As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Jazz have you tried googling your model of laptop and the issue you're experiencing?

Another option is to check the laptop OEM for driver updates. It sounds to me like it has something to do with the sleep state of the laptop and how settings migrate from nonvolatile memory to volatile.

It could also be that the laptop doesn't like being put to sleep. I've had a number of work laptops with that issue over the years (and 1 or 2 personal ones).

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Both are on the same version of Windows 10?

Ooh, the media PC is Pro I believe and my gaming PC is home.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    I have a Windows file sharing issue. Our network is just a Verizon FIOS router running things, and I have static IPs set up for the PCs.

I'm trying to share files between PCs. I have a Media PC connected via ethernet, and a gaming PC connected via WiFi. The Media PC has an external hard drive I'd like to share. I believe I've set it up properly - sharing is on, drive appears to be shared, printer sharing is on. I can't see it on the gaming PC, I can't even see any evidence that the Media PC exists under "Network." I have some things shared on my gaming PC, and the Media PC can see those.

Any ideas?

Kind of a stupid suggestion, but the most obvious thing is making sure Network Discovery and the other basic file-sharing services are on, and stay on, for the other PCs.

Since they generally don't impact using internet through a shared network, it's easy for them to get shut off for whatever reason if you've gone a long time without sharing files locally....

Yeah, I checked, I'm fairly certain they are all on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That's fine, I more meant that both are on 1903 or both are on 1909 or whatever. Once 1903 came around file sharing got some changes that makes sharing with anything before 1903 a nightmare.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Jazz have you tried googling your model of laptop and the issue you're experiencing?

Another option is to check the laptop OEM for driver updates. It sounds to me like it has something to do with the sleep state of the laptop and how settings migrate from nonvolatile memory to volatile.

It could also be that the laptop doesn't like being put to sleep. I've had a number of work laptops with that issue over the years (and 1 or 2 personal ones).

A Google suggests it happens with similar but not the same models too; they seem to blame it on something to do with Windows, so who knows. There's workarounds like I use but not a true fix, it seems. (Drivers are all up to date, afaik.)

Considering my previous laptop's sleep mode was unusable since, upon waking from sleep, the display wouldn't come on (!), this is small potatoes by comparison!

This is the only issue I've noticed this one have with sleep, and it's easy enough to live with - more just a quirk than an actual problem.

• Options

That's fine, I more meant that both are on 1903 or both are on 1909 or whatever. Once 1903 came around file sharing got some changes that makes sharing with anything before 1903 a nightmare.

I thought Media PC was on 1909, but it's not. I'll update to that and see if that helps.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I thought Media PC was on 1909, but it's not. I'll update to that and see if that helps.

:/ still not working.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

:/ still not working.

Turns out I can access the Media PC, it just isn't showing up under Network. Not sure why. But anyway, I was able to map what I wanted as a network drive.

This explains some of it: http://woshub.com/network-computers-not-showing-windows-10/#h2_2

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Yet another reason I'm never upgrading my Win7 install. The community is keeping things going now anyhow, with the 'Chocolatey' project/package manger etcetera.
    This is another example where the best thing you can say about Settings is "well, it works, for the most part." The collection of advanced functionality in the old System applet is admittedly rather arbitrary. But in our opinion, "Access work or school" isn't any better.

Reports on Win7's death have been greatly exaggerated in the name of stupid forced obsolescence that makes things worse and less functional, not better, IMO. There is no viable Win64 upgrade path, IMO, as that path is actively worse and even hostile to the end user.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The Windows 10 paradigm is that the user-facing bits should be usable by "normal" users and do they things they need and admins should do remote management/fixing with Powershell. The default Win10 Server install is Headless, IIRC.

The pain is largely the fault of Past Microsoft, who wanted admins to be able to do everything in the GUI so that it was "easy to learn" and they'd get more deployments. As IT headcounts decrease, they need to play nice with automated tools and cross-tasked UNIX admins, which all expect to be able to configure everything in the shell.

