As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

USPS mail hold question

IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
Pretty quick, but I cant seem to find an answer to this specific question:

Can I put a hold on my mail, pick up my mail (which cancels the hold), and then immediately place another hold on my mail?

Details are, our apartment complex had its outdoor mailbox busted open, and they've ordered a new one but have no date for getting a fix. The told us all to individually hold our mail, but I have a package of ramen that was going to be delivered on Friday. I wanna go get my ramen, and then put a new hold on it so we don't miss anything important.

Anyone done this? Is there a waiting period for the next hold?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You shouldn't have to cancel your hold mail order just to get a package. Just explain the situation to the clerk and they should get you your package without the mail order needing to be re-upped.

Even if they're a real stickler for the rules and feel like being a jerk for no reason, it's perfectly fine for you to immediately renew the mail hold. The mail isn't being held because you're on vacation or whatever, it's because you, through no fault of your own, cannot receive mail at your address currently.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cool, I've never really had to deal with something like this before, I was concerned it would all be automated and flag my address or something bureaucratic like that. Just hoping nothing is getting lost in the shuffle.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know how big your local post office is but if it's a mail hold then the person who sorts all the mail should just be putting all the mail that was going to go to you in a bin where held mail is gathered. Change of address and forwarding, that's when stuff can get lost in the shuffle.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I might be talking out my ass here, but seeing how mailboxes always have those "approved by the US Post Master general" marks on them, I'm guessing a postal worker is not allowed to deliver mail into an obviously broken mailbox?

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I might be talking out my ass here, but seeing how mailboxes always have those "approved by the US Post Master general" marks on them, I'm guessing a postal worker is not allowed to deliver mail into an obviously broken mailbox?
    It has to be really busted. A broken lock doesn’t qualify (most mail boxes don’t have locks).

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Unfortunately this looks like its going to be annoying. I activated the hold on the 21st, but I also signed up for text updates for packages so I could see where it got held. and this morning I woke up to a text that said "we're unable to deliver your package! We'll try again tomorrow." which is pretty silly considering they know the box is going to still be broken tomorrow.

Sent an email with my hold confirmation number and tracking number, so wish me luck I guess?

This discussion has been closed.