As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Someone posted footage of the henshin of the new form shown off in Kamen Rider Zi-O's after-series special.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    So....all of original Kamen Rider got uploaded to tubi.tv. Apparently accidentally. US only. It’s been up for like 8 hours at this point so if they were going to take it down it would be already, I imagine, so I don’t feel too bad linking it here. https://tubitv.com/series/300004948/kamen_rider

• Options
    That kinda-upgrade seen in March's Zero-One scans is showing up next week.
    7Rzwh2B.jpg

Really looks nice. I do hope that we'll see the Key used as a new Valkyrie form. I mean, it looks like it's got the faceplate hidden inside of the helmet already.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Episodes zero and one of Kiramager are very much my jam, this show rules so far. The villain suits and the mecha in particular are amazing. Between this show and Zero-One, Reiwa Toei is all about being the right kind of stylish, I approve

I like support dude a lot, and the both girls are definitely cooler than the guys, but all three guys have a clear game and seem like they could be interesting in their way

Music’s good too— every year I wish they would abolish the end credits dance, but I think I’m into it this time

Zero-One continues to be great, Izu (Is?) is still by far the best part

• Options
    Zero-One's pretty cool but it seems not a lot of folks dig the current arc...
    ...thanks to the two-episode spread for each round as well as Gai's control of events as it were. Yes he's been beaten down by MCH more then once but it doesn't seem to phaze him in the long run. And then there's the events of the fourth round where he not only Magia's a Humagear indirectly in front of a news crew but he actually steals back evidence of his company's role in the Raiders' existence and destroys it successfully. Granted, this is mostly on Vulcan's head for a) not backing up whatever was on the ZAIASpec, b) waving it in front of Gai's face instead of stashing it somewhere safe and c) fighting him in a form he KNOWS Thouser's beaten before. Not helped with Aurto just letting the fight happen without backing him up. Gai's like Masamune Dan from Ex-Aid but the story here feels like it's forced to work harder to keep Gai in a position of strength which is weird seeing as Ex-Aid's writer is also working on this series.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gai is just not quite as entertaining a villian as Dan was, honestly. Also he comes after Horobi and Jin who were much stronger, so i can understand the frustration with the arc.
    I'm still enjoying things, and hopefully everything collapses on Gai sooner rather than later.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Yeah, the double episode structure was probably the fault here. I like this arc outside of that. It has this thing with eccentric background characters that I really like.

It also sounds like
    The contest is done this month so there's only a couple of eps left.

• Options
    Gai is just not quite as entertaining a villian as Dan was, honestly. Also he comes after Horobi and Jin who were much stronger, so i can understand the frustration with the arc.
    I'm still enjoying things, and hopefully everything collapses on Gai sooner rather than later.

He’s not as entertaining as Dan Kuroto (but only R/B’s Aizen is, really), but I’d say he’s way more entertaining than Dan Masamune (Chronos), who Owen named

Honestly I know it has its detractors, but I’m largely enjoying this arc. The episode where the Humagears worked together to control Metal Cluster was a highlight

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »

He’s not as entertaining as Dan Kuroto (but only R/B’s Aizen is, really), but I’d say he’s way more entertaining than Dan Masamune (Chronos), who Owen named

Honestly I know it has its detractors, but I’m largely enjoying this arc. The episode where the Humagears worked together to control Metal Cluster was a highlight

Oh yeah, MCH's debut was pretty good and I liked how they got it under control.

