As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "ALIVE!!!! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIVE!!!!"

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Apparently this is a bug in the Bannerlord Tweaks mod, which won't be fixed til the mod author comes back from holiday.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    a8r24qjwo79z.png

I... hmm. I have a feeling that's not supposed to happen.

There's definitely some skill bugs going on. A friend of mine found that if he gave one of his custom-smithed two-handed swords to his allies, they'd be gaining ~1000 points of two-handed skill every battle. Only the ones with the custom swords though, normal ones are fine.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    a8r24qjwo79z.png

I... hmm. I have a feeling that's not supposed to happen.

There's definitely some skill bugs going on. A friend of mine found that if he gave one of his custom-smithed two-handed swords to his allies, they'd be gaining ~1000 points of two-handed skill every battle. Only the ones with the custom swords though, normal ones are fine.

You sure that's a bug? I mean have you seen, Linus?
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages2.fanpop.com%2Fimages%2Fphotos%2F3100000%2FDoogie-Howser-doogie-howser-md-3140819-1020-723.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
      I'm at the point in the main quest where I can found my own kingdom or empire.

Is there a meaningful difference?

I'm currently unsworn, but I need to have a holding as one requirement:
      Can I get a castle or city as a merc?

If I'm a vassal and create a kingdom while in control of a city, do I take it with me to found my new kingdom or does it revert to the prior kingdom?

• Options
      You will never be awarded a feif as a mercenary, you have to be a vassal or ruler yourself.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
      I like having attribute points in rpg's where i make my own character.
      Sure this game may not be heavy on roleplaying, or story (atleast for now), but i like being able to differentiate between characters by way of stats.
      Are they well rounded in stats, or do they favour one or two heavily over others?
      Having a character be high intelligence/cunning and low vigor/charisma feels different to having one who goes all in on strength, or has roughly the same rank in each stat.

And mechanically, i like being able to put focus points into things like one handed and riding, without having to raise strength or endurance.
      It gives the character creation/building flexibility.

• Options
      Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
      I don't know how to declare war as an independent clan outside of attacking something belonging to another nation.

I do wish you could start wars with clans on their own, independent or part of a different faction, I think that might be cool.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    • Options
      ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
      I don't know how to declare war as an independent clan outside of attacking something belonging to another nation.

I do wish you could start wars with clans on their own, independent or part of a different faction, I think that might be cool.

Someone mentioned that there are unimplemented locations for independent groups in the xml, so maybe they'll let us declare war on them once they have land to take or the ability to own it (if also not currently possible)?

• Options
      MassenaMassena Registered User regular
      How are you all getting and keeping cities? I can take one and play the influence game to get awarded it, and then get hit by a massive army. Ok. So I take one (and get it awarded to me) and then raise an army, and wipe out the huge enemy army heading my way. Wonderful. I then take my army and go grab another enemy city, not troubling to have it awarded to me, and figure the enemy will then target THAT city. Disband my super depleted army (started at about 300, fought and crushed an 800, then took a city, not much left of it). And head back to my city, only to find an army of 600 sieging it. WTF guys.

So frustrated I just saved a new game and quit. How are you guys taking and holding stuff when you can't have more than 80 or so people yourself?

• Options
      Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
      Massena wrote: »
      How are you all getting and keeping cities? I can take one and play the influence game to get awarded it, and then get hit by a massive army. Ok. So I take one (and get it awarded to me) and then raise an army, and wipe out the huge enemy army heading my way. Wonderful. I then take my army and go grab another enemy city, not troubling to have it awarded to me, and figure the enemy will then target THAT city. Disband my super depleted army (started at about 300, fought and crushed an 800, then took a city, not much left of it). And head back to my city, only to find an army of 600 sieging it. WTF guys.

So frustrated I just saved a new game and quit. How are you guys taking and holding stuff when you can't have more than 80 or so people yourself?

Garrisons. You can put a lot of people in garrisons. And the AI is bad at having enough food for its 600 people so they may run out. If you manually perform the defense, 600 people doesn't take long to chew through if you have some higher tier infantry/ranged

• Options
      I once butchered Rhagaea's entire 1200-strong army besieging my city in a single battle with a shade over 300 troops between my garrison and my personal army, doing none of the fighting myself. It's very possible to hold out a siege against even a massive army.

