As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

This is pretty sad. I had a lot of hope for the new Razr. It's folding was, imo, really practical. Shame it's not working out very well, especially considering the price.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Diarmuid wrote: »

This is pretty sad. I had a lot of hope for the new Razr. It's folding was, imo, really practical. Shame it's not working out very well, especially considering the price.

I remember the original Moto RAZRs being unreliable too so.. kind of in keeping?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ok so I think I will be building a new pc with my stimulus money when I get it.

The only thing I'm sure about though is wanting a ryzen 3600 or 3600x, a 2060 super, 16 gigs of ram, and a 1tb m.2 ssd (am looking at the affordable Intel series ones)

I'm not sure what kind of motherboard to get though. Or how much psu wattage I need (I never knew how to figure that out.)

I'm also looking to get a new copy of windows and a new case (corsair carbide 275r) but I gotta try to keep it under the 1200 bucks if possible. Maybe I should go with a regular 2060 and ryzen 3600? I will be playing mainly in 1080p unless I stream to my oculus quest.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The go to budget AM4 board is the B450 Tomahawk, which was on Amazon for ~$75

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK

It's got less connectivity than the fancier boards, but if you don't need to plug in a bunch of stuff, it will run your 3600X perfectly.

V1m on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    There's really no reason to get the 3600X over the 3600, you'd be better off spending the difference in price on a better CPU cooler to get the most out of the 3600 via the built-in OC/optimization on AMD chips/motherboards.

https://youtu.be/rDV7aA6arVo

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    New iPhone is out. Looks like it's the same size/shape/screen as an iphone 8, still has fingerprint ID (not face id), still has bezels, still has one camera, but has the latest and fastest cpu/gpu, and is a fair bit cheaper than the other newer iphones.

I think this is finally time for me to upgrade; I still have an iphone 6 which has been doing fine for an awfully long time, but I suspect I'm exactly the target market for this, given they have a whole page about why you should upgrade from older phones.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Uriel wrote: »
    Ok so I think I will be building a new pc with my stimulus money when I get it.

The only thing I'm sure about though is wanting a ryzen 3600 or 3600x, a 2060 super, 16 gigs of ram, and a 1tb m.2 ssd (am looking at the affordable Intel series ones)

I'm not sure what kind of motherboard to get though. Or how much psu wattage I need (I never knew how to figure that out.)

I'm also looking to get a new copy of windows and a new case (corsair carbide 275r) but I gotta try to keep it under the 1200 bucks if possible. Maybe I should go with a regular 2060 and ryzen 3600? I will be playing mainly in 1080p unless I stream to my oculus quest.

A good brand PSU at around 600w should do you just fine. Get the 2060 Super, it's a big upgrade from the 2060, you'll see the difference even at 1080. Make sure you have a freesync/Gsync monitor though to take full advantage.

Research the most reliable SSD, I've heard rumblings about intel's quality but I'm not in that game right now so I don't know for sure. I know the Samsung EVO line still puts out a hell of a SSD though.

Here is a list I made on PC Parts picker, I took their midrange AMD build and subbed in a 2060 Super, added windows, and changed out the SSD to a 970 Evo. The CPU cooler is about $60, they didn't have any prices for that. Comes in at about $1275 without a monitor.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vkrDK4

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hrm yeah my moniter is an older dell model without any bells or whistles and fancy new moniter would put me well over budget.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Part of me admires that they're arrogant enough to do this.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many MKBHD will get and totally not talk about it? Ha.

sig.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Truly, industrial design for the ages

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Somebody posted a video of a band playing a song individually in their own houses and the singer had a rack-mount version of the new Mac Pro just sitting on his desk. I figure that's the way to go.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

Introducing the Apple US$799 Mac Pro Wheel Chocks

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I bought a Samsung Galaxy Watch with my stimulus money and this thing is awesome. I had a Gear S2 but even though I changed the battery twice, and reset it multiple times, it never lasted longer then a day. Even if I cut everything off except power saving mode. The battery in this thing is bananas though holy cow. I feel like this thing can do enough that it justifies the tech now. Plus it looks gorgeous and comes in a reasonable size (I got the 42mm). Just overall very impressed and happy.

And those fucking wheels prove once and for all that people in the cult of the Apple will buy anything no matter how overpriced if it comes from Apple. What the fuck?

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I loved the Galaxy Watch's battery life

I hated that even after a year, no one was making apps for the thing, besides the run-of-the-mill crapware that infests every Android-based app store

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Hey music folks, anyone got any advice for hooking guitars up to a PC properly? I’m assuming I should be doing more than just running line-in with a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter?

Veldrin on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hey music folks, anyone got any advice for hooking guitars up to a PC properly? I’m assuming I should be doing more than just running line-in with a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter?

Best thing to do is line in to an amp, then amp to line in on your PC.

You can go direct, if your guitar has a preamp (active), otherwise I think you need the amp functionality.

But I just play bass

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac

You can go direct, if your guitar has a preamp (active), otherwise I think you need the amp functionality.

But I just play bass

Ahh yeah unfortunately I’ve lost access to my bass amp for a few months, which is why I’m looking into this.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    There's really no reason to get the 3600X over the 3600, you'd be better off spending the difference in price on a better CPU cooler to get the most out of the 3600 via the built-in OC/optimization on AMD chips/motherboards.

https://youtu.be/rDV7aA6arVo

Well this is two months AFTER I bought a 3600X

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I go into an apogee duo which has everything you need hardware wise. I go into amplitube through pro tools

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    An apogee one, rather, which is much cheaper than a duo

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

But I just play bass

Ahh yeah unfortunately I’ve lost access to my bass amp for a few months, which is why I’m looking into this.

