As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Giving this a whirl and it seems to be running a lot worse than I'd expect for the horsepower I've got (2080 Super/Ryzen 3900X). Did not expect a 6 year old MMO to be the one I might have to drop the resolution on :bigfrown:

I'm gonna say you might have something messing with you/interfering then. I run it at maxed settings on a Ryzen 3600, GTX 1080, at 4k (downsampled to 1440p) and get 60+ fps. It's quite un-demanding.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm on a 3950X with a 2080 Ti and ESO will definitely struggle sometimes, even though I run at 1440p (so I get 120hz refresh). It's normally above 100 FPS, but if I'm doing a dolmen, or in a big city, I'll see drops to the 30s. It also has weird periods where it will drop to 30 for no real reason for 30 or 40 seconds, then recover and be fine.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Oh, yeah, dolmens and cities can get a bit shit sometimes. I'm not sure lowering the res would make much difference in those areas though.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Speaking of dolmens, I finally got Fighters Guild 10 last night. Not my favorite grind in the world, but Barbed Trap and Dawnbreaker are worth it.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Just got this on PS4, its pretty fun.

Seems like you need both the PS4 online and the ESO online sub in order to do a lot though.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, I played during the free weekend this week, bought it for reals on Monday, and was able to muscle through until today before the siren song of the crafting bag lured me to a 1-month Plus sub.

Account name's the same as here if there's a guild going. Main's a Nord DK. I know I'm probably doing everything wrong with where to put attribute and skill points but I'm not too worried atm. Normally tanking's my thing, but I might do some sort of 2H stam build until I get the blocking and bashing down better.

Otherwise I've been having fun, Did about half of VVardenfell before heading to the mainland and doing some of the main and faction quest, figure I'd stick with it through Stonefall and then maybe try out an alt or two.

steam_sig.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, I played during the free weekend this week, bought it for reals on Monday, and was able to muscle through until today before the siren song of the crafting bag lured me to a 1-month Plus sub.

Account name's the same as here if there's a guild going. Main's a Nord DK. I know I'm probably doing everything wrong with where to put attribute and skill points but I'm not too worried atm. Normally tanking's my thing, but I might do some sort of 2H stam build until I get the blocking and bashing down better.

Otherwise I've been having fun, Did about half of VVardenfell before heading to the mainland and doing some of the main and faction quest, figure I'd stick with it through Stonefall and then maybe try out an alt or two.

Wait, there’s content outside Vvardenfell? I’m 31 and haven’t left yet :?

I’ve been meaning to but I keep running into people who need help.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

Basically all of the zones scale, and there is a kind of prestige levels system beyond 50, so there's nothing to stop you going to every area and doing all the quests there at basically any point you would like.

Crafting writs drew me away, first because I can't spot any of the alchemy materials on most of Vvardenfell for all the foliage, even with the skill, and second because apparently you have to go to Summerset to get certified for Jewelcrafting before you can do those writs.

steam_sig.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Starting a new character and looking at capital cities with ESO+ active...kinda wish there were something built into the game to let you do quests in something resembling chronological order.

Since as is, if you go to a starting city you're going to have all that zones quests mixed in with about 15 different DLC intros and faction prologues and the Prophet (and then Vanus) pushing you to speedrun the entire vanilla story all the way through Coldharbour before you leave the first zone. I have a headache just thinking about how to guide a friend through it all, since he wants to play it that way. Maybe he should buy as little as possible at a time...but Elsweyr Standard is $15 right now, so...

edited April 2020
    Kamar wrote: »
    Starting a new character and looking at capital cities with ESO+ active...kinda wish there were something built into the game to let you do quests in something resembling chronological order.

Since as is, if you go to a starting city you're going to have all that zones quests mixed in with about 15 different DLC intros and faction prologues and the Prophet (and then Vanus) pushing you to speedrun the entire vanilla story all the way through Coldharbour before you leave the first zone. I have a headache just thinking about how to guide a friend through it all, since he wants to play it that way. Maybe he should buy as little as possible at a time...but Elsweyr Standard is $15 right now, so...