• Options

Shout Factory's setting up a channel on Pluto TV for subbed Toku, the channel premiering tomorrow. Here's the initial lineup.
    Fandom.com wrote:
    • 3 a.m. ET / 12 a.m. PT Kamen Rider
    • 5 a.m. ET / 2 a.m. PT Ultraman Leo
    • 7 a.m. ET / 4 a.m. PT Kamen Rider
    • 9 a.m. ET / 6 a.m. PT Ultraman Leo
    • 11 a.m. ET / 8 a.m. PT Ninja Sentai Kakuranger
    • 1 p.m. ET / 10 a.m. PT Gosei Sentai Dairanger
    • 3 p.m. ET / 12 p.m. PT Mirai Sentai Timeranger
    • 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT Chojin Sentai Jetman
    • 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT Kamen Rider
    • 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT Ultraman Leo
    • 11 p.m. ET / 8 p.m. PT Kamen Rider
    • 1 a.m. ET / 10 p.m. PT Ultraman Leo

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    scheduled television is a hard sell in the on-demand binge watch age and I am genuinely worried the format will torpedo kr's first real push in the west

• Options
    Yeah, I've already watched some of those Sentai on Shout's streaming site on my own time

They do appear to be doing a toku talk show that does interest me though, I like the idea of something like that

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    A ton of sentai is also on Tubi, I noticed.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So it's not on demand, just scheduled, right? This is my first time watching Kamen Rider outside of the Saban version and the Sega CD game(lol).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    As long as you can get Pluto TV, it's free. Just keep in mind that the source material for Saban's Kamen Rider is not what's being shown but rather the original Kamen Rider. Saban's source material is Kamen Rider Black RX, the first ever sequel series for a Kamen Rider. I mean, most if not all of them had Riders from the previous series but Black RX was the same guy just given new powers after his original set from Kamen Rider Black were wrecked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yhl-XNQY0k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frqf6BGfcAI

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had a feeling that wasn't the OG.

I have fond memories of the Sega CD game, despite how technically "bad" it is. It's a fun FMV game, and does a good job of making it look like you have branching paths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO22q0s8bAM

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

So last night Toei announced their own western YouTube channel

It'll have 70 of their toku shows from the 1960's-90's, subtitled

buuuuut only the first two episodes of each show, with more episodes being added as time goes on

Anyway, the best part is that the channel has its own mascot like everything in Japan, some kind of ninja fox named Cotenmaru

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    "At launch, we will have the first two episodes of all 70 shows available with English subtitles! Further episodes will be available in Japanese for now, but there could be frequent updates. We plan on making a public call for subtitles in any language."

Still, it's pretty exciting. 70 shows, including Gorenger, JAKQ, Space Cop Gavan, Space Cop Sharivan, Kaiketsu Zubat, and Winspector. And a heck ton more.

• Options

This looks so good!

Love Zett’s suit, especially the color timer. Great color scheme, we need more blue Ultras

• Options
    Just discovered this today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQG7WFO-uVw

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    KirameiRed has apparently tested positive for COVID and Toei has shut down.

They have episodes shot through the middle of May, so they’re hoping this doesn’t interrupt production too drastically.

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    KirameiRed has apparently tested positive for COVID and Toei has shut down.

They have episodes shot through the middle of May, so they’re hoping this doesn’t interrupt production too drastically.

Oh jeez, I hope everyone there will be ok, especially Red's actor.

• Options
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    I'm about a week late, but holy shit that last episode of Zero-One. Should have known something was up when they had to skip the opening.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I appreciate the edit to focus on the most important part

• Options
    New Garo and new Digimon both started this weekend

I've been working my way through Garo the past couple months (currently in the middle of the second season, finished first season and three movies) and early Garo is pretty rough, gotta say

Watched the first ep of the new series and I like it way more

Reactions to Digimon's first ep have been very promising-- I mention it here rather than the anime thread both because it's made by Toei and because it feels way more similar to Kamen Rider to me than Pokemon, for instance. Kinda the same reason I would talk about the Gridman anime here

Anyway, between Garo Versus Road, Kirameiger, Zero-One, and Ultraman Z's design, Reiwa toku seems to be consistently very rad and stylish

Usually I only ever actually enjoy one toku show at a time and endure the others, so this feels kind of like an embarrassment of riches

• Options

Yuichi Nakamura, the actor that plays Kamen Rider Zeronos in Kamen Rider Den-O, recently sent out a tweet to cheer up kids during the health crisis going on. The hashtag he put for it, #ヒーローが子供達を元気にする (Heroes Cheer Up Kids) has become a banner for Toku actors from all over to put in their two-cents tweets in support of the idea, some of which have been translated by English fans.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/Ztte1td_Ubo

This is cute

Ultraman tells you how to quarantine and cheers you on

• Options
    https://youtu.be/tPyZoOJhgLw

Actors from Uchu Sentai Kyuranger banded together via video-cams to come with a 'Stay At Home' version of their theme song.

