As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When you have to stay at home, it's time for [BAD FOOD]

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I baked it on a tray (I guess that's what you mean by baking sheet). The oven was pre-heated but the tray wasn't. I also put a dish of water in the bottom of the oven because I read something about steam being good for bread.

Steam is good for bread, but not all ovens are designed to keep steam in them (I think yours in the UK is much more likely to do that, though), but that will only work if you had the water dish in the oven for a very long time, as it takes a long time to heat water that way. If you poured it into the dish straight from the kettle, that might be fine though! But it looks like it didn't work. When I bake a loaf, I typically spritz some water into the dutch oven right before I close the lid, which does a great job of trapping steam, which helps form a nice, golden, bubbly crust.

Honestly it looks like the main variable you could change is upping the heat and/or increasing the bake time. But if you ate it and liked it, there's nothing to adjust, really. Bake your bread the way you like it!

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It certainly is a Wonder that bread ever bakes properly.

I need to try my Instant Pot bread again. Keeps coming out too doughy which the fact that it's basically steamed is understandable but think it's still not quite right.

MichaelLC on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I baked it on a tray (I guess that's what you mean by baking sheet). The oven was pre-heated but the tray wasn't. I also put a dish of water in the bottom of the oven because I read something about steam being good for bread.

Steam is good for bread, but not all ovens are designed to keep steam in them (I think yours in the UK is much more likely to do that, though), but that will only work if you had the water dish in the oven for a very long time, as it takes a long time to heat water that way. If you poured it into the dish straight from the kettle, that might be fine though! But it looks like it didn't work. When I bake a loaf, I typically spritz some water into the dutch oven right before I close the lid, which does a great job of trapping steam, which helps form a nice, golden, bubbly crust.

Honestly it looks like the main variable you could change is upping the heat and/or increasing the bake time. But if you ate it and liked it, there's nothing to adjust, really. Bake your bread the way you like it!

I liked the crust. The inside though was too dense and heavy. I just don't think it came out the way it was supposed to, but I'm not sure why.

I'll try prepping the yeast next time.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

I liked the crust. The inside though was too dense and heavy. I just don't think it came out the way it was supposed to, but I'm not sure why.

Could need more yeast, could need more time to rise, could have been kneaded too much.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yes I know the various things that can go wrong with bread but that doesn't help me know what went wrong with this bread

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also I've had bread come out perfect but without a golden brown crust. When that happens I hit it with a couple minutes of broil and that browns it up nicely.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Also I've had bread come out perfect but without a golden brown crust. When that happens I hit it with a couple minutes of broil and that browns it up nicely.

Especially if you brush it with a bit of butter beforehand this makes some incredibly attractive breads.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Yes I know the various things that can go wrong with bread but that doesn't help me know what went wrong with this bread

Did you pay off the bread fairies before baking?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

You can also keep a metal pan on the bottom rack during the preheating process and toss a handful of ice cubes in there! The water evaporates as soon as it melts off the ice, so it's a good way to have a steady supply of steam. Especially good if you've got a gas oven that doesn't hold steam well.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

Did you pay off the bread fairies before baking?

I tried, I just don't know where to get that many toddler bones.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Try pizza, instead.

Enlong on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof could you show us what a slice looks like on the inside? That could offer some clues about what happened.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Guys, pasta carbonara is so good, but so bad.

It's so cheap and (kind of) easy for such good results that I just want to make it all the time. But it's like, fat on fat on carbs and I can't do that all the time. Life is hard.

I don't know if I would call carbonara "so cheap"

It relies on bacon or some other fatty cured pork product, which is expensive compared to other meats, and also parmesan cheese.

Now if you really want cheap pasta, get a load of
    Aglio e Olio
    . Pasta, oil, garlic, salt. Sometimes parsley and or red pepper flakes. That is a bowl of delicious food for next to nothing.

This really relies on the pasta being very high quality though. If you're not making it yourself at home, you're going to want to buy the nicest pasta you can, which is typically one of the pricier brands. Still, even accounting for that it does end up a very cheap meal.

