As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Thanos wasn't worried because she's determined, he was beating several equally-determined heroes into a pulp

Yes, he was.

It was almost a direct shot to when Captain America also gave him a surprise holding his hand open in Infinity War. Right down to Thanos using his other hand as the counter.

That's one other hero that came close to pulling off what she did, she was pushing him back, Captain America just held him in place.

What are the other heroes that surprised Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet on? Scarlet Witch? Iron Man? Several being on Carol's level of determination is a stretch.

I'm pretty sure that he was worried because she a): trivially blew up his ship and b): got hit multiple times while he was using the Gauntlet and not only didn't care but didn't actually move. Thanos objectively does not give a fuck about how determined you are: "I am inevitable."

Turns out fighting knock-off Superman is cause for concern, regardless of whether or not she's not particularly invested.

Yeah it's pretty much this. Captain America doing it is impressive because cap is "just" an enhanced human. Danver's movie established her as pretty much invulnerable with unlimited power

I think it's why they use the Scarlet Witch directly so little because her powers seem to be "can do anything if she really wants to" but she could at least be knocked out or distracted or whatever. Glowing captain marvel seems to be nearly immune to everything that isn't a direct punch with the power stone

A hero that can just straight up punch out the bad guy without any weaknesses or sacrifice is just boring. It's why superman is constantly plagued by kryptonite

As for determination, Captain America is the embodiment of determination. No matter what you do he will stand up and take another beating, he will keep trying beyond any limits. Cap had his Mjolnir moment and Thanos promptly beats the crap out of him and smashes his shield, and he gets back up

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    When Captain America gets knocked down, he gets back up because it’s the right thing to do

When Captain Marvel gets knocked down, she gets back up because fuck you

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I reject the idea that powerful characters are uninteresting. Maybe to you guys. I've read and watched many cool stories about Superman, Capt Marvel and their ilk. I don't think Captain Marvel was a perfect movie but it's also not a movie made for me, specifically, so I don't really think it's my place to take it to task when it represents so much for other folks. The theming is strong enough to carry it to the end, and I like Danvers attitude, I think I identified with her anger when someone told her to stand down/calm down/take orders. I know that's specifically a pet peeve of mine IRL so when she smacked alien Jude Law around it felt good.

Idk people who harp about Captain Marvel still after all this time are like the constantly shrieking Star Wars fandom, too busy obsessed with what they don't like to go enjoy the things they could

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    When Captain America gets knocked down, he gets back up because it’s the right thing to do

When Captain Marvel gets knocked down, she gets back up because fuck you

Maybe this is why I like Captain Marvel more than I like Captain America

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I reject the idea that powerful characters are uninteresting. Maybe to you guys. I've read and watched many cool stories about Superman, Capt Marvel and their ilk. I don't think Captain Marvel was a perfect movie but it's also not a movie made for me, specifically, so I don't really think it's my place to take it to task when it represents so much for other folks. The theming is strong enough to carry it to the end, and I like Danvers attitude, I think I identified with her anger when someone told her to stand down/calm down/take orders. I know that's specifically a pet peeve of mine IRL so when she smacked alien Jude Law around it felt good.

Idk people who harp about Captain Marvel still after all this time are like the constantly shrieking Star Wars fandom, too busy obsessed with what they don't like to go enjoy the things they could

People in this thread are literally still harping on about Iron Man 2, after a significantly larger amount of time. Sometimes something is just worthy of criticism, and there isn't an ulterior motive. I don't care about Captain Marvel, I watched it because I was deliberately misled by Disney into thinking it was essential watching for Endgame, and I thought it was completely forgettable, in terms of plot and direction. It was like an early-level MCU entry where it is designed to be as bland and inoffensive as possible. It's worst sin is it is boring.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    There's a difference between Captains America and Marvel doing the hand grab on Thanos.

Infinity War Thanos was the Thanos who spent years preparing to take the stones and just took all but one in a single pass. He's taken off his armor and is totally assured of himself, methodical and sanctimonious. He's brushing the Avengers aside with no real effort. Captain America grabs his hand and he curiously considers this new obstacle before swatting it away like the insect it is.

Endgame Thanos has done none of that. He's seen that someone else already has the stones and has come in force to take them. This is not the Thanos who pitties Tony Stark and cries for his unloved daughter, it's the Thanos who slaughters worlds and comes home to take his supper still wearing his blood drenched armor. He is exerting the full power of himself and his army, Captain Marvel catches his hand and he strikes her full force and he doesn't even make contact. He's forced to take the Power Stone in his bare hand and use it on her, then return it to the gauntlet before it tears his hand apart.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Honestly the Captain Marvel power level stuff would make so much more sense if they bothered to explain how her powers work on camera. A comic book reading friend told me they do this exhaustively in the comics, and broke it down for me, and I instantly was cool with how strong Captain Marvel is (her movie still isn't great, but I like the character overall now).

