As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    -Tal wrote: »
    they already crossed the bridge of dialogue options, which affects the story far more than facial customization. i'm sure they will have two defaults that look good

I admit I have not finished Odyssey yet, but I feel like Kassandra doesn't really change as a character through the decisions she (you) makes in the game through dialogue, I feel that the plot may change somewhat, but not Kassandra. There's a difference. In Mass Effect, Shepard significantly changes depending on your dialogue. That doesn't really happen here. Kassandra really seems to stay Kassandra no matter what she decides from decision point to decision point. I assume Alexios is the same.

I dunno, is there any merit to what I'm saying? Maybe I'm off-base - I haven't played in a long time.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I hope that whenever and wherever it is set, that they bring back Testikles

The dialogue choices never influenced the MAIN plot, but they impacted how sidequests ended. And you would often run into little epilogue events, where somebody would be like, "Because you shook me down for coin, I couldn't afford my mother's butt medicine! Have at you!"

It was never load bearing, but it had a bit o' flavor.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I hope that whenever and wherever it is set, that they bring back Testikles

testikles was one of the earliest leaks for odyssey, and everybody thought it was an obvious fake because it described the entire testikles questline, at that point called testikules

a fun read https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/8od103/why_i_believe_the_twitter_leak_is_fake/

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    when will the cowards at ubisoft give players the boxer rebellion china assassin's creed game we DESERVE

also this is very much me showing my personal bias here but, Judea during the Maccabee rebellion, come one, come ON, you already cast Byzantium as the bad guys during Revelations, fucking COMMIT

wY6K6Jb.gif
    The dialogue choices never influenced the MAIN plot, but they impacted how sidequests ended. And you would often run into little epilogue events, where somebody would be like, "Because you shook me down for coin, I couldn't afford my mother's butt medicine! Have at you!"

Right and I also feel like they didn't significantly impact Kassandra's character either. They were flavor, but not a significant aspect of the game.

Drez wrote: »

Right and I also feel like they didn't significantly impact Kassandra's character either. They were flavor, but not a significant aspect of the game.

I guess it depends on how you view "significant." I love flavor, and I prefer small moments to big ones. I also like using those decisions, those outcomes, as a lens through which to view how the character acts elsewhere (even if I have to do a bit of that work in my imagination).

Everyone's tastes vary, of course, and that's fine.

when will the cowards at ubisoft give players the boxer rebellion china assassin's creed game we DESERVE

also this is very much me showing my personal bias here but, Judea during the Maccabee rebellion, come one, come ON, you already cast Byzantium as the bad guys during Revelations, fucking COMMIT

Like when Muhammad Ali defeated George Foreman?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Will would you say you're a resident of Flavortown

edited April 2020
    they already crossed the bridge of dialogue options, which affects the story far more than facial customization. i'm sure they will have two defaults that look good

I admit I have not finished Odyssey yet, but I feel like Kassandra doesn't really change as a character through the decisions she (you) makes in the game through dialogue, I feel that the plot may change somewhat, but not Kassandra. There's a difference. In Mass Effect, Shepard significantly changes depending on your dialogue. That doesn't really happen here. Kassandra really seems to stay Kassandra no matter what she decides from decision point to decision point. I assume Alexios is the same.

I dunno, is there any merit to what I'm saying? Maybe I'm off-base - I haven't played in a long time.

I would say one of my main complaints about odyssey is that kassandra does not have a consistent, well-defined character

I don't think that's the fault of dialogue choices existing, plenty of games with dialogue choices have good protagonists, I think the bigger issues are the fact that kassandra is capricious and unreliable by virtue of being an open world rpg hero but everyone acts like she's a dear friend, and the bizarre moments where you don't get a choice like kassandra falling in love with some punk and having a baby

one of the reasons edward kenway is one of my favorites is that his personality is a perfect complement to the way you actually play assassin's creed, which is raiding bases for treasure. that's also why I think vikings are a good setting so long as assassin's creed continues to be about raiding bases for treasure

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png

I guess it depends on how you view "significant." I love flavor, and I prefer small moments to big ones. I also like using those decisions, those outcomes, as a lens through which to view how the character acts elsewhere (even if I have to do a bit of that work in my imagination).

Everyone's tastes vary, of course, and that's fine.

I was mostly just trying to understand your point. I wasn't sure if you were agreeing with me or disagreeing with me. I assumed you were disagreeing with me, but I wanted to be sure ;)

(said with love)

I would say one of my main complaints about odyssey is that kassandra does not have a consistent, well-defined character

I don't think that's the fault of dialogue choices existing, plenty of games with dialogue choices have good protagonists, I think the bigger issues are the fact that kassandra is capricious and unreliable by virtue of being an open world rpg hero but everyone acts like she's a dear friend, and the bizarre moments where you don't get a choice like kassandra falling in love with some punk and having a baby

one of the reasons edward kenway is one of my favorites is that his personality is a perfect complement to the way you actually play assassin's creed, which is raiding bases for treasure. that's also why I think vikings are a good setting so long as assassin's creed continues to be about raiding bases for treasure

I mean, that's fair, too, but I do think the Odyssey protags are not blank slates - their personalities, shapeable and even interpretable to the degree they are, all fit within a rough personality margin.

