As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    you're being obtuse

this was some weird non-highlander freeze mage variant i ran into, i was hanar rogue with multiple picked up counterspells and he ran out of ray of frost to test counterspell with because i had constant minion pressure

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Fun deck that Ike posted.

### Highlander
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Standard
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 1x (1) Imprisoned Sungill
    # 1x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
    # 1x (1) Murmy
    # 1x (1) Righteous Cause
    # 1x (1) Sand Breath
    # 1x (1) Toxfin
    # 1x (2) Air Raid
    # 1x (2) Argent Protector
    # 1x (2) Fishflinger
    # 1x (2) Hand of A'dal
    # 1x (2) Micro Mummy
    # 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
    # 1x (2) Murloc Tidehunter
    # 1x (2) Sir Finley of the Sands
    # 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
    # 1x (3) Coldlight Seer
    # 1x (3) Murloc Warleader
    # 1x (3) Underlight Angling Rod
    # 1x (4) Blessing of Kings
    # 1x (4) Consecration
    # 1x (4) Evasive Feywing
    # 1x (4) Felfin Navigator
    # 1x (4) Truesilver Champion
    # 1x (5) Scalelord
    # 1x (5) Skyfin
    # 1x (6) Dragonmaw Sky Stalker
    # 1x (6) Evasive Wyrm
    # 1x (7) High Inquisitor Whitemane
    # 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
    # 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
    #
    AAECAaToAh7FA9sD3APPBvoGrwfQB/4Hpwi1mAODoQPFoQP8owOvpwPKqwO4rAOMrQOdrgP+sAP/sAOFsQORsQOWtgPIuAPJuAP2uAP7uAP8uAPivgPKwQMAAA==

He ran Argent Commander instead of Feywing. I go back and forth on it as the 5 damage rush + no targeting is good but AC is charge so you can just go face. I've enjoyed the deck as it's different and I still need to grind Pally wins. Plus Sir Finley just rocks. If you get him against Aggro it's great for heals/armor and if you get him against control it's great for more damage.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    After crying about my failed legend attempts last page, i took some time to reflect on the whole situation…

I told myself, "shame on you!, if uncle Dibby can do it, so can you!".

So i grabbed my nutballs and straight up yelled at myself: "You too, can pilot an absolutely broken deck into a heavy dilluted legendary pool!"

and so i did:

KY1eEIy.jpg

7a2Xnp4.jpg

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    48k, damn

i entered legend at 1300 and have free fallen to 20k on my main account

• Options
    edited April 2020
    list used was DIbby's demon hunter -1 Maev (didn't have him, sorry her) and +1 consume magic, which seemed jus as good, if not better for the carddraw.

Most farmed were hunters and priests:

Ua3RPuE.png

Legendary was Nat Pagle ofcourse.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Maiev is a lady, thank u very much

Congrats tho @bwanie!! Uncle Dibby is very proud of u gj gj gj

And yeah Maiev is a flex slot, you can run anything there. Some people run Ooze, you can run the Silence spell, Mana Burn is good too.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    aah darn it, so sorry Maev M'lady.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway given that the dust has (mostly) settled I have Thoughts about Demon Hunter now

First off: They absolutely 2000% overshot the class's balance on purpose. Y'know how everyone was like "how did this make it past testing?? Didn't anyone say anything????" They did and it was ignored, I guarantee you. Because they wanted people playing it and coming back for it and ultimately buying packs because of it. Nothing makes a bigger splash than "YO DAWG YOU HEAR THEY MADE A NEW CLASS IN HEARTHSTONE? IT'S DEMON HUNTER DAWG IT'S OP AS SHIT COME PLAY THIS SHIT BRO"

That's the only logical explanation. They knew. I don't think they had the nerfs preplanned but I do think they launched DH knowing it would need nerfs almost right away.

Secondly: I'm not sure if DH is fun because it's fun or fun because it's broken. The latter most likely. It's braindead, pilots itself, there's no thinking involved, cards are busted and for the most part kind of boring design-wise. Like cool a 1 drop grower. A minion that summons tokens when you attack. Weapons. Attack buffs. Draw. Ok. The cooler more interesting cards to me are the ones like Priestess or Antaen but those are also broken as fuck.

Third: I think Control DH could exist in a slower meta, but this ain't it and also why run that when the aggro list is just plain better. It's a shame cause there are some good Control cards, they just won't really see play.

