As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever used cotija before--I should keep an eye out for it

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Taco fixin's is a pretty short list, no? Garlic, cilantro, cumin, cotija, tortillas, meat of choice, and then everything else is just extra. I like a little rice and lime and black beans for mine, but I know some people put vegetables in their tacos? Like, a taco isn't a salad!

Tacos are pizza, put whatever you want in it and lay off people eating what they like.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Some hits an misses on this one. I mostly wish I had started earlier in the day.

wdGAfyWl.jpg

Cooking Club Week 14: French Onion Soup https://imgur.com/a/Oc6ARhn

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips, Doodmann! I'm a light toaster so I'll be sure to toast heavy

signature.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I also went with that recipe, though my onions were more of a light gold caramelization.

ZwjWOm6.jpg?1

Turned out very well! It seemed like a lot of cheese to be shredded, but it was necessary to get that really serious gooeyness.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The nice thing about quarantine is that time is meaningless, so when it takes you >60 minutes to caramelize your onions you're thankful for the occupied time, instead of furious.

process pics:

Before

w5lgqawb4osk.jpg

After many tears

o2qy8fxqzglc.jpg

30 minutes in

k9kgws8o6a4k.jpg

60 minutes in

lyzzx8hiqtar.jpg

OK let's just simmer this already

eb076mq0c1e9.jpg

The final product

zzeprqjcnp60.jpg

Verdict: The French have a few good ideas with regard to what to do with an onion.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Could somebody say exactly where they set "medium low" for cooking their onions, and what they cooked it with? I had about an hour at 3/10 with butter, and then an hour at 4/10 with a splash of sherry and olive oil to fry it a little, and still only got lightly gold instead of golden brown.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    milski wrote: »
    Could somebody say exactly where they set "medium low" for cooking their onions, and what they cooked it with? I had about an hour at 3/10 with butter, and then an hour at 4/10 with a splash of sherry and olive oil to fry it a little, and still only got lightly gold instead of golden brown.

I can't speak as to your experience, but I found that our chief problem was agitating the onions too often. Once we let them sit for 2.5-3.5 minutes between agitations so we could scrape the crispy bits off the bottom of the dutch oven with our wooden spatula, the browning started going a lot faster

We had ours sitting at 4/10, if it matters

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I was at 3/10 with little stirring and in hind sight I should have been at 5/10 and worried I’d burn them.

I like to ART
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I went something like

3/10 with olive oil for 25 minutes

add some butter, a little sugar

5/10 for 25 minutes

add some flour, salt and a little more sugar

7/10 for 10-15 minutes

before the onions appeared to be ready for the stock and other spices, then another half hour of simmering before it was really ready for showtime

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Don't you have to add salt to onions to caramelize them? Onions have a ton of water in them, and salt draws the water out.

• Options
    uae92subyscp.png

I doubled the Serious Eats recipe, which I think was why the browning took so long. That and sweet onions have a lot more salt than yellow (I used a 50/50 mix)

Very delicious. The amount of cheese called for is a LOT - managed to do six bowls for the amount they called for four bowls. But then again, if you wanted a super super cheesy top I can see why

signature.png
  • Options
    The best part about the Serious Eats recipe is the recommendation to do two slices of bread to make kind of a soup-sandwich instead of just the one slice of bread. It stops the bowl from turning into the big pile of cheese you eat all at once and then a cup of cheeseless soup.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Welp, my mix of effort and dirtbag cooking continues. I "rehydrated" the last of my turkey leftover with it's gravy and a bunch of taco seasoning, made roasted tomatillo salsa Verde and tortillas from scratch.

JDsNakNl.jpg

Home made tortillas are delicious and dangerously easy.

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Posted taco recipes!

Please feel free to suggest your own taco variations, this is another dish where I am by no means even remotely experienced

edit: Great job, Doodmann! :D Those tortillas look fabulous! Can you share with us your tortilla recipe?

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ohh man I know I'm late but I have a craving for good french onion soup. Also were doing burritos this week anyway, which is basically a taco.

I have two ways I like to make the meat, not sure which one were doing yet.

Citrus Chicken:
    2 Chicken breasts
    2 cups Orange Juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    As much garlic as you want
    2 tablespoons either lime juice or apple cider vinegar (I do one of each because why not)
    Salt and Pepper to taste/preference
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    if you want some zest feel free to add a packet of taco seasoning, but my wife hates it so we don't, you can also add about 1/4th cup of pineapple juice if you life, but my wife is allergic to pineapple so we skip it.

Marinade over night, Cook in the oven. Shred, enjoy!

Enchilada Chicken:
    2 chicken breasts
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1 jar your preferred salsa
    1 can enchilada sauce, color of what you prefer
    For kick add chili powder or taco seasoning.

