric episode they couldn't do because of budget issues. I mean how do you have a cat centric movie and Cat himself is barely involved?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe we both missed some incidental dialogue somewhere, the black obelisk just seemed to come up randomly, they had it, but it was
    really dung, and I don't think it's ever established where the real one is or why the inside is a gold nugget filled with power. I
    'm of the mind at this point that while I'd happily watch them make Red Dwarf until the cast are all in their 80's, I'm concerned that as time goes on it becomes more and more likely one of them ends up dead in real life and they're unable to end this 3 decade long epic. I'd like them to start looking at wrapping it up for reals.

I will say that while they did retread some stuff, the sun and moonlight speech is probably the first honest discussion about their relationship that wasn't then just taken back. It seemed to actually progress their relationship. And this Rimmer has now had more growth than the original ever did so it makes sense.

• Options
    Yeah, maybe we both missed some incidental dialogue somewhere, the black obelisk just seemed to come up randomly, they had it, but it was
    really dung, and I don't think it's ever established where the real one is or why the inside is a gold nugget filled with power. I
    'm of the mind at this point that while I'd happily watch them make Red Dwarf until the cast are all in their 80's, I'm concerned that as time goes on it becomes more and more likely one of them ends up dead in real life and they're unable to end this 3 decade long epic. I'd like them to start looking at wrapping it up for reals.

I will say that while they did retread some stuff, the sun and moonlight speech is probably the first honest discussion about their relationship that wasn't then just taken back. It seemed to actually progress their relationship. And this Rimmer has now had more growth than the original ever did so it makes sense.

yeah but then you can do a Back to the Future esque call back to the second episode:
    wyyhrlscqmfg.png

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I had completely forgotten that this special was coming out. For some reason I thought it was in May, not April. Blame Mr. Flibble.
    Anyhow, that was really good. The giant-sized 3.5" floppy disk/Holly gag was superbly set-up and executed, for one. :lol:

And I love the mileage they're getting for the (relatively speaking) tiny budget out of the current sets:
    ibnq4bp7mczy.jpg

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I had completely forgotten that this special was coming out. For some reason I thought it was in May, not April. Blame Mr. Flibble.
    Anyhow, that was really good. The giant-sized 3.5" floppy disk/Holly gag was superbly set-up and executed, for one. :lol:

His transition from factory settings Holly to normal Holly was pretty well done.

• Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks thread!

• Options
    Funnily enough I'd been working through Red Dwarf again on Netflix. Season 7 is weird, it has scenes in it I've never seen before but no laugh track. It's amazing what a colossal miscast Kochanski was. They replaced Rimmer's comical straight-man uptightness with just a straight-man without the comedy.

• Options
    Funnily enough I'd been working through Red Dwarf again on Netflix. Season 7 is weird, it has scenes in it I've never seen before but no laugh track. It's amazing what a colossal miscast Kochanski was. They replaced Rimmer's comical straight-man uptightness with just a straight-man without the comedy.

well i mean, not exactly their fault. Chris Barrie quit for a while since he had a bunch of other acting gigs that were paying more and were less work than Red Dwarf. Which is a better excuse than Norman Lovett (Holly) who quit because he didn't want to commute to work.

• Options
    To be clear, there's nothing wrong with putting kochanski back in there, but either the actress couldn't pull it off or the writing couldn't or both. Rimmer was played as a pedantic stick in the mud who is also largely incompetent and hamstrung by established neuroses and a fondness for telephone poles, and thus funny. They wrote kochanski as just a stick in the mud who is actually better than the crew and so looks down on them.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    The show was never the same after Rob Grant left the writing team. Doug Naylor absolutely has his moments, but that was the turning point.

Jazz on
  • Options
    The weird thing is I read he didn't want to be just remembered for Red Dwarf, and yet he doesn't seem to have done much of anything in the last 20 years. I hope he will decide to come back to round the series of if they get to. Especially after you've read the novels which are even more interesting than what they were able to do within the show budget.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The weird thing is I read he didn't want to be just remembered for Red Dwarf, and yet he doesn't seem to have done much of anything in the last 20 years. I hope he will decide to come back to round the series of if they get to. Especially after you've read the novels which are even more interesting than what they were able to do within the show budget.
    COKE ADDS LIFE

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The show was never the same after Rob Grant left the writing team. Doug Naylor absolutely has his moments, but that was the turning point.