Saying that Windows 7 not getting support anymore is "forced obsolescense" is like saying you should be able to install modern Linux apps on Ubuntu 9.10 or Red Hat 6, which are of the same era as Windows 7.

Or have fun trying to run any Mac software on Snow Leopard (10.6) at this point.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I wish microsoft had forced all windows 7 machines to update to 10 automatically.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I wish microsoft had forced all windows 7 machines to update to 10 automatically.

Remember when they did that and people threw a conniption fit? Those were fun times.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Remember when they did that and people threw a conniption fit? Those were fun times.

I wish they would do it to all computers regardless of group policies, that way it would force the hands of the medical imaging companies to actually update their fucking software.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

They came pretty fucking close to it, let me tell you as someone who didn't want them to.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The problem is they should have forced everyone to do it in the last year of Windows 7's support cycle instead of blowing that chance when Win10 first came out.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Honestly? Windows 10 came out five years ago. We're at the point that computers that came out before Windows 10 are hitting obsolescence, never mind that Windows 8 was even before that. I almost never recommend my clients upgrade their Win7 machines to 10 because they very often have substandard parts that I worry either won't be compatible, or just won't be a good experience.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    The Windows 10 paradigm is that the user-facing bits should be usable by "normal" users and do they things they need and admins should do remote management/fixing with Powershell. The default Win10 Server install is Headless, IIRC.

The pain is largely the fault of Past Microsoft, who wanted admins to be able to do everything in the GUI so that it was "easy to learn" and they'd get more deployments. As IT headcounts decrease, they need to play nice with automated tools and cross-tasked UNIX admins, which all expect to be able to configure everything in the shell.

Saying that Windows 7 not getting support anymore is "forced obsolescense" is like saying you should be able to install modern Linux apps on Ubuntu 9.10 or Red Hat 6, which are of the same era as Windows 7.

Or have fun trying to run any Mac software on Snow Leopard (10.6) at this point.

Powershell sucks. If you can use bash, fine. Unix command-line is a much better experience than Windows and built with that in mind, so I don't have any issues there.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The problem is they should have forced everyone to do it in the last year of Windows 7's support cycle instead of blowing that chance when Win10 first came out.

I know it's an unfashionable concept these days, but some people still have this weird illusion about actually owning their PCs.

• Options
    Honestly? Windows 10 came out five years ago. We're at the point that computers that came out before Windows 10 are hitting obsolescence, never mind that Windows 8 was even before that. I almost never recommend my clients upgrade their Win7 machines to 10 because they very often have substandard parts that I worry either won't be compatible, or just won't be a good experience.

The Windows 10 system requirements have barely changed, I think only the required amount of storage on the x64 edition has changed. In the vast majority of cases, if a PC can run Windows 7, it'll run Windows 10 at least as well.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »

I know it's an unfashionable concept these days, but some people still have this weird illusion about actually owning their PCs.

And everyone running Windows 7 on a computer that is connected to the internet now poses a threat to the health of the internet across the world, as they are running unsupported software with security holes that will not get fixed.

• Options

And everyone running Windows 7 on a computer that is connected to the internet now poses a threat to the health of the internet across the world, as they are running unsupported software with security holes that will not get fixed.

I could with nearly equal justice say that anyone running any Windows poses a similar hazard. Perhaps you should all be forced to stop using an intrinsically outdated and insecure OS in favour of more securable alternatives. After all, since we're claiming a moral right to dictate how others use their PCs for the health of the internet, why stop with banning the worst OS when we could ban the second worst too? Possibly this might cause you some minor inconvenience, but what of it? Is your convenience more important than the health of the public internet?

Thank you, I thought not.

(We should probably do the same for browsers too. I trust you're not running an illegal Chrome session on the public net, citizen?)

More seriously, if we're talking about actual legal requirements to protect "the health of the internet" then OS security and updates should be regulated in a way analogous to, for example, automobiles that use public roads - that feels like a fair comparison to me, and presumably to you.

