As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me get Assassin's Creed Origin to work again!

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
I've had ACO since it released but I got a new gaming laptop with a small C drive and big I storage drive and now the game doesn't work. Apparently this is the fix:
Here's what had to be done: (windows 10, AC origins being installed on not C:\ drive)
1. Locate the "sounddata" folder inside the game installation folder. ("<programs folder>/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Assassin's Creed Origins/sounddata" probably)
2. Move "sounddata" folder to anywhere on your C:\ drive. (I moved it to "C:\Users\<my user>\Documents\AC origins\sounddata")
3. Remove the "sounddata" folder from the Assassin's Creed Origins installations folder, or rename it to something else. However we won't need this folder any longer so removing it won't hurt.
4. Open CMD in administration mode and navigate to the folder where you put the "sounddata" folder on the C:\ drive with:
cd "C:\Users\<my user>\Documents\AC origins"
5. Make a hard link syslink from the sounddata folder on C:\ to the Assassin's Creed Origins installation folder on your other drive with:
mklink /J "<programs folder>/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Assassin's Creed Origins/sounddata" "C:\Users\<my user>\Documents\AC origins\sounddata"
6. Start the game via Uplay as usual.

To use the "mklink" command in step 5. you may have to enable developer mode in system settings: settings > for developers > developer mode radiobutton

but everything from step 4 onwards completely flummoxes me. Is there an easier way to do this or a better step by step anywhere?

I could also move my installation files to the C drive but the drive is too small for this stupidly large game. The other option is to get a SSD that isn't a Windows Storage Space, whatever that is.

Help?

references:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/582160/discussions/0/1489992080501546578/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/582160/discussions/0/1483235412214825118/

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Open your start menu and start typing "CMD", then right click the "command prompt" application and run as administrator. Then in that window type:

cd "C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\AC origins"

and press enter, that's whatever the path is to the folder on C drive where you moved the sounddata folder to. Then type:

mklink /J "<programs folder>/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher/games/Assassin's Creed Origins/sounddata" "C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\AC origins\sounddata"

and press enter, where <programs folder> should be replaced with whatever the path is before the ubisoft folder on your other drive where it's installed. If the last step doesn't work, enable the developer mode like it says by opening the start menu, typing developer settings, opening that, and clicking that radio button down to developer mode. Switch that back to sideload mode after you're done, probably.

I'm not sure if the slashes in the first path in the last step are supposed to be backslashes or frontslashes, try it as written first then try using the other one if it doesn't work that way. It usually uses frontslashes in directory paths, but this is deeper windows command line arcana than I know very well so there might be a reason they're backslashes there, or that might be a mistake by whoever wrote this tutorial.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wow, thanks!

Is there a way to tell if an SSD isn't a windows storage space in case I give up on this? Or is that something I can just set myself on any SSD?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Nah, it doesn't work. There's something wrong with the directions or my stuff or something. I'll just buy the dumb thing on PSN instead.

Fucking Ubisoft. They've taken to banning anyone on the forums that asks about this and label it "spamming".

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I don't know what a Windows Storage Space is either, sorry. Search suggests it's a software-level storage redundancy system so it keeps 3 or more copies of all your data so it can tell if one of them gets corrupted and fix it? If you had your drive configured to be used like that I assume it would be 1/3 of its actual capacity due to the duplicate data.

BahamutZERO.gif