[Storm March - Interlude] The Unusual Appearance of Baron Von Ruckhauser

1234579

Posts

  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Stillness

    A wind lightly brushes against an outside window.

    The building creaks quietly under its own weight, inexorably settling toward its final position that may only come many years from now.

    A barely-perceptible clockwork whirring issues forth from somewhere deep in Fernando's torso. As with the winding of a watch, and then it is also still. Fernando seemingly does not notice this.

    Your collected breathing slows to a calm quiet.

    What do you do?

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    MahnmutElvenshae
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    "The Astral Engine lies down there," Wei says, feeling the webbing close to him. He attempts to gather some into a handy rope, if possible. "Perhaps we can close the access door behind us, and then those creatures will not find their way after us."

    He begins heading down to the Engine.

  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 9
    "Well, we can only hope," sighs Hawthorne. "Those poor people. Did you hear the story I was preaching? It's true, best Sister Moon's angels know. This Engine's bad news."

    @Nips [OOC - I forgot, but I need a negative Cast a Spell consequence for partial success on Cure Wounds. I'm in a spot, I take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until Commune, or I lose access to Cure Wounds until Commune. One of the latter two seem like a better fit here?]

    Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The Descent

    Your party, its wounds superficially mended, begins to make its way down the narrow stair behind Wei. It is dark at first but as your eyes adjust you note the low blue light emanating from the Astral Engine further down.

    Closing the hatch behind you, you note the mechanism which initially hid and locked the access has a simple switch on this side of the door. With the flick of a finger the hatch door swings shut and bars itself from forced entry.

    You gather around the wide room at the bottom of the stairs, the imposing mechanics of the Astral Engine branching out in front, around, and above you. The dull blue glow is brightest here, and you can clearly see the extents of the room.

    What do you do?

    [OOC: @Mahnmut I think in this situation, I'm fine with either the -1 or the revoke, but answer me this first:
    How do you think Sister Moon feels about Fernando? He seems to be a person, and therefore contains a natural story within.
    However he also seems strangely mechanical, and the story of his personhood could be a complete fabrication, which...do you think Sister Moon abides this?]

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Mahnmut
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    OOC: Oh, I feel she's absolutely in favor of Fernando; "the story of his personhood could be a complete fabrication" is a beautiful sentiment for a goddess of tricksters and second chances. <3

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    NipsElvenshae
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    [OOC: Awesome! In that case, I'll let you choose the drawback. Let Sister Moon guide your pen in this tale. 😉]

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Otto breaks the silence. "Don't nobody touch nuthin yet. Anyone have any mechanical experience?" Otto lays a hand on his pistol. "Best I got is cleaning and stripping this here flintlock." He nods towards Fernando. "I don't want to make assumptions seeing as you've got as many gears as this gizmo that you have knowledge of it's workings, but if you don't, I volunteer to start fiddling with this contraption."

    [OOC I thinking a Discern Realities with as much aid as I can get?]

    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    Fernando is slow to reply (seemingly something caught in this throat concerning having gears) but does so with an earnest gusto, “My extensive training did no extend to contraptions my hearty cavalier, but I’m sure together we can get to the bottom of it!”

    However Otto goes about it Fernando will be there to help and share in any fortune or misfortune that might come.

    Geth roll 2d6 for Aid

    [OOC: You’ve got +1 to your next roll, but Fernando suffers for it...]

    Aid:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

    Endless_Serpents on
    MahnmutElvenshaeNips
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    Otto cracks his knuckles and begins to suss out what the engine is capable of.

    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Discern Realities

    Hot dog! My questions three shall be:
    What is about to happen?
    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What here is useful or valuable to me?

    Discern Realities:
    2d6+2 11 [2d6=3, 6]

    ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    MahnmutNipsEndless_Serpents
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    What is about to happen?
    This Astral Engine is powering up and nearly at full capacity. It is in the process of what looks like forging links to other Astral Engines, according to a glowing blue diagram floating in front of a metallic panel.
    Once it has completed this task? Only an archeoengineer may know for sure.

    What should I be on the lookout for?
    Wei! He's been down here before. He may have even fiddled with this machine, or at least studied it. He's definitely got some insight, having been ripped across reality by one.

