As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just realized upon reloading that all my armor was like 4 levels below and I had skill points I hadn't used yet so I'm gonna admit this one's on me

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I maxed out the "regain HP when you deal damage" passive buff and would recommend everyone else do so as well.

I smoked Hades so fast on the second try when I had everything leveled and a +25% damage to bosses engraving

I'm in the final episode now

I've been digging these ones a lot but I don't think I share this dev team's fondness for sliding block puzzles in tombs

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The fate of atlantis is a very dreamlike experience in that nothing makes any sense and character motivations change rapidly, sometimes within the same scene

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I was disappointed that it wasn't boat focused to round out the "chapter has 1 of each of the pillars" thing but it made up for that with loads of delicious Izu lore drops.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    -Tal wrote: »
    The fate of atlantis is a very dreamlike experience in that nothing makes any sense and character motivations change rapidly, sometimes within the same scene

Despite having the blandest scenery, the Hades section of the DLC was the best because it gave you more interactions with characters that were actually well-written and you had some attachment to.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Having just finished a vacation in London, I decided to repurchase and replay AssSyn

I remember thinking it was way better than anyone was giving it credit for, and I'm excited to see if that holds true

I also bought the season pass finally, so I'll get to play those missions! I hope the Jack the Ripper stuff is just the detective missions from the main game, but more

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    If you want more detective stuff, the not-Holmes dlc that's not part of the season pass is your bag (or I think it's maybe free for ps4?, it was the platform "exclusive" content at least) I played it because it was accidentally free for a weekend at random and yeah it's pretty good.

That said I did quite like the Ripper stuff as well because it managed to avoid the obvious route I was expecting.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I did not enjoy the Ripper stuff, but the rest of it was good.

the Ripper expansion was really disappointing to me, though older Evie icing guys with chakrams ruled

Been playing through the AC3 remaster and yeah I still really like it.

Except..

Optional objectives can do one, especially the two great tastes of "Sink this ship with a weakpoint kill-lol it's a bit weak so you just killed it with cannons you absolute fool what are you doing!" and "Main objective-Escape the area. Hit the water off the dock-You messed up there's another optional objective that didn't actually get any screen time but it's here on the result screen ha, gotcha". So glad the series got away from that bit of design.

But the Homestead makes up for it and little details like hey man don't touch my shoulder are just lovely.

7qmGNt5.png
    as assassin's creed 2020: vikings is due to be revealed soon it seems, what particular aspect of the viking age would folks most like to see

the most common theme in the rumors is that it will focus on the Great Heathen Army of 865–878

PNk1Ml4.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I hope it's about that one techno viking from that popular internet video

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It would be funny if they implied it was Vilings, but actually the defence of Finland in the 30s and 40s

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2020
    if the map is as expansive as some of the rumors say (entire north sea, british isles, scandanavia, rivers down to paris and rus') I'm just excited to see how nonsensical it is, like the river valley of ac rogue

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    Vinland Saga, the video game.
    After the first act, it's a farming simulator.

edited April 2020
    if there's one thing I'm 100% sure of it's that, set before leif erikson or not, there will be a sequence where you go to vinland and find or leave behind some isu shit, with probably a small tie-in to rogue

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Get weird with this shit.

Go full like, Pathfinder vikings meets Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen and also that one Chuck Jones Looney Tunes episode with the fat pony and Elmer Fudd and Bugs.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    And also some assassin shit I guess whatever.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Kratos cameo. (PlayStation exclusive, of course.)

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    if the map is as expansive as some of the rumors say (entire north sea, british isles, scandanavia, rivers down to paris and rus') I'm just excited to see how nonsensical it is, like the river valley of ac rogue

i am now very excited to see the whole of scotland compressed into a single map province that you can walk across in five minutes

if there's one thing I'm 100% sure of it's that, set before leif erikson or not, there will be a sequence where you go to vinland and find or leave behind some isu shit, with probably a small tie-in to rogue

the other thing that's absolutely guaranteed is there will be a sequence where you eat psychedelic mushrooms and fight something from norse mythology, probably the giant wolf

has there been a single ubisoft game without a hallucination boss battle yet?

oh yeah they're definitely going to continue the conceit of gods and creatures of myth existing via isu shit

PNk1Ml4.png
    they could probably do the whole thing just in anglo-saxon england, which covers about the same area as their maps of egypt and greece. and according to the map on wikipedia the vikings were all over it

but hopefully they will instead go completely mad with power and try to give us a full scale replica of europe. i would like there to be a whole middle section where you're a member of the varangian guard for about five minutes and then it is never mentioned again

the other thing that's absolutely guaranteed is there will be a sequence where you eat psychedelic mushrooms and fight something from norse mythology, probably the giant wolf

has there been a single ubisoft game without a hallucination boss battle yet?

