As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Play what you like is always my suggestion. I'll never be a min/max player.

That said, all...7?... chars of mine are Argonian or Khajiit.

I've always loved lizardfolk in D&D so 90% of my characters in morrobliviwind/eso have been argonians. As far as furries go, TES has integrated them extremely well into the story and 'feel' of the world.

I've been clearing out Vvardenfell and just got to a quest where a demon-cursed elf woman is being run out of town for daring to love a magically anthropomorphized lizard that worships sapient LSD trees, and I really didn't bat an eye.

I do enjoy the fact that there is an actual lore explanation as to why female Argonians and Khajit have breasts when it makes no sense.

For the Argonians, they were uplifted by the Hist to be their caretakers/protectors, with the trees basing them on the first humans and elves to show up in Black Marsh... and the Hist either did not know breasts served no purpose for egg-layers, or wanted to go as Man/Mer-like as possible, trying to make Argonians more relatable to the other races, while still keeping the lizard traits they wanted to preserve.

And for the Khajit, it is strongly suggested that they may be the descendants of Bosmer (based on their creation myth and the fact that the yet-unseen-since-Arena Ohmes khajitti are said to look just like wood elves) who rejected the idea of a single form by Y'ffre for one based on the phases of the moons, and the boobs on the more anthropomorphic furstocks are just a holdover from that.

How have I never heard this? Can you source it? Would come in handy for a discussion I've had with a friend a few times...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    BTW everyone, I'm trying to level jewelry crafting and it is some *slow goddamn going*, so please feel free to chuck any and all trash jewelry you have into the Ash Housewares bank for me to eat for experience. Thanks.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Play what you like is always my suggestion. I'll never be a min/max player.

That said, all...7?... chars of mine are Argonian or Khajiit.

I've always loved lizardfolk in D&D so 90% of my characters in morrobliviwind/eso have been argonians. As far as furries go, TES has integrated them extremely well into the story and 'feel' of the world.

I've been clearing out Vvardenfell and just got to a quest where a demon-cursed elf woman is being run out of town for daring to love a magically anthropomorphized lizard that worships sapient LSD trees, and I really didn't bat an eye.

I do enjoy the fact that there is an actual lore explanation as to why female Argonians and Khajit have breasts when it makes no sense.

For the Argonians, they were uplifted by the Hist to be their caretakers/protectors, with the trees basing them on the first humans and elves to show up in Black Marsh... and the Hist either did not know breasts served no purpose for egg-layers, or wanted to go as Man/Mer-like as possible, trying to make Argonians more relatable to the other races, while still keeping the lizard traits they wanted to preserve.

And for the Khajit, it is strongly suggested that they may be the descendants of Bosmer (based on their creation myth and the fact that the yet-unseen-since-Arena Ohmes khajitti are said to look just like wood elves) who rejected the idea of a single form by Y'ffre for one based on the phases of the moons, and the boobs on the more anthropomorphic furstocks are just a holdover from that.

How have I never heard this? Can you source it? Would come in handy for a discussion I've had with a friend a few times...

For the Argonians: Scaly Steeds of Black Marsh mentions the myth of how Argonians were created.

For the Khajiit, we have Words of Clan Mother Ahnissi, which has been around since Morrowind. Mixed Unit Tactics mentions the "man-like" Ohmes and Ohmes-raht, though the physical Pocket Guide of the Empire that was bundled with TOS:Redguard and Oblivion states that they resemble elves.

Granted, neither of them say "and this is why they have breasts" but both have men/mer (or at least proto-mer) as playing a part in their creation.

So it *might* be me just reading too much into it, but the mad geniuses who came up with most of the Elder Scrolls lore encourage that sort of thing, so I wouldn't be suprised if there is a post or two by them coyly comfirming those things.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    oh shit remember how I was complaining about ESO Plus? Well, it IS free this week. time to speedrun Southern Elsweyr while I can.

BTW everyone, I'm trying to level jewelry crafting and it is some *slow goddamn going*, so please feel free to chuck any and all trash jewelry you have into the Ash Housewares bank for me to eat for experience. Thanks.

I've pretty much given up trying to craft my way through it and just go with daily writs and deconstruction.

