As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    This may well be old news for many, but Sarna has the Unit Color Compendium in pdf format. It is so fucking gloriously well made and goddamn useful. The mind runs wild with possibilities! I'm gonna have to print this baby off and stick it in a binder for reference.

edit- Oh, to spice up this top post here is a page from the UCC pdf.

Kjli0Sw.jpg

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Currently learning how to use Fusion 360. My first major goal after this tutorial is to make a printable Prairie Schooner land train, something which recently appeared in our campaign and I'm pretty sure doesn't have a model yet.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Ianator wrote: »
    Currently learning how to use Fusion 360. My first major goal after this tutorial is to make a printable Prairie Schooner land train, something which recently appeared in our campaign and I'm pretty sure doesn't have a model yet.

If it helps save you some time there is this scifi monorail. It'd need to be scaled down and have wheels slapped on it, but it potentially could give you a head start.

I'm currently building a robust Capellan OpFor. In keeping with the flavor it'd mostly be Armor with a smattering of light to medium Mechs. My printer certainly isn't up to the task to make Mechs so I ordered a 3d printed Lance from ebay. They looked to be of pretty good quality in the pics, I guess I'll find out for sure in two weeks.

In the meantime I did, for lack of a better term, kitbash a Liao Vedette. Liao drops the AC turret for twin MLs. So I used the twin ML turret from the Scoprion, cut the main guns off, scaled it up, made it longer and slapped it on to the Vedette's turret. All in all I am satisfied with the result.

Currently painting the "prototype".
    cygstmU.jpg

For reference this is what the model would normally look like.
    pO0sdcU.jpg

Axen on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Hey folks,

Now that I have plenty of more time (still working, but nowhere to go on weekends) I had a chance to sit down and take the photos people asked for previously. Apologies the mechs aren't painted, but I'm still considering what unit(s) to paint them as.

Battlemechs on a Z Scale train board:
    2mwovb8lpfly.jpg
    ab6dhcjtzf7c.jpg
    z2n3c7jsbjqt.jpg

Also, somebody asked about comparisons for DZC scale miniatures and Battlemechs:

First one is against a wide range of the minis:
    6to7czodspsp.jpg

This one is with the ones that looked closest to matching the scale of the mechs, as well as some of the infantry:
    4n8ogtiyvl1i.jpg

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I just realized I never included the pictures of the Longbow artillery pieces from DZC (which might work for Long Toms in Battletech). Let me know if anybody wants a specific model comparison and I'll see what i can do.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Posted in the Painting Thread, but I finally put some color on my Hawks.
    mtkKNN9h.jpg

I need to do a cleaner job on them but the actual livery came out pretty nice.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Painting some redshirts? 🤣

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Nips wrote: »
    Painting some redshirts? 🤣

Sort of, that's the Earth Federation Forces standard space color scheme for the GMs (mass-production general purpose mobile suits in the original Gundam universe). All white except for a red upper torso. I was actually planning on doing that for a lance of minis from my older starting box (don't know which ones, yet). It's a sharp color scheme:
    7o0sc6ls6a23.jpg

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I picked up the Hextech Grasslands Hex Hill .stl bundle from Steel Warrior Studios.

It is very reasonably priced, very nice quality, looks amazing and super easy to print. I'll post pics once I get one painted, but I am quite excited.

I must give kudos to @McGibs for introducing me to these fine folks. Pretty much everything they have on their store is quality. Though the times being what they are only .stl files are available.

Their city buildings in particular are worthy of praise. Sure you can find and print off buildings for free from elsewhere, in fact I am doing that right now, but not only do their buildings look good they are also cleverly designed to be hex friendly. Not just the bases, but the roofs too without being super obvious about it.

If you've a 3d printer I wholeheartedly recommend buying at least one of their hex terrain .stl bundles. At $15 it is an easy recommendation.

Axen on
  • Options
    I want their Arisaka model to use as a Japanese Rifleman so badly, but it's been out of stock for like, ever.

Their models are top-notch, but it makes me itch a little at how blatant (but distinct through artistic interpretation) most of their 'Mech designs are. Like, I want to buy their models, but I'd rather spend that money supporting CGL.

*First World Problems*

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Well if it helps there's no way to currently give money to CGL anyway for Mechs.

But soon, soon. Imma buy every fucking set. Probably twice.

edit- @Nips *cough*ahem*cough*

Axen on
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Well if it helps there's no way to currently give money to CGL anyway for Mechs.