A Focusrite Scarlett Solo is likely the cheapest thing you're going to find. Apparently they're pretty good? I have zero personal experience but a music producer I follow on Youtube highly recommends Focusrite interfaces.

EDIT: Whoops uhh here's a video that guy just uploaded recently talking about cheap interfaces...

(be aware he can be a douchebag)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7A9jblOqZA

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh hey Logitech has a HackerOne bug bounty program. :thonk:

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Google is having a sale on Pixel 4s, so I picked one up for $500. Should be here by the end of the week. (hopefully,lol)

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Google is having a sale on Pixel 4s, so I picked one up for $500. Should be here by the end of the week. (hopefully,lol)

Not gonna lie, it's not the absolute best phone out there

But for the $500 I got it for, my Pixel 4 XL is pretty nice

it's just 100% not worth the price tag they try to sell it for normally

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Hence me waiting until it went on sale. After my Pixel 2 died a month after I got it, I said never again anything over $500. I also bought a case, so that upped it, but this was at the upper edge, and with my screen creeping away from my case, I don't know how long I could have waited. 4a may be announced in May, but who knows when it'd start shipping.

Should I be worried if I'm noticing short term burn-in happening a lot quicker on my monitor?

I'm seeing lighter colours hanging around for a while even after just 10-15 min lately.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Should I be worried if I'm noticing short term burn-in happening a lot quicker on my monitor?

I'm seeing lighter colours hanging around for a while even after just 10-15 min lately.

Depends on the monitor, are you using an OLED?

Brolo wrote: »

Nah, just standard LED - Samsung S24D590

Brolo wrote: »

Nah, just standard LED - Samsung S24D590

honestly at ~5 years old it really shouldn't be having that many issues, but it could be that you got a lemon

burn in sucks though and tends to accelerate over time, you can slow it down a bit with more aggressive screen-off time, but trying to run de-burn stuff like noise patterns has never really worked for me

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't like that I can't just buy a new Pixel XL for like...100 dollars.

I'm an old now, I don't need the newest hottest shit. My phone still does everything I need, it's just beat up and the battery is hurting.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited April 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »

I'm an old now, I don't need the newest hottest shit. My phone still does everything I need, it's just beat up and the battery is hurting.

yeah they don't let the prices of most known flagship phones go much below the $300 mark

instead everything in that price point is some low-spec samsung/lg/xioami shit with like two amazon reviews and you have no idea which model you're getting

and then it will come with like 128MB of RAM and the camera is like 240p quality

or you can and look through used phones and hope that the battery is still semi-decent

honestly if you wait a little bit for the 4a to drop, you can probably pick up a 3a for like $250 USD or so

Brolo on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how much I paid for this OnePlus 6T but it wasn't all that much and it's a solid phone, even for games

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, looks like my complete WhatsApp Chat history is gone.

Got a prompt that there was a problem and I could now or never try to restore. Which apparently didn't work.

Tried uninstall, reinstall with backup which should be from last month, but the only change is that all chats are now archived, still completely empty.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Secret trick for Win10.
    -Pop open an elevated Command Prompt and type in "winsat formal".

-After that is done, pop open PowerShell and type "Get-CimInstance Win32_WinSat".

Congratulations, you officially have a WEI score again. Other than D3D anyway, that's just 9.9 because they don't test that anymore. Now you'll be able to see what needs the most upgrading in your system! Congratulations, it's your favorite, an excuse to buy more tech.

sig.gif
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    CPUScore: 8.8
    DiskScore: 8.05
    GraphicsScore: 8.9
    MemoryScore: 8.8
    TimeTaken: MostRecentAssessment
    WinSATAssessmentState : 1
    WinSPRLevel: 8.05

Hrmmm, guess my 2012 build (with a 1070 replacing a 9800GTX+ in 2017) isn't bad.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »

I have an iPhone 7 Plus that was fine for me except the battery was crap so the phone was way less responsive and couldn’t last a day without constant charging. I bought a new battery on Amazon for $25 and took a couple of hours to learn how to swap it and do it. It made the phone like new. I don’t know how feasible it is to do on a Pixel XL but my prior is that apple makes this stuff harder than anyone else so it’s probably doable if you’re comfortable with small electric bits.

One of the reasons older phones feel so much slower is that when the battery starts to go, the OS will make sure not to use as much power when waking so it doesn’t pull as much current from the battery (or something, I’m oversimplifying here). So aside from just dying sooner and needing more charging, the phone feels way slower and less responsive because it’s actively slowing down at times so as not to make the battery problem even worse and shorten the battery life even more. this is generally a good thing, but it’s one of the reasons older phones feel so much slower. Replacing the battery fixes that.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    CPUScore: 9.3
    D3DScore: 9.9
    DiskScore: 8.15
    GraphicsScore: 9.3
    MemoryScore: 9.3
    WinSPRLevel: 8.15

I have a 1 tb nvme drive, and a 4 tb hard disk drive, so I'm guessing it's seeing the HDD as my primary drive causing that low score

This discussion has been closed.