As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Sam Rockwell will probably be back for a Thunderbolts movie. At least I hope so.

• Options
    TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    We've been rewatching the movies in order, one a week. Because quarantine. Quick thoughts, especially as this is the first time Ive watched them since Endgame and viewing them so close together.

Iron Man - still great, holds up.

Iron Man 2 - Better than I remember. The villains are well portrayed, if not deeply written. SHIELD stuff is fun. The electro whips are pretty awesome. Final battle is good mayhem.

Thor - Worse than I remember. Like, a lot worse. The only character thats interesting is Loki. Thor, his BFFs, Jane and her BFFs (okay, Kat is okayish) and Hawkeye are various shades of bland. The third act is jumbled trash deeply in need of help. Devastator doesnt look good at all. Whats more...

Captain America: The First Avenger - ...makes Thor an even worse movie when viewed back to back. Captain, Peggy, Bucky and Tommy Lee Jones all pop in a way that no one in Thor really does. By the time Steve gets to bootcamp Im already way more invested in them than whatever nonsense Thor is up to. Rest of the movie is a solid view. Skulls car is the coolest. But evil.

The Avengers - Still good but not AS GOOD as seeing it in the theaters. Maybe its because I know better Avengers stuff is in the pipeline or because Ive seen this movie more than most of them so some of the jokes dont hit hard anymore. Still cant believe they got away with that mewling line. Still get chills during the Avengers coming together scene.

Iron Man 3 - I always rather liked this one anyway. Going back it really lays the foundation for who Tony becomes by Endgame, so thats cool. Villain is probably the worst in Iron Man movies. What kills the burning dudes seems super arbitrary. The final fight should be a complete mess, but it ends up working really well for me.

Thor 2 - Basically more Thor trash. Loki continues to be fantastic, but otherwise I think this was the first time I was actively bored during a rewatch film. Probably the most wasted actor/villain combo? Does Eccleston even get 10 words? My overwhelming emotion at the end was relief that we got through it.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Did you skip Incredible Hulk on purpose?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Baby Groot was important to the story and to several character arcs in GOTG2. Yes he was cute but he was absolutely not just fan service and not even remotely on the same plane as BB-8 (or, even worse, Babu Frik).

The film was about parenthood and abuse and narcissism and putting others before yourself. These are all things that make a literal child character, and its interactions with others, key reflections of the movie's themes.

I got enough of those themes from Quill's and Rocket's interactions with Yondu, Quill's interactions with Ego, and Gamora's interactions with Nebula.

My memories of Baby Groot's contributions to the film are him: wandering around doing "cute baby stuff" during the opening fight, getting abused by Yondu's crew, spending a couple minutes repeatedly getting the wrong item Rocket and Yondu were asking for, and completely failing to understand which button to press on a bomb before eventually carrying that bomb where it needed to go and pressing the right button on the bomb. I guess I must've missed him tying into the key themes. I guess patiently, repeatedly explaining something to a baby shows the difference? It was nothing but tedious for me, though.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Personally if I had to cut down to the plot essentials going into IW/Endgame

Iron Man
    Iron Man 2
    Captain America: First Avenger
    Avengers
    Thor: Dark World
    Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Captain America: Civil War
    Dr Strange
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Ant Man and the Wasp
    Captain Marvel
    Avengers: Endgame

Cap FA, Avengers, Dark World, GotG, Ultron, and Dr Strange for establishing the Stones.

Ant Man and the Wasp for setting up Quantum Realm.

The rest all just introduce the key characters and state of the world going into IW and Endgame.

Spider Man and Black Panther are both introduced enough in Civil War that you could skip their solo films going into it (same with Ant Man honestly). Hulk and Thor are better established in later films. Gotg2 had the Nebula/Gamora stuff but that gets established in the other movies too.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'd personally skip Captain Marvel. It's not great and you really don't need to know anything about her since literally all she does is act as a deus ex machina.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think increasingly the average Marvel moviegoer is going to have to be okay with encountering characters for the first time in somebody else's movie and just rolling with it. They probably know about the existence of the movie and that they missed that origin story. But the expectation that the viewer has seen all of it, even the "mandatory" stuff, is increasingly unrealistic.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Have I seen any Iron Man movie? Nope. Does the MCU still make sense? Yep. It's not really a problem, at least not yet. Yeah you'll miss the in jokes, references and such but the plot still tracks.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Have I seen any Iron Man movie? Nope. Does the MCU still make sense? Yep. It's not really a problem, at least not yet. Yeah you'll miss the in jokes, references and such but the plot still tracks.

