As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Anyone have a good system for remembering what unlocked a scenario? I'm at the point where I can't remember why we might want to do certain things.

What is this I don't even.
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Anyone have a good system for remembering what unlocked a scenario? I'm at the point where I can't remember why we might want to do certain things.

Not really. We discovered that problem a dozen scenarios in. Our kludge is to start writing down a log of what scenario we played, what unlocked, and a little bit about what happened.

e.g.
    4/9/2020, played Scenario 555, defeated the Foo tribe. Bar chieftain asks us for help. Unlocked Scenario 444 (help the Bar tribe) and Scenario 666 (murder the Bar tribe).

Yeah, I ended up pulling out the book and all our destroyed cards and just making a document describing where we are narratively with each line of story.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    What's the deal with x-envelope?
    We unlocked it and decoded it. But how do we get more clues? If we need all remaining 9 letters, that's a lot. And what do we do with the name? The note talks about a web to speak the name into, but not where it is.

I don't think that's the X envelope?
    IIRC the X envelope wasn't decodable. It uses a different rune system than everything else.
    Except the end of the Town Records.

It's certainly the way I described it (at least in 2nd ed). I have it right in front of me.

Hm. Maybe I'm mis-remembering which thing came from where. I thought the message you were describing came from envelope B? Or A, whichever one isn't the Sanctuary. (I do not have our 1st Ed copy here to check.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited April 2020
    I lied.

Darkewolfe on
    In my copy of the game, which was the most recent printing I believe, I think X unlocked:
    A mission to go fight a harrower swarm, which we have not done.

In 1st Ed that's 100% the "only open if you deserve it" envelope.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    In my copy of the game, which was the most recent printing I believe, I think X unlocked:

We've opened b (donate) but not a (ancient tech), and x. X spoilers:
    It contains exactly one piece of card. A note that reads, in the runic alphabet whose key came with the box, the following:

We call from the dust - from the aged bones of those you have killed. Speak our name into his web and we will be free. 10 clues you must find - 10 letters to our name. Here is the first: B

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

Not really. We discovered that problem a dozen scenarios in. Our kludge is to start writing down a log of what scenario we played, what unlocked, and a little bit about what happened.

e.g.
    4/9/2020, played Scenario 555, defeated the Foo tribe. Bar chieftain asks us for help. Unlocked Scenario 444 (help the Bar tribe) and Scenario 666 (murder the Bar tribe).

Board game geek has a flowchart of all the missions. It's quite handy, but at least slightly spoilery.

It contains exactly one piece of card. A note that reads, in the runic alphabet whose key came with the box, the following:

We call from the dust - from the aged bones of those you have killed. Speak our name into his web and we will be free. 10 clues you must find - 10 letters to our name. Here is the first: B

I really think that 1st Ed had A and X switched then, but I can't recall 100% which came from which.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

I really think that 1st Ed had A and X switched then, but I can't recall 100% which came from which.

That I don't know. Only seen 2nd ed. Anyways (x spoilers):
    Where the hell is the web, and where can we find 9 (!) more clues?

• antheremantherem Registered User regular

Spoiler for the second half of your question:
    All throughout the campaign as rewards for various things, as an example of something you've listed
    completing the Ancient Technology meta
    gets you a letter

Obnoxious hinting spoiler for the first half of your question
    you're using it right now

In 1st Ed that's 100% the "only open if you deserve it" envelope.

Actually yeah I was wrong.

antherem wrote: »

All throughout the campaign as rewards for various things, as an example of something you've listed
    gets you a letter

Thanks! We literally haven't gotten any clues yet, and we're almost done with everything that appears worth doing (we have one major quest chain left). Which is why I was wondering :)

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    My Sunday Gloomhaven group is Spellweaver, Eclipse, Saw and Concentric Circles.
    Aka, Spellweaver, Batman, Dr McCoy, and Summoner.
    Class longevity? Pft. That's for chumps.

My Spellweaver did manage to clear an entire room of 8 enemies in 2 turns on scenario 17, though. Clumped up mooks + supercharged Impaling Eruption + the 3x fireblast dropped the entire lot before invisibility finished.