As far as I'm concerned there is zero difference between artisinal 12 dollar deli pasta and no name pasta that is a buck a kilo

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It's so cheap and (kind of) easy for such good results that I just want to make it all the time. But it's like, fat on fat on carbs and I can't do that all the time. Life is hard.

It relies on bacon or some other fatty cured pork product, which is expensive compared to other meats, and also parmesan cheese.

Aglio e Olio
    . Pasta, oil, garlic, salt. Sometimes parsley and or red pepper flakes. That is a bowl of delicious food for next to nothing.

This really relies on the pasta being very high quality though. If you're not making it yourself at home, you're going to want to buy the nicest pasta you can, which is typically one of the pricier brands. Still, even accounting for that it does end up a very cheap meal.

As far as I'm concerned there is zero difference between artisinal 12 dollar deli pasta and no name pasta that is a buck a kilo

There absolutely is, though. Texture and flavour vary wildly between different qualities of pasta.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Anyway here's a piece of bread making kit that just arrived today I'm super excited to use

lnnrxbb64a6e.jpg

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I'm sure this is just exposing my ignorance, but it looks like a box.
    ...were you able to keep the box it came in and get 2 for 1?

That's a much more reasonable size for a Pullman pan. My bread book called for an 18-inch pan in the recipe and I didn't really think about what that meant until it arrived and I started turning out giant foot-and-a-half loaves of perfectly square bread.

GDdCWMm.jpg

Aglio e Olio

There absolutely is, though. Texture and flavour vary wildly between different qualities of pasta.

JKLA has talked about the difference between bronze cut and regular-style pasta and how the difference isn't so much about cost or quality, but you want one for some dishes and the other for different dishes. Bronze cut leaves slightly rougher textures on the outside of the pasta, which leaves more surface area for starches to leach out from, so it makes a starchier pasta water and a starchier noodle exterior so it grips sauces better. Much more useful for thinner sauces.

I can't remember what he said the other one was good for. Mac and cheese or something?

Jedoc wrote: »
    That's a much more reasonable size for a Pullman pan. My bread book called for an 18-inch pan in the recipe and I didn't really think about what that meant until it arrived and I started turning out giant foot-and-a-half loaves of perfectly square bread.

This one is 4x4x13

I'm actually a little disappointed in the size now that it's arrived. I was hoping to make those massive square sandwich milk breads you get at Japanese grocery stores. Those ones are more like 5.5x5.5

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    made some decent whole wheat bread today from a Cooks Illustrated recipe, and some Instant Pot tomato soup to go with the grilled cheese I made with the bread

I'm tired

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm bitter about Schlotzkys. There used to be one directly across the street from my apartment that I enjoyed frequently, then one day with no announcement it closed and the next day it was open as a new store called "Andy's Deli", but all Ol' Andy did was string a banner across the Schlotzky's sign. Besides that, the building had mostly the same livery and furniture inside, and instead of changing the drive-through board he just printed out the new menu on regular computer paper and taped it on top of the old menu. By the time I moved away, months later, Andy STILL had not taken down the Schlotzky's sign underneath the banner.
    Also I tried a salad there once and the lettuce was wilty and the whole thing was kinda flavorless so I didn't go back.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2020
    Your annual reminder that in Australia calling baked goods by the wrong name can get you a prison term.
    Applications for Anzac biscuits are normally approved provided the product generally conforms to the traditional recipe and shape, and are referred to as 'Anzac Biscuits' or 'Anzac Slice'. Referring to these products as 'Anzac Cookies' is generally not approved, due to the non-Australian overtones.

Penalties for the misuse of the word 'Anzac'

For serious breaches of the Act, a penalty of up to 12-months' imprisonment may apply. Under the Crimes Act 1914, a penalty of up to $10,200 for a natural person and $51,000 for a body corporate may be imposed by the Court, instead of imprisonment.

tynic on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Your annual reminder that in Australia calling baked goods by the wrong name can get you a prison term.
    Applications for Anzac biscuits are normally approved provided the product generally conforms to the traditional recipe and shape, and are referred to as 'Anzac Biscuits' or 'Anzac Slice'. Referring to these products as 'Anzac Cookies' is generally not approved, due to the non-Australian overtones.

