As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battletech] New KS - 23 Mar!

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Even in 40k, where, lore wise, you've got tanks that are centuries old, titans that have literally millennia of service walking through the most extreme war zones that can be imagined, and battle armor that's been handed down through the Space Marine chapters since the Emperor walked the fields of battle, and they all look the same. The landraiders that are rolling off production lines "today" look the same as the ones that have been in service for centuries.

Edit: To clarify, I realize there are in universe reasons for human tech never changing. But it still bugs me.

A 40K Rogue Trader era Land Raider looks substantially different from the ones on the shelves now. In many cases, but not all, they've retconned old models as different patterns or historical artifacts -- it looks like the original one, with completely uncovered treads, is now the Land Raider Proteus, while the current ones are the Land Raider Phobos. I think Space Marine powered armor has more variants than anything else in the game, although that's more for background reasons than because of new models in real life. But they've gone out of their way to differentiate the ones that have been handed down for millennia.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Well, decided on a fairly basic paint scheme for my Capellan OpFor. Capellan-ish green and black with a splash of color to identify the lance/company. Straightforward and easy to paint for me. I like it.
    q9U5SNu.jpg

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    Buddy: “How do you reconcile the fact that models of the same Mech can look so wildly different. It’d bug me.”

Me: “Easy, a 2000 Chevy Silverado looks very different from a 2020 Silverado.”

Edit- to expand.

My head canon for why models of the same Mech look different (whether official or 3rd party) is because visual tastes change over the decades or that different manufacturers take their own spin on things to make it “theirs”.

I add in the fact that there's also different factories, on different planets, in different States, making different models, and weapons. So you get some subtle variations there as well, that when combined together in a 2-story tall robot, results in some still small but noticeable if ultimately irrelevant differences.

Speaking of subtle differences...

l4rurdoduwc5.jpgh9fd4a6a58np.jpg

I gotta be honest I really wish we had a 'mech more like the Japanese Hunchback. Like, that should have been the Hollander's design. Offset cockpit due to GIANT GUN

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge fan of the new hunchback model. It's just not chunky enough

kx3klFE.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Ummm, what? Have you compared this against the existing model? The current CGL/IWM sculpt is practically a runway fashion model compared to this new art.

I will also say, something about it isn't grabbing me. I reserve the right to withhold judgment until the 3D render gets released.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »
    Ummm, what? Have you compared this against the existing model? The current CGL/IWM sculpt is practically a runway fashion model compared to this new art.

I will also say, something about it isn't grabbing me. I reserve the right to withhold judgment until the 3D render gets released.

Man... You're right. Went though my minis and even the old official cardboard standees. He's a slender little princess. Guess I just got used to the MWO model that felt like it had some meat on its bones.

kx3klFE.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I think it's the feet and circular lower leg. They're so chunky that it looks like it's standing on pegs.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

It's chunky enough, it doesn't quite feel boxy enough.

Like, ideally Hunchbacks would never be rendered in more than, like, 8-bit graphics. They should look like the platonic ideal of "low polygon count"

edited April 2020
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I think it's the feet and circular lower leg. They're so chunky that it looks like it's standing on pegs.

It's always been that way though. At least in this new art, they gave it some chunk in the thighs.

dGR1jukm.pngole5Pugm.png

@HydroSqueegee I'm now naming my next OldSculpt Hunchback "Slender Little Princess". Or I would, if I had any left to paint! Huh, go figure, I used all three I had on Oosik paint jobs. :P

tOO8YXSm.jpgXuFcoTCm.jpg

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Quickly, someone send that man some more OldSculpt Hunchies!

7e5c76fr7u10.jpg

Unnnnnnff

Tox wrote: »

I definitely like the IIC better, just looks boxier in all the right ways.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Where's the Dragon

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2020
    7e5c76fr7u10.jpg

Unnnnnnff

That's about 32ish Urbanmechs worth of Clan Mechs right there.

Where's the Dragon

Indeed! How long must the noble and glorious people of the Draconis Combine suffer this indignity!?

Axen on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    All of those make me really happy.

(If I was near my computer when I saw it, there’d be a Vince McMahon meme here).

