As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When you have to stay at home, it's time for [BAD FOOD]

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Have you considered having a designated bacon washcloth?

Save on the tp.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    What, because of what it's "supposed" to be used for? It's just paper, in a particular form factor and grade.
    I've been known to keep a roll, and/or a stack of assorted napkins from Subway and other food service, near my computer desk at home in place of a box of tissue (for sneezing, nose-blowing, glasses cleaning, etc).

If it really bothers you, be aware that you probably don't actually need to blot/soak up the grease from the bacon - just give the strips a good tap on the plate, after you heat them up, so it all transfers. Then wash the plate, I guess.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    This definitely feels like a low point for me.

I've added salt and ketchup to a plate of instant/microwavable white rice before just to add a little taste to it because I was too lazy and cheap to go buy anything at the store, but somehow, using toilet paper to microwave bacon with is...well, it's a new low.

Don't feel bad. Right now, using toilet paper to cook bacon is like putting gold leaf on a burger in the Before Times.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Peen wrote: »
    Yes, you certainly wouldn't want to counter the salt from the TWO CUPS OF BLOOD (WHICH IS QUITE A THING TO MENTION CASUALLY).

'Twas a carefully constructed joke, just in case anyone actually thinks I used 2 cups of pig's blood in my fried rice yesterday. Not that there's anything wrong with using blood in your cooking, as long as it is consensual.

I did indeed assume you had congealed pig’s blood, which goes great in soups, or some blood cakes, which are made with rice, which is tasty in all manner of dishes, including fried rice!

I did not imagine you had poured two cups of raw blood into your fried rice.
    sarukun wrote: »
    Yes, you certainly wouldn't want to counter the salt from the TWO CUPS OF BLOOD (WHICH IS QUITE A THING TO MENTION CASUALLY).

Your cultural bias is showing.

I'm fine with eating blood, it's cool, but nothing in the ingredients list until the blood made it seem like two whole cups would be the right amount. Like, if they said "I made a quick blood stew with some rice" that'd be different, but I'm having trouble seeing two cups of anything as a seasoning or accent .

Blood is neither a seasoning or an accent, it’s something to chew like steak or tofu.

Then I have been watching the wrong "what to do with blood" shows, which is the only way I see it as a product of a blood averse culture. How does that work? Do you get it already cooked somehow?
    See above, or better yet:

https://youtu.be/8ZrjiBK3Pxk

This is a night market treat made with rice and crusted with peanuts and cilantro.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    @sarukun Cool - I will watch that video at lunch.

Also, I did not mean to mislead. I was trying to make a slightly humorous comment, but I think your post about cultural bias is sound and the joke is insensitive.

To be honest, originally I was going to write "2 cups of human blood" but I felt that: (1) the "joke" would have been too obvious and (2) I'm pretty sure Jerry and Mike have had the feds watching this place ever since the Bungee incident and I didn't want to give them more data for my file. So I changed it to "pig" at the last minute with a vague thought that, hmm, actually some people here may actually use this as an ingredient in their cooking, but I ignored the thought.

I apologize if anyone now feels negatively about my comment as, joke or not, it specifically only works as a joke due to cultural biases. No one's food choices should be a punchline. Unless you are putting ketchup on steak.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I mean, to be fair, on Sunday I took a 12 dollar package of chopped meat and turned it into meatballs via my air fryer and ate them without pasta or anything else - just on a plate with salt and ketchup.

• Options
    These videos never fail to amuse me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKo2XvvTinM

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The UK has the black pudding and Germany has bloodwurst

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'm always curious when people mention eating blood because it's on my short list of things to try if I get the opportunity. I've seen it, in a North American context, in sausage (like a boudin noir) or as a thickener in a soup/stew, but not as much used by itself like that.

I do want to see someone make a vampire cooking show and make normal seeming recipes, until the end when they dump a gratuitous amount of blood in/on it. Feels like Sandra Lee could be involved, if there's a Food Network star that's a vampire she's my pick.

Peen on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Most of northern Europe have blood sausage-ish stuff, but in some/most places it has fallen out of use. I'll only ever see it at an occasional Christmas lunch, if anyone past a certain age has had a say in the menu.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Just take Paula Dean episodes and color-shift yellow to red.