Well, especially now, lol.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'll never understand the hate for Thor 2.

The bad guy was boring, I'll give you that. Other than that, the movie is full of great stuff.

Darcy was great.
    Thor & Loki's relationship was further explored and was also great.
    The portal battle was awesome.
    Many of the humor bits were great, like the hammer constantly having to turn around to get to Thor since he was going through different portals.
    Frigga was also great.

It's definitely not he best of the MCU, but it was still fun to watch.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

The bad guy was boring, I'll give you that. Other than that, the movie is full of great stuff.

Darcy was great.
    Many of the humor bits were great, like the hammer constantly having to turn around to get to Thor since he was going through different portals.
    Frigga was also great.

Also Heimdall takes on spaceships with a sword and wins and it's awesome

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Darcy was great.
    Frigga was also great.

Also Heimdall takes on spaceships with a sword and wins and it's awesome

It is awesome, which makes it a little jarring that the rest of Asgard's army gets completely fucking housed. And it sure seems like it's because they haven't made any kind of technological progress since the last war against the dark elves 5,000 years ago. Maybe time has skewed my memory but I'm not sure a single dark elf was harmed by anyone other than Asgard's champion units.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Darcy was great.
    Frigga was also great.

That's the thing about the MCU. The worst movies are still more enjoyable than a lot of the drek out there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    thor 2 was kind of forgettable is its greatest sin. like, people talk about it being bad but i just don't remember much at all from it.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'd personally skip Captain Marvel. It's not great and you really don't need to know anything about her since literally all she does is act as a deus ex machina.

And there it is.

Its so much more than that, Carol Danvers coming into her own as a super, was for real, one of the best movies I watched with my kid, the theme of being true to oneself being healthy despite everyone who is trying to mess with your mind was strong on so many levels. Straight up gonna just have to go agree to disagree that you don't need to know anything about her, that's just so amazingly dismissive of the context of where her determination, not just the power set, that gives Thanos worry comes from that its no wonder you think she is just a deus ex machina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMulkV_CELw

Its more than just a throw away line for some of us.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Thanos wasn't worried because she's determined, he was beating several equally-determined heroes into a pulp

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I didn't see Captain Marvel till after I saw Endgame.

I had no problem following or understanding who Carol Danvers was at all...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Like, you need to watch Doctor Strange to get an full understanding of who Stephen Strange is but if you just watch Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War, you probably get a good enough grasp on his character to follow the story.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    You should watch Dr Strange because the ending is fucking awesome.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

And there it is.

Its so much more than that, Carol Danvers coming into her own as a super, was for real, one of the best movies I watched with my kid, the theme of being true to oneself being healthy despite everyone who is trying to mess with your mind was strong on so many levels. Straight up gonna just have to go agree to disagree that you don't need to know anything about her, that's just so amazingly dismissive of the context of where her determination, not just the power set, that gives Thanos worry comes from that its no wonder you think she is just a deus ex machina.

Its more than just a throw away line for some of us.

It's fantastic that it moves you on a cultural/identity(there may be a better term? Not trying to be insensitive) level. And I wouldn’t want to diminish that in any way.

Similarly, Black Panther was a touchstone for the black community, about putting black identity to the forefront (rather than sidekicks to Stark, Rogers and Odinson).

But the question was about what's necessary, plot/thematic wise to understand End Game. And I don’t think Marvel makes the cut, not if you want to trim the movie count down below half (and if you're not going to do that, just let the whole run play, still my preference).

As @Zonugal said, they were able to watch EG without having seen CM, and the plot/theme was still followable. If the original poster was intrigued, they could go back and watch it.

But skipping it for the sake of brevity shouldn't be seen as a slight to the community for who it inspires.

MorganV on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Realistically speaking, you could probably just go with the Avengers movies, GotG and call it a day. Sure, you'll miss out on some stuff, but there's enough there....maybe Thor 2 as well. I don't feel like the rest are strictly necessary.

Now, unfortunately, IMO the Avengers films are pretty fucking mediocre. And Thor 2, while I enjoy it, is also pretty mediocre. Yeah, there's a bunch of characterization you'll miss out on, but that's true so long as you're cutting any nontrivial number of movies.

But once we start adding the other movies in, it becomes a matter of taste and what is important to you.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Civil War is the real Avengers 2

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    All movies are about taste and preference. Strictly speaking, none of the predecessor MCU films are necessary to watch in order to enjoy any of the ensemble movies.