Fourth: I'm mostly interested in the future of DH cause DH right now is... boring. It's effective and strong but braindead and boring. I'm very curious how they'll define the Class Identity for DH going forward and if they'll stick to it at all.

thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

fuck demon hunters

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Pretty much. I had zero fun.

I wish secret rogue or no minion mage would have gotten me there.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    oh and final addendum: the meta still isn't where it should be and there needs to be more nerfs and it sucks that DH is still choking out the meta and preventing a lot of decks from seeing play. DH should be good but not so good that it warps the meta.

look i dunno. i just wanna play Oops! All Spells and not get run over in the first four fucking turns. or what about Pure Paladin can i play that. please.

i'm also worried about Galakrond and Highlander going forward because those cards are so absurdly strong that they might be in every single deck this year.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    DH being broken bullshit on release was 100% intended as a cash grab to get people to preorder

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    DH being broken bullshit on release was 100% intended as a cash grab to get people to preorder

Also it's bothersome as you don't have the heal of Zilliax for all the classes anymore. It's rough as the DH just continues to burn you down and if you don't have any heal you are probably dead. Plus the Princess is nuts as it's a HUGE body at 6/7 plus it can clear the board with the 6 plus it can go face with the 6.

If you look at the other 7 drops of the other classes there isn't anything that compares with it.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Also it's bothersome as you don't have the heal of Zilliax for all the classes anymore. It's rough as the DH just continues to burn you down and if you don't have any heal you are probably dead. Plus the Princess is nuts as it's a HUGE body at 6/7 plus it can clear the board with the 6 plus it can go face with the 6.

If you look at the other 7 drops of the other classes there isn't anything that compares with it.

Khartut is still in, at least, but at 6 mana and not being on-demand healing it's a bit riskier and too slow for midrange and tempo decks. RIP Lifedrinker.

Healing options do feel a bit sparse at the mome, which is maybe partially why the meta is so fast.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    this deck is legit

### Gala
    # Class: Priest
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 2x (1) Disciple of Galakrond
    # 2x (1) Holy Smite
    # 2x (1) Renew
    # 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
    # 2x (2) Penance
    # 2x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver
    # 1x (2) Shadow Word: Death
    # 1x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
    # 2x (2) Thoughtsteal
    # 1x (2) Wild Pyromancer
    # 2x (3) Apotheosis
    # 1x (3) Madame Lazul
    # 2x (3) Shadow Madness
    # 2x (4) Fate Weaver
    # 2x (5) Shield of Galakrond
    # 2x (5) Time Rip
    # 1x (6) Kronx Dragonhoof
    # 1x (7) Galakrond, the Unspeakable
    # 1x (7) Soul Mirror
    #
    AAECAaCsAwiKB/YH0wrXCuubA+O0A8i+A8jAAwse3AGXApmpA9esA9qsA/6uA82vA5O6A5u6A6+6AwA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

PS i've had more rage adds with this deck than all my other decks combined

Beasteh on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    bwanie wrote: »
    list used was DIbby's demon hunter -1 Maev (didn't have him, sorry her) and +1 consume magic, which seemed jus as good, if not better for the carddraw.

Most farmed were hunters and priests:

Legendary was Nat Pagle ofcourse.
    VINDICATION!

forty on
  • Options
    DH could be the worst class and it would still be getting played a disproportionate amount right now simply because it's a new class, and it has a new XP bar to fill and a new 500/1,000 win milestone for all the OCD players to push for.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i don't trust any of y'all who have more than one 500 win class

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'm probably getting my fifth class to 1k wins next month. And my Warlock is over 2k.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    I still have less than one 500 win class.