Just dumping in stick after stick of congealed blood.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I didn't care that much for blood sausage as a kid, because it has a fairly mild flavour compared to something like a spicy pork sausage, but as I've grown older I've really fallen in love with it. It's like meaty bread, two good things that go well together!

Mmm. I think I'll buy some next time we escape quarantine to shop.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm going to delete my island so I can remake it and call it Crook's Nanny.

I'm gonna post in the wrong thread.

Drez on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    There was a gigantic Mexican market in Anaheim, CA, that me and my buddies would go to for things to cook on the grill (it was across the street from the 99 Ranch Market on Euclid, just south of the 91 freeway). Hmmm, looks like it's still there. 'El Super'.

They had a wide selection of sausages, and several of them were blood sausages. So Mexico has a blood sausage thing going on. The sausages ranged from "Weird, but interesting" to "Holy fuck, that's a good sausage". The blood sausages were often in the later category.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    THE BEST BURGER I'VE EVER MADE (v2.0) | SAM THE COOKING GUY 4K 22:24
    https://youtu.be/M7f-P6JaWSA

I'm gonna have to make some smash burgers this weekend.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    There was a gigantic Mexican market in Anaheim, CA, that me and my buddies would go to for things to cook on the grill (it was across the street from the 99 Ranch Market on Euclid, just south of the 91 freeway). Hmmm, looks like it's still there. 'El Super'.

They had a wide selection of sausages, and several of them were blood sausages. So Mexico has a blood sausage thing going on. The sausages ranged from "Weird, but interesting" to "Holy fuck, that's a good sausage". The blood sausages were often in the later category.

One of my earliest memories is throwing up a blood sausage. I was what? 3 years old at the time?

Anyway, I have since an aversion to "boudin noir", as the French call it.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I listened to a podcast about bread today and now I want to make some bread. Going to try and get a starter going. But that will take like a week and we're having stew this week so I also want to make some cheat bread with yeast to have with the stew.

Our yeast is probably pretty old and out of date, and Google says yeast expires and will stop being effective. But the guy on the podcast was the one who's made bread using 4000 year old yeast so I refuse to believe it can't be revived. I think I just need to rehydrate it but not sure how much water it needs.

Brovid Hasselsmof" there's a difference between live yeast and instant yeast and I think the thing with instant powdered yeast ageing is that in can indeed die off past the point of recovery. But I am not a yeast expert.

anyway the easy way to check for yeast condition is to put about a teaspoon in a bowl with a few table spoons of flour and half a cup of water, stir well, then leave it sit for an hour or so. If it gets bubbly then it's good to go, if it stays flat and boring then you got some dead yeast, poop.

This is good info, thanks. I actually found we have an unopened pot of yeast so today is bread day.

I think I might also try and start a starter anyway just for shits and giggles.

Maybe a dumb question but does using a starter always result in a sourdough? Because I only ever hear people talk about starters in reference to sourdough but logically people must have made all kinds of bread that way for most of history? Unless 'sourdough' is a broader term than I'm used to thinking.

• Options

Also, I did not mean to mislead. I was trying to make a slightly humorous comment, but I think your post about cultural bias is sound and the joke is insensitive.

To be honest, originally I was going to write "2 cups of human blood" but I felt that: (1) the "joke" would have been too obvious and (2) I'm pretty sure Jerry and Mike have had the feds watching this place ever since the Bungee incident and I didn't want to give them more data for my file. So I changed it to "pig" at the last minute with a vague thought that, hmm, actually some people here may actually use this as an ingredient in their cooking, but I ignored the thought.

I apologize if anyone now feels negatively about my comment as, joke or not, it specifically only works as a joke due to cultural biases. No one's food choices should be a punchline. Unless you are putting ketchup on steak.

No worries on my end, like I said, I just assumed you were using actual pig’s blood in your cooking and didn’t bat an eye... but I think the uniqueness of my life experience is pretty well documented at this point, and was trying to point out (pretty mildly, I thought, but in retrospect I could see it reading as hostile, for which I apologize, as this was not my intent at all) that it is a real thing people use in cooking all the time.