But soon, soon. Imma buy every fucking set. Probably twice.

edit- @Nips *cough*ahem*cough*

*clicks button*

*buys robot*

*throws shame in trash can*

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Hah, the 'copyright friendly' alternative names for the Steel Warrior Studios mech minis are pretty clever.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Considering Battletech's own history I do find this pretty humorous- Oh holy shit I need it!

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I want their Arisaka model to use as a Japanese Rifleman so badly, but it's been out of stock for like, ever.

Their models are top-notch, but it makes me itch a little at how blatant (but distinct through artistic interpretation) most of their 'Mech designs are. Like, I want to buy their models, but I'd rather spend that money supporting CGL.

*First World Problems*

Most of their designs really. They have a Battlestar Galactica section, which is kind of hilarious. Didn't think that had a wargamming fandom?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    B E E S !

fj8c2eea8qq6.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    The 360-rotation renders are particularly choice.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    B E E S !

fj8c2eea8qq6.jpg

Zeus got a bit of a beer gut there.

But I like what they've done with the Stalker.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Finished painting (most) of the Mechs I'd gotten. Still need to be based, but my basing source is closed for the time being.

Lights
    SIKfpLX.jpg

Mediums
    zUeVNYP.jpg

Heavies
    NGqOLOW.jpg

Assaults
    SkHq3cM.jpg

I've a lance coming in (Monday) that'll be part of my Capellan OpFor unit. Still mulling over the paint scheme for them, certainly nothing elaborate. Probably mostly green and black with a splash of some other Lance identifying color.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I can't get over the Stalker's little cartoon booties though.
    19568_orig.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Finished painting (most) of the Mechs I'd gotten. Still need to be based, but my basing source is closed for the time being.

Lights
    SIKfpLX.jpg

Hawkeye? and Iron Man
    Mediums
    zUeVNYP.jpg

?, ?, Gundam (not sure which, but the chest looks more navy/black than blue, so I'm guessing Nu Gundam?)
    Heavies
    NGqOLOW.jpg

No idea on either of these
    Assaults
    SkHq3cM.jpg

Master Chief SPARTAN-117, your Oosik Irregular?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Iron man, but not Hawkeye. Though coincidentally it does kinda match his color scheme.

A Gundam, just done from memory so I didn't have any specific one in mind.

The Heavies are nothing specific.

Yes and Yes.

Also, the Wolverine is Wolverine.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Tox wrote: »
    B E E S !

fj8c2eea8qq6.jpg

Zeus got a bit of a beer gut there.

But I like what they've done with the Stalker.

I feel like the Zeus was always a little pot-bellied though. I've never been a big fan of it, but the Zeus is one of those mechs that always manages to look pretty decent. Trebuchet falls into that group as well, though I'll always be partial to the cardboard standee art from the Battletech Fourth Edition starter box:
    uiwl1dcshf55.png

That Stalker looks pretty good though, whereas I usually dislike it.

Apparently even these artists couldn't redeem the Longbow however.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Iron man, but not Hawkeye. Though coincidentally it does kinda match his color scheme.

A Gundam, just done from memory so I didn't have any specific one in mind.

The Heavies are nothing specific.

Yes and Yes.

Also, the Wolverine is Wolverine.

I will say the color scheme on that Catapult is really cool.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I'm rather partial to it myself and might design a Lance around it.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Poor Longbow just always looks like the lamer GoBot knockoff version of the Catapult.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    It's the one original Macross Destroid I never liked. All the others look awesome, but the Phalanx just always looked a bit shit to me.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I'll say it then:

I like the new Longbow. It's got that "Fuck You MISSSSSSSSSSSIIIIILLLLLLEEEEES" look that I can appreciate.

Like a toned-down, more reasonable Bane 3.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I will say this for the new Longbow model: I like that they replaced the Phalanx' searchlight head with what looks like one of those rotating LIDAR scanners? Seems like it would be a lot more useful for a walking missile launcher.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Friend's 3D printer is finally back up and running. He asked me to make a couple changes to the models I posted above (remove the tapered lip, make the Twist token bigger) and just sent me this pic a few minutes ago.
    Tokens.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Friend's 3D printer is finally back up and running. He asked me to make a couple changes to the models I posted above (remove the tapered lip, make the Twist token bigger) and just sent me this pic a few minutes ago.
    Tokens.jpg

Nice. You might want markers for Skidding and Immobile too.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So about 8 days ago I ordered a 3d printed Lance from ebay for my Capellan OpFor. Today they've come in! They are of fine quality and are all appropriately sized, near as far as I can tell. So far I've only glued them to the bases.