Certainly an operating system provider that uses the same system to push security updates should be absolutely restricted from using it to do things like re-enable advertising or change other settings despite the PC owner's wishes. Microsoft has absolutely and in no way earned anything like the trust required to be allowed to force people to do anything "for their own good", and it would take a significant and sustained change in their corporate direction for them to even make a start in doing so. What you're proposing is equivalent to giving the 1960s era US automobile manufacturers the unsupervised right to declare previous models "unsafe" and force people to buy new cars. A literal invitation to abuse.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

So, basically get the fuck off the internet because you're poor and can't afford a new computer? That is some classist/elitist shit-baggery right there. :rotate:

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1296888-jim-sterling
    "Oh No! Not the poors! Not on my internet, harumph!" :eh:

So long as the user knows what the fuck they're doing, a properly maintained Win7 install has probably the same threat/risk profile as any Win10 user, perhaps even less so, as criminal gangs (and lame script kiddies) tend to target 'hotter' or more recent exploits.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    We can have a debate without sending directed attacks (on both sides), folks. No need to turn into geese.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Exploits found in Windows 10 will most likely be applicable to Windows 7, which has a huge and inviting user base, and those exploits will not be patched.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

So, basically get the fuck off the internet because you're poor and can't afford a new computer? That is some classist/elitist shit-baggery right there. :rotate:

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1296888-jim-sterling
    "Oh No! Not the poors! Not on my internet, harumph!" :eh:

So long as the user knows what the fuck they're doing, a properly maintained Win7 install has probably the same threat/risk profile as any Win10 user, perhaps even less so, as criminal gangs (and lame script kiddies) tend to target 'hotter' or more recent exploits.

Rather baseless outrage since anyone can still upgrade 7 to 10 for free if they desire.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I wish MS would actually advertise that instead of pretending that they ended the free upgrade program

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I wish MS would actually advertise that instead of pretending that they ended the free upgrade program

They did end it. You can still upgrade using the media creation tool, but it's technically against the licensing agreement. I know it's rare, but I have seen a few machines upgrade fine and later switch to being unlicensed.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I wish I could remap some of the windows shortcuts away from the windows key. I know Autohotkey is a thing but it doesn't solve my problem.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What's the problem exactly?

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    What's the problem exactly?

I do a lot of work in remote desktop sessions. I have found that using virtual workspaces is a great way to be able to quickly switch between my local machine (workspace 1) and the RDP (workspace 2). I can use Win+Ctrl+Left or +Right to swap between workspaces but then the windows key cannot be sent to the remote machine.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The Windows store thing that launches Sea of Thieves and Gears of War 5?

What is that thing?

I can't find it.

In my stumbling I turned on "Xbox" which was not only not it, but now it turns on at Startup and pesters me for a smart card of all things and I can't find an option to turn it off at startup (EDIT - nvm, found it). I got Gears of War 5 going directly but I still can't find that shop.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Type "Store" into start, start the MS Store, search for game, hit the play button on the game page. You'll need to launch the store to update them too.

But if you installed them you should have shortcuts on your desktop/in your start menu too.

• Options
    you're probably thinking about the Xbox app, which right now is technically still in beta

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/xbox-app

Honestly, I don't like that app. I find it slow, and not very functional except to easily see what's on game pass.

if I want to run a Windows store game I have installed, I just run it out of the start menu.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Cantido wrote: »
    The Windows store thing that launches Sea of Thieves and Gears of War 5?

What is that thing?

I can't find it.

In my stumbling I turned on "Xbox" which was not only not it, but now it turns on at Startup and pesters me for a smart card of all things and I can't find an option to turn it off at startup (EDIT - nvm, found it). I got Gears of War 5 going directly but I still can't find that shop.