This is my second time playing Spellweaver, and I'm somewhat salty about poor choices for enhancements the first time through. In particular, I am coming to suspect +1 damage on the low level cards isn't generally very useful. Most of those cards age out anyways, and spending a bunch of gold to kit out a level 1 card just so it can still be less useful than its level 4 or 5 replacement sucks. So, since this is a separate game, I put wound on Impaling Eruptions instead. The bet is that 4x wound twice a battle will work out to far more damage than +1 to a damage card.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    Yeah, I am getting a little unhappy with a +1 damage I put on Thief Snack (Thief's Knack) early in the campaign. It has done plenty of work over time, but I kinda wish now it was Wound or Curse.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

gets you a letter

Thanks! We literally haven't gotten any clues yet, and we're almost done with everything that appears worth doing (we have one major quest chain left). Which is why I was wondering :)
    Nudge/Hint:
    Yes, you have. You just haven't noticed yet.

Madpoet wrote: »

gets you a letter

Nudge/Hint:

X:
    Looked up some more hints online. Realized that some letters are hidden on various game components. And a lot of stuff needs looking up online. I also assume that's where we need to input the answer (the web talked about in the original note). I'm not a fan.

There should be some hint to look at other game components. I would never have thought to look at the map or on an item we didn't even find.

And I really don't like having clues not be in the game at all, but on the creator's obscure blog posts.

Haven't looked up the final answer yet. Will wait until we've done the other stuff, I think.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »

gets you a letter

Nudge/Hint:

X:
    Looked up some more hints online. Realized that some letters are hidden on various game components. And a lot of stuff needs looking up online. I also assume that's where we need to input the answer (the web talked about in the original note). I'm not a fan.

There should be some hint to look at other game components. I would never have thought to look at the map or on an item we didn't even find.

And I really don't like having clues not be in the game at all, but on the creator's obscure blog posts.

Haven't looked up the final answer yet. Will wait until we've done the other stuff, I think.

Yeah, X
    was a neat idea for a meta-puzzle but the execution didn't totally work. It really didn't help that one of the clues (at least in the first printing) has a typo and you'd have no way to find out about that on your own.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Monday group, two scenarios in 2 hours. First was an escape scenario with some very puzzling problems.
    They didn't give us enough Ancient Artillery to fill the board, meaning the second room got no artillery. Plus, spawning monsters on an event is super easy to cheese; me and the Quartermaster just stood on the spawns and negated two elite stone golems.

Then a "race across the map and loot the thing" map. My Sun popped the damage negation loss card on the Eclipse, and the Eclipse booked 18 squares with jump for a two turn victory. Absolute definition of cheese.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Monday group, two scenarios in 2 hours. First was an escape scenario with some very puzzling problems.
    They didn't give us enough Ancient Artillery to fill the board, meaning the second room got no artillery. Plus, spawning monsters on an event is super easy to cheese; me and the Quartermaster just stood on the spawns and negated two elite stone golems.

Then a "race across the map and loot the thing" map. My Sun popped the damage negation loss card on the Eclipse, and the Eclipse booked 18 squares with jump for a two turn victory. Absolute definition of cheese.

Huh. Don't monster summons just appear in an adjacent space?

For running out of monster, Rulebook page 19: " It is possible to run out
    of specific types of monster standees when revealing a room. If this happens, place only the standees that are
    available, starting with the monsters closest to the revealing character."

Adjacent hex is for monster summons. However, this scenario explicitly says they aren't summons:

Scenario 41:
    Do not set up the Stone Golems or Ancient Artilleries in this room until any character occupies pressure plate at the end of their turn. Once this happens, follow the normal rules for spawning new monsters.

The game has no ruling for normal monster spawns when the space is occupied by a player. Normal door-kicking rules trigger instantly on activation of the entry point, so it never happens. Plus the second monster in that spoiler already spawned to its max in the previous room - with no despawn rules once we escaped - and so there were no figurines available to put more in.

Hence why I think the scenario has some rather puzzling problems.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    For running out of monster, Rulebook page 19: " It is possible to run out
    of specific types of monster standees when revealing a room. If this happens, place only the standees that are
    available, starting with the monsters closest to the revealing character."

