As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your [job] is to hand me that report from a safe distance

DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of AwesomeRegistered User regular
Well I'm in week 5 of work from home and my moustache/goatee has finally moved past the awkward junior high level. Work has been surprisingly good about the whole WFH thing and we're still getting stuff done, so I imagine a few people will be lobbying to make this a more long term thing since it does save a pile of money and time on gas and commutes.

steam_sig.png

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    alt title: maybe oghulk finally gets a job in this thread

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    alt title: maybe oghulk finally gets a job in this thread

HAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

#sorry

steam_sig.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Got everything worked out, taking five days off starting this Friday.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm taking two days off, Thursday and Friday this week

My girlfriend and I are going to do some spring cleaning

It's probably going to rain both days.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Trying to get through to the state unemployment office (hahaha), because for reasons, I have to either withdraw or modify my claim, in a way that will probably result in me getting much less money.
    Joy.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    One benefit of wfh I finally took advantage of this morning, did some push-ups and body weight squats while I waited for the VPN to slowly load big files.

I mean, I suppose I could have done that in the office as well, but might have got some weird looks. Now only the cat can judge me.

• ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Today marks the last day of classes at the university where I work, which means almost all of the online instruction should be wrapping up today barring any last minute makeup or review sessions. Normally after today, things start to get pretty quiet as we move into finals week and Commencement week as I shift into working on Summer tasks and projects along with the occasional AV or Zoom call support. So far today, I know I'm going into the office for a few hours tomorrow, got a video conference call tomorrow morning, I asked to take Friday off fully from work, then in the office for a few hours next Monday and Tuesday. Beyond that, I'm not sure what role I will be playing for the next few months with non-essential, stay-at-home still in place up through this Friday (although there are whispers of being tasked to assess and do some spring cleaning of our classroom AV racks and podium systems, but who knows how long that will go for. A week or two, maybe?).

Yesterday, my IT director asked me and my manager to come up with an operational plan for our AV group in case we cannot bring on any student or temporary help during the evenings for the Fall semester. Gave a couple of scenarios to him, one being I work a four, 10-hour work week schedule Monday through Thursdays to cover the classes and events that go on in that time frame without the student/temp workers and I get Friday off, the least busy day, covered by my senior team members. It's a pretty flexible trade off, considering the other option I offered is to cram the classes that normally need evening AV/IT support into the regular school day and cut off recording and distance learning support by 6 PM, which would probably be a more logistical challenge for our Registrar and our non-day job adjunct faculty to schedule and teach.

We'll see how well the ideas go over.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    One benefit of wfh I finally took advantage of this morning, did some push-ups and body weight squats while I waited for the VPN to slowly load big files.

I mean, I suppose I could have done that in the office as well, but might have got some weird looks. Now only the cat can judge me.

The cat always judges you anyway.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    work from home benefit: can make a burger and put a fried egg on it and not care about the farts later

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    work from home benefit:

I can take care of my sick kid, while also sneezing a lot myself, and do the dishes and the laundry, and cook dinner.

Wait.

I think I misunderstood the question

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I like some things about work from home, I just wish I did a better job caring for family members who are dealing with stress. I definitely blew up at my spouse who was feeling poorly, not because I didn't plan to help, I did, but because I was frustrated and irritated with the situation And overwhelmed. Covid is the gift that keeps on giving.

steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yeah i've been WFH for over a year already. and I normally love it.

but it's a different experience having your kid and your spouse also home at the same time. and spouse is also working.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I have no idea how folks with kids are dealing with WFH when they also have to be a day care at the same time.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    lots and lots of screen time.

also my house looks like a small tornado went through.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    lots and lots of screen time.

also my house looks like a small tornado went through.

Tornado Ellie strikes again?

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    We work in 2ish hour shifts, one person works for 2 hours while the other takes care of the baby. Figure out who has specific times they have to be available for meetings and then plan our shifts accordingly. Luckily we haven't run into a meeting overlap yet. There's an added difficulty of the baby deciding they will only nap if they are moving in the car or in the stroller. Means there's never any down time before bedtime.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yes to lots of screentime

Although when it’s nice outside I turf the kids out in the backyard and they can usually entertain themselves there for an hour or two

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Well I've established from the last couple work Zoom meetings that only my boss and I are actually doing any work during the current shutdown. I'm still going to carry on because I'm learning some useful skills but I'm definitely going to stop beating myself up for not being super productive and for getting distracted easily.

we just got Ellie her own tablet. I mean she's 4 so yes it's a bit earlier than I ever intended.

but we've loaded it with some educational games and I've also put my Kindle account and I'm going to be moving some of my knitting patterns onto it so that whe Ellie is asleep and I want to knit in bed, I can do so with something larger than my phone screen.

We paid for a quick mahjong game for her, as my Mom taught her the concept of Mahjong when mom was here.

Ellie almost beat a full Butterfly layout last night, completely on her own. So I'm thinking this was a good plan

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Weeee, I applied for a job at a much better school (also where my wife works), week before last. She was poking around and found out that they're in a hiring freeze effective April 1st.

So, guess I'm gonna be waiting for a while. C'est la vie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Huh...
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Went and shelved books for three hours this morning. Talked to my first humans since March 15, so that was nice.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I had my door closed at the time, but yet again, guy trying to come into work who should have stayed home and called in. Comes into the room outside my office, "Hey so I was coughing this morning but I'm not coughing now"

I waited about half an hour after he left then went home. I'm done with these people.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Went and shelved books for three hours this morning. Talked to my first humans since March 15, so that was nice.

