As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Newbie

BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
My Yamaha C40 classical guitar just arrived.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to guitar, and I haven't read music since trumpet in high school and the odd handbell gig at church now and then.

Are there any recommended (free?) tools/material to start off? I will progress to lessons at some point most likely, but that ain't happening with all this covid going on.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    justinguitar is a pretty great online resource!

https://www.justinguitar.com/

• Options
    Thanks

• Options
    Thanks again for the site, it's really nice. I can play two chords now if my huge fingertips don't mess them up! :D

• Options
    keep at it!

best mandolin player I ever knew had fingers bigger than mine (my fingers are like kielbasas sadly). He made it work!

• Options
    Up to 3, but I overdid it a few days I think. My fingers are killing me. Maybe classical wasn't the guitar to start with D:

• Options
    callouses will build!

but yeah, if they hurt, take a break =)

• Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It's difficult to give advice on playing without sitting in the room, but one very useful tip is to relaaaaaaaax.

I don't mean to sounds patronising, so apologies if this comes off that way.
    Many people will tense up when they're first learning to play because it's all new muscle movements, etc, but the best thing you can do is stay loose as much as possible.

Try fretting a single note on the Low E (thickest) string and sloooooowly release pressure until the note no longer sounds correctly.
    This is a good way to realise that you don't need nearly as much pressure to fret a note as you may think. Once you're aware of how little force you actually need, the guitar becomes much friendlier.

You've got a nylon-stringed guitar which is great for beginners because the strings aren't under much tension at all, and has a 'softer' feel overall.

edit: I just re-read your post and realised that you asked for free resources and not necessarily playing advice. Apologies.

In terms of online resources, I'd agree that Justin Guitar is pretty excellent. There are a billion and one guitar teachers on the internet and YouTube is an amazing place for this.
    I'd recommend someone like Paul Davids for very high quality videos. His stuff is very well presented and he's got a great temperament for teaching.

hemmelight on
  • Options
    Nah, it's all good.

I am fine with pressure until I'm trying to play a song on the app :D Then I get a little hectic and start pressing too hard.