Where you draw the line is entirely up to you, and even if you were to engage in the exercise for the purpose of recommending to others which films are "necessary" viewing, you have to take into consideration that person's tastes and preferences.

• Options
    Civil War is the real Avengers 2

I kind of think of it as an Avengers movie so...yeah

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Having sat with the same audience in a theater for the entirety of phase one, Iron Man 2 slays in terms of comedy.

No other phase 1 film even comes close to how funny it is.

Is GotG part of phase 2? Otherwise this was not my experience whatsoever

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Having sat with the same audience in a theater for the entirety of phase one, Iron Man 2 slays in terms of comedy.

No other phase 1 film even comes close to how funny it is.

Is GotG part of phase 2? Otherwise this was not my experience whatsoever

Yes, GotG is phase 2. It came out between Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Thanos wasn't worried because she's determined, he was beating several equally-determined heroes into a pulp

Yes, he was.

It was almost a direct shot to when Captain America also gave him a surprise holding his hand open in Infinity War. Right down to Thanos using his other hand as the counter.

That's one other hero that came close to pulling off what she did, she was pushing him back, Captain America just held him in place.

What are the other heroes that surprised Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet on? Scarlet Witch? Iron Man? Several being on Carol's level of determination is a stretch.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I was never a fan of Carol Danvers in the comics, but the movie made me a fan of her. I liked her heroes journey and theme of discovering herself. Certainly not one of the worst Marvel movies IMO. Also, I liked the 90s callbacks having grown up in the 90s myself.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Zavian wrote: »
    I was never a fan of Carol Danvers in the comics, but the movie made me a fan of her. I liked her heroes journey and theme of discovering herself. Certainly not one of the worst Marvel movies IMO. Also, I liked the 90s callbacks having grown up in the 90s myself.

I wish they were less in your face about it. Just let it be in the background. Hell, seeing all those old cars was plenty of throwback.

edit: and I never read the comics; all I knew about her was Rogue's origin in the 90s X-men TV series. Thanks to the movie, I'm a fan of her. She seems like a more interesting Superman.

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

I wish they were less in your face about it. Just let it be in the background. Hell, seeing all those old cars was plenty of throwback.

At least they didn’t have a Limp Bizkit song

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

That's more turn of the century to be fair, but fingers crossed for the sequel!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

I now want to see her power up fight be to "Nookie" instead

it wouldn't be good, but it would be funny

• Options
    My brother raised a stink about one of the songs in the movie having been initially released several years after the movie take splace.

I countered with that's how it happened in our universe, but apparently not the Marvel universe.

• Options
    OMG ITS SO UNREALISTIC

because demigods and superheroes are totally realistic

get outta here

• Options
    OMG ITS SO UNREALISTIC

because demigods and superheroes are totally realistic

get outta here

angry comic book fanboys have now converged with angry movie fanboys; instead of letters to the editor, they now take to reddit, the world is doomed

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I thought that Captain Marvel was okay between Infinity War and Endgame, but Captain Marvel worked the best when watched in chronological (as in, between Captain America and Iron Man) order.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

edit: and I never read the comics; all I knew about her was Rogue's origin in the 90s X-men TV series. Thanks to the movie, I'm a fan of her. She seems like a more interesting Superman.

Ditto. Admittedly I'm not a fan of most comics centered around action. Not saying that they can't be good they're just not my preference.

Her movie though, where I love action, won me over. I'll probably never be a huge fan of the comics any more than Iron Man's or Thor's, but god damn if I won't show up day one to see Carol Danvers punch things.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Yes, he was.

It was almost a direct shot to when Captain America also gave him a surprise holding his hand open in Infinity War. Right down to Thanos using his other hand as the counter.

That's one other hero that came close to pulling off what she did, she was pushing him back, Captain America just held him in place.

What are the other heroes that surprised Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet on? Scarlet Witch? Iron Man? Several being on Carol's level of determination is a stretch.

I'm pretty sure that he was worried because she a): trivially blew up his ship and b): got hit multiple times while he was using the Gauntlet and not only didn't care but didn't actually move. Thanos objectively does not give a fuck about how determined you are: "I am inevitable."

Turns out fighting knock-off Superman is cause for concern, regardless of whether or not she's not particularly invested.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Yeah, the only two opponents he actually breaks a sweat for are Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel. Everyone else--even a literal demigod--he just powers on through.

• Options
    Due to this thread I'm watching Iron Man 2 tonight.

You're all welcome.

All of you.

History will vindicate not only me but this movie!!!

This discussion has been closed.