    What here is useful or valuable to me?
    The machine itself is an intensely powerful tool. You can use that power to do a great many things; instant transportation is only just the tip of the iceburg. With some work, you may be able to bend the Engine or its energy to other uses.

    As Fernando comes closer to the machine to assist in Otto's inspection every gap in his carapace armor, from head to toe, begins to glow with blue energy in unison with the Astral Engine.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Endless_SerpentsMahnmutElvenshae
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    A memory?

    Fernando stands in a long line out on a dusty training ground as the sun rises. The rays draw across the grounds lazily, giving the world a bronze tone. He follows suit as a line of armoured young fellows take a battle stance. He looks ahead to see his master speaking with feeling about what he is to become. It’s all wrong though, that face, it isn’t the face of his master, is it?

    He hugs a girl he knew at the pier of his homeland. He lays motionless as his joints are oiled. He looks at his master’s gleaming steel pauldron after cleaning it, and sees—

    Right here and now, Fernando walks solemnly to the Engine and places a hand on it. The blue light dims a moment before returning like a heart beating faster. Fernando squints as his eyes are blinded by the bright undulating light from within himself.

    He raises his voice, “What am I? I swore to the Lord Above I would speak no lies while on this quest, and so I say: I do not know.”, his head hangs a moment before he lifts it back with effort, “But I will become a true paladin! Do you hear me villain?!”

    His head a hot blue lantern, he looks across to where he half sees, half guesses his allies are.

    “Otto! I think if we disrupt the flow of magic in the Engine we could at least change what it’s up to right now, which might be a good thing if we are to assume the Duke has activated it! I’ve seen your witchery, you are storm-blooded, are you not? Could you blast it with lightning?”

    “Wei! You’ve been on the wrong end of this thing, what did you see while you were being brought you here? Think back, was it instant, or did you cross some other place? Perhaps you can work out these symbols floating here; are they the same as ‘sending things in a moment from far away’?”

    “Hawthorne! You seem a worldly sort, did I hear you are from a land with many contraptions? Perhaps there’s a common pattern to such things... a thing to pull to stop it would be ideal!”

    The robot that would like to be a paladin let’s out a hearty laugh, his lustre returning amidst adventure.

    Endless_Serpents on
    Mahnmut
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Level Up

    [OOC: So I figure since I’ve got enough experience and I did a speech, Fernando is level 2 now.

    jp0mgsamwtx0.jpeg


    I’ve taken Smite as my next move.

    Smite
    While on a quest you deal +1d4 damage.]

    MahnmutNipsironsizideElvenshae
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Otto smiles slyly. "I can do you one better, Fernando my lad." He pulls what looks like a lighter out of a pocket in his leather jacket. He opens it and works the striker in one smooth motion after he gets as close to the engine and far from the clockwork paladin as he can. Instead of a bright flame flickering to life from the lighter, the engine's light looks as if it's drawn into the lighter and swallowed whole.

    [OOC We'll see if this works. Otto is using Erwin’s Darker, which Endless will be familiar with, but Nips probably will not. The description given to me: "When you flick the darker with your thumb, choose a source of light you can see; its snuffed out. An electrical light (almost unheard of) will be broken, but simpler things like torches can be relit later. A great blaze will be pushed back, but will continue to burn."

    Totally GM's discretion as to whether this work or not, but at least Otto thinks it will. If not, back to the old stabbity style!]

    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    NipsElvenshaeMahnmut
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 16
    I thought I posted this, like, a week ago, just-post-combat, and was just waiting for a response. Oops! Lemme see if anything in here is still useful ... Uh, nope. Appears not

    Postbattle comment: (We are stunningly competent. :D)

    Also, I should go up a level, it seems?

    Exilis has never seen anything like this strangely-glowing ... heap ... before, and is uncertain how he can best help. He is glad that the path behind them has been secured, but knows that the door which keeps the Beast and the Horde from following also prevents their escape. He is also uncomfortable with all the hard stone between him and sky. While his allies with greater knowledge of the arcane device poke it and prod it, he begins searching for another way out of the room.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Discern Realities

    What should I be on the lookout for?
    What here is useful or valuable to me?
    What here is not what it appears to be?