Also yes, the AI is ludicrously bad at logistics and will try to roll an 800-strong army around on an extended campaign with a week's worth of food. Just stocking up on a ton of food and joining random patrol armies your fellow lords make is probably the single easiest way to skyrocket your Influence.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
      I have not yet managed to win out a siege against a numerically superior force. To many entrance points, whichever one I protect they overwhelm a different one. And if the doors are broken it's basically instant game over. How do you all do it?

causality.png
    • Options
      CampyCampy Registered User regular
      I once butchered Rhagaea's entire 1200-strong army besieging my city in a single battle with a shade over 300 troops between my garrison and my personal army, doing none of the fighting myself. It's very possible to hold out a siege against even a massive army.

Also yes, the AI is ludicrously bad at logistics and will try to roll an 800-strong army around on an extended campaign with a week's worth of food. Just stocking up on a ton of food and joining random patrol armies your fellow lords make is probably the single easiest way to skyrocket your Influence.

Do you have to manually give the food over for the influence gain, or does it happen automatically?

• Options
      GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
      Campy wrote: »

Do you have to manually give the food over for the influence gain, or does it happen automatically?

Its automatic

• Options
      Gokerz wrote: »
      I have not yet managed to win out a siege against a numerically superior force. To many entrance points, whichever one I protect they overwhelm a different one. And if the doors are broken it's basically instant game over. How do you all do it?

In my limited experience, I'd rather take my army into the open field and fight it out there than defend a siege, at least there I have tactics. I'm guessing there are some specific uses for siege equipment that I haven't figured out or other things like that. I saw a video of someone dropping bombs on clustered enemy troops somewhere. My strategy of "stand at the top of the ladder and just keep swinging" inevitably fails when they come up behind me having gotten in from some other entrance and swarmed my troops.

• Options
      Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
      I'm downloading a 2.3GB update, so I'm guessing the Beta branch got pushed out.

• Options
      ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
      Wait, you have tactics? Is there a video I can watch to explain how these tactics might work? Every time I try something, it feels like it doesn't quite work the way I'd want. For example, I march archers up to the top of a hill so they have extra range and can shoot down on enemies trying to rush them and then just... stand there not shooting until the enemy comes in melee range.

• Options

It did, along with some extra nerfs to go along with it.

Pottery shops had their profits gutted, and caravans are now more likely to be attacked by bandits. Players on Reddit are reporting that their caravans are only lasting maybe 3 to 4 days before they get popped by a bandit group, so it's looking like caravans are an absolutely terrible investment right now.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
      edited April 2020

It did, along with some extra nerfs to go along with it.

Pottery shops had their profits gutted, and caravans are now more likely to be attacked by bandits. Players on Reddit are reporting that their caravans are only lasting maybe 3 to 4 days before they get popped by a bandit group, so it's looking like caravans are an absolutely terrible investment right now.

Caravans were so profitable and risk free that it seemed foolish not to have one, so I'm not surprised to see the pendulum swing a bit the other way.

Perhaps that will lead to a change for Steppe Bandits, because I think they need it. They're not even a nuisance for a typical player party; but they're also nearly impossible to police die to their speed.

But you'd better be prepared to pay the bribes if you're by yourself or just starting out. My beta character was effectively perma-kidnapped. Once they drug me back to a hideout on the far side of the mountains, there was simply no chance of making it all the way back to civilization without getting picked up again except paying them off.

Not sure if the bribe always scales down to what you'd be able to pay, but it was really expensive.
      That's not a complaint, though. I enjoyed that element of risk/reward of the trade route I was running; but if they're going to harry your caravans, and you can't tell your caravans to avoid them, there ought to be something you can do about them.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    • Options
      Apparently the game's economy is trashed from the caravan change. Almost no caravans can make it from town to town before being destroyed by bandits, minor factions, or lords the town's faction is at war with, which is leading to almost every settlement going completely dry of money within a couple of in-game months. If towns have no money left, you can't even do the real money-maker: selling gear from defeating parties of enemy lords. Were caravans too much? Probably! But now they're literally a waste of money because they'll be destroyed long before they make their money back.

