As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movie] Thread where we STAY ALIVE

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2020 in Social Entropy++
I’m watching the 2006 horror masterpiece, Stay Alive so I’m making that the theme of the movie thread.

Starring Samaire Armstrong, Frankie Muniz, Adam Goldberg, Milo Ventimiglio, and Liam McPoyle, Stay Alive is about a horror video game and if you die in the game you die in REAL LIFE!

Critics said the following

“ Never has a title been more horribly at odds with the way you're actually going to feel while watching the movie.”

“...if the filmmakers could have dispensed with the actors and plot altogether, they might have had a better movie.”

“Implausibly tedious, Stay Alive has none of the vicarious thrills of, say, Konami's Silent Hill 2. It's barely even Pong unplugged.”

If you see only one movie that got a 10% on Rotten Tomatoes, you should make it Stay Alive.

Raijin Quickfoot on

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I just watched Alien: Covenant. Went in with low expectations and it met them exactly.
    Michael Fassbender was brilliant, and overall the movie was about 50% less stupid than Prometheus. I just wasn't sure what the point of it all was. "Hubris is fine if you're an android," maybe?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Stay Alive is a great movie. All timer right there.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Watched Bad Black last night and wow, what joy.

Ugandan action movie, made by a group of people that make these micromicromicromicro budget action flicks in the Ugandan ghetto. There's such joy and spirit and love of movie making in this thing. It's got effects about as good as any shitty SyFy/vod crappy monster movie but 100x the heart.

The whole thing is narrated/commented on by a VJ or video joker. When Western movies come to Uganda, they usually don't have subtitles, so there's someone who is designated the storyteller, which turned into the VJ. They comment on the action, are a hype man for the characters, talk shit, give additional dialogue...what a blast. There are so many movies I'd love to watch with this guy's commentary track.

It's got that scrappy vibe that you used to get from early Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson movies, nerds who love a specific kind of movie, have a tiny amount of money but a vast amount of talent and then they spend months or years in forrest shooting features that is mostly for them and their friends and you can just feel the love in every fiber of the movie. Bad Black is that kind of movie.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because at work someone has their Netflix account on it so the other day Rob Roy was on I had forgotten what an ass Tim Roth played in it and how at the end I was surprised it came out 25 years ago

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I just watched Alien: Covenant. Went in with low expectations and it met them exactly.
    Michael Fassbender was brilliant, and overall the movie was about 50% less stupid than Prometheus. I just wasn't sure what the point of it all was. "Hubris is fine if you're an android," maybe?
    Oh I'm not sure I'd agree that Covenant is less stupid. But yeah, Fassbender is the only good part of that heap of trash

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Alien Covenant is the best Alien movie

Tube wrote: »
    Alien Covenant is the best Alien movie

I still hold that that sentence is a crime of some sort

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Did the ending of Covenant come as a surprise to any living human? The least twisty twist I have seen in a long time.

edited April 2020
    I'll take it back once someone cites a scene in another Alien movie where someone teaches their twin android brother to play the flute erotically

Tube on
    edited April 2020
    I'll take it back once someone cites a scene in another Alien movie where someone teaches their twin android brother to play the flute erotically

Ah yes, classic Alien
    I do like that scene, it's just in the wrong movie

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I don't think Alien Covenant is the best Alien but I think it is good as hell.

I bang this drum a lot. But both it and Prometheus work very well as loveletters to different kinds of horror and sci-fi that inspired the original Alien and the Alien Clones that subsequently ripped it off. I don't know if that makes them effective in the narrative sense as prequels to Alien. But if fuckin rules as thematic arc.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    The true genius of late era Ridley Scott was realising that xenomorphs killing people is played out and pivoting to musical twincest.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Alien Covenant wasnt the worst thing to ever happen to me

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    The true genius of late era Ridley Scott was realising that xenomorphs killing people is played out and pivoting to musical twincest.

Honestly I think the big misstep of Alien Covenant is that it does pivot to xenomorph murder as the final act.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Why does Alien have to be about death

Why not make it about love, just for a minute

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just never bought into Scott's decision that the Alien franchise should now be about the origins of life and questions of humanity and god

I certainly disliked it very much but it didnt poison my bone marrow or anything

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

The only thing about Covenant that is faithful to the Alien franchise is that they got progressively worse after the first one. That's consistency!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Lmao at the idea that it’s worse than Prometheus

Or alien 3

Or 4

Eldery Guy Pearce doesnt get beaten to death with a Michael Fassbender head in a lot of movies you've got to give it that

Stopping to care after Aliens is the correct choice

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

literally roflmao imo

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you guys remember alien resurrection

it's got ron perlman in it

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    today I am watching Clue

Clue rules

6F32U1X.png
    I like Alien 3 more than most people, and like at least some scenes in Resurrection. Prometheus had neat visual design that is not from the Alien universe, annnnd that's about it. Fassbender stands out, sure, but no thanks

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Anyway, should I watch Verotika y/n

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

I remember Alien Ressurection extremely well because I watched it roughly eight million times because that was the only available film

The commander dude does a boot polish trick that I employed until my very last polished boot

I remember Alien Ressurection extremely well because I watched it roughly eight million times because that was the only available film

The commander dude does a boot polish trick that I employed until my very last polished boot

I like that dude and that character. I like that the whole op is run by a buffoon. That movie has such a weird vibe

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ridley Scott forgot his own message of the first film, which was that capitalism was the real monster.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FF44YvDVP8Y

That is better than Alien Covenant and takes significantly less time

el_vicio wrote: »

I like that dude and that character. I like that the whole op is run by a buffoon. That movie has such a weird vibe

the alien hybrid begging for death was extremely on brand for that movie

edited April 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ridley Scott forgot his own message of the first film, which was that capitalism was the real monster.
    I'm at the point where I'm not sure Scott ever understood what made his good movies good

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

PiptheFair wrote: »

the alien hybrid begging for death was extremely on brand for that movie

I love me some body horror. The Alien "child" could have worked, too, if they hadn't but that stupid wriggly nose on it imo. It still is kinda creepy

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=FF44YvDVP8Y

That is better than Alien Covenant and takes significantly less time

Sigourney Weaver is a legend.

Centipede Damascus on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Prometheus and Covenant work much better for me if I just ignore that they're trying to set them up as prequels to the Alien films.

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    I've never watched an Alien movie, but I have seen the Predator movies. Obviously I start with Alien vs Predator, right?

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    alien resurrection is the absolute worst film in the franchise

just terrible all around

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Anyway, should I watch Verotika y/n

Do you enjoy experiencing the dramatic acting talents of your average stripper? Do you think Tommy Wiseau is a brilliant filmmaker and actor? Do you enjoy the unintentional comedy of an utter lack of writing, directing, or editing skill? Then you might like Verotika.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
This discussion has been closed.