The Ashlander dailies at Vvardenfell always have a blue or purple quality ring in their bag, far as I can tell, which make them pretty good to break down for mats, and they're usually pretty quick.

steam_sig.png

I've pretty much given up trying to craft my way through it and just go with daily writs and deconstruction.

The Ashlander dailies at Vvardenfell always have a blue or purple quality ring in their bag, far as I can tell, which make them pretty good to break down for mats, and they're usually pretty quick.

last time I tried that the rings were like "Haha you can't decon these V:" Has that changed?

last time I tried that the rings were like "Haha you can't decon these V:" Has that changed?

I haven't run into a single piece of gear the game won't let me tear appart for SCIENCE!, so I guess so.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2020
    I definitely have some jewelry the game won't let me deconstruct.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    I definitely have some jewelry the game won't let me deconstruct.

Did you get it before Summerset released? UESP says that you can't deconstruct jewelry from before the xpac launched, only use it for research.

steam_sig.png
    Anyway, what level of material are you on Seraph? If it's electrum I could probably dump all that I have and still have enough for writs when I get to that ranking myself.

Also, PSA, I've been dumping any duplicate recipes and craft styles I get to the Ash bank (would probably split it between that an Pax if I wasn't still a recruit in the latter) so if you want/need something like that, check out the guild bank before spending money at a trader.

steam_sig.png
    Anyway, what level of material are you on Seraph? If it's electrum I could probably dump all that I have and still have enough for writs when I get to that ranking myself.

Also, PSA, I've been dumping any duplicate recipes and craft styles I get to the Ash bank (would probably split it between that an Pax if I wasn't still a recruit in the latter) so if you want/need something like that, check out the guild bank before spending money at a trader.

Oh, oops. I'll try to remember to fix that tonight.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Deconstruction really does seem like the fastest way to level crafting...and the fastest, though not most exciting, way I've found to get stuff for deconstruction are dolmens. I go grind dolmens for 30 minutes and my inventory is full of gear of all types to break down. If I really focused on it I bet I could get most of my deconstructable crafting skills to 50 relatively quickly that way.

Specifically in the case of Jewelcrafting you're guaranteed a jewelry piece from the chest of a completed dolmen (not to mention any loose jewelry drops you get). In a zone like Auridon where the three dolmens are right next to wayshrines you can get a loop going that fills your inventory really fast.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling

Silver, unfortunately. Though speedrunning the Dragonhold quests while ESO+ is free has been helping a bit. Still unlikely to hit the next tier until then.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So, I’ve been getting more into this, just hit 50 and grinding up those CP.

I really like how flexible character building is in this.

But also

I really hate how flexible character building is in this. Healers and tanks that have no skills set for either in random dungeons, people making baffling choices for weapon/armour combos, and just plain weird shit.

I've just gotten enough logins for the free gloomspire (preview) crate.

I have... conflicted feelings about the way they're done. On one hand, lootboxes are terrible things that I genuinely think need to be regulated... but on the other, the character who shows up when you open them just nails the "Khajiit street hustler" so well I can't help but be somewhat amused by the whole thing... which is then followed by, "are they poking fun at themselves in sorta light hearted but really black comedy way, or is that the whole point to lure me in?" And the feels go round and round and round.

steam_sig.png
    I've just gotten enough logins for the free gloomspire (preview) crate.

I have... conflicted feelings about the way they're done. On one hand, lootboxes are terrible things that I genuinely think need to be regulated... but on the other, the character who shows up when you open them just nails the "Khajiit street hustler" so well I can't help but be somewhat amused by the whole thing... which is then followed by, "are they poking fun at themselves in sorta light hearted but really black comedy way, or is that the whole point to lure me in?" And the feels go round and round and round.

Fukin Pacrooti, that charming rascal.

Norgoth wrote: »
    So, I’ve been getting more into this, just hit 50 and grinding up those CP.

I really like how flexible character building is in this.

But also

I really hate how flexible character building is in this. Healers and tanks that have no skills set for either in random dungeons, people making baffling choices for weapon/armour combos, and just plain weird shit.

Yes, hi, I'm in this post and I don't like it. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Trying to get normal Scalebreaker dungeons done so I can finish unlocking Hall of the Lunar Champion before the ESO+ trial runs out, and jfc, Lair of Maarselock is *way* too long. Apparently most DLC dungeons are like this, just endless freaking slogs of nonsense? what?