Tournaments had their already meager earnings slashed to basically nothing.

Workshops had their earnings cut and what workshops will make money where is already a crap-shoot that doesn't obey logic of supply (like from linked villages) and demand.

Now caravans are kind of worthless.

I'm not entirely sure why TaleWorlds is focusing so heavily on using these patches to try and balance things like money gain when there are basic core functions of the game's systems (like perks) that are either incredibly poorly designed or flat-out do not work.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      Imperfect wrote: »
      Wait, you have tactics? Is there a video I can watch to explain how these tactics might work? Every time I try something, it feels like it doesn't quite work the way I'd want. For example, I march archers up to the top of a hill so they have extra range and can shoot down on enemies trying to rush them and then just... stand there not shooting until the enemy comes in melee range.

For me, the progression went like this:
      1) smash everything mostly by myself by kiting with horse archery and couched lancing until the enemy is whittled down or my health is lower and I order the ol' F1-F3 general charge.
      2) Being in a few big battles where that wasn't super viable, I started messing with controls but the HUGE shift was when someone on this thread posted that you just need to select the group and then click on where you want them to be. So instead of 1-F1-F1-click (select infantry, select movement, place unit, select destination) I could just go 1-click (select group, select destination). SUPER helpful because you can quickly throw your infantry in front (or behind to move up when they get closer) and your cav on a flank.
      3) After getting more comfortable with that, I picked up a lot of the extra tricks, to the point where I spend most of a battle riding around making sure it's progressing like it should instead of fighting, which is EXACTLY how it seems like it should be. Paying attention to whether your archers start in Fire At Will mode or not is helpful. Also letting your infantry fire at will (if they have javelins), paying attention to using shield wall until the enemy closes and then ordering line and charging, guiding my flanking force of cavalry directly into the enemy archers or line through movement commands instead of the ol' 3-F1-F3, that kind of thing.
      4) My standard battle with my current (player, not character) skillset looks like this: if there's a hill, get archers on it and infantry behind them (unless I'm fighting a lot of cavalry where they can be on me much faster), throw my cavalry WAY off to the side, any horse archers get the F6 treatment to go do their thing without needing my guidance. That takes about 10 seconds. Then I ride out to find if the enemy is approaching me or holding up somewhere. If they're holding up somewhere, then it's Total War time: how do I attack that spot? Ususally you'll have time to figure out the best way. Archers in loose formation go get in range, infantry close by (or in shield wall out front to draw fire if I have a lot of shields), send the cav WAY out behind. Usually after they lose a few troops to the archers they seem to charge my lines, which, yeah that's perfect. Advance the infantry, take them out of shield wall and charge, bring the cavalry in through the above technique (3-point and click where to go, they'll engage enemy on the way) and then have cav go on full charge as well.

Honestly, that mops up MOST enemies in my current game. I find myself sometimes telling the archers to go back or the infantry/cavalry to reform in a space. I might play with unit facings. (particularly in large battles where enemy reinforcements come in waves). It helps that my core of 80-100 guys is pretty advanced, so they form a nice building block for other armies to join and when I see these huge enemy armies 30% of them are recruit level.

Not sure if that's the type of advice you were looking for or not. But in my big battles I probably only kill like 3-5 once they're all routing. Most of it is spent running around organizing things and the system seems to work once you make that mental shift from "I'm the best fighter on the field, where's the next kill" to "I'm paying attention to what each group is doing across the whole battle."

• Options

What archers are you using? I've only used Vlandian and some Empire and Khuzait troops, but all of their archers/crossbowmen start firing from quite a ways away. I'm curious if some of them have broken AI.