Toss in the slow cooker on low for about 8 hours until the chicken falls apart

Also in a pinch, Aldi sells a precooked Carnitas that you just reheat in some water on the stove thats actually pretty good!

• Options
    Do y'all make their own tortillas? I've been vaguely wanting a tortilla press but I've always been vaguely suspecting that you don't need one to make them

signature.png
  • Options
    Here is the tortilla recipe I used: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-tortillas/

I like to ART
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I make homemade corn tortillas, but they always end up splitting

but since they taste great and I usually just use them for enchiladas anyway, I don't lose much sleep over it

• Options
    Doing French Onion in the instant pot today. Sadly the stores are still pretty lean on beef broth. All I could get is fat free low sodium. Bah, should still be alright.

• Options
    Made french onion today. Thought I messed up the onions carmelization but they turned out great. I do 1 red, 1 white and 1 yellow onion. Turned out a little more wine tasting then I like. I did 1 cup to 6 cups broth so maybe a half cup next time

http://imgur.com/a/mPR7tjC

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    holy shit this taco spice mix i made is way way way hotter than i like

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    oh tacos i can actually participate in this one maybe, though i dont have much due to avoiding the grocery store like the plague so all i gots are stuff for breakfast tacos

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mother.

Fuckin’.

TACOS.

(Probably can’t cook this week, working all day Saturday.) :(

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So I'm pretty pedestrian when it comes to tacos. I like the Old El Paso mix. But the store didn't have any, so I find a quick recipe online and made my own.

Or so I thought.

This was much much much hotter than expected. I ended up having to mix in sour cream, cheese, and then cream cheese to get it edible for myself. Ended up more of a queso dip than tacos.

We serve our taco meat over white rice. And I'm mixing some of the leftovers into my Mac and cheese today for lunch.

• Options
    CronoColaCronoCola Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Do y'all make their own tortillas? I've been vaguely wanting a tortilla press but I've always been vaguely suspecting that you don't need one to make them

We got a tortilla press a few years back and go through waves of using it vs. not bothering to make our own tortillas.

Whenever we do put in the effort and make them, they are delicious and amp up the tacos considerably. The press makes it super easy to make roughly uniform, circular tortillas. It takes a bit of time to make a batch of them but it's always worth it and I'll probably end up doing it now that I've been reminded of its existence!

Bonus - Tortilla presses are also great for preparing empanada dough.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Tonight: tacos.

mpu5ims3ljkm.png
    dudbxkrftphr.png
    6gvdy3stgdkn.png

Godspeed, ingredients. We will meet again in 6-8 hours when you have become delicious taco meat.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Is that basically barbacoa?

Unrelated, I am HYPED for lemon bars next week.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Yup! Barring some unforeseen slow-cooker disaster, it should turn out to be barbacoa.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I'm several weeks late, but I have done the Crusty Bread

Cross posting from the Cooking thread
    https://imgur.com/a/MScBKTt

She's out of the oven! I have to wait for her to cool before cutting, but I"m hopeful!

1z500dwjofad.jpg

• Options
    o72m89qb96ss.png

Ah, yes. That certainly looks like barbacoa to me.

tzvyvmbjch3o.png

Yup.

04xkkc75pbav.png

Now time to enjoy some delicious soft tacos.
    hww3tdyaydnb.png

JUST KIDDING, MOTHERFUCKERS! NOW IT'S TIME FOR THINGS TO GET CRUNCHY!

dccmrbd8ibau.png

WOO!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    dang it, I keep forgetting to take pictures!

• Options
    Breakfast tacos! Maybe not authentic but it was nice and relaxing to make

25om66d14et8.png

Also: Yes, I'm glad you're excited for lemon/jam bars, Doodmann! The Serious Eats lemon bar is aaaaaaaaaaces and I can't recommend it enough

signature.png
  • Options
  • Options
    How many lemons do I need to get tomorrow

• Options
    Fuuuuuuuuuuck

• Options
    @lonelyahava about 7-8 lemons!

signature.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I made some pretty basic tacos with store-bought seasoning and tortillas. I did make my own slapdash salsa though.

vj4RfD5.jpg

• Options
    Were constructing our burritos right now and I discovered a great use for old rice.

I took about 3 cups of leftover white rice, added like 3/4 a cup of the salsa/sauce/pepper liquid from the crock pot, and about a cup of water with a dash of chili powder and I made some half decent spanish rice.

Maybe add some taco seasoning or more chili next time, but for a random "I'll toss stuff together" recipe, its not bad at all

• Options
    Burritos! Special shout out to a good local salsa and my favorite hot sauce

http://imgur.com/a/VunW50Z