However, I did finally get some of my first level 60 classes somewhat recently. I imagine in a couple months or so I'll have all the original 9 to 60.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    i don't trust any of y'all who have more than one 500 win class

i have 7.

sorry that i'm too fucking bougie for you

fucking peasant

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the only class i have more than 500 wins on is Mage and you better believe it's because of Flamewaker

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Praise Yogg

• Options
    this deck is legit

### Gala
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 2x (1) Disciple of Galakrond
    # 2x (1) Holy Smite
    # 2x (1) Renew
    # 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
    # 2x (2) Penance
    # 2x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver
    # 1x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
    # 2x (2) Thoughtsteal
    # 1x (2) Wild Pyromancer
    # 2x (3) Apotheosis
    # 1x (3) Madame Lazul
    # 2x (3) Shadow Madness
    # 2x (4) Fate Weaver
    # 2x (5) Shield of Galakrond
    # 2x (5) Time Rip
    # 1x (7) Soul Mirror
    #
    AAECAaCsAwiKB/YH0wrXCuubA+O0A8i+A8jAAwse3AGXApmpA9esA9qsA/6uA82vA5O6A5u6A6+6AwA=
    #
    # To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

PS i've had more rage adds with this deck than all my other decks combined

tcssUeL.png

yeah okay this deck's a fuckin' hoot

i don't have lazul so i cut that plus ooze and slapped in two holy novas (gotta have SOME early clear)

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Legends of Runeterra just launched today on PC and mobile. Seriously, everyone should give it a try. It’s fantastic. Join us in the LoR thread if you want to learn more about the game or just talk it up.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/230671/legends-of-runeterra-leaves-beta-at-the-end-of-april#latest

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    HOW TO MAKE A DEMON HUNTER UNINSTALL: A STORY IN FOUR ACTS

MBKUwij.jpg
    tKnjkET.jpg
    s78gDKq.jpg
    How5WEe.jpg

Highlander Priest is my new favorite deck of the moment. What a fucking riot.

Also Baron Geddon goes great with Apotheosis. :winky:

Decklist if anyone wants!

### Highlander Priest
    # Year of the Phoenix
    #
    # 1x (1) Cleric of Scales
    # 1x (1) Holy Smite
    # 1x (1) Imprisoned Homunculus
    # 1x (1) Reliquary of Souls
    # 1x (1) Renew
    # 1x (2) Dragonmaw Sentinel
    # 1x (2) Penance
    # 1x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver
    # 1x (2) Thoughtsteal
    # 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
    # 1x (3) Apotheosis
    # 1x (3) Breath of the Infinite
    # 1x (3) Overconfident Orc
    # 1x (4) Bone Wraith
    # 1x (4) Holy Nova
    # 1x (4) Shadow Word: Ruin
    # 1x (4) Twilight Drake
    # 1x (5) Big Ol' Whelp
    # 1x (5) Chronobreaker
    # 1x (5) Psyche Split
    # 1x (6) Aeon Reaver
    # 1x (7) Baron Geddon
    # 1x (7) Skeletal Dragon
    # 1x (7) Soul Mirror
    # 1x (8) Murozond the Infinite
    # 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
    # 1x (9) Plague of Death
    #
    AAECAa0GHh6XAtACyQaNCNMK/KMD8qUDmakDn6kD3KwD8qwD57ADjrEDkbED47QDmLYDmbYDk7oDlroDm7oDr7oDsLoDuLoDyL4Dzr4D5r4DyMAD2MIDptUDAAA=

I have neither Lazul nor Kaahrj so I found a list that has neither. S'fun. Psyche Split is a much better card than I thought! Geddon's in there to deal with Spell Druid but he's also just good, and works well with Apotheosis as I mentioned. You lack draw, though, so...

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    twa231v03vb5.png

I got to Platinum. Is this the new Dad legend or is there another tier to go?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dad legend is now Diamond 5, as that’s the point you no longer get your star bonus. Keep on pushing!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    orFN34i.png

real talk: geddon+apotheosis is my SECRET FUCKING TECH

i was in single digits health before i hit the "end turn" button

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    this pretty much voices every one of my concerns with DH and why I've just totally cooled on ladder after hitting the easiest legend of my hearthstone career

DH just does everything so much better than every other class even after two waves of nerfs

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/ga9arh/the_demon_hunter_effect_how_it_dictates/

• Options
    this pretty much voices every one of my concerns with DH and why I've just totally cooled on ladder after hitting the easiest legend of my hearthstone career

DH just does everything so much better than every other class even after two waves of nerfs

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/ga9arh/the_demon_hunter_effect_how_it_dictates/

I was gonna post that myself! But I didn't wanna double post.

Anyway, the part that really spoke to me wasn't even the original post, it was this comment from someone else:
    The funny thing is that you could just keep going with the examples of overpowered DH cards that aren't even used right now.

You have a 2 card combo that's essentially "summon three 1/1 with rush, draw 3 cards" for 5 mana.