• Options
    I'm always curious when people mention eating blood because it's on my short list of things to try if I get the opportunity. I've seen it, in a North American context, in sausage (like a boudin noir) or as a thickener in a soup/stew, but not as much used by itself like that.

I do want to see someone make a vampire cooking show and make normal seeming recipes, until the end when they dump a gratuitous amount of blood in/on it. Feels like Sandra Lee could be involved, if there's a Food Network star that's a vampire she's my pick.

The blood cake in the video I linked is... stabilized? Fortified? with white rice, and has a very neutral flavor, which is why they gussy it up with peanuts and cilantro.

Congealed blood, duck or pig, that ends up in a lot of spicy soups out here, has a much stronger flavor, which is a little irony and to my mind tastes a lot like lean liver, but without the grainy, pasty texture that I don’t care too much for. It’s a good, solid protein that has a lot more punch to it than a lot of tofu varieties.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    Cheers. I will give that a go. And I normally take photos of our regular pizza to send to one of my mates (as is traditional) so I will report back.

Well it's in the fridge. I did a mix 3/4s of yours Uriel. And reduced the salt further, by your ratio I'd have been looking at 24g which seemed like a lot. So I decided on 15g initially, and on weighing it went with 10g in the end.

We shall see how it all turns out. Does it result in quite a sticky dough for you? Seemed like it took a fair bit of encouragement and scraping to get it out the mixing bowl into the fridge bowl. I've oiled that one at least so hopefully it won't stick to that. Ugh, now I have to wait till Friday! I want pizza now!

Well it seems to be bubbling away happily. The first shot is it ready for the fridge yesterday afternoon and the second is this morning. It was actually even puffier when I got it out but it collapsed a little. I probably should have left well enough alone but I wanted a photo. Back in the fridge now till tomorrow evening. I didn't poke it so no idea if it's any left sticky but I guess I just flour the counter liberally prior to rolling out and see how it goes.

b8hzjunl4g0y.jpg
    feltgpwelur7.jpg

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I listened to a podcast about bread today and now I want to make some bread. Going to try and get a starter going. But that will take like a week and we're having stew this week so I also want to make some cheat bread with yeast to have with the stew.

Our yeast is probably pretty old and out of date, and Google says yeast expires and will stop being effective. But the guy on the podcast was the one who's made bread using 4000 year old yeast so I refuse to believe it can't be revived. I think I just need to rehydrate it but not sure how much water it needs.

Brovid Hasselsmof" there's a difference between live yeast and instant yeast and I think the thing with instant powdered yeast ageing is that in can indeed die off past the point of recovery. But I am not a yeast expert.

anyway the easy way to check for yeast condition is to put about a teaspoon in a bowl with a few table spoons of flour and half a cup of water, stir well, then leave it sit for an hour or so. If it gets bubbly then it's good to go, if it stays flat and boring then you got some dead yeast, poop.

This is good info, thanks. I actually found we have an unopened pot of yeast so today is bread day.

I think I might also try and start a starter anyway just for shits and giggles.

Maybe a dumb question but does using a starter always result in a sourdough? Because I only ever hear people talk about starters in reference to sourdough but logically people must have made all kinds of bread that way for most of history? Unless 'sourdough' is a broader term than I'm used to thinking.

Basically, yeah. Your starter is going to be making a sourdough of some variety but you can minimize the sourness a bit by making sure you have a very vigorous starter culture that gets used, proofed and baked relatively quickly (traditional baguettes are made this way). A starter culture is a symbiotic relationship between your wild yeasts and lactic acid bacteria. Commercial yeast is farmed by culturing just the yeast spores that you want to grow in an otherwise sterile environment (very similar to beer brewing) and then dehydrating or preserving the live yeast in some way before shipping to the end user.

• Options

No worries on my end, like I said, I just assumed you were using actual pig’s blood in your cooking and didn’t bat an eye... but I think the uniqueness of my life experience is pretty well documented at this point, and was trying to point out (pretty mildly, I thought, but in retrospect I could see it reading as hostile, for which I apologize, as this was not my intent at all) that it is a real thing people use in cooking all the time.