Won't save him from the prologue quests, which don't require the DLC/xpac that they're part of, and at least two of which involve characters from the main quest.

That said, there's actually a bit of reactivity when it comes to doing things that are technically out of order. For example, Naryu shows up in both the Ebonheart Pact's questline, mostly in Deshaan, and in the quest line for Balmora in Vvardenfell. Since I had completed the Balmora questline before I got to meet her for the "first" time in Deshaan, she recognized me, even though Deshaan's questline canonically happened before the events of Balmora. I think to get the most out of it though, you have to complete the one of the questlines to the end before starting the other, otherwise the only reaction you might get (if any) is an "oh it's you" and then you get to ask the dumb questions you shouldn't be asking because you had already asked those dumb questions the first time you met in the other questline.

EDIT: also, I would probably pace the Main quest as two quests per region, starting the first time you reach the city you were abducted in (so a Covenant character wouldn't start "The Harborage" until they've returned to Daggerfall in the faction quest chain, a Pact character would wait until they got to Davon's Watch, etc.) doing it that way would line up the end of the faction questline to about where the Main quest line canonically intercedes with each other.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

It'd be nice if they included a choice during Character Creation which story you wanna start with. As is, you just get dumped into whatever latest tutorial-zone you have access to. Likewise, the whole 'no unlimited side-bag for crafting materials unless you subscribe' deal is a major reason why I'm not playing now. I like to pick up crap and it'd be nice if I didn't have to pay 15 bucks a month to not shove a zone's worth of mats into my already limited bag/bank space.

Just saw this on Reddit, might help?

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/fzl8y6/a_guide_to_playing_eso_in_order_based_on_release/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    My favorite part of how there's no real semblance of order in the quest lines now is passing by the same NPC in 3 different outfits not too far away from each other. And then doing quests for an NPC that has long been dead (as far as the character I was on was concerned).

Okay, watching a bunch of players super obviously trying to pickpocket everyone in Abah's Landing to unlock the larceny quests, and then going through the first couple of Thieves Guild quests at the same time, making it look like it was a parkour session is more amusing than it has any right to be.

steam_sig.png
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/fzl8y6/a_guide_to_playing_eso_in_order_based_on_release/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

That guide is useful. The one I've been following failed to mention you should space out the main quests, so I keep getting yanked back to the Harborage ten seconds after I leave when the Prophet remembers one more thing he wanted to tell me.
    Okay, watching a bunch of players super obviously trying to pickpocket everyone in Abah's Landing to unlock the larceny quests, and then going through the first couple of Thieves Guild quests at the same time, making it look like it was a parkour session is more amusing than it has any right to be.

I legit love watching the people sneaking around Abah's Landing and getting chased by guards. It's one of the few times an mmo has really felt like it's benefiting from having dozens of people in the area and feeling more alive.

steam_sig.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

ah, but in truth, compare the average Abah's pickpocket to folks in Vulkwasten or Tel Ahrun, and you'll.... well. You'll see a difference. :)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Veagle wrote: »

That guide is useful. The one I've been following failed to mention you should space out the main quests, so I keep getting yanked back to the Harborage ten seconds after I leave when the Prophet remembers one more thing he wanted to tell me.

I legit love watching the people sneaking around Abah's Landing and getting chased by guards. It's one of the few times an mmo has really felt like it's benefiting from having dozens of people in the area and feeling more alive.

Oh yeah, the crime and justice system is one of the best things about running around in cities, watching players trying to steal things, running from guards and whatnot. Definitely something I'd love to see future MMOs iterate upon.

steam_sig.png
    Veagle wrote: »

Oh yeah, the crime and justice system is one of the best things about running around in cities, watching players trying to steal things, running from guards and whatnot. Definitely something I'd love to see future MMOs iterate upon.

a GREAT PLEASURE is having better Sneak than that guy and sitting just out of range of the guards. I honestly would love to organize a popcorn.gif Peanut Gallery in /say chat for that.