Where's the Dragon

Should be in one of the next 2 design updates they post, if they're doing them in order

Oh man, that MAD IIc is chonky as fuck.

Really puts in perspective how skinny-legged the old Unseen MAD IIc is.

I definitely like the IIC better, just looks boxier in all the right ways.

Oh yea. The IIC got the chunk the Hunchback deserves. I like a Philly with a little meat in the seat.

kx3klFE.png
    Eh, agree to disagree. I think the IIc looks chubby compared to the IS Hunchie. The arms, legs, and CT are all bigger for no good reason.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, as the IS version mounts a bunch more armor than the IIc. The IIc has Clan Endo but not Ferro Fibrous, so you can't explain it away with that.

Eh, agree to disagree. I think the IIc looks chubby compared to the IS Hunchie. The arms, legs, and CT are all bigger for no good reason.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, as the IS version mounts a bunch more armor than the IIc. The IIc has Clan Endo but not Ferro Fibrous, so you can't explain it away with that.

It's 40% ammo belts

kx3klFE.png

It's 40% HONOR

FTFY

edited April 2020

I mean I agree that it makes a bit less sense contextually. I just mean in general, I wish the IS Hunchie was boxier, it makes more sense. Although the IIC being more round makes sense since it's not FF. I remember reading somewhere that FF is super hard to mold into really round panels.

Tox on
    edited April 2020
    So my preparations for the "Yay The Lockdown is Lifted Let's Play Some Celebratory Battletech Campaign Extravaganza" is making good speed.

Currently I'm spit-balling ideas for the actual campaign itself. It'll be a handful of missions played over several sessions.

The general gist of it is this (currently):

Set during the Capellan-St. Ives war. The Mercs (players) have been hired by St. Ives to help retake a world that had been captured by Capellan forces. The Capellan invasion force that originally captured the world has already moved on and have left behind mostly third and some secondary line formations as a garrison force. ie: Mostly armor with some light and medium Mechs and a few Heavies. I will have the players occasionally go up against a rival Merc unit that features some stiffer competition in the Mech department.

I've some special rules that I'm kicking around.

The players will have opportunities (whether they know it or not) to capture military assets besides the regular Mech salvage. Armor and VTOLs basically. They'll be able to take these with them for each subsequent mission (if they so choose). However, if they get destroyed during a mission they are gone for good. While they can potentially take as much Armor and VTOLs as they've captured on each mission (usually, but not always) they will still be relegated to one Lance of Mechs no matter how many they have. I'm trying to balance each mission around the idea of them having a single Lance, so any Armor or VTOLs they bring will make things that much easier and I am totally fine with that. Plus if they have a real bad time they won't feel screwed in later missions.

Their Mechs will be fully repaired, rearmed, or refitted (with anything they've salvaged) between each mission at no cost in C-Bills or time. Any Mechs they salvage will have to wait for one mission before being operational, but will then work under the same rules as their starting Mechs (Armor and VTOLs will be good to go right away though). The exception will be any Mechs they salvage in the second to last mission. Those will be ready for the final operation.

I'm taking a little bit of inspiration from Fire Emblem, of all things, in regards to the battle map. I've a 6' 4' battle mat and while I won't be using the whole thing all the time, there will be times that the entire map is used and will contain various Points of Interest besides their Main Objective. The Mercs can ignore these and complete the mission or try to interact with them for potential boons and sometimes cons. One example I've got will be in the first mission (capture a Capellan FOB, which will be the Mercs home away from home going forward). There will be a village with some Capellan forces in it. If the players decide to go out of their way to remove those Capellans from the village then the players will be gifted a Mech. Stuff like that will occasionally be present.

The Mercs wont have access to a store to buy new shit so salvage will be King during the campaign. Making due with what they capture is the running theme. This is also why I freely repair/rearm/refit their Mechs between each mission, as a sort of consolation.

The current list of potential missions are:

1) Capture Capellan FOB. This will be the Mercs' base of operations fluff wise.
    2) Defend FOB from Capellan counter attack.
    3) Ambush Capellan convoy carrying supplies to a pivotal battle front.
    4) Secure a downed Capellan dropship, destroy it otherwise. (Dropship had mechanical trouble and had to land the hard way. While the fleshbags inside didn't survive, the Mechs sure did)
    5) Secure bridges ahead of a major offensive.
    6) Knock out a Capellan AA site so final operation can commence.
    7) Battle for the Capital City! Capture Starport!
    8) Beers!