It didn’t come across as even remotely hostile to me and I think you had a valid point regardless. My post was directed toward you, certainly, but it was also directed toward anyone else active or even lurking in/reading the thread. I should have been more sensitive and should have refrained from making that joke.

I think I want to make baked ziti next time I can get supplies from the store.

Actually, I DO have ziti rigati, about 7 oz of shredded mozzarella, ricotta, and pasta sauce now that I think about it. What else do I need?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If you can't make a joke about eating too much blood in the bad food thread then we're going to need another thread for bad food jokes and frankly that feels like a thread too far.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Guys, pasta carbonara is so good, but so bad.

It's so cheap and (kind of) easy for such good results that I just want to make it all the time. But it's like, fat on fat on carbs and I can't do that all the time. Life is hard.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bread

8xusipqd3fx2.jpg

It came out really dense, I don't think it rose properly. Not sure why. The yeast was a brand new unopened tin and I left it to rise for the time in the recipe. It also didn't go very brown, but the crust was sufficiently crunchy.

Along with my cake sinking the other day I thought maybe our oven isn't getting hot enough, but things like pizza and chips etc cook at the right speed so I'm not sure.

Help me bread friends.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    That is really, really blond, and still looks doughy in parts on the surface. How did you bake it?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What's the average ambient temperature in your house? Did you wake the yeast up before you put it in the dough?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Actually, I'll just share my favorite recipe with y'all. This carbonara recipe. Specifically, the second one, since I am a carbonara heathen and I like garlic.

It's almost infuriating that something that tasty can be done with just pasta, eggs, water, parmasean, and bacon.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    That is really, really blond, and still looks doughy in parts on the surface. How did you bake it?

I... put it in the oven. The surface looks raw but it wasn't, the crust was really solid.
    3clipse wrote: »
    What's the average ambient temperature in your house? Did you wake the yeast up before you put it in the dough?

Dunno. Not cold but not hot. The recipe didn't say anything about waking yeast up so no I didn't do whatever that is.

• Options
    When my bread comes out dense I immediately assume I over kneaded it

But that’s mostly because I don’t know ahit about bread and cannot imagine what the fuck else it could be.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I... put it in the oven. The surface looks raw but it wasn't, the crust was really solid.

Dunno. Not cold but not hot. The recipe didn't say anything about waking yeast up so no I didn't do whatever that is.

When you're making dough where you want a lot of rise with yeast instead of a starter, you'll often get better results if you add the yeast to a small amount (1/2 cup or less) of warm water for 30-60 minutes to get the yeast into a more active state.

• Options
    Ok cool, thanks, I will try that next time.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Did you put it on a baking sheet? A loaf pan? A dutch oven? Was your cooking vessel pre-heated in the oven beforehand? There are a lot of steps that create variables in bread baking, so there's a lot of details needed to provide any real assistance.

• Options
    I baked it on a tray (I guess that's what you mean by baking sheet). The oven was pre-heated but the tray wasn't. I also put a dish of water in the bottom of the oven because I read something about steam being good for bread.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

It's so cheap and (kind of) easy for such good results that I just want to make it all the time. But it's like, fat on fat on carbs and I can't do that all the time. Life is hard.

I don't know if I would call carbonara "so cheap"

It relies on bacon or some other fatty cured pork product, which is expensive compared to other meats, and also parmesan cheese.

Now if you really want cheap pasta, get a load of
    Aglio e Olio
    . Pasta, oil, garlic, salt. Sometimes parsley and or red pepper flakes. That is a bowl of delicious food for next to nothing.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    man you can get bacon for like three or four bucks a pound

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    man you can get bacon for like three or four bucks a pound

some places

around here it's more like $6 min. on up to $10

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

I don't know if I would call carbonara "so cheap"

It relies on bacon or some other fatty cured pork product, which is expensive compared to other meats, and also parmesan cheese.

Now if you really want cheap pasta, get a load of
    Aglio e Olio
    . Pasta, oil, garlic, salt. Sometimes parsley and or red pepper flakes. That is a bowl of delicious food for next to nothing.

This really relies on the pasta being very high quality though. If you're not making it yourself at home, you're going to want to buy the nicest pasta you can, which is typically one of the pricier brands. Still, even accounting for that it does end up a very cheap meal.

This discussion has been closed.