    (+1 forward on my next move related to those.)

    Discern Realities:
    2d6+2 12 [2d6=5, 5]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Endless_SerpentsNipsMahnmut
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Fernando takes his hand from the Engine. It tingles.

    I’m just a touch dramatic, aren’t I?, he thinks, is that a new thing or...

    NipsMahnmutElvenshae
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Otto

    You hold out the Darker and flick it open. There's a pause, and then a thin strand of whispy blue light wobbles lazily out of the Astral Engine. It floats through the air as if it's trying to find something, and then it suddenly rushes to the aperture of the Darker. The thin strand grows to a painfully bright trunk for just a split second before disappearing entirely. The cap on the Darker snaps shut of its own accord.

    When you recover from your reflexive flinch to see the Darker closed, you also observe that the glowing diagram on the machine has changed. Whereas before it displayed a growing web of connections, it now only shows a single line between two nodes. The blue glow of the Engine itself seems undimmed.

    For Otto's Eyes Only
    As the Darker's cap snapped shut, you swore you heard voices coming from the device in your hand. As best you can tell, it's not talking now.


    Exilis

    What should I be on the lookout for?
    The Astral Engine is seemingly connected to some far machinery via a wide branch of tubes and pipes that extend into the wall behind it. A smooth metal panel flanks where the plumbing enters the wall; with a bit of work, you might find it to be an access panel.

    The rest of the room is a smoothly-carved stone box with little to no distinguishing features, containing yourselves, the Astral Engine, the tubes and access panel, and the stairwell behind you.

    What here is useful or valuable to me?
    Hidden behind the Engine is a small box roughly a foot and a half long and half a foot in the other directions in size. A toolbox! You're not familiar with a good half of the implements in the box, but at the very least the ones you do recognize will be immediately useful on that access panel.

    What here is not what it appears to be?
    The glowing blue energy of the Astral Engine. Every time you get close to the machine it's as if that blue glow is trying to grow out of it to...touch you? It's a very minor movement that your keenly trained eyes pick up, and you see this happen as well when your comrades come near the machine.

    For Exilis's Eyes Only
    At one point digging around behind the Engine you brush up against some random part of it. That blue glow brushes back against you, and you swear you hear voices. You look back to the rest of your group, but at that moment everyone is intensely studying the machine. It couldn't have been them. Could it have been someone else?

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    "Be careful. I was...helping attempt to fix one back on one of the home islands, there was a crack in the glass, and it was dripping something blue, which crystallized. I inadvertently touched it...and found myself here."

    Wei thinks a moment."It pulled me here. Perhaps the Duke is attempting to pull all the islands to this place? It seems he is attempting to do something with the Astral Engines and their connection."

    Cheeseliker on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    (OOC: Level up. After much thinking, I shall take Communion of Whispers. While I'd like the combat bonus of Tooth and Claw, It makes more sense for Wei, especially with his background)

    "Let me try something." Wei walks around the machine, feeling he'd spent long enough in this place to try something. He sits cross-legged, back against the wall and closes his eyes.

    Spirits of this island, grant me a vision so I might help heal this strange, broken place and help put to rest those tortured souls that were once people.

    geth roll 2d6+2 communion of whispers

    communion of whispers:
    2d6+2 11 [2d6=4, 5]

    Cheeseliker on
    MahnmutNipsironsizideEndless_Serpents
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Wei
    Your back meets the stone of the wall, and for a moment you tense up anticipating the sensation of cold earth at your shoulders. The sensation never comes, and instead you are washed over by a warm flowing feeling.

    You relax.

    For Wei's Eyes Only
    As you close your eyes, the world around you turns black and your body loses the sensation of the world around you. You are floating in a comfortable, warm, ebbing and flowing energy. You try to open your eyes, but you have no physical eyes to open; you are again floating in the Astral Sea.