However, apparently, I am a decent tank, which might be because I actually put skills for that set on my bars and am using equipment for the purpose thereof :\

I think the issue comes not so much from "too much choice" as it is not aware that class skills aren't nearly as important as they think they are to most builds.

steam_sig.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    If I could have only one single thing added in the next chapter, even at full price, it would be a non-stave magicka weapon.

1h+focus or rune or whatever you want to call the off-hand.

A 'bound weapons' line.

Whatever.

Or add a ton of hybrid morphs to existing lines that scale with the lower of the two stats, or their average, or their combined total but with weak multipliers, or something.

Kamar wrote: »
    If I could have only one single thing added in the next chapter, even at full price, it would be a non-stave magicka weapon.

1h+focus or rune or whatever you want to call the off-hand.

A 'bound weapons' line.

Whatever.

Or add a ton of hybrid morphs to existing lines that scale with the lower of the two stats, or their average, or their combined total but with weak multipliers, or something.

There are a handful of abilities where the damage scales to the highest stat, regardless of whether it's a magicka or stamina ability.

But I'm guessing you mean more of a "reason to not put no less than 95% of your attribute points into a single stat" type of thing.

steam_sig.png
    I would *love* for there to be a viable/meaningful way to build a hybrid character. So boring having every level-up be "yep, put that point in stamina, of course"...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited April 2020
    Finally tried tanking even though my tank doesn't quite have all the gear she needs, because I wanted to finish Hall of the Lunar Champion and I didn't want to wait 500 years for a fake tank and fake healer. And uh.

Why does nobody tank in this game?

is it because it's kinda boring? it's like. not that hard? I'd say it's way easier than DPS that's for sure. You just kinda go around and poke the guys that look dangerous, and then you cast your buffs (which buff your pals) and some debuffs when they run out and that's basically it?

Might see if I can't speedrun the normal mode of the other DLC only dungeons before my sub trial runs out for funsies.

*edit* honest to god they should just remove the point allocation system for stats entirely and just let you pick Health, Stamina, or Magicka as your primary stat and call it a day.

Lucid_Seraph on
    edited April 2020
    Finally tried tanking even though my tank doesn't quite have all the gear she needs, because I wanted to finish Hall of the Lunar Champion and I didn't want to wait 500 years for a fake tank and fake healer. And uh.

Why does nobody tank in this game?

is it because it's kinda boring? it's like. not that hard? I'd say it's way easier than DPS that's for sure. You just kinda go around and poke the guys that look dangerous, and then you cast your buffs (which buff your pals) and some debuffs when they run out and that's basically it?

Might see if I can't speedrun the normal mode of the other DLC only dungeons before my sub trial runs out for funsies.

*edit* honest to god they should just remove the point allocation system for stats entirely and just let you pick Health, Stamina, or Magicka as your primary stat and call it a day.

Usually it's because tank (and healer) builds are very boring to play outside of dungeons. Since your dps is lower than usual, mobs take forever (like, the time it takes you to whittle down 2-3 mobs in a group, a dps build with decent AoE would take down 2-3 entire groups forever). And while in ESO you could theoretically have the skills to still make a decent solo build you can play when questing without compromising your tankiness, that would probably means grinding out more skill points than I suspect the average player is willing to do. SWTOR is the only MMO I've played where running around in a tank or healer build solo was fun, and that was in thanks to you having NPC companions who could support you with extra DPS.

Also, tanking can very quickly become not boring if the dps can't manage their aggro (at least, in other MMOs which usually have cooldowns on taunting abilities) hence the stereotype of people who main tank being assholes who demand absolute perfection from the rest of the party or they'll start throwing a fit. I tend to enjoy those types of runs as the tank though, as long as it doesn't result in failure.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Can't decide whether to I want to keep maining my magplar, as I always have, or switch to my necro, now that it's 50 (and geared better than my templar? I guess I haven't messed with her equipment in a while, oops).

Necro can do anything well and gets unique dialogue.

Hungry Scythe is no Puncturing Sweep, though. And I mainlined all the main stories for each zone but didn't do much side questing so I'll be a little bummed if some obscure side character shows up and doesn't know my necro.