My point was really this:

Pre-Odyssey AC protagonists such as Shay, Ezio, Edward, Altair, Connor, Evie, Jacob, Bayek, maybe Arno (nah, fuck Arno) = fully realized, well defined
    Odyssey: Kassandra and Alexios are somewhat shapeable and interpretative
    Fully customizable protagonist: Probably going to go much further away from the pre-Odyssey direction

At least, that's my feeling.

But maybe I'm wrong and, even if the next game does have a fully-customizable protagonist it won't be as I suggest it may be.

I just feel like, in the past, "fully-customizable protagonist" has described a certain subset of games that don't have very specifically designed characters. I think the AC2 trilogy and Ezio work so well because the designers sclupted Ezio in a specific way, and I feel the game and the character would have been worse with too much of the player's input or even freedom of interpretation. That's one of the reasons I like the Ezio trilogy.

I just personally want the game to have more specifically-designed characters than move closer to the Skyrim-type silent, interpretative protagonist model.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    give me all the silent protags. i love em

DarkPrimus wrote: »

This can't be true. Assassin's Creed came out in 2007. I assume the 12th century occurred around 1998.

edited April 2020
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I can't believe I'm now falling into the "No true Assassin's Creed" camp espoused by Odyssey-haters (whom I personally denounce), but...why in this series? Why can't Ubisoft go make a new IP and explore that type of game in a different IP?

I mean, even Connor (who I have admittedly been hypercritical of in the past) is a well-defined character. He's probably the most silent of all the AC protagonists, but he is at least a very specifically designed character in line with the rest of the games.

I love Fallout and Skyrim type games where you can define the character or put your own personality into the character as you see fit. Why does that need to replace the well-defined character tropes of Assassin's Creed.

edit: To be clear, I'm referring to this currently fictional, as-of-yet unconfirmed "fully customizable protagonist" future design which may not be true.

edit 2: One of the biggest failures of Fallout 4 was the character having a literal voice.

Drez on
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    In 2020 years 2007 was 3045 years ago.

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed reveal stream: watch us make this game in real-time!

steam_sig.png
    Polls to let viewers help make the game!

Should this side character:
    A) Make out with you
    B) Getting eaten by a shark
    C) Make out with the shark

steam_sig.png
    The last AssCreed game I played (somewhat) was Origins and Bayek is my homie dude just wants to bang his hot wife and play with kids. I'd rather Ubisoft stick to that formula of character creation, having unique and well defined protagonists with their own personalities and quirks, than letting me make my own dude.

That particular style of story telling just works better for these games.

And you can still have choices and actions that effect your playthrough while still keeping the nuances of the character consistent. RDR 2 did a good job of that. I think anyway. I'm physically incapable of playing Arthur Morgan as anything other than a gruff loveable cowpoke who sometimes has to shoot folk but he feels bad about it.

I can't believe I'm now falling into the "No true Assassin's Creed" camp espoused by Odyssey-haters (whom I personally denounce), but...why in this series?

because video game stories are all awful. just give me the gameplay and a skip all cutscenes and dialogue option

Veagle wrote: »

A) Make out with you

C

Veagle wrote: »

A) Make out with you

C

It's in the game!

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

This can't be true. Assassin's Creed came out in 2007. I assume the 12th century occurred around 1998.

Haha, let me just check... oh my god, the 12th century was how long ago?! *crumbles into dust*

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    My opinion is that if I can define the character, let me define the character. Be consistent in that; if I get to make small choices, then let me have big choices too.
    If not, go with the pre-defined character. By and large, this series has been good with that. Keep going, it's fine! But don't give me half measures.

edited April 2020
    stream is done

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is the name, trailer tomorrow at 8am PDT

YuydF9Wj_400x400.jpg
    ea3uUKi.jpg

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I did google searches for "when were vikings" and "when were castles" and those times intersect at 1066 so based on this research William the Conqueror confirmed.

edited April 2020
    Let me be a goth and kick the shit out of Romans.

Juggernut on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am down with vikings but god if you don't let me play a badass warrior lady after giving me Kassandra I will be so grumpy

CYpGAPn.png
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I have never been this excited about a game I've known about for two years

That double-axe assassin's logo is pretty fuckin' slick

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I love that twin-axe version of the Assassin logo

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I would love to be the art team that just figures out how to make Assassin logos out of historically available objects

Grey Ghost on
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Gonna torch so many monasteries, I can't wait

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    love to murder the british

liEt3nH.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am super keen to hear the new theme song because the last couple have been absolute bangers

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to being a badass viking who confounds the British by bathing regularly.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Is it weird that I’m almost looking forward to the History Lesson modes of these games more than the actual game itself these days?

Cuz man, the narrated tour modes they did for Origins and Odyssey both ruled.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    love to murder the british

They weren't british yet, technically.