    SD-Blog-astral-px.jpg

    This time though, you aren't being ripped to-and-fro by some unknown force, and you can perceive clearly. Motes of light and tangles of energy splay away, outward, inward, and all about you, and the connections between all spirits lay bare. As you pause to exist and float on this ephemeral force, the image of your perception changes.

    abstract-technology-futuristic-style-circles-and-light-dots-glowing-on-dark-blue-background-vector.jpg

    Something pierces the veil, and in an instant the splay of energy lines begins to conform to patterns. It is disconcerting at first, but then the sensation of a gentle hand seemingly rests on your shoulder. Your perception turns, and you behold...a man. A man?

    tumblr_ph2f088bEE1si8kxfo8_1280.jpg

    "It has been some time since a mortal lingered so here, in these places between places. Fear not, friend. I am Tormlin, former mortal, eternal resident of the Astral Sea."

    The background of the place grows dimmer as the lines of energy coalesce further into spokes and wheels between points of brighter light. Tormlin looks out, past you, and sighs.

    "Would that I could have you tarry and regale you as is proper, but I remember the urgency of mortality despite its grand distance from me. What you see before you is an abrogation of the natural way, forced upon this place between places by mortal engines. I know you seek the reasons by which it has occurred, and your assumptions may prove right."

    Tormlin turns and points, drawing a ghostly finger from a nearby node, along several circumferences, to a bright point in the distance.

    "There. The Baron himself. I would approach and beseech that he end these mad machinations, but his machines drive away those of my ilk. To let him know the grave harm he has caused to his land, his people, and the very fabric of the realities our existence is woven into. But he is clever, and he is driven, and I am afraid the task will be left to you mortals."

    Tormlin turns again toward your perception, focusing it on him and him alone.

    "Use his engines. I will watch over you all, and I will guide your path toward him where I can. Once done you must convince him to end his insane pursuit, be it diplomatically, duplicitously, or through the end of his existence, his plans must end."

    The specter sighs once again.

    "Unchecked, the effect of the Baron's course will be catastrophic for all life, mortal or not."

    You can feel your communion fading back into your mortal shell, and the vision of Tormlin and the Astral Sea dims as your senses return.

    As your vision of Tormlin disappears, you notice the symbol on his tabard bears a remarkable resemblance to the insignia on Fernando's armor. Curious.

    [Your next use of the Astral Engine, should you choose to leverage it as transport, will be guaranteed to transport you and your comrades to the Baron's labs at the heart of the barony. You will still need to roll, and you'll still have your +1 Forward to use on it, but even on a 6- you'll end up at that location. It's all a matter of how rough the transport is!]

    Your eyes snap back open.

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Fernando looks around. Everyone else is busy being useful, and that’s downright shameful for him. He was the kind of squire that would fetch a broom and sweep up when the day was done just to give him purpose.

    He settles for whittling the end of his snapped halberd into a decent handle. It was called Waymaker... An axe called Maker? No, that’s silly.

    “Hawthorne! You’re a fellow devotee of the divine, what do you think I should call this?”

    He asks as if naming equipment is common practise where you’re from, which it likely is not. He continues to smooth off the broken haft as he speaks.

    @Mahnmut
    What do you reckon?

    Nips
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Otto turns to everyone else. He starts to perform his nervous habit of flicking his 'lighter' open and closed and think better of it. "Based on the display here showing a single connection I think we might have time to compare notes. I could swear I heard voices coming from this," he gestures to his darker, "just before it closed up. Fernando seems to interact with this engine. I wonder if there's a connection with people's souls and this thing. And since the the display is a whole lot quieter, maybe this thing was trying to activate more automated contraptions."

    Otto takes a closer look at the display, looking to see if it provides any details on the nodes, like say one says "Fernando" or something. "You got a service number, Fernando?"

    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    Nips
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 20
    “No. No, I would definitely remember if I had a ‘service number’.”, he says, scratching his head dumbly.

    The paladins of Galillea were not so regimented; they were basically a band of do-gooders who trained up a squire or two to replace them. Their numbers never greatly exceeded the original founding members, of which there was about thirty.

    Fernando’s skin (or where it would be) prickles, tender, as if heavily sunburnt.

    “Oh! I must be lying, sort of! I think!”