The campaign is certainly in the early stages of design and I'm sure things will change and evolve. A theme, if you will, for the missions is that the Mercs are not taking part in what may be considered the big, pivitol battles. What they're doing is still important to the war effort overall, but maybe not the sort of things that get written about in songs.

edit- The campaign isn't being designed to test their tactical and strategic thinking or Mech min-maxing. It's just supposed to be a fun fluffy time.

Axen on
    So this is my attempt to figure out if the free assets on thingiverse are more cost effective to print out than the sweet hextech stuff. On the plus side I was able to scale it to proper battletech dimensions in relation to mech height and terrain level height. 1 level is 6m which comes out to 20ft roughly which is 20mm in 6mm scale... I think. Who knows. What I do know is 20mm per level lines up with mech height for the most part. So a 2 level structure completely blocks all but the tallest mechs, which still counts as full cover for them too cause all you see is the head. I've scaled all the biggest tanks to be around 3 scale meters tall, which according to the charts I've found, is what they should be. So maybe my dream of a mostly properly scaled BT is just around the corner.

I dunno. Hopefully it looks right when it's done.

https://imgur.com/a/3434GQ0

This thing still has forever to go...

kx3klFE.png
    The math tracks. An average IRL building floor is around 10 feet (8 feet plus 2 for floor structure and utility space, barring some first-floor highrise shenanigans), thus 10 mm at 'Mech scale. One BT level is typically considered two stories (so 20 mm), two levels is four stories (40 mm). Plus, you can always allow for a bit of wiggle due to variable building construction codes across the Inner Sphere.

I've been down this rabbit hole what feels like hundreds of times. You're good. Print on.

I always found it strange how much detailed info there is on Mechs but never their height.

“How tall is a Dragon?”

“Taller than a Medium, shorter than an Assault.”

“Uh, okay. How tall is a Cicada then?”

“Taller than a light.”

“Hrm, in that case how tall is a Urbanmech?”

“... some things mortal men are not meant to know.”

I found this in some post on the MWO forums of all places whilst i was looking for info. Never seen it before in all my BT years, but its super helpful.

y7JQVKd.jpg

kx3klFE.png
    That is a very leggy Commando.

And Enforcer.

And even the Banshee a bit.

edited April 2020
    So here she is... its ok. needs a lot of supports trimmed. 133g of filament and 14 hours to print. So about $2.50. The price is right. Now i need to weigh if the sweet hextech files are worth the added cost. Because there are a ton of free buildings out there. But none nearly as nice.

81d2fJT.jpg

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    That is a very leggy Commando.
    And Enforcer.
    And even the Banshee a bit.

Yeah, looking at that chart, the Commando is 9ish meters tall, and 6 of those are legs.
    11.5/7 for the Enforcer
    13.3/8 for the Grasshopper
    14.3/9 for the Banshee

Grasshopper has a pretty similar leg to not leg ratio. Maybe it's because the legs are thicker it looks less leggy? Or because the legs on the Hopper actually sit under the torso rather than out to the side.

edited April 2020
    Speaking of buildings, a couple of mine finished today too.
    JrMR7pw.jpg

xN5SUcZ.jpg

E0oKsKc.jpg
    Capellans take cover inside a civilian village, as is their cowardly ways.

The first two come from the hextech Comm Center bundle, IIRC.

The little houses actually come from here on Thingiverse. I repurposed them to be used as single family dwellings. I think they'll do fine. Originally these were 28mm so I did have to scale them done just a touch.

edit- Perhaps worth posting again. Someone went and ripped the buildings from the MWO River City Map.

Commercial Zone
    Housing Zone
    Industrial Zone
    Spaceport
    Regular Port
    Government Zone
    Rasalhague Style Buildings

Axen on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    The math tracks. An average IRL building floor is around 10 feet (8 feet plus 2 for floor structure and utility space, barring some first-floor highrise shenanigans), thus 10 mm at 'Mech scale. One BT level is typically considered two stories (so 20 mm), two levels is four stories (40 mm). Plus, you can always allow for a bit of wiggle due to variable building construction codes across the Inner Sphere.

