As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot GirlMimiga VillageRegistered User regular
edited August 2020 in Social Entropy++
Do you like giant robots?

6dhoK2k.jpg

Do you like plastic models of giant robots?

oEiGQ6dl.jpg

If so, welcome one and all to the fourth
(?!?) thread on building Gunpla (Gundam Plastic models), other models, and related hobbies! (Like painting minis... you nerd!)

I think most of you know the deal by now. If you have questions about which models to pick up (because you're new to the hobby and all) ask away! Also, we're happy to provide wisdom, assistance, and tips for newbie model makers. We are friendly folks here. And if you are an experienced model-builder and want an interesting challenge, we'll suggestions for you as well. Your wallet WILL weep though; Perfect Grades ain't cheap...

Eternally Useful Links:

Gunpla Modeling 101

A Layman's Gunpla Guide

Building for beginners

Curly_Brace on

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn27jQAuoWw

Tachiagare
    Tachiagare
    Tachiagare GANDAMU!

Curly_Brace on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Woo! New thread smell.

Been bouncing around between a few projects lately. I’m doing a full paint job (my first) on an astray red frame. A custom backpack on my Hg HMT Zaku .

And busted this bad boy out again to finally put his water slides on.

ohr70ifg2g9u.jpeg

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn27jQAuoWw

Tachiagare
    Tachiagare
    Tachiagare GANDAMU!

I kind of love these cheesy old themes. Like, I would be so disappointed if we ever get a live action Macross or Robotech movie and it doesn't at least have the fanfare from this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DiKK90uZlQ
    Also essential: the scene in the first or second episode where
    Hikaru has to open the cockpit canopy and lean out to catch Minmei out of freefall and pull her back in with him, then pull out of the dive before they pancake on the ground.
    That sequence pretty well encapsulates a lot of the themes and overall mood of Macross. If it's not in the trailer for a live action adaptation, then they've missed the whole fucking point imho.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I also finished the original gundam anime (which was rad but dated). I'm 15 episodes into Zeta which I'm really digging. AND I'm reading the Gundam Origin Books.

I dove in head first. Last year this time I had built one kit and only ever seen Gundam Wing 15 years ago.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    hearing the original japanese macross soundtrack is weird since they totally replaced the soundtrack with new original music for the robotech repackaging, which is the one I'm familiar with

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    I also finished the original gundam anime (which was rad but dated). I'm 15 episodes into Zeta which I'm really digging. AND I'm reading the Gundam Origin Books.

I dove in head first. Last year this time I had built one kit and only ever seen Gundam Wing 15 years ago.

Don't skip ZZ Gundam.

Some people will tell you otherwise. They are wrong.

The first 10ish episodes are a little rough, the other 40 are worth it.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Anyway, my project has arrived. And, I may have fucked up

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    ZZ Gundam made kitbashing canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXGInM6cBpc

steam_sig.png
    turtleant wrote: »
    Anyway, my project has arrived. And, I may have fucked up

good PSP for scale

BahamutZERO.gif
    Grove wrote: »

Don't skip ZZ Gundam.

Some people will tell you otherwise. They are wrong.

The first 10ish episodes are a little rough, the other 40 are worth it.

Oh I won't. I'm planning on watching everything eventually. Found a recommended watch guide and following that for order.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I kind of love these cheesy old themes. Like, I would be so disappointed if we ever get a live action Macross or Robotech movie and it doesn't at least have the fanfare from this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DiKK90uZlQ

You can't fool me, that is a theme from a James Bond movie!

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay new thread!

I posted this in D&D's chat thread, but I was waiting for the new thread to post it here:

Man. Finding display options for my newfound love of Perfect Grades is going to be... difficult.

MUsDVHKl.jpg

Ah well. Guess he has to live up on top of the shelves, exposed to the elements.

lTVVPs9l.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Can you tweak the pose a little to bring the weapons back? Maybe it's winding up for a hit with the sword, and the arm is up and back, with the sword tip pointing back? Or the windup is across the body, so the sword tip is above the left shoulder? If you sword-wind-up to the right, the left arm with the gun can probably be dramatically dipped down and left, palm facing out, barrel of the gun pointing off to the left? Or something?