Yeah, I think you could probably ignore everything after season 6 and you wouldn't really miss much of interest. The early seasons were definitely the peak.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Yeah, I think you could probably ignore everything after season 6 and you wouldn't really miss much of interest. The early seasons were definitely the peak.

Seasons 1 & 2 were fresh, but the show was clearly finding its feet. Then came Robert Llewellyn and Hattie Hayridge (sorry, Norman Lovett, Hayridge will always be my Holly), Cat became an actual character at long last, and it all coalesced; 3, 4 and 5 were the pinnacle of the show for me. I like 6 a hell of a lot too, even if it doesn't always quite scale the same dizzying heights, but it has some brilliance. (And it boasts Jenny Agutter, always delightful.)

With no disrespect to Chloe Annett, she was miscast as Kochanski and given very little to work with in the writing in 7. But 8 proved it wasn't just the lack of Chris Barrie that was the problem.

It's always at least remained watchable, and the main four in the cast sparkle when they're bouncing off each other. I kind of wish it would stop trying to fit in substantial support casts and just focus on the main characters more.

But I'll never not watch it.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I would watch Season 7 just up to Tikka to Ride and Stoke Me a Clipper at least. The end of Clipper where you see all the Rimmer's, the dregs of the universes, who became these amazing, heroic and inspiring men, in their billions surrounding the planet, was a great way to tie up the original Rimmer character. Tikka to Ride blew my mind when they used JFK to assassinate himself. And that one scene later in the season where Kryten loads a tank into the Pride and Prejudice game. The rest were crap, and I never got why Lister was upset that the androids made him super buff and ripped.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Those two episodes were definitely the highlights of 7. Tikka to Ride remains my favourite ever explanation of the JFK assassination (it's practically headcanon at this point).

Jazz on
  • Options
    I never minded Kochanski, I actually liked that season quite a lot, she's (Chloë Annett) a good actress. It's just that Chris Barrie and Craig Charles have a better on-screen chemistry/comedic dynamic.

Rob is busy now running his Youtube channel/media empire about electric vehicles and climate change. Met him once at a convention, really just as lovely and quick-witted IRL as on-screen. :) 8-)

• Options
    I'm agreeing with the first paragraph there, obviously :)

• Options

holy smeg, Red Dwarf was right! just be sure to use the facilities before you visit.

• Options
    A white hole?

• Options
    So what is it?

• Options
    The Daily Star (never known for the accuracy of their science reporting) is making up a bunch of unfounded rubbish, sadly. That's not what the actual research paper says or implies at all.
    ..."In addition to explanations that point to new physics, it has recently been suggested that the AAE could be explained by down-going CR-induced EAS that reflected off of subsurface features in the Antarctic ice (Shoemakeret al. 2019). Another possible explanation could be coherent transition radiation from the geomagnetically induced air-shower current, which could mimic an upgoing air shower(de Vries & Prohira 2019; Motloch et al. 2017). Explaining these anomalous events with systematic effects or confirming the need for new physics requires a deeper understanding of ANITA’s detection volume. Efforts such as the HiCal radio frequency pulser, which has flown alongside ANITA in the last two flights (Prohira et al. 2018), are already underway to try to characterize the various properties of the Antarctic ice surface."

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Only joking!

• Options
    Someone punch the Daily Star out!

• Options
    This is how old Red Dwarf is. They have literally aged into old men over the entire run of the show. Granted, some years were skipped.
    https://youtu.be/aYSk8Cu0RHU

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    It’s old enough that I had VHS tapes of seasons of it. I remember watching it as a kid.

• Options
    The show started, what, 32 years ago?

Even with the gaps, that is pretty astonishing to go that long.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

They pretty much threw away Season 6's cliffhanger. Blowing up time drive somehow resolved things and altered the ship.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I love the premise of Season 6 the most, going from the seemingly endless plenty of a multi-mile long spacecraft stuffed with resources to barely eking out a living in a tiny spacecraft, desperately salvaging equipment and supplies wherever possible. It's like a survival video game premise. In fact, make an actual video game where that is the premise, tiny spaceship salvaging supplies in a near-empty hostile universe, there has to be one.
    As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe.
    Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I think the original plan for the season 6 cliffhanger was that they were in an un-reality bubble when the ship blew up, so it did not happen.

I think they dumped that idea when the other show runner left.