I've been down this rabbit hole what feels like hundreds of times. You're good. Print on.

If you want to go fully stark mad, start trying to adjust models to get an even volume to weight ratio

Then adjust for engine weight which probably has a different volume to weight ratio, so you have to account for that in your mechs volume to weight ratio based on its average engine size

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    JrMR7pw.jpg

xN5SUcZ.jpg

E0oKsKc.jpg

The little houses actually come from here on Thingiverse. I repurposed them to be used as single family dwellings. I think they'll do fine. Originally these were 28mm so I did have to scale them done just a touch.

edit- Perhaps worth posting again. Someone went and ripped the buildings from the MWO River City Map.

Commercial Zone
    Housing Zone
    Industrial Zone
    Spaceport
    Regular Port
    Government Zone

Oh man! Nice.

Give us some more shots on the grasslands set. I'm curious to see how they stack for higher hills (level 3-6+)

kx3klFE.png
    JrMR7pw.jpg

xN5SUcZ.jpg

E0oKsKc.jpg

Commercial Zone
    Housing Zone
    Industrial Zone
    Spaceport
    Regular Port
    Government Zone

Oh man! Nice.

Give us some more shots on the grasslands set. I'm curious to see how they stack for higher hills (level 3-6+)

That is a very good question. Let's find out!

NgodzR1.jpg
    These are all the pieces I've printed off so far. There are 12 different pieces in the bundle. I favored speed over detail when printing these so the bottoms may not be the most smooth. A few were a bit bigger than my build area too so I just cut em in half.

j8HdcKz.jpg
    All the pieces together.

y5wMjqD.jpg
    Stacked six high at the peak.

9AODJaB.jpg
    And the other side.

Ei2RXwp.jpg
    Top view. I had actually moved the whole thing as one to test how well it moved as a unit. Seemed fairly stable. Though I forgot to "squish" em back together for this shot.

lOzCcKb.jpg
    For shits and giggles I rearranged them to have some significant overhang. To my surprise this actually worked perfectly fine.

Also, the person (persons?) that designed these hex hills actually also designed these simpler, but free versions. They do look quite nice I must say.

Another Clan Invasion Update.

u82JbUL.jpg

Me likey.

edited May 2020
    Another Clan Invasion Update.

u82JbUL.jpg

Me likey.

I saw all these this morning, and yes please. I'm loving that Pixie more and more with each picture.

Someone on the forums mentioned some droop in a couple of the gun barrels, but honestly that's expected and an easy fix.

Nips on
    The Secret Unit of Credible Knowledge (S.U.C.K. for short) agents led an investigation into a rumor of a long forgotten Draconis Era military outpost in the bottle neck mountains. During the mission they have come across a forgotten bone yard of decommissioned vehicles deep in an underground warehouse. Techs are working around the clock to bring them online and press them into service for the Talisker Planetary Garrison.

https://imgur.com/a/audFrqQ

kx3klFE.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Guess whose resin printer finally arrived?
    Actually, the guy whose house we play at. But I promise you I won't be far behind!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Contents of the bucket, sans 4 Scorpions that are drying in the paint shop after being trimmed. Still have a bunch to go. Savanna Masters, Manticores and Sniper artillery at the very least.

... I went a tad heavy on the Scorpions. Good 2 foot work. Have a few malformed turrets. They'll make fine additions to the scenery as blasted up tanks.

https://imgur.com/a/tVFH0vD

kx3klFE.png
    I too am getting in to the resin game. Still figuring out optimal settings and techniques.

In the meantime I had ordered another two lances off eBay, which arrived yesterday. I’ll be doing them all up soon.

One Lance shall be the Mercs my players will repeatedly encounter. The other Lance I’m not too sure on yet.

In case you’re curious:

Nightstar
    Warhammer
    JagerMech
    Bushwacker

Are the enemy Mercs.

Atlas
    Catapult K2(PPCs right?)
    Black Knight
    Blackjack

Are the up for grabs lance.