None of the templar abilities look dumb like skull hadoken or the boney back brace, but none look as cool as the cooler necro abilities either.

some of these DLC dungeons are way too long. Like, Unhallowed Grave is probably the most interesting/creative dungeon they've done so far (it has a whole secret set of bosses! they try to make movement mechanics interesting!) but holy hell is it also a slog.

Can't decide whether to I want to keep maining my magplar, as I always have, or switch to my necro, now that it's 50 (and geared better than my templar? I guess I haven't messed with her equipment in a while, oops).

Hungry Scythe is no Puncturing Sweep, though. And I mainlined all the main stories for each zone but didn't do much side questing so I'll be a little bummed if some obscure side character shows up and doesn't know my necro.

None of the templar abilities look dumb like skull hadoken or the boney back brace, but none look as cool as the cooler necro abilities either.

IIRC the most important "could miss if you don't sidequest" NPC is found in the Balmora questline in Vvardenfell, which needs to be done in Summerset. There is also a khajiit in an Orsinium sidequest that also shows up in a Southern Elsweyr sidequest which only makes sense if you do them in that order.

Pretty much every other NPC that I'm aware of (either from my own experience or spoiling myself) are all in quests that could be called "the ongoing adventures of X" and some even have unique dialog for their "first time" meets that will acknowledge that it isn't actually your first time meeting.

steam_sig.png

IIRC the most important "could miss if you don't sidequest" NPC is found in the Balmora questline in Vvardenfell, which needs to be done in Summerset. There is also a khajiit in an Orsinium sidequest that also shows up in a Southern Elsweyr sidequest which only makes sense if you do them in that order.

Pretty much every other NPC that I'm aware of (either from my own experience or spoiling myself) are all in quests that could be called "the ongoing adventures of X" and some even have unique dialog for their "first time" meets that will acknowledge that it isn't actually your first time meeting.

Yeah, I'm probably overvaluing the callbacks for whatever reason. Knowing that my templar has cleared most of the story content in the game and will get all the callback dialogue is just kinda nice.

...now I'm wondering how the quest with Raz in Elsweyr plays out if you're a stranger, because the whole tone of that feels dependent on you already knowing who he is. Unless it just timey-wimeys it and he recognizes you even though you don't recognize him.

Yeah, I'm probably overvaluing the callbacks for whatever reason. Knowing that my templar has cleared most of the story content in the game and will get all the callback dialogue is just kinda nice.

...now I'm wondering how the quest with Raz in Elsweyr plays out if you're a stranger, because the whole tone of that feels dependent on you already knowing who he is. Unless it just timey-wimeys it and he recognizes you even though you don't recognize him.

UESP has some info on that, looks like he has some specific lines for first time encounters, otherwise it seems mostly cutting out any references to previous events.

steam_sig.png
    Huh, I'm like a minute into Southern Elsweyr and it already feels better than Elsweyr did.

Not a high bar, to be fair, since Elsweyr is probably the least interesting DLC/Chapter zone yet outside of lore stuff. It just felt like a more polished Aldmeri Dominion zone.

...huh. I was going to rank questing content but realized I never finished Murkmire, I did like the first quest or two then dropped off the game for a while.

Still. Making no judgments about dungeons or trials or contributions to the meta since I have no clue about that, something like...

Clockwork City

Summerset
    Morrowwind

Wrothgar

Elsweyr
    Rivenspire
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ebonheart Pact

Coldharbour
    Assassin's Guild (don't care for being a murdercrazy but it's well put together)
    Imperial City (alright story, kind of a pain though)
    Thieves Guild

Craglorn? (I literally cannot remember anything about Craglorn)

the rest of Daggerfall Covenant

Huh, I'm like a minute into Southern Elsweyr and it already feels better than Elsweyr did.

Not a high bar, to be fair, since Elsweyr is probably the least interesting DLC/Chapter zone yet outside of lore stuff. It just felt like a more polished Aldmeri Dominion zone.

...huh. I was going to rank questing content but realized I never finished Murkmire, I did like the first quest or two then dropped off the game for a while.

Still. Making no judgments about dungeons or trials or contributions to the meta since I have no clue about that, something like...

