As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wife's pencil drawing of Tifa

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
My wife has been trying to get back into doing artwork, which is something she did for the first time last year. I keep trying to tell her that her work is really good for someone with no experience and only watching a few art tutorials. Being the perfectionist that she is though, I'll she sees are the faults in her work. Of course, this means she's absolutely an artist, but I digress.

This is her pencil drawing of Tifa from FF7R.

k8tzg9j8exmq.jpg

She only spent a few hours on it. Having zero artistic talent, I think it's great, but I admit I'm biased. So how would the resident PA artists like to weigh in?

I'll probably share the feedback from her with her, so let's not go too harsh. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey @MNC Dover

One of the few rules left in the AC is that if you're making a thread for critique, it should be your own artwork. If your wife would like feedback, she should post! If your wife doesn't want/know if she's ready for feedback, I don't recommend pushing it out there for her.

Theres a lot of reasons, but I'll try to keep it short. The drawing is a great start, and she should for sure keep pursuing art if she'd like! There are tons of resources out there to help her improve. If she'd like to grind away at it, we can point her in the right direction.

Going down the road of getting critique and improving is not without emotional weight, and it's something that an artist should sign up for themselves. She's allowed to have art as just a hobby, and to not share her work, if thats what makes her feel comfortable.

If you're just looking for ways to encourage her, you might pick her up a copy of Art and Fear, which is a commonly recommended little book to help with all the doubts that come with creative pursuits.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Sorry, my bad Iruka. Won't happen again.

Thanks for the book info. I'll look into that.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    But also if your wife does want an art community, please do tell her that we love having new people around, especially people who are starting out on their art journey - I think this forum works best when we're all trying to grow together, rather than just dropping in with a portfolio update every few months.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Totally agree with Tynic, encourage your wife to post if that seems like it would be encouraging for her! The AC is generally not harsh in the way it was 10-15 years ago, and I think the people working on starting out get good guidance.

I just wanted to emphasize that getting surprised with feedback isn't usually a motivator, and its a lot easier to understand where someone else when they are speaking for themselves.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Echoing both Tynic and Iruka, and chiming in to add that if she's interested in learning to draw but feels a bit lost, I honestly cannot recommend Draw a Box enough. Even if she's not feeling ready to get critiques or put herself out into an art community.

When I first posted here I felt pretty overwhelmed with what I now recognize is excellent advice, but at the time felt completely incomprehensible. One of the strategies I was given was to break things down into shapes. This... felt impossible, because I wasn't even confident in drawing rudimentary shapes.

I'm still working through it, but I'd describe DAB as the 'remedial' drawing lesson course to be able to comprehend the more standard lessons which are often recommended around here.

The single most important lesson for me from DAB is learning how to become more comfortable with failure. You've gotta draw a lot of really shitty boxes to internalize how to draw one that feels solid to the viewer!

• Options
    ninjaj03ninjaj03 Registered User new member
    Critique is hard for new/young artists to give and take. Actually, now that I think about it, it's not just artists. It's hard for everyone. Dover, the Tifa drawing is a good start! Now it's time for you to put up a drawing ;]

Artist, Designer, Ninja. Say Hi!