"lovely technique but poor on execution! /golf clap"

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    been playing this a bit

theres a lot to do huh?

also incredibly poor quest flow

also, is the pc guild still active?

PiptheFair wrote: »
    been playing this a bit

theres a lot to do huh?

"Active"... not super. But some of us are on fairly often. I'm on every day and can send an invite if you give me your account name. There's a second guild, too, run by @Lucid_Seraph last I knew...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    been playing this a bit

theres a lot to do huh?

"Active"... not super. But some of us are on fairly often. I'm on every day and can send an invite if you give me your account name. There's a second guild, too, run by @Lucid_Seraph last I knew...

we aren't active but there's a fuckton of stuff in the bank for crafting, just like. poke me to get on and put you in.

edited April 2020
    I see a lot of tips to have a single character dedicated to crafting; if I'm not planning to super hardcore min/max or anything, is it a huge issue if my character puts points in 1-2 crafting skills? Or will that crush me in the endgame?

I know this is a couple weeks old, but I feel like I've played enough to be confident in saying that this advice isn't a "Skill point shortage" thing as more of a "trying to keep track of more than one character's research progress at a time will turn you into a gibbering loon to rival Sheogorath" thing.

EDIT: I would also like an invite to the guild. Account name is Foefaller.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    It's also more convenient in terms of motifs and whatnot, though I guess a lot of endgame motifs are heavily divided instead of just being 'motif for everything'.

the decision to make elsweyr the starting zone is very weird

I went from tharn and cadwell being my buddies, to suddenly them being treacherous assholes during the main quest

Tharn is almost always your buddy.

Sorta.

I might be biased, since Tharn's the best character in ESO except maybe Razum-dar.

also, goddamnit sheoggorath, you continue to just be the worst

edited April 2020
    Tharn is almost always your buddy.

Sorta.

I might be biased, since Tharn's the best character in ESO except maybe Razum-dar.

Haven't gotten too far in the main quest, and have barely touched Elsweyr, but from what I've seen so far, he is an excellent example of Lawful Evil. Yes, he would stab you in the back without any regret, but only because it was for the good of the Empire.

I mean, you can ask him and he'll tell you the same thing.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Got to CP160 tonight. Time to actually start caring about gear. Almost to the point where I can start crafting 6 trait set gear and have Divines and Training for everything, so I can start equipping alts soon as well.

edited April 2020
    I see a lot of tips to have a single character dedicated to crafting; if I'm not planning to super hardcore min/max or anything, is it a huge issue if my character puts points in 1-2 crafting skills? Or will that crush me in the endgame?

I know this is a couple weeks old, but I feel like I've played enough to be confident in saying that this advice isn't a "Skill point shortage" thing as more of a "trying to keep track of more than one character's research progress at a time will turn you into a gibbering loon to rival Sheogorath" thing.

EDIT: I would also like an invite to the guild. Account name is Foefaller.

Can you give me a character name? Searching by account name keeps returning Account Not Found. *edit* actually, that might have worked. Check your invites and let me know when you accept so I can promote you to have bank access.

If you are in the guild and DON'T have bank access, let me know asap. Sorry that I'm so slow. I should probably promote someone else more active than me to have invite control.

Lucid_Seraph on
    Man...I know from researching that even a completely useless set of racials only puts you like 5-6% behind the absolute strongest race for DPS, which is probably the role that sees the biggest impact from racials (and I'm certainly going to be losing way more than that to my poor play), but I still have trouble making myself roll up, say, a Bosmer as a healer.

I thought about it and I realized I'm mostly worried about being judged right off the bat when I zone into group content. Thanks, social anxiety!

edited April 2020
    Man...I know from researching that even a completely useless set of racials only puts you like 5-6% behind the absolute strongest race for DPS, which is probably the role that sees the biggest impact from racials (and I'm certainly going to be losing way more than that to my poor play), but I still have trouble making myself roll up, say, a Bosmer as a healer.

I thought about it and I realized I'm mostly worried about being judged right off the bat when I zone into group content. Thanks, social anxiety!