This is all hypothetical, because I don't really know exactly how much space you've got, and that is definitely a big ol' boy.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not really. :) The wings are scraping the top of the display as is, the gun on the left has the arm back as far as I can take it, and the sword alone is almost bigger than the display space. It's fine where it is. New tenants have moved into the display case.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I guess this is a really sad and bitter commentary; when you gear up for war, you may find that you no longer have a place at home.

Well I started the Ex-S Gundam today, and it's my day off so woo many pictures!
    A'ight that's intimidating
    8uTpZ4e.jpg

Ok we good we good
    okSUzgE.jpg

Oh that's worrisome
    tysf8im.jpg

tfw the first step of your MG is putting together a PG base
    AqnRMZ2.jpg

Hell of a cockpit layout you got there, Ex-s
    J7AmA6Q.jpg

Pro-tier supervisor
    OZ98Q0O.jpg

S Gundam's core fighter is a completely separate unit, so you get to display it on it's own. Regular S Gundam has the 3 cockpits spread out like the ZZ, since it transforms into 2 planes + the core fighter. Ex-S just turns into one big angry space boat.
    3VMSD1K.jpgQDgYzXv.jpg

And waist unit done and decal-ed up. Stoppin there for today cause next is the legs and fffffffffff that's gonna be like a 2 day thing on their own.
    8Omz5i2.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
    we're really here for supervisor pictures tbh

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I've seen the box for the Ex-S in person years ago and I remember at the time thinking it looked like a lot to deal with.

Man I miss when that store had a cool gunpla shelf.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    like 80% of the reason I stopped buying gunpla is because I had nowhere to display or store them

BahamutZERO.gif
    like 80% of the reason I stopped buying gunpla is because I had nowhere to display or store them

I'm legit planning a bigger house buy... >.>

Good lord that model's gonna be wicked.

Athenor wrote: »

Wait, we talkin' like a new house that's a Gunpla?

Delduwath wrote: »

Nah. I am not going all Gundam Base Tokyo. But I would be lying if I didn't say one of my considerations in getting a new place is having a good display room or two that will be safe from the ravages of the sun and won't look like a cluttered mess.

It will be life sized White Base just to display Gunpla.

steam_sig.png
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    My friend said he saw Char in the shower once. Said Char has an eight pack, just shredded.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    My friend said he saw Char in the shower once. Said Char has an eight pack, just shredded.

That friend? Quattro Bajina.

711bq9noelef.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Aight fam, I'm about done with this dumbass IBO suit that I don't like and kinda just want to shelve. In the last thread I mentioned I have friggin ten kits in the backlog. So do me a solid and help me choose!

QFoyHA8.jpg
    First up is Team Smallbois, representing three different grades and something like ten years of tech.

We've got the HG RX-78-2 GFT, the grandaddy Gundam with some super minor unique stickers to represent Gundam Front Tokyo, the precursor to the modern The Gundam Base.

The RG RX-78-2, which I believe is the very first RG.

And the HGUC Hyaku-Shiki (Gold Coating), which I snagged last year at The Gundam Base during an unplanned trip to Tokyo.

CKyOEZ7.jpg
    Team P-Bandai, representing the very best of low volume, high price.

HGUC RX-124 Gundam TR-6 Woundwort, an excellent example of the absurdity of the Advance of Zeta designs.

MG RGM-79SP GM Sniper II (White Dingo Team), a personal white whale of mine from a game that never came out over here. Got this in a random shop in Akihabara during the same trip I got the Hyaku-Shiki. Incredibly it was well below market price too. Been on the hunt for this guy for years.

c3m0Kic.jpg
    Team Wait That's Not A Gundam

Representing some other mecha franchise, the probably HGUC equivalent but technically no grade Shinohara Heavy Industries AV-98 Ingram Patrol Labor.

EZkTq4I.jpg
    Team Fiddly Bits

MG GN-0000+GNR-010/XN 00 XN Raiser. It's the hero suit from 00! With more silly shit slapped on it! Why not have a mobile suit-sized sword?

MG MSN-06S Sinanju ver.Ka (Titanium Finish), the arguably not a hand grenade version of the Sinanju, with shiny red metallic armor that will probably be very irritating to snip out of the sprue without making bad stress marks!

Uihw2Kx.jpg
    Team EXTRA BIG

These boys are so big you can't even get all them in frame!