The drug stuff is mostly far cry. Assassin's Creed does god stuff through isu whatnots and so on.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I hope they stick with the dual protagonist options of AC:Odd

Because playing as a viking dude sounds so mindnumbingly dull that I might actually skip a console AC game for the first time in my dang life. Playing as Lagertha, though, that I could maybe fuck with

I think you can do a broad area of europe if you don't do expansive inland areas and instead focus on coasts and rivers. think ac4 where the whole island of cuba is on the map but you're only accessing a few coastal areas

PNk1Ml4.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    if I cannot pillage the English no sale

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    the leaked info said there would be dual male and female protagonists so if you believe the leak it should be fine

While I’ve always hated the isu storyline Odyssey used it so well that it turned me around on the whole thing. Turns out the way you make ancient precursor race of aliens exciting is by using them as an excuse to fight mythical creatures, gods and characters of legend in your otherwise historically grounded games

edited April 2020
    I am hoping for a single sidequest that references AC Odyssey (end of that game spoilers)
    Shieldmaiden Kassandra who somehow recognises you for what you are

I really need to watch Vikings sometime though

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    It's been a stream of someone working on art in Photoshop for a while now

I love that this is just a sponsored art stream for the key art, and I love the poor saps that are doing live reaction videos to this

PNk1Ml4.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I hope they stick with the dual protagonist options of AC:Odd

Because playing as a viking dude sounds so mindnumbingly dull that I might actually skip a console AC game for the first time in my dang life. Playing as Lagertha, though, that I could maybe fuck with

The game director of Odyssey said that going forward he wanted all AC games to have a choice of protagonist, and since then every Ubisoft game has, so it's pretty likely to happen.

Aistan on
    hmm the rumors yesterday said a reveal would drop aroung 10am pst but it seems like there's well over an hour of painting left to do, he's still working on the background characters and hasn't started the protagonist besides the silhouette. a streamer said they would have something at 12pm pst which seems like it would line up with this painting being done.

some notes so far are that the protagonist's face is not going to be in the key art, which brings to mind the rumor of ac going even more rpg and having a fully customizable protagonist. it's not clear whether they're facing forward or backward but they do seem to be wearing heavy armor and if this is in the classic "hero's back" genre of cover art that would keep their gender ambiguous

the castle is a style of norman architecture which only started being built in the mid 11th century, suggesting this is late in the viking age. but also ubisoft has always played fast and loose with architecture so they could just put them in earlier. but i guess normandy confirmed

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hmm.

I don't like the idea of a "fully customizable protagonist" at all here, because that typically means generic. We have games like that. Skyrim. Etc. And I love them. But Assassin's Creed doesn't need that.

Assassin's Creed is powerful primarily, in my opinion, because of it's very specifically powerful characters. Ezio, Altair, Kassandra, even Connor (who I don't personally like) is a specifically constructed character. I can't imagine Any of the previous games being half as interesting if you started off with some kind of Make-An-Assassin character designer.

Half the reason I hate Fallout 4 (okay, 99% of the reason) is because they did the opposite (sort of) and gave a voice to the blank slate protagonist, making him or her sound like a damned idiot. The two things just don't work well in tandem.

I mean, I dunno. Maybe they have come up with a way to allow that cosmetic freedom while still providing a very specific character experience. I mean, Mass Effect sort of did that, but you still had a relatively large amount of freedom in how you developed your character's personality. I don't really want that in AC. You can make dialogue choices in Odyssey, but Kassandra is still Kassandra with little deviation. It doesn't really diverge from the formula that started with Altair and improved with Ezio - centering the game around a very strong, well-designed protagonist.

Hmm.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    they already crossed the bridge of dialogue options, which affects the story far more than facial customization. i'm sure they will have two defaults that look good

PNk1Ml4.png
    One thing that I found to be a drawback to Odyssey's dialogue trees was that for whatever reason, rather than have the music be dynamic where it would shift upon choosing lines, they just have the [emotion intended] theme play on a loop during the cutscenes regardless of how long players spend choosing their option, which meant that during several major points in the plot I would have the music doing the big "STING OF MUSIC TO PUNCTUATE LINE" thing before anyone even says anything.

I think that this time they should make the dialogue options well-written, instead of poorly-written

PNk1Ml4.png