My tactics for a mixed-unit army are to immediately put my cavalry on autopilot with F6 so they split into two groups and screen my flanks, set my archers on a hill, and set my infantry at the base of said hill about 50 or so paces ahead. My archers always do the vast majority of the work, and the cavalry protects them from enemy cavalry while the infantry shield wall and engage any enemy infantry.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
      Apparently the game's economy is trashed from the caravan change. Almost no caravans can make it from town to town before being destroyed by bandits, minor factions, or lords the town's faction is at war with, which is leading to almost every settlement going completely dry of money within a couple of in-game months. If towns have no money left, you can't even do the real money-maker: selling gear from defeating parties of enemy lords. Were caravans too much? Probably! But now they're literally a waste of money because they'll be destroyed long before they make their money back.

Tournaments had their already meager earnings slashed to basically nothing.

Workshops had their earnings cut and what workshops will make money where is already a crap-shoot that doesn't obey logic of supply (like from linked villages) and demand.

Now caravans are kind of worthless.

I'm not entirely sure why TaleWorlds is focusing so heavily on using these patches to try and balance things like money gain when there are basic core functions of the game's systems (like perks) that are either incredibly poorly designed or flat-out do not work.

I'd imagine some stuff, like aggression and certain behaviours, are the kind of things that are reasonably easy (within the confines of that description as it applies to programming) compared to fixing stuff that's not functioning correctly.

• Options
      This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for, thank you!

Bummed about the economy blowing up. I was thinking about either playing another try at MB2 or giving Starsector a try, and I guess that choice has been made easier for me.

• Options
      DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
      Joined the Aserai last night, went with the sultan's army on some campaigns. Got awarded some random fuckin castle that another of our armies took (I didn't even know it was up for a vote!). Eventually we sieged a city and I joined in the final assault. That was really fucking cool, pushing the battering ram while the army trailed behind, catapults and archers firing all over the fucking place, etc. We eventually breached, and I jumped in the thick of things and fuckin murdered some fools. We won and took the city, and then not long after we left we got jumped by another army. I took control of a unit of archers (some were mine, some were other lord's) and followed the main bulk of our infantry until I could plant my archers on top of a hill. They wrecked shit and I patrolled their line to defend against enemy cavalry, then as things got hairy I brought us into melee and we helped push one of the enemy's flanks until their army broke. Sieges and big army battles in this are definitely cooler than they were in Warband!

Also discovered that the number of workshops you can have is tied to your clan's level, so now I got 4 workshops bringing in free money. However, some of my earlier workshops just disappeared from the list of workshops I owned. Was it because the Aserai were at war with Vlandia, where those shops were located?

JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      Darmak wrote: »
      Also discovered that the number of workshops you can have is tied to your clan's level, so now I got 4 workshops bringing in free money. However, some of my earlier workshops just disappeared from the list of workshops I owned. Was it because the Aserai were at war with Vlandia, where those shops were located?

Yeah, probably. As I understand it, if you go to war with a country, they "seize" your workshops.

• Options
      Massena wrote: »
      Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, probably. As I understand it, if you go to war with a country, they "seize" your workshops.

That makes sense, don't want some filthy foreigner dirtying up our cities with his workshops and sub-par products.

JtgVX0H.png
    • Options
      Can someone take pity on me again and explain what workshops are? Google returns page after page of "Steam Workshop mods" which is decidedly unhelpful.

• Options
      Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
      edited April 2020
      Can someone take pity on me again and explain what workshops are? Google returns page after page of "Steam Workshop mods" which is decidedly unhelpful.

They're basically slots in a city that contain a business that you can buy. You can change what type of business it is if you wish, but they're a way to invest money to make money passively.

Sir Carcass on
    • Options
      You don't say...

fires up Bannerlord...

• Options
      Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
      I've been getting into Warband over the past week, and despite having bounced off after feeling overwhelmed a few times before, it's finally starting to click! I've tried a few different mods, like Prophecy of apendor and the Floris mod compilation, and I think I overall like the latter one more.

Which mods are y'all's favorites for Warband? I'm kind of interested in conversions into other IPs such as LotR or GoT, would anyone recommend those?

• Options
      CampyCampy Registered User regular
      You don't say...

fires up Bannerlord...

It wasn't super obvious where to go to purchase workshops. You'd think you would head to the silversmith, or woodworker to purchase their workshop, but the only dialogue option is to put together a caravan (apparently useless now?). Instead you'll need to take a little walk around town, head to one of the workshops, which are frequently a little stroll from the owner for some reason? There you'll want to speak to a shop worker (I might be getting their title slightly wrong) and you'll be able to purchase the shop for many dinars!