• Options

This looks really good and is a pretty clever way to combine the big three toku— you’ve got a bug-themed biker, a giant hero, and they form a red/blue/yellow team

• Options
    Started and finished Kamen Rider Drive in the last month. That's a pretty dang good show. I've watched Gaim, Fourze, Build, OOO, and now Drive.

I really enjoyed it. I must be susceptible to police procedural stuff, since I didn't feel like it ever really dragged, even at the start. The corny/impossible to figure out mysteries were still plenty to keep me going along with the little hints here and there of larger plot and character progression. There is a lot of focus on a villains here, and not just in-fighting, but their dreams and aspirations. At times, they felt like secondary heroes or anti-heroes.

Overall good supporting cast. Genpachi is a standout, and Kiriko of course nails it. Chase was always entertaining.

The only character I didn't really care for was Go/Mach, since he's so negative and miserable for a lot of the show. Cool suit though. And he does have a decent arc, you just have to wait for it.

The Drive Type Speed suit is an all-time great suit, btw.

Great show, would recommend.

• Options
  • Options
    nea0nunsvr4k.jpg

I'm not sure if this is really bad or really good. But it's really something. This is what happens when I go searching for random weird toku I've never heard of before.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0mosM2yg2c

This is pretty cute. It also has subbing via the video's CC.

• Options
    May's magazine scans are up. First, Zero-One's reveals a new villainous Rider.
    UrSJcit.jpg

Along with an old one. Yeah, I goofed when I said a couple of months ago that Raiden was coming back then. It's only now with Thouser's defeat that MJ.net gets truly reunited with Naki getting a new body for themselves as well. The real big deal is our friend in black on the right.

fVYQhhA.jpg

It turns out that the Ark hasn't gotten enough of having a Rider-body of it's own after it was cut off from Metal Cluster Hopper. Now it's back as Kamen Rider Ark-Zero!

Then Kiramager's has unveiled the team's Sixth.
    zFa28yc.jpg

Kiramai-Silver is Crystallia Takamichi, a treasure hunter who uses his journal, Shiny Changer and Shiny Breaker tool to find items of incredible power.

qTQ9FxI.jpg

The Breaker gives Silver the ability to fly as well as either shoot up enemies or use either a claw and it's drill for melee.

• Options
    I managed to catch this week's Zero-One episode while it aired.
    Yua finally taking a stand was pretty good. As for those upset that she'll likely not get Fighting Jackal as an upgrade, honestly this fight makes me feel like she doesn't NEED it yet as she makes Dashing Cheetah and Lightning Hornet work, with and without Vulcan's help. Plus there's the fact that Gai's just crap at using Thouser effectively, much less against someone that probably knows the ins and outs of the system. Even with him buzzing her brain during and after the fight, she still got the final shot in and out of suit.

As for what might come next (in relation to the scans above)...
    Someone put up a quick theory in the KR Reddit that would be pretty fitting. See, while the Ark is getting it's own Rider-self in the form of Ark-Zero, it still needs a physical body. The poster offered the idea of that being none other then Gai. It would be fitting on so many levels that the guy that helped make Ark and MJ.Net what they are and see them as tools in his revenge against Aruto's granddad would in turn be taken by them and used as a tool himself to spread the will of the Ark. Plus as long as he doesn't lose ZAIA and/or Hiden Intelligence, that means they can also use him as a puppet CEO to gain a lot of resources like ZAIA's Gigers.

• Options
    Sorry for multiple-post-dropping here but I thought some of you might want to know.

• Options
    That's Kuuga, yes?

This discussion has been closed.