Clockwork City

Summerset
    Morrowwind

Wrothgar

Elsweyr
    Rivenspire
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ebonheart Pact

Coldharbour
    Assassin's Guild (don't care for being a murdercrazy but it's well put together)
    Imperial City (alright story, kind of a pain though)
    Thieves Guild

Craglorn? (I literally cannot remember anything about Craglorn)

the rest of Daggerfall Covenant

Mmmostly agree, but I'd put Thieves Guild above Clockwork City, just because the quests actually made me give a damn about my little cadre of idiots, and Morrowind above Summerset, because high elves are bastards.

Southern Elsweyr is really good, it'll probably end up in that Summerset/Morrowind cluster for me.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    peter stormare did voice work????

why was I not informed earlier

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    peter stormare did voice work????

why was I not informed earlier

He did work in ESO? I thought Until Dawn was his only game-work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ddn4K1n0fI

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    he's the king of windhelm

also he was in prison break the game

PiptheFair on
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    So I played this for a bit and then fell off the wagon but am looking at it again. I've been playing Fallout and wondered if there were tangible benefits to making an nice house in ESO. Are there utilities you can put there that make crafting or some other aspect of the game easier? Is it just all cosmetic?

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    So I played this for a bit and then fell off the wagon but am looking at it again. I've been playing Fallout and wondered if there were tangible benefits to making an nice house in ESO. Are there utilities you can put there that make crafting or some other aspect of the game easier? Is it just all cosmetic?

When you max out your levels of a crafting profession, you can get Master Writs, which give you currency which you can then use to buy the crafting stations as furniture in the game. This is all in-game though, and I don't know if there's any way to purchase any such things with real money. And I think that's good, it just takes a long time.

edited April 2020
    Dr. Face wrote: »

When you max out your levels of a crafting profession, you can get Master Writs, which give you currency which you can then use to buy the crafting stations as furniture in the game. This is all in-game though, and I don't know if there's any way to purchase any such things with real money. And I think that's good, it just takes a long time.

There are also storage chests you can place in homes, which won't show up in banks or crafting, which can be useful if you are trying make sure you don't deconstruct/research gear on the wrong character. Plus you can put the same chest in multiple homes, and each will have access to the same loot. You get one leveling up, and you can get the rest either from master writs like the crafting stations or with Tel Var stones from the Imperial city, as well as crowns.

And I think you can buy the regular crafting station furnishing with crowns, but the attunable ones AFAIK (which can be set to craft any craftable set by traveling to where it's crafted in the open world) are only earned via master writs.

Also, note that smaller homes might not be capable of holding all the chests and crafting stations at once, at least without ESO+ (though unsubbing from plus won't remove or disable them, just make all the furniture in your home unmovable until you get rid of what's over the cap) believe the smallest that can hold all chests w/o sub are the "Classic" homes that go from about 200-300k gold.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2020
    I genuinely hate trying to weave the Psijic spammable.

Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I can never make myself tough it out.

It's also somehow even lamer aesthetically than the destro spammable.

I'll just jab all day like an asshole even on single target. Wish I had a dummy so I could see how much that actually loses me.

edit: I do literally 4x the DPS single target with sweeps+la that I do with EW+LA, because I end up off-tempo and thus don't LA at all. Maybe not the skill for me.

Kamar on
    edited April 2020
    I genuinely hate trying to weave the Psijic spammable.

Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I can never make myself tough it out.

It's also somehow being even lamer aesthetically than the destro spammable.

I'll just jab all day like an asshole even on single target. Wish I had a dummy so I could see how much that actually loses me.

edit: I do literally 4x the DPS single target with sweeps+la that I do with EW+LA, because I end up off-tempo and thus don't LA at all. Maybe not the skill for me.

See, if you want a cool spammable as a DPS, you need to be a Magicka Dragonknight. Then you get to whip it good, with a whip literally made out of magic lava, and then one of the morphs lets you do a cool backflip if the target is Off-Balance (which heals you)

*edit* also Mag DPS DK has technically THREE whole spammables, where you can breathe fire, or thwap a dude with burning fire claws (that heal you), or just whip it good.

Anyway, the login servers in NA are apparently crazy today, so stuff is doing down for maint shortly (as of 7:20 PM EST)

Lucid_Seraph on