Adjacent hex is for monster summons. However, this scenario explicitly says they aren't summons:

Scenario 41:
    Do not set up the Stone Golems or Ancient Artilleries in this room until any character occupies pressure plate at the end of their turn. Once this happens, follow the normal rules for spawning new monsters.

The game has no ruling for normal monster spawns when the space is occupied by a player. Normal door-kicking rules trigger instantly on activation of the entry point, so it never happens. Plus the second monster in that spoiler already spawned to its max in the previous room - with no despawn rules once we escaped - and so there were no figurines available to put more in.

Hence why I think the scenario has some rather puzzling problems.

I do remember that there was another scenario where monsters would alternately spawn at 4 points around the room and we had the bright idea to go stand on those points to prevent them from spawning. We did this for several rounds until we found something in the rule book that made us believe that we were incorrect and they would spawn in an adjacent hex. I don't know if we were right or not but that's the consensus we reached.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
    edited April 2020
    Don't think I've played the scenario in question, but there is a rule difference between "summon" (p.31) and "spawn" (p.34).

AFAICT, Summons A) are a monster ability, B) don't drop money, and C) don't arrive if there aren't empty hexes next to the summoner. Spawns are a scenario effect, do drop money, and arrive in closest empty hex.

Fry on
    edited April 2020
    Anyone have a rules reference for "can you inflict status effects on destructible objects?" Wound doesn't make sense if the object doesn't take a turn, but how about poison or curse?

edit: found it in the official FAQ, which is at the back of the online rulebook.
    Are obstacles with hit points considered enemies? Can they poisoned, wounded, etc.?

Obstacles with hit points are technically considered enemies for all ability purposes, but they are immune to all negative conditions.

Fry on
    We were trying to decide what to do with multihex things that can be attacked. We decided that a multihex thing is a single target, so if something requires targeting you can only hit it once, but if an AOE hits multiple hexes it might hit the same thing multiple times, as long as there's no targeting rule.

That might not be the rule but we mostly liked it.

edited April 2020
    Slaughtered some more oozes last night. Oozes always seem terrifying when setting up a scenario, but fortunately we haven't been bested by them yet. I think this is down to two things: getting good luck with which ooze actions we draw when, and component limitations not scaling by number of players. For two players, I imagine trying to fight your way through ten oozes at once is a nightmare, but since we are almost always playing with four, ten oozes is relatively much less of a hurdle.

Also, if there are ten oozes on the board already, if they draw any attack (especially "attack two targets"), it's terrifying. If they draw "split", that's better than getting a free turn (because they are hurting themselves). Massively swingy. Hopefully if oozes or a similar enemy are in Frosthaven, their behavior is smoothed out a bit.

In other news, first time out for our new (redacted1). First time that player has had to care about elements, so he asked to verify that when you generate an element, it doesn't show up until the end of turn. Which massively confused our Spellweaver/(redacted2) player. I hadn't wanted to explain to him that you can't use elements the same turn you generate them, because he's already AP-prone. Fortunately, after some initial consternation, he retooled his deck a bit, and seemed to end up performing roughly as well as he did before.

Oh, I also found a pretty cool one-card "combo" for my high-level Scoundrel: Use the bottom half of Stick to the Shadows as my last card, long rest, use Stick to the Shadows as my first action, use something with a slow initiative. Effectively four consecutive turns of invisibility. Not something that's always a good idea, but for scenarios with split objectives, I can potentially take one by myself and let the monsters waste time running across the map towards the rest of the party.

Fry on
    Oops, just realized that we have already completed a scenario that shouldn't have been unlocked yet. Make sure you only unlock the scenarios that a mission says are unlocked in the box. Sometimes a scenario's concluding text will reference other scenarios that it isn't necessarily unlocking!

Oops, just realized that we have already completed a scenario that shouldn't have been unlocked yet. Make sure you only unlock the scenarios that a mission says are unlocked in the box. Sometimes a scenario's concluding text will reference other scenarios that it isn't necessarily unlocking!