For serious breaches of the Act, a penalty of up to 12-months' imprisonment may apply. Under the Crimes Act 1914, a penalty of up to $10,200 for a natural person and $51,000 for a body corporate may be imposed by the Court, instead of imprisonment.

When I was in elementary school I spent some time in the library one day looking through a book of funny or unusual laws. Thus I did discover that it was illegal to fry more than 100 donuts in a single day in the town I lived in.

I don't know what the penalty was for doing so. And I can find no current reference to such a law now. But at the time my whole class got a lot of laughs out of the idea of somebody going to jail for frying too many donuts in one day.

edited April 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »

You can also keep a metal pan on the bottom rack during the preheating process and toss a handful of ice cubes in there! The water evaporates as soon as it melts off the ice, so it's a good way to have a steady supply of steam. Especially good if you've got a gas oven that doesn't hold steam well.

This is actually what I did, and then topped it up with water after it had gone dry. I was wondering if the ice cubes could have affected the temperature of the oven and that was what was wrong but if you're suggesting it I guess not.
    Peen wrote: »
    "Brovid Hasselsmof" could you show us what a slice looks like on the inside? That could offer some clues about what happened.

It all got eaten, so no. It looked like bread but with virtually no bubbles/holes.

The more I think on it the more I reckon the yeast was the problem. We're finishing off the stew today so I'm going to bake another loaf and see if it comes out better.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

When I was in elementary school I spent some time in the library one day looking through a book of funny or unusual laws. Thus I did discover that it was illegal to fry more than 100 donuts in a single day in the town I lived in.

I don't know what the penalty was for doing so. And I can find no current reference to such a law now. But at the time my whole class got a lot of laughs out of the idea of somebody going to jail for frying too many donuts in one day.

At a guess, sounds like someone tried to open a bakery/run one out of their home, and someone else had the power and motive to shut them down.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I'd say to get the Gillotine ready for that Delivery person.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Bread attempt number 2. Put the yeast in warm water for a bit beforehand and have now left the dough to rise in the sun outside because maybe our kitchen is too cool on account of being a dingy granite cave.

When kneading it the dough was a lot stickier than yesterday which is either a good thing or a bad thing, obviously I presume a bad thing.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Or not, because the delivery person likely couldn't even see the items in the bag, most restaurants are sealing them these days. At most you can count the number of items and make sure it matches. They're not supposed to open the food to check that it's right.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Absolutely not. That's straight up just an un-cut bun with nothing in it, to see that the delivery person would have had to unwrap the order. You do not want the delivery person unwrapping your order.

They should call the restaurant and text pictures to the manager, if the restaurant doesn't suck they will send them out another meal free of charge and a voucher for a free meal in future.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

What do you think the jello is made out of?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

What do you think the jello is made out of?

The other parts of a pig.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited April 2020
    Bread 2.0
    hmuy0va8vpm2.jpg

It definitely rose more than yesterday, prior to going in the oven, and then barely rose at all while baking. It still doesn't look quite right, it's a bit more brown but again I left it in for an extra 10-15 minutes. It's still pretty dense and chewy. Really nice crust though.

This is really frustrating, it's such a simple process and I dunno what I am doing wrong.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    bread baking is definitely fickle and nuanced

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    That crust looks pretty good.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yeast-risen breads rise barely, if at all, in the oven (to the extent they do, it's the air trapped in the bread expanding), because the yeast rapidly die in the oven and stop producing gas. Baked goods that rise in the oven do so with chemical leavening agents that are more active under heat (baking powder, baking soda).

How long a proof (and at what temperature) did you do once the yeast was in the dough?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I remember someone from another thread over in D&D was complaining about the stores being out of the right type of flour for making bread, and was having a similar rising issue as you are smof. But you probably know way more than I do about any of this, so that probably doesn't help much.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.