DO WHAT YOU WANT AND FUCK THE HATERS

ARE U ROL HELZ? I HAVE
    * half a tank (needs gear)
    * A FULL RIDICULOUS DPS WHO IS KINDA A TANK HYBRID BY VIRTUE OF BIENG A DRAGON KNIGHT

what dungeon you wanna do, I will punch any haters. my tank is literaly named Princess Punchfist. *edit* and uh, what time. my schedule is hideously flexible at present but plz name a window between 9:00 AM EST and 22:00 / 10:00 PM EST

Lucid_Seraph on

I got a Nord Dragonknight that I plan to spec into tanking once I'm ready to dungeon crawl (probably going to do some of it once I hit 50 so I can get the right skills maxed out), but then tanking is my preferred role, so it made sense to me to meta it.

You can alway excuse it in your head by telling yourself that no race has a set a passives that are 100% worthless to a build, because every build is going to use magicka and stamina, deal damage at some point, and engage in at least self-healing.

steam_sig.png
    I marginally regret that my (now) magicka nightblade is a wood elf due to passives, but I probably won’t ever get deep enough into endgame for it to matter terribly much.

I just play whatever. Bretons and wood elves are my favorite races so most of my characters are those, regardless of build. I don't feel like the passives are very important.

Of course, I also have zero interest in end game group content either...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Play what you like is always my suggestion. I'll never be a min/max player.

That said, all...7?... chars of mine are Argonian or Khajiit.

You know, the Ra Gada history quest in Al'akir Desert always kind of skeeved me out because its like, you're recreating the Ra Gada wars of conquest and genocide as if they were noble heroes, but this time I noticed something interesting.

When it's time to recreate the war against Orsinium, it's unambiguously a massacre. The orc spirits are surrounded on all sides and massively outnumbered by Ra Gada ghosts, some of them are exhausted against a wall before you aggro them, etc. It's got to be an intentional thing to contrast Throne Keeper Farvad talking about how honorable it all was right after.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

I've always loved lizardfolk in D&D so 90% of my characters in morrobliviwind/eso have been argonians. As far as furries go, TES has integrated them extremely well into the story and 'feel' of the world.

I've been clearing out Vvardenfell and just got to a quest where a demon-cursed elf woman is being run out of town for daring to love a magically anthropomorphized lizard that worships sapient LSD trees, and I really didn't bat an eye.

edited April 2020
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »

I've always loved lizardfolk in D&D so 90% of my characters in morrobliviwind/eso have been argonians. As far as furries go, TES has integrated them extremely well into the story and 'feel' of the world.

I've been clearing out Vvardenfell and just got to a quest where a demon-cursed elf woman is being run out of town for daring to love a magically anthropomorphized lizard that worships sapient LSD trees, and I really didn't bat an eye.

I do enjoy the fact that there is an actual lore explanation as to why female Argonians and Khajit have breasts when it makes no sense.

For the Argonians, they were uplifted by the Hist to be their caretakers/protectors, with the trees basing them on the first humans and elves to show up in Black Marsh... and the Hist either did not know breasts served no purpose for egg-layers, or wanted to go as Man/Mer-like as possible, trying to make Argonians more relatable to the other races, while still keeping the lizard traits they wanted to preserve.

And for the Khajit, it is strongly suggested that they may be the descendants of Bosmer (based on their creation myth and the fact that the yet-unseen-since-Arena Ohmes khajitti are said to look just like wood elves) who rejected the idea of a single form by Y'ffre for one based on the phases of the moons, and the boobs on the more anthropomorphic furstocks are just a holdover from that.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    ALERT! ALERT!

They're doing an ESO+ free trial! no CC required! (Crowns and Crown store sales not included)

This is a great opportunity to enjoy a one-time clearing of all the mats clogging up your bank and inventory into the craft bag. Also worth noting that all guild progress and the skills they unlock remain even after you lose access to a DLC, so unlock that Thieves Guild line so you can open those troves you see everywhere now and forever!

steam_sig.png