I've been trying to figure out what unlocks what. The only clear indicator I've understood is when something is on the board but I don't have the achievements for it yet.

Scenario 26 is incredibly rough.
    The combination of oozes, night demons, and respawning imps is just a brutal pill of disadvantage and curses.

I went through 5 curses and 3 normal misses, never a good mix. The end scenario goal might have been relatively simple...
    But four imps a round!? In the final room?! Blocking your entrance to what you need to cleanse?!

We actually won by abject sorcery. The other three exhausted, and it was me (Sun) against 9 imps. Then, by a combination of persistent shields, luck, and more luck I survived the five rounds necessary to finish the scenario. At one point the imps did nine attacks against me with advantage, and they somehow managed to deal only two damage through my shield 2 + Sun shield.

Horrible scenario. Amazed we won.

edited April 2020

I've been trying to figure out what unlocks what. The only clear indicator I've understood is when something is on the board but I don't have the achievements for it yet.

Unlocks are in reward boxes.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Yeah, that scenario sucks. One of the few we've lost, but we got it the second time. We had basically flawless execution and excellent luck for the first two rooms, and then it was still ridiculous at the end.

Unlocks are in reward boxes.

Oh, Jesus. I've messed this up SEVERAL times. Massively.

Yeah, circles in the narrative text are just fluff to help you remember why you might want to go do certain scenarios. If there's a box that says "New Location," that puts a sticker on your campaign map, and may or may not allow you to visit that location. The boxes for "Party Achievements" and "Global Achievements" give you things that can lock or block a location (refer to the "requirements" at the start of a scenario's description). Some scenarios have "none" for the requirements, so all you need is the location to be on your map.

After doing a review of what we've done, I think I've put stickers on the map that shouldn't be there, but I don't think we've done anything we shouldn't have. The party achievement system seems to address this, maybe they added it later? There are a number of missions we shouldn't have added, but we haven't done them because they require party achievements we don't have.

I think Party Achievements are so you could theoretically have multiple groups of players, without the threat of one group hopping into the middle of the other group's quest chain and having no idea what's going on. That definitely seems to be the case for a few scenarios that we've unlocked via road/city events, anyway.

My Scoundrel is now level 9. The internet says Long Con is the better card, and it probably is, but daggumit I am going to make Watch It Burn work.

We have unlocked lightning bolts and triforce. We approach the point where we've unlocked most things and I assume we kind of settle into favorites.

I'm the one who unlocked triforce and started one up. Spoiler free behind spoilers except feelings on how it feels.
    I will admit I'm not entirely thrilled with it so far but I think I need to figure it out. I'm coming off of octopus-face and having played mindthief to start, so this is a very different playstyle.

edited April 2020
    Oh also, we had a retirement last night, unlocking Music Notes. Looking through the class cards, the player decided that that would make our party incredibly lopsided for a while given the rest of our composition, so they're going to go back and play one of the starter classes that we haven't used yet.

edit: I just looked through the class cards for Music Notes, and I think we could have made it work, but oh well

Fry on
    We have unlocked lightning bolts and triforce. We approach the point where we've unlocked most things and I assume we kind of settle into favorites.

I'm the one who unlocked triforce and started one up. Spoiler free behind spoilers except feelings on how it feels.
    I will admit I'm not entirely thrilled with it so far but I think I need to figure it out. I'm coming off of octopus-face and having played mindthief to start, so this is a very different playstyle.

I disliked triforce. To fiddly to set up its actions.

Brief overview of my party's Triforce
    Our Analysis Paralysis player seems to be doing ok with it. I still can't parse the cards when I look at them.

His standard thing to do is to spend one turn enabling Fire and Leaf with his top and bottom actions (I think it's a Move 2 and a weak short-range AOE), then follow up with something that consumes Fire and Leaf for an Attack 5 Target 2 at range. Then he'll chug stamina potions to pick up those cards and repeat.

The other attack he uses frequently is Chain Lightning, which is a lost card but does a ton of damage to a bunch of enemies.

Seems like a class that would benefit from having another character generating a bunch of extra elements it doesn't use, but we haven't found a class like that yet. We do have other party members carrying Mana Potions to help out from time to time.