Ruling out the obvious, the name is "Gears 5". As a test, I decided to enter "Gears 5" into the Windows Store app (you know, that program with the big shopping bag with a Windows emblem inside of it, kind of hard to miss), and the game Gears 5 is, very predictably, the first reuslt. There is no Gears of War 5, but for the sake of comprehensiveness, I entered that into Windows Store, and Gears 5 is still the first result.

What exactly were you finding? Where you were you looking?

There are at least four ways to install an Xbox game on PC: you can do it through the Store. You can do it through Xbox.com. And you can do it through the Xbox app. And you can do it through the Xbox Console Companion app.

That last point is actually complicated, unlike the first two, which are basically as mechanically simple as possible: more than a year ago, Microsoft split the Xbox Companion app into the Console Companion App and the Xbox App. This was probably because enough people claimed about the app doing too many things--yes, too many things, and to be fair, it does everything from console streaming to messaging to parties to friends messages to content sharing. You can even install apps, via links generated to the Store app. But enough people complained about wanting an app that didn't do any of those things so Microsoft churned out a very basic one and called that the Xbox App that focused on Game Pass. It doesn't do any of those other things.

Apparently a "smart card" is related to the security settings for Windows 10 on a whole. You should probably look into that for your own sake, whether or not you play any of these games.

(You can also install apps to either PC or console via the smart phone app, but if you're having trouble on PC, I wouldn't recommend the Game Pass smartphone app. But that is a fifth way.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Windows 10 2004 edition is a piece of shit. My system has been stable since November but less than 6 hours after it forced 2004 I had a BSOD. Didn't catch the error as it disappeared just as I came back into the room. Just had firefox and spotify open but wasn't using audio at the time.

I've reinstalled a bunch of drivers, ran sfc and installed another set of updates. Thanks windows. I thought they slowed or halted rollout of this update until they'd fixed it?

• Options
    Download bluescreenview from Nirsoft. It'll give you an idea of where the crash happened.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Oh that's handy. Thanks.

Looks like a driver problem. I'd already installed newer drivers so hopefully that fixes it.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The latest update for Windows 10 (2004 edition) has completely wrecked the array microphone on my Lenovo 2-in-1 flex. I've had to go in and disable a whole bunch of random things to get the microphone to work in Zoom or Facebook messenger. It works fine in settings with everything enabled like before, but I had to go in and deactivate both the microphone audio enhancements as well as the speaker audio enhancements. Figuring that out was a real pain. Apparently it's been happening for a lot of people with Lenovos and not just for the recent patch. Fully updated drivers, bios, and software has not helped at all.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My PC is connected to the fiber modem via ethernet, and, as you can see by the fact i'm posting right now, i'm perfectly online. Everything else also works, including steam, skype, etc., and even the remote server i must connect to to work are ok.

EXCEPT the OS itself, Window 10 1903, suddenly decided not to consider my ethernet connection as valid, and thus windows update, windows store and windows store apps won't work.

I googled around and did all the "turn this shit off and on again at the powershell" fixes, disabled IPv6, reenabled the ethernet adapter, plugged a wifi usb adapter, reinstalled the driver, restarted the modem/router... Nothing made any difference.

It's clearly not a network thing, but a windows being stupid thing.
    Anyone has any idea of what I could do?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    My PC is connected to the fiber modem via ethernet, and, as you can see by the fact i'm posting right now, i'm perfectly online. Everything else also works, including steam, skype, etc., and even the remote server i must connect to to work are ok.

EXCEPT the OS itself, Window 10 1903, suddenly decided not to consider my ethernet connection as valid, and thus windows update, windows store and windows store apps won't work.

I googled around and did all the "turn this shit off and on again at the powershell" fixes, disabled IPv6, reenabled the ethernet adapter, plugged a wifi usb adapter, reinstalled the driver, restarted the modem/router... Nothing made any difference.

It's clearly not a network thing, but a windows being stupid thing.
    Anyone has any idea of what I could do?

This isn't intended to be insulting, but did you try restarting the computer?