Here's the MG MSA-0011(Ext) Ex-S Gundam. For when the Superior Gundam isn't superior enough and needs actual goddamn starship engines slapped on the back, multiple mega particle cannons, a smart beam gun, INCOMM weapons, and an onboard AI cause fuck it, the Blue Destiny worked out pretty alright! It's almost like the arms race kicked off by the One Year War is just driving weapons tech toward making a single-operator war machine capable of ending humanity but hey whatever wow cool robot.

3eKdJ97.jpg
    The MG MSN-04 Sazabi ver.Ka (Special Coating). This was my big purchase from my first trip to Japan, and hauling this thing around for two weeks certainly took its toll on the box. This was also my introduction to the fact that The Gundam Base does exclusive kits. It's got the same shiny metal finish as the Sinanju, and will probably be a pain. It's also my favorite mobile suit design of all time.

I vote the White Dingo GM Sniper first.

Sazabi VerKa second.

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    - GFT RX-78-2
    - RG RX-78-2, to see the difference in detail
    - Woundworth
    - MG GM Sniper II
    - Patlabor
    then after that your backlog is halved, and then you can decide to go for shiny bois or big boys, depending on your mood

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    GM Sniperrr

tho maybe you could do the Ex-S to compare it with turtleant's 1.5

uc3ufTB.png
    My vote is HGUC Hyaku-Shiki (Gold Coating), because I'm guessing the gold will be a nightmare to get off the sprues without marks, so it might be nice to get it out of the way ASAP.

And then when you're done, you'll be able to hold it up like a trophy.

My vote is HGUC Hyaku-Shiki (Gold Coating), because I'm guessing the gold will be a nightmare to get off the sprues without marks, so it might be nice to get it out of the way ASAP.

I built the regular one a little while ago and iirc all the gold parts are undergated, so maybe not that bad.

But I also vote for Hyaku-Shiki. Get a quick little palet cleanser in there.

I am interested to see how the old Ex-S differs from the one I'm working on though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Hyaku-Shiki is a great Revive kit and has a bunch of undergates for the gold plating. I built the non-plated version earlier this year.

The Patlabor kit is very cool, but will be frustrating when you try to deal with the sleeve/dustguard things on the joints. Tip: maybe just grab black nitrile gloves and cut the fingers off it and into tubes rather than deal with the dumb plastic sleeves they provide. And when you're done snapping it together, slap some gunk wash all over it. It looks best when it's dirty.

As for what to do next, GM Sniper White Dingo.

Renzo on

I built the regular one a little while ago and iirc all the gold parts are undergated, so maybe not that bad.
    Oh, that's cool! I heard about some sets doing that, but didn't know the details.

I wonder why they don't undergate all parts on all kits. Is it that the design/manufacturing process becomes that much more difficult or expensive? Are they assuming that people enjoy sanding down the sprue nubs? It seems like putting all the gates on the hidden side of every part would be a huge win for everyone (except, I guess, the people who like to sand plastic).

edited April 2020
    The MG Hyaku Shiki 2.0 was undergated on everything they could and each runner was in its own plastic wrap so there wasn't anything to rub against during shipping. The antenna, beam saber handles, and the stabilizer wings were the only things you needed to go over with a gold gundam marker.

I say alternate between a big kit and a small kit and save the Sazabi ver.Ka for the big fuck yeah finale.

Edit: I know you got a different golden boi but they might of did the same.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    What are some good sites to order from?

YL9WnCY.png
    USAGundamstore and Gundamplanet are probably the 2 biggest US sites sign up for their newsletters and you will usually have a discount code for one them available. Amazon also has plenty of kits but it is mostly 3rd party sellers so you might not be getting Prime shipping speed and this includes Japanese sellers so you will want to compare sellers cause sometimes paying a buck more means waiting a week or less instead of a month or longer.

steam_sig.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Also, Amazon isn’t considering kits a priority right now. So even with Prime, it could take a week at minimum.

Yep 9 days after ordering it my MG Nu Gundam Ver.Ka finally shipped a couple hours ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm building the RG Gundam Mk. II and it has these mesh-wrapped power cables on the legs (maybe other parts too) and I cannot fucking wrangle these little things at all

This discussion has been closed.