You have a 2 card combo that's essentially "summon six 1/1 with rush, draw 6 cards" for 7 mana. 6 cards, for 7 mana!

You have a flamestrike for 5 mana.

You have a 2 card combo that's "summon six 1/1 with rush, a 3/1, and deal 3 damage to a random enemy six times" for 8 mana. That's 18 damage plus 6 damage to minions. From nothing, with just 2 cards.

You have a 4 mana 5/3 that deals 5 damage to a minion.

You have a 2/6 taunt that will essentially kill an aggro board on his own unless he's killed with by a spell, for 5 mana.

And then there's the big demon package that absolutely no one plays. Summon a demon from your deck guaranteed for 9 mana, on top of a 7/9 body. A 8/3 voidcaller that has to be dealt with the next turn or it does 8 face damage.

The power level of the class is insane, seriously.

like think about that for a second

think about all the cards that DH isn't using.

think about coilfang warlord:
    THANK YOU. The example I go to for this is Coilfang. You get 28 stats for 8 mana. What the actual fuck? That so blatantly violates basic hearthstone physics and balance. As an example, a vanilla 8 drop should have 17 stats. So this is ELEVEN stats (which equals a vanilla 5 drop) better than a vanilla 8 drop. Another way of putting it: this would have to cost 13 mana to be a vanilla card. Yet ANOTHER way of putting it, that means the only way this card could exist and be a vanilla card is if you made it a Shaman card that cost 10 mana and overloaded for 3. Fittingly, this card and Eye of the Storm almost completely neutralize one another (they almost completely trade into one another, and Eye of the Storm gives 33 stats as opposed to 28, but with no initiative).

Compare Coilfang to Firelands Portal, a very good card when it came out. Dealt 5 damage and gave you a random 5 drop. This deals 9 damage and gives you 5/9 taunt, which is worth at least 7 if not 8 mana. All for the HUGE downside of paying 1 more mana.

Compare it to Pit Croc. Deals 5 damage and gives you a 5/6. Same cost as Coilfang. And Pit Croc is a decent card (very good Arena, which I think is a good way to analyze a card’s strength in a vacuum, even tho it has never found a home in constructed).

Now, both of those cards can target face, while Coilfang cannot. Did Blizzard really think that was enough to make up for giving Coilfang 4 more damage, 3 more health, and taunt as compared to Pit Croc? It’s just truly mind boggling.

And like you said, this is an example of a card THAT DOESNT EVEN SEE PLAY RIGHT NOW. Not because it’s not good, but because it can’t even make a list of DHs top cards.

think about THIS:
    They didn't think to put skull in their aggro lists during balance testing (when it was 5 mana). I'm dead serious, they admitted to that. They may not be capable of balancing the game to be honest. They need more professional help during the balancing process.

which is true: https://www.newsweek.com/hearthstone-lead-developer-pushed-demon-hunter-limit-1498399

just lmfao at this shit:
    "The first couple hours [of release] were like, wow this is really exciting, Demon Hunter is really powerful and really fun to play," Senior Game Designer Dean Ayala told Newsweek. "And then by the third and fourth hour we were like, 'It's actually really, really powerful.' And then I think by midday everyone is kinda like, 'Okay, this is clearly more powerful than everything else, like, what's going on here?'"
    Among the day one nerfs, Skull of Gul'dan stands a head above the rest. The card was created to be a "fun" card draw engine that utilized the Outcast mechanic introduced in the expansion. During play testing, the Skull was placed in higher-cost Demon decks and wasn't activating its Outcast effect that consistently. But on day one of release, players gravitated towards the low-cost aggressive versions of class decks, making the Warlock's cranium a consistent value engine.

"It was a really fun card and I think that everyone that played it, or everyone that played that deck, saw it as something that they were kind of excited to cast," Ayala said. "So we wanted to push it to the limit for those reasons and it ended up not really working out."

like alright

i like that they're pushing the bounds of Hearthstone and trying NEW SHIT and going in this bold new direction but goddamn are you fucking shitting me with "well gee we didn't think aggro decks would run Skull at all, we weren't testing that"

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    why does gul'dan have two skulls anyway

alt draenor gul'dan?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    why does gul'dan have two skulls anyway

alt draenor gul'dan?

I'm thinking alt timeline Gul'dan and prime Gul'dan, yeah.