I don't know how the shop profits are calculated exactly, but they've changed which ones give the best returns, so I can't recommend any workshops in particular.

• Options
      GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
      My mod loadout is starting to get a bit crazy, don't think I had that many mods in Skyrim or Fallout.
      Collisionfix
      Community Patch (for working Perks mostly)
      Control your allies after death (because watching long battles is boring)
      cultural feat fixes
      Diplomacy Reworked (because base game is far from feature complete on this)
      Don't smelt locked weapons
      Gird (makes the game no longer forget which group you put a unit in after loading a save)
      Improved Granary
      MBFastDialogue
      Mercenary Army (doesn't seem to work for me though)
      Messengers (tell companions that are stuck in faraway cities to come to you)
      Settlement Icons (really helpful for recruiting)
      Sound the Alarm (get better notifications if one of your fiefs is under attack)
      Workshop Demystifier
      unit fixes (old version though, too many game balance changes in the newer ones)
      Bannerlord Tweaks (deactivated most option)

Fakeedit: actually, now that I see them listed like that it's fewer than I thought.

causality.png
    • Options
      AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
      Does Tactics have an influence on auto-battle? Or is auto-battle fairly forgiving? Or is it a mix of both?

My character has exceptionally high tactics and I've auto-battled and won more than a few fights that Sabaton would probably write songs about.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    • Options
      I've been getting into Warband over the past week, and despite having bounced off after feeling overwhelmed a few times before, it's finally starting to click! I've tried a few different mods, like Prophecy of apendor and the Floris mod compilation, and I think I overall like the latter one more.

Which mods are y'all's favorites for Warband? I'm kind of interested in conversions into other IPs such as LotR or GoT, would anyone recommend those?

There's a really good LotR mod called The Last Days of the Third Age. There's also a pretty good aSoIaF mod, A World of Ice and Fire. They should both be on the Steam Workshop.

• Options
      Axen wrote: »
      Does Tactics have an influence on auto-battle? Or is auto-battle fairly forgiving? Or is it a mix of both?

My character has exceptionally high tactics and I've auto-battled and won more than a few fights that Sabaton would probably write songs about.

It does affect it, but I don't know specifically how. You get tactics XP from auto battles, and there are perks you can unlock (that probably don't work) that specifically relate to auto battles.

• Options
      Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
      edited April 2020

There's a really good LotR mod called The Last Days of the Third Age. There's also a pretty good aSoIaF mod, A World of Ice and Fire. They should both be on the Steam Workshop.

Prophecies of Pendor is my fav mod, but it does it's own story. No IP. However you get to fight 600 Demon Worshippers Armies or whats basically the Khan.

Drunken Bastard on
    • Options

Prophesy of Pendor is by far my favorite, even going back to its original iteration in the first Mount & Blade.

Floris is also pretty good, but I have trouble figuring out which version I'm supposed to run, and whenever I play a version of Native Warband, I end up missing the Pendor factions.

I gots to have my Ravenstern Rangers and my Pendor culture troops.

ZvOMJnu.png
    • Options
      edited April 2020
      So I attacked a caravan from Vlandia since we were at war, and it turns out that 40ish cavalry will beat the shit out of about 40 merc crossbowmen, 5 companions, and 2 veteran imperial legionaries (or whatever they're called, I forget). Whoops! Cue me and my buddies getting captured and carried around the countryside until we could each make our escape. Except for one guy, who was carried around for ages, and when he finally did escape, it was to a city under siege so I couldn't enter it to pick him back up. Fuck my life lol.

I did take the opportunity to rebuild my army, and now it's all Aserai troops. Got about an even mix of infantry and archers, and also a huge force of Aserai peasants I have set to their own formation so I can use them as human shields. Is there a way to get peasants to join your army besides rescuing them from bandits and looters? Because upkeepless mooks to pad out my army is badass, and having a reliable way to acquire them would be excellent.

Darmak on
      JtgVX0H.png