    Fernando grips the symbol of the sun on his chest and pulls at it. It comes off with some strain. He doesn’t want to say it, but steps forward to show you all the same. On his chest is steel text riveted on.

    {013 FRND-0}

    He’s bent the symbol a little. It must have been part of a medallion, welded on some time ago. By who, and how?

    Fernando clutches it tightly. You don’t think he can be sick, but otherwise you’re sure he’s about to puke.

    Endless_Serpents on
    NipsElvenshaeMahnmut
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Exilis hesitates by the machine, before lifting a toolbox onto his shoulders. He makes his way to the back of the room and, relatively quickly, has pulled a panel off the wall, revealing a space large enough - if only just barely - for him and his companions to pass through. He quickly looks in, to take quick stock of what's behind the walls and whether it truly is a means of escape.

    With that done, he goes to return the toolbox to where he found it and pauses, again, as he walks by the machine. His eyes focused on the horizon beyond the walls, he allows his hand to drift ever so slowly closer to the device. He casts his mind back, to his training in the mountains of Aquilaea, when he first heard the whispers of the shamans who had Joined the Wind, and searches again for the spiritual control that allowed him to hear their guidance.
    Heading up to Level 2, I boost Wisdom to 14 (no bonus change) and pick up God Amongst the Wastes as my new move, giving me Cleric 1 spellcasting. I've update my character sheet with that.

    If I can just kind of assume that my spells are available, I'd like to cast Speak with Dead as I carefully interact with the Engine. If not, then go in "blind." :D

    Conan : What gods do you pray to?
    Subotai : I pray to the four winds... and you?
    Conan : To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.
    Subotai : [chuckles] What good is he then? Ah, it's just as I've always said.
    Conan : He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of steel?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain!
    Subotai : Ah, my god is greater.
    Conan : [chuckles] Crom laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his mountain.
    Subotai : My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky! Your god lives underneath him.
    [Conan shoots Subotai a skeptical look. Subotai laughs]


    ED: And now I'm listening to the whole soundtrack ...

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    NipsironsizideMahnmutEndless_Serpents
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    (Also, apropos of nothing ...)
    xba949k9jy1t.png

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    NipsironsizideMahnmutEndless_Serpents
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    Exilis

    The tunnel behind the machine extends well off in the distance, the run of pipes following beside it. There is enough room to crawl comfortably.

    Turning, the blue corona surrounding the machine seems to bend, as if it were a candle flame in a breeze. You let your inborn power carefully pour forth and reach out into that burning wind.

    [OOC: Cast A Spell! Roll +WIS and make the ancestors proud!]

    Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    (Success! But the spell is revoked until the next time I commune under the open sky.)

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for First time spellcasting!

    First time spellcasting!:
    2d6+1 7 [2d6=1, 5]

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    NipsMahnmutEndless_Serpents
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Wei opens his eyes and lets out a breath. He stands, taking a moment to gain his balance. "I know what we must do," he says, attempting to catch everyone's attention. "I saw...everything...The astral plane. A...paladin spoke to me." Wei glances at Fernando. "His name is Tomlin and he bore a symbol similar to yours, Fernando." Wei looks at the others. "But he showed me there is something very wrong. The Baron is using these engines to some end that will be catastrophic." Wei steps toward the engine. "The good news is we can use the engine to go to the Baron and Tomlin will guide us." Wei places a hand on the engine. "We need to be ready, however, The Baron has shown he is dangerous."

    (OOC: What ability would I use to roll? INT? or WIS? Or could I assist someone else in using it?)

    Endless_Serpents
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    [ @Cheeseliker You yourself can attempt to operate the Astral Engine, on a +INT roll. You still have your +1 Forward for this. Alternately, you could assist someone else's attempt with an Aid roll. Your choice. ]

    Exilis

    For Exilis's eyes only:
    The blowing breeze picks up, which makes absolutely zero sense here in this enclosed space. None of your comrades seem to notice, nor do their clothes or belongings. You've tapped into the Wind Ethereal, and it blows you into the dancing fires of the engine. All goes black.