Flea
    SPUjWbO.jpg

Cicada
    XK7qNnb.jpg

Cataphract
    hV28mAu.jpg

Lao Hu
    TQCNbgR.jpg

The Lao Hu model was created by this fellow who kitbashed it in to existence. A very Capellan thing to do, I must say. Technically it shouldn't have chicken legs, but it did in MechCommander 2 soooo. Plus I love chicken legs.

I had actually wanted the Sha Yu, but it seems I accidentally requested the Lao Hu instead. Ah well, all good.

B-b-b-bonus!
    LIP1gLr.jpg

Axen on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Updated the 2nd post with a link to the google doc - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kRrSuOPCb-NkCHMVEfOSoy4CyQK-lVdkO_1wEtQ8CQ8/edit?pli=1#gid=1778188692

Gonna build a lance with a Crusader, Long Bow, and Archer. Thinking maybe a Valkyrie, since it's a classic/unseen, has LRMs (both of which are basically the goal here), and since it's a light it can scout/cover for the LRM team.

Of course I could just kitbash a Rifleman and a Catapult. They'll be MRM-bots anyway.

fakeedit - now that I look at, by the time you up-armor a Rifleman, you're looking at enough tonnage from the ACs for, like, a quad of MRM-10s, if you drop the MLs. Or drop the LLs, but I like those because they have the exact same range as the MRMs.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Buddy: “How do you reconcile the fact that models of the same Mech can look so wildly different. It’d bug me.”

Me: “Easy, a 2000 Chevy Silverado looks very different from a 2020 Silverado.”

Edit- to expand.

My head canon for why models of the same Mech look different (whether official or 3rd party) is because visual tastes change over the decades or that different manufacturers take their own spin on things to make it “theirs”.

Axen on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Buddy: “How do you reconcile the fact that models of the same Mech can look so wildly different. It’d bug me.”

Edit- to expand.

My head canon for why models of the same Mech look different (whether official or 3rd party) is because visual tastes change over the decades or that different manufacturers take their own spin on things to make it “theirs”.

I generally go with "Most of these mechs are decades, maybe centuries, old, handed down through the generations, repaired and re-equipped as well as possible as needed, and over the years the repairs between two mechs on different planets probably diverges significantly enough to account for any difference in appearance."

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    If anyone plays Warframe, tell them that a Royal BattleMaster is a BattleMaster Prime.

Although I guess BattleTechwise that nomenclature makes it sound like a Clan OmniMech. Hmm.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Edit- to expand.

I generally go with "Most of these mechs are decades, maybe centuries, old, handed down through the generations, repaired and re-equipped as well as possible as needed, and over the years the repairs between two mechs on different planets probably diverges significantly enough to account for any difference in appearance."

Yeah that too.

In other tabletop games models being so visibly different would bug the hell out of me. In Battletech though I can think up a whole host of reasons why’d they’d be different.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    see317 wrote: »

Edit- to expand.

Yeah that too.

In other tabletop games models being so visibly different would bug the hell out of me. In Battletech though I can think up a whole host of reasons why’d they’d be different.

That is one of the cool things about the whole "worn universe" aesthetic of Battletech, that you just don't tend to see in a lot of other settings.

Even in 40k, where, lore wise, you've got tanks that are centuries old, titans that have literally millennia of service walking through the most extreme war zones that can be imagined, and battle armor that's been handed down through the Space Marine chapters since the Emperor walked the fields of battle, and they all look the same. The landraiders that are rolling off production lines "today" look the same as the ones that have been in service for centuries.

Edit: To clarify, I realize there are in universe reasons for human tech never changing. But it still bugs me.

see317 on
  • Options
    Why do the IWM models look fugly?

Easy.

Many of those Mechs were built shortly after the First Succession War. The industrial base of the Inner Sphere was basically non-existent. Manufacturers didn’t have the resources, tooling or know-how to get fancy with production and the Great Houses didn’t care. The House Lords wanted as many Mechs as they could get as fast as they could get them before the next war started. As a result manufacturers put out Mechs with a more utilitarian and basic design.