I would like to clarify that I do consider the brave workers at Taco Bell to be human, but I don't consider "Would you please be the accessory to my beef mistake" "Yes of course that will be twelve dollars please drive around" to be really talking to someone.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    work from home benefit: can make a burger and put a fried egg on it and not care about the farts later

someone came into my office a few weeks ago right after I let one rip and I was completely unapologetic about it, looking up and going "oh yeah that was me by the way"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

I would like to clarify that I do consider the brave workers at Taco Bell to be human, but I don't consider "Would you please be the accessory to my beef mistake" "Yes of course that will be twelve dollars please drive around" to be really talking to someone.

As a side to this I do treat people with respect no matter who they are so it's kind of known around this side of town
    the officers at the county lock up asked if I was the one that worked at Walmart when processing me then asked why I was in there and made fun of how petty the city was
    But at places like Carl's and BK they know I am understanding and respectful as I had to get dinner and well I used the drive thru at BK tonight
    I felt embarrassed since the only way they do curbside take out is if you have the app but I didn't know that but the employee handed me the bag watching me put it in my backpack and thanking me for being understanding about needing the app

Brainleech on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2020

I got positively giddy last weekend when I realised I can buy sunchokes without fear of social consequence.

tynic on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Homemade chicken soup with barley is my hyper-delicious "thank God I live alone" food

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Was told to take a 3rd day off whenever I want. Picked middle of the week because I know I will be fucked over covering something this weekend so fuck it.

Also enjoying quiet office time to work on documentation.....while mentally noting, "its in writing, motherfucker! Now do your fucking job!"

Also, how do you avoid spreading rumors about a toxic employee when said employee has been a dick to everyone so they almost all have first hand knowledge of said employee's dickishness?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Was told to take a 3rd day off whenever I want. Picked middle of the week because I know I will be fucked over covering something this weekend so fuck it.

Also enjoying quiet office time to work on documentation.....while mentally noting, "its in writing, motherfucker! Now do your fucking job!"

Also, how do you avoid spreading rumors about a toxic employee when said employee has been a dick to everyone so they almost all have first hand knowledge of said employee's dickishness?

Fire the dick?

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh for the little details. We just found out that all the aviation fuel cards we've sent out have had a letter attached that, instead of saying it expires 12/20, says that they expire in 1220.

Which could be a problem if people need them to escape from Genghiz Khan and the Mongol invasion.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Oh for the little details. We just found out that all the aviation fuel cards we've sent out have had a letter attached that, instead of saying it expires 12/20, says that they expire in 1220.

Which could be a problem if people need them to escape from Genghiz Khan and the Mongol invasion.

1220 under the Julian Calendar

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Looks like I won't be getting a payrise this year.

On the one hand, it's mildly demotivating to feel like we're busting a gut over here going through this massive increase in demand for social services and slamming it without the opportunity to be recognised in the usual manner for the significant effort and accomplishments we're managing to achieve under extraordinary pressure and stressful circumstances.

On the other hand, it's absolutely the right call; I'm not really in it for the money, I'm already well compensated, and as a public servant I enjoy stable, reliable employment, which is more than many other people have during times of crisis. All I really want is tangible evidence that the effort is recognised, and the affirmation of a job well done.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Very few people have access to my office.

My good pen that lives on top of my notebook when I'm here during the week is gone this morning.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Very few people have access to my office.

My good pen that lives on top of my notebook when I'm here during the week is gone this morning.

:bro:

Children's rights are human rights.
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »

On the one hand, it's mildly demotivating to feel like we're busting a gut over here going through this massive increase in demand for social services and slamming it without the opportunity to be recognised in the usual manner for the significant effort and accomplishments we're managing to achieve under extraordinary pressure and stressful circumstances.

On the other hand, it's absolutely the right call; I'm not really in it for the money, I'm already well compensated, and as a public servant I enjoy stable, reliable employment, which is more than many other people have during times of crisis. All I really want is tangible evidence that the effort is recognised, and the affirmation of a job well done.

Maybe a printed certificate and a pat on the back?

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So my company just updated its “flex work” policy with a ton of new info related to remote/wfh

Colleagues with good performance and roles that can be done remotely are able to get leadership approval for regular wfh, and with HR approval can be permanently remote (colleagues just need to pay to travel into the office as needed)

I just need to convince my boss to let me work from SoCal, and then convince any new bosses I get to let me stay out there. I’ll just need to fly to Columbus for a couple days every month.

I already have a place to live in Coronado...

My wife is wfh now too, and her company is based in Anaheim (she is an employee of the Columbus office)- she would just need to convince them to let her stay wfh and maybe drive up to the Anaheim office one day a week...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

@Fishman I can make you a tray thing if you want:

I think the wood choice was ah...not ideal, so thinking about doing another. Cover shipping and 2.0 is yours.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Poo Zealand?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I am considering applying for a new job. There's a business intelligence engineer position at a company that does video game streaming (yes that one) and while BI is not my favorite area it is kinda what I do now. Aside from their corporate overlords is there any other reason I should be wary?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Just got further update from work. We're definitely Wfh for at least the rest of May. Considering we're in Washington state I can't see them lifting this anytime soon.

This discussion has been closed.