    You try to open your eyes. You have no eyes, but are instead raw perception floating in a black void. Your perception adjusts, and you perceive: a network of glowing energy, suspended in the black.

    abstract-technology-futuristic-style-circles-and-light-dots-glowing-on-dark-blue-background-vector.jpg

    You are left puzzled; "Where are the dead?" you think to yourself. Then you realize that the energy lines drawn in the black are the ebb and flow of souls, the raw power of the mortal essence tied up and in and out and through to creation and the divine and the beyond.

    But that's all it is. Energy. No consciousness, no life. Whatever these people were in their mortal lives, their immortal energy has been reduced to just that.

    You feel a presence.

    tumblr_ph2f088bEE1si8kxfo8_1280.jpg

    "Another visitor, and so soon? Ah yes, a compatriot of the druid. I have been watching over you."

    The specter cocks his head, quizzically for a moment, then straightens.

    "I am Tormlin, resident of this in-between place. I see you have beseeched the blessings of the divine, much as I once did so many years ago. Our time is short, as such blessings are wont to be. Please, ask me what you wish."

    [You have three questions to pose to Tormlin. Fire away!]

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Elvenshae
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    [OOC: Does Fernando know who Wei is talking about? @Nips ]


    The automaton cheerily slaps Wei on the back and sliiiides the poor fellow right up to the engine.

    “Adventure awaits us! Worry not, I will protect you should anything unpleasant await us, alongside, you know, the adventure! ...What was that name you just said?”


    ♫ The theme of Fernando ♪

    [OOC: I’ll help you, should you need it. Heck, I’ll roll now, whether you’ll need it or not. Fernando likes to get stuck in heedless of the danger!

    @Cheeseliker You now have another +1 to your roll, and Fernando suffers danger, retribution, or cost.]

    Geth roll 2d6 for I’m Helping!!!

    Im Helping!!!:
    2d6 7 [2d6=6, 1]

    Endless_Serpents on
    MahnmutironsizideNipsElvenshae
  • NipsNips Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    [ @Endless_Serpents You can try to recall! Roll me some +INT for Spout Lore to find out!]

    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    Geth roll 2d6 for Access Memory

    zc9hni49fhoh.png

    Access Memory:
    2d6 3 [2d6=2, 1]

    Endless_Serpents on
    ElvenshaeNipsironsizideMahnmut
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    (OOC: Okay, team - let's just say that, for the sake of argument, that someone had a chance to ask 3 questions of a ghost who probably knows a whole lot about our mission here and seems motivated to help, but that random person had no idea what the best questions to ask would be. What questions would you be asking? :D)

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Nips
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    Also:
    zky79agmpdcu.png

    V2; better hair, fixed eyebrows, redid trim on the shirt to be more bone-colored.
    g83kje7rszi0.png

    Ed: first pass; need to tighten some stuff up.
    ED2: V2 added. :D

    Elvenshae on
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    NipsironsizideEndless_SerpentsMahnmutCheeseliker
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fernando?
    s19w0z57h5j5.png

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Endless_Serpents
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hawthorne?
    45rbi8xyx00b.png

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Endless_SerpentsMahnmut
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Otto?
    1722v13w0y9g.png

    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    ironsizideEndless_Serpents
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    [OOC That's pretty damn close to the one I came up with (I used a biker jacket, no shoulder pads, and a scabbard and holster. Couldn't figure out the how to do the colors. I'll take it though! Good job!]

    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    Elvenshae
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    [OOC: A question you might ask...

    When faced by the machinist who forged the island’s automations, will Fernando’s own will be crushed by their power?

    or perhaps

    Does the master of this island draw his power from a source we can severe them from for good?

    Endless_Serpents on
    Elvenshae
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    [OOC: yooo I love it, I love the hair and giant eyebrows. In my head, it's no mustache/beard, white hair, ashier skin

    Also I have to admit I've been imaging Fernando inspired by Tik-Tok of Oz
    vn2op6mhavag.png

    We might reasonably want to know:
    What is the Baron working towards?
    How very dare he?
    ]


    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    ElvenshaeEndless_Serpents
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    omgbfz5lzi1s.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The Disappearance of Inigo Sharpe: Tomas à Dunsanin
    Mahnmut
Sign In or Register to comment.