Apparently, she can absorb energy, so when an alien battleship shoots a couple dozen laser gun barrages at her, she becomes ridiculous for a while. In both Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame her outrageous "smash right through the battleship" stunts and gross superiority to Thanos were immediately after such an energy-rich fusillade.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2020
    Captain Marvel really should have been introduced in Phase 4 instead of right before the culmination of the first three phases. Her scenes are cool and all, but she’s ultimately a fairly minor character in a movie that was already overstuffed with them. Would have been better to give the guy with no movies of his own but expected to take up the shield more screen time.

Black Panther was similarly added last minute, but his whole country is a major part of the duology.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I’m still hoping for a Sentry movie, who is the best of the Marvel superman ripoffs

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Honestly the Captain Marvel power level stuff would make so much more sense if they bothered to explain how her powers work on camera. A comic book reading friend told me they do this exhaustively in the comics, and broke it down for me, and I instantly was cool with how strong Captain Marvel is (her movie still isn't great, but I like the character overall now).

Apparently, she can absorb energy, so when an alien battleship shoots a couple dozen laser gun barrages at her, she becomes ridiculous for a while. In both Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame her outrageous "smash right through the battleship" stunts and gross superiority to Thanos were immediately after such an energy-rich fusillade.

So... simplified further, Captain Marvel is to energy what Hulk is to anger?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I’m still hoping for a Sentry movie, who is the best of the Marvel superman ripoffs

I find Bob kinda blasie.

Give me Kallark/Gladiator. Who doesn't love a blue mohawk?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Coincidentally it was the 2 characters whose powers are connected to exposure to the infinity stones that were able to stand up to Thanos.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

I find Bob kinda blasie.

Give me Kallark/Gladiator. Who doesn't love a blue mohawk?

Bob isn’t really Bob though, he’s a drug addict loser with mental problems

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

So... simplified further, Captain Marvel is to energy what Hulk is to anger?

As I understand it, yes, don't use your rayguns, punch her instead, but I'm not a comic book guy, this was explained second hand to me.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think they kinda missed out on the FX for Captain Marvel. All these characters got their own sound effects and visuals that clue you in to what they're doing in the chaos of a fight. Iron Man's repulsors fweeee, Cap's shield vrrrms when it's hit, Mewmew goes whoooosh.

I have no clue what Captain Marvel's energy absorption looks or sounds like.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    As someone who didn't see Captain Marvel (or really know anything about her prior to it all), her entrance in the last battle of Endgame basically communicated to me, "She's a Goku."

And folks, that's pretty easy to grasp.

I presume all the way to the battle she was just flying back over Snake Way.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the end fight on the ship in Captain Marvel. Because they wanted that specific song to play, and ideally it'd be diegetic from the jukebox getting jostled or something. Except it was released the year the movie takes place so wouldn't have been on the ship which had been lost up there in 1989.

I don't envy filmmakers for the thousands of decisions that need to be made on every shot in the movie.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Absolute shot for shot remake of Man of Steel but he's called Hyperion. It wouldn't exactly jump to the top half of the MCU, but the problem with so much of the DCEU is less that they're bad movies, but that they're bad Superman and Batman movies. Marvel's most direct ripoff of the two, however, don't really care about collateral damage or murdering the shit out of people.
    Follow up: Nighthawk vs Hyperion, straight remake of Dawn of Justice. Squadron Supreme is just the Snyder cut of Justice League with Henry Cavill's mustache intact.

Hevach on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Aistan wrote: »
    They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the end fight on the ship in Captain Marvel. Because they wanted that specific song to play, and ideally it'd be diegetic from the jukebox getting jostled or something. Except it was released the year the movie takes place so wouldn't have been on the ship which had been lost up there in 1989.

I don't envy filmmakers for the thousands of decisions that need to be made on every shot in the movie.

that was actually my only gripe with the movie (aside from skrulls who I hate)

all the songs in the movie are super great and I love them all .... but they don't mean anything at all to Carol because she's been on kree homeworld for 10 years

they should have used kickass girl rock from the 70s and 80s more

edit: 'Oh Bondage! Up Yours' would have been perfect!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Man of Steel and Batman v Superman are much more interesting if you pretend they are actually Ultraman movies. Man of Steel works as an amazing origin story for Ultraman. :P

In all seriousness, Superman is just boring to people who don't actually know Superman.

Captain Marvel has always been boring in the comics to me, as she has never risen above, "That hero that Rogue messed up." Bless Marvel as they have tried over the years to give her some personality but it's never really worked.