Fucking lol that they didn't put Skull in an aggro deck though, jesus christ.

• Options
    He's got a bunch of extras on his back:

TdSaycT.jpg?1

Does he make a comment when you play it against him? I remember some of the Classic cards had dialogue like Cairne against Garrosh.

• Options
    Anyway fuck Standard for now it's all bout that Battlegrounds life

and speaking of

EWudw-FX0AIcBN4.png

Hoo boy this was the most unorthodox BG game I've ever played!! I picked Reno for shits and gigs (never had a good run with him and wanted to make him work). Was pretty ahead on board but it was looking like I couldn't afford to be greedy and wait for a Brann or Rivendare. So, I found something else. Iron Sensei! Golden Iron Sensei is fucking nuts. That card is worth SIX gold per turn. SIX GOLD PER TURN in terms the sheer value generation it provides. +4/+4 a turn is the same as buying two Screwjanks a turn. That scales up VERY FUCKING FAST. I already had a Golden Kaboom sitting pretty so I figured sure, this is a good target to use my HP on.

And boy was it. I found a Razorgore off a Triple, I found a Hangry, I found a 2nd Razorgore and I just starting pumping. Four growers on board scaling at a pretty huge rate. Eventually found a Nadina and a 2nd Nadina for a 2nd refresh.

I call this comp: BIG FATS

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I did it. I pushed to legend in wild with an odd paladin deck. Second time ever I've made it to legend! After taking 6 months out of the game too.

o8r2gjstnnqs.jpg

I swapped out a faceless corruptor for an ironbeak owl to deal with the resurrect priests. Was stuck in rank 3 for a long time but managed to push through tonight.

86z98pto1oa3.jpg

### Odd Paladin - Wild Meta
    # Class: Paladin
    # Format: Wild
    #
    # 2x (1) Blessing of Might
    # 2x (1) Lost in the Jungle
    # 2x (1) Never Surrender!
    # 1x (1) Patches the Pirate
    # 2x (1) Righteous Cause
    # 2x (1) Righteous Protector
    # 2x (1) Southsea Deckhand
    # 1x (3) Divine Favor
    # 1x (3) Ironbeak Owl
    # 2x (3) Muster for Battle
    # 2x (3) Steward of Darkshire
    # 2x (3) Warhorse Trainer
    # 1x (5) Faceless Corruptor
    # 1x (5) Leeroy Jenkins
    # 1x (5) Loatheb
    # 2x (5) Quartermaster
    # 2x (7) Corridor Creeper
    # 1x (7) Vinecleaver
    # 1x (9) Baku the Mooneater
    #
    AAEBAcOfAwiiAq8EpwX6DpG8AoPHAp74AoKxAwtG1AXsD+0P0xP/rwK4xwLjywL70wKOmgOMrQMA
    #

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Dibby wrote: »

and speaking of

Hoo boy this was the most unorthodox BG game I've ever played!! I picked Reno for shits and gigs (never had a good run with him and wanted to make him work). Was pretty ahead on board but it was looking like I couldn't afford to be greedy and wait for a Brann or Rivendare. So, I found something else. Iron Sensei! Golden Iron Sensei is fucking nuts. That card is worth SIX gold per turn. SIX GOLD PER TURN in terms the sheer value generation it provides. +4/+4 a turn is the same as buying two Screwjanks a turn.
    Isn't buying two Screwjanks worth 4 gold?

forty on
  • Options

Some of the comparisons made in the OP seem pretty disingenuous to me. He compares Metamorphosis and Altruis, both legendary cards, to two non-legendary Mage cards. Yes, one-ofs tend to be able to outclass two-ofs.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

and speaking of

Hoo boy this was the most unorthodox BG game I've ever played!! I picked Reno for shits and gigs (never had a good run with him and wanted to make him work). Was pretty ahead on board but it was looking like I couldn't afford to be greedy and wait for a Brann or Rivendare. So, I found something else. Iron Sensei! Golden Iron Sensei is fucking nuts. That card is worth SIX gold per turn. SIX GOLD PER TURN in terms the sheer value generation it provides. +4/+4 a turn is the same as buying two Screwjanks a turn.
    Isn't buying two Screwjanks worth 4 gold?

I mean, only if you're Millhouse......

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    You recoup 2 gold when you sell them, for a net loss of 4 gold.