I enjoyed her movie though. She is added to the characters like Thor and Dr. Strange that I have no interest in in the comics, but love their MCU counterparts.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    She had some interesting stuff going on after her return (look up "the rape of Ms. Marvel" for the super fucked up way she vanished from comics for a while - Moviebob made a video on Escapist about it years ago if it's still there), but it wasn't really any of her arcs, just some simmering B plot with her alcoholism and still remembering her alternate life during House of M.

I'd say the same about Thor, for that matter. There's a years long super-arc spanning from Gor the Godbutcher through Original Sin, Jane Foster taking Mjolnir, and an actually good arc where Odinson sought out leftover Mjolnirs from Battleworld and finally resolving when Jane Foster died and he reclaimed his Mjolnir. During it all he has a really interesting B plot where he ponders what Mjolnir is actually judging in it's wielders and asks all the same questions nerds argue about and can't offer any consistent answers.

90% of the comics themselves are meh to garbage, but I hunted down like 10 years of his comics and trades because I was interested in that background.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

Couldn't they just have had a radio on the ship?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

GoTG might have been able to get away with the goofiness of an alien radio in orbit happening to pick up the right frequency in the FM band after being shot by Rocket or someone, but for Captain Marvel I think they made the right call to just play the song instead of trying to work it in there somehow.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

all the songs in the movie are super great and I love them all .... but they don't mean anything at all to Carol because she's been on kree homeworld for 10 years

No Doubt are Skrulls and it released in space first.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »

GoTG might have been able to get away with the goofiness of an alien radio in orbit happening to pick up the right frequency in the FM band after being shot by Rocket or someone, but for Captain Marvel I think they made the right call to just play the song instead of trying to work it in there somehow.

It doesn't have to have been an alien radio. If they had an earth jukebox, they could have an earth radio.

I don't know how difficult it would have been to pick up earth radio transmissions from orbit, but pop an alien-looking antenna on an old RadioShack radio, and bam.

It even makes sense that they would want to listen to earth radio beyond the entertainment value, they would have wanted to listen for news of an alien invasion.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The best option would have been to just not use the song in this non-cathartic battle against nobodies that we don't know or have any investment in. It smacks of "we want to use this song, we're going to use this song, we haven't wrote an appropriate scene to use the song, let's just use the song".

Gotg songs aren't necessarily specific to the scene going on, its just a curated list of good songs from a distinct era that is given greater meaning in retrospect.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Coincidentally it was the 2 characters whose powers are connected to exposure to the infinity stones that were able to stand up to Thanos.

Scarlet Witch had him running for the scorched earth strategy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You know enough about the crew for that scene to resonate, they were her former crew who Carol just realized are the real bad guys and now need to be laid out. The carthasis of the scene isn't about them, it's about Carol finally being able to cut loose after years of being restrained.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Due to this thread I'm watching Iron Man 2 tonight.

You're all welcome.

All of you.

History will vindicate not only me but this movie!!!

It's my favorite of the trilogy, and easily has the best villain.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

No Doubt are Skrulls and it released in space first.

This is exactly why I hate skrulls

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The Skrulls were the best part of Captain Marvel :(

• Options

It was the cat. (And where was HE during the final battle in Endgame? The true Thanos Slayer.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It was the cat. (And where was HE during the final battle in Endgame? The true Thanos Slayer.)

Strange saw Goose in about 7 of those possible futures and was just scared shitless. He told Wong not to get the cat.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Help me out, I'm trying to remember: what was the origin of Carol's powers, in the movie? IIRC it was something like "reactor powered by an infinity stone blew up"?

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Strange saw Goose in about 7 of those possible futures and was just scared shitless. He told Wong not to get the cat.

This explains Wong's concern when Strange asks if this is everyone, he's worried Strange changed his mind and might need to unleash the Goose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Help me out, I'm trying to remember: what was the origin of Carol's powers, in the movie? IIRC it was something like "reactor powered by an infinity stone blew up"?

That's it, yeh. She got irradiated with Space Stone juice.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Tesseract Powers. She's the Space version of Scarlet Witch or Vision.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Visskar wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »

This explains Wong's concern when Strange asks if this is everyone, he's worried Strange changed his mind and might need to unleash the Goose.

The Goose is Loose!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Well I guess I'm just going to have to grab all the MCU movies, even if some of them are less than stellar. Is there any way to get them all on 4K blu-ray without paying exorbitant prices on eBay for that limited box set they did last year?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Well I guess I'm just going to have to grab all the MCU movies, even if some of them are less than stellar. Is there any way to get them all on 4K blu-ray without paying exorbitant prices on eBay for that limited box set they did last year?

Best buy and some other places had the 4k steelbooks on sale last week, not sure if still going on. The generic cover ones with the silver foil are usually cheaper when you find them at Walmart and the like. The 4k transfers of the older films are pretty bad tho.

This discussion has been closed.