As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    David_T wrote: »
    Looking forward to being a badass viking who confounds the British by bathing regularly.

By comparison-

-and please do not judge me for this observation-

-I'm pretty sure Kassandra is wearing the same pair of underwear throughout the entirety of AC: Odyssey.

Which means Vallallalala already has a leg up on Odyssey.

edit: This is a god-awful TOTP.

edit 2: They should make the level-up mechanic only work during baths. Like you reflect on your life experiences between baths.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I am super keen to hear the new theme song because the last couple have been absolute bangers

and mash

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    *I pick up Origins 6 months after release, they announce Odyssey is coming 1 year after Origins’ release date*

“Man, I wish they’d space these out a bit more. I don’t have time for an AC every year anymore.”

*We’ll probably get AC Viking this fall, 2 years after Odyssey’s release*

“I still haven’t beaten either Origins nor Odyssey. The problem is me.” :|

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    love to murder the british

They weren't british yet, technically.

i hope i can beat them to death with potatoes

liEt3nH.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

There are no potatoes, it's before the 16th Century.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    They were called Britons, weren't they

Edit: I guess if this is the Great Heathen Army then the lands they are invading are primarily Saxon, so, never mind

Grey Ghost on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    one might say the shared history of viking conquests was a precursor to the later concept of a british identity

PNk1Ml4.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Templar lies

Couscous on

Potatoes existed before the 16th century

liEt3nH.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Not outside of South America, they didn't.

Aistan wrote: »

Not outside of South America, they didn't.

Oh so you'll all accept the space aliens and immortal beings but a friendly forum poster wanting to travel to South America to get a potato to beat the english to death in revenge for a potato famine that, in-universe, won't take place for another 800 years is a BRIDGE TOO FAR

liEt3nH.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    There are many things I like to do with potatoes such as for instance boil them or also perchance mash them or even on occasion stick them in a stew

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    there should be an achievement for sailing to vinland and taking a potato and sailing back and throwing it at an anglo saxon fort commander's head. did potatoes grow that far north in the 9th century? let's say yes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There are many things I like to do with potatoes such as for instance boil them or also perchance mash them or even on occasion stick them in a stew

Well isn't that precious

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the vikings should sail to south america and interact with the mayans. you can't prove it didn't happen

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Edit: I guess if this is the Great Heathen Army then the lands they are invading are primarily Saxon, so, never mind

Does that mean we get to

Spill the blood of the Saxon Men?

Take it away, Sir Christopher Lee

https://youtu.be/cvKRbi2ovDY

edited April 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Does that mean we get to

Spill the blood of the Saxon Men?

Take it away, Sir Christopher Lee

I already had this stuck in my head all day so good work

Grey Ghost on
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Looking forward to being a badass viking who confounds the British by bathing regularly.

I was just thinking about how all the day-of-the-week names in English come from the Nordic names except for Saturday, the day literally called bathing-day in the Nordic languages.

They were fine with all the Norse gods but don't you dare try and make them wash once a week.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    im'a buy this day one but holy cow do vikings bore me to tears

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Wow, sorry I guess

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    the vikings should sail to south america and interact with the mayans. you can't prove it didn't happen

Well

Ah Tabi? From black flag was the leader of the assassins in the Americas, and there was something, I think, about the assassins being there before the Europeans invaded

Flarne wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Wow, sorry I guess

no fix it dammit

• TaminTamin Registered User regular

Well

Ah Tabi? From black flag was the leader of the assassins in the Americas, and there was something, I think, about the assassins being there before the Europeans invaded

my memory is a bit sketchy, but I seem to recall one of the Apples showing the Americas, so it seems plausible that the Assassins popped over before the European conquests

"In 1503, Ezio Auditore da Firenze sent a group of Assassins to Constantinople, where they managed to retrieve maps of the New World from Piri Reis' workshop. Realizing that the Templars were already expanding their influence to the new-found lands, the Assassins swiftly followed suit.[2] After these Assassin immigrants from Europe made contact with the indigenous peoples in the Caribbean, many natives joined the Order, finding similarities between their own way of living and the Assassin ideology."

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Lehi the Israelite was actually an early assassin, and in addition to writing his religious teachings on a series of golden plates, he inscribed the ways of the assassin onto a series of silver plates. While the golden plates went undiscovered until the nineteenth century, the silver plates were found much earlier, and translated by the indigenous peoples. Their assassins differ heavily from the mainline assassins, due to centuries of divergence and massive cultural differences, but they still exist, hidden in the woods of upstate New York.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    pre-orders seem to be up, also

currently seeing Standard, Gold, Ultimate, and Collector's edition
    Standard: base game, bonus mission
    Gold: Standard, plus the season pass
    Ultimate: Gold, plus three Berserker Packs: Gear, Settlement, and Longship; and a "set of runes"
    Collector's: + Eivor Figurine (30 cm), steelbook, statuette of Eivor (5 cm), box, lithographs, and soundtrack

Ultimate is $120; Gold is $100, Standard is $60. All USD.

Not seeing a price for the Collector's Edition.

edit: as indicated, Eivor is the main character's name. Store page doesn't indicate gender choice, but it seems likely given context.
    Blurb follows:
    - Lead epic Viking raids against Saxon fortresses throughout England.
    - Dual-wield powerful weapons and relive the visceral fighting style of the Vikings.
    - Challenge yourself with the most varied collection of enemies ever found in Assassin's Creed.
    - Shape the growth of your character with every choice you make and carve your path to glory.
    - Explore a Dark Age open world, from the harsh shores of Norway to the beautiful kingdoms of England.

Tamin on
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I'm so excited to see Ubi confirm that AC has returned to its roots with one of the core elements that makes the series so wonderful: murdering the absolute fuck out of the English hidden blades

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Very excited for the focus on axes.

The tomahawks in AC3 are the best weapon in the series by far.

The artwork posted on the last page looks to have a lady viking on the right side so I'm guessing that you'll get to choose which protag you play as again.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    Ah, can't buy the collector's bundle through uplay, apparently. store.ubisoft.com lists it as $200. Eivor statue is of a woman!

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Apparently, they've confirmed you can play as male or female. Eivor is even a female name.

It sounds like a time of frequent conflict, and of course, combat plays a huge role in Assassin’s Creed and in the trailer. How has your research informed the changes made to combat in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla?

TN: We know that combat at the time was rough and rustic. It was really harsh; our research taught us that Vikings were very versatile fighters. They knew how to use a wide variety of weapons; and managed to dual-wield any kind of weapons they could get their hands on. They even weaponized their shields, which is why you can dual-wield them in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. There was so much variety in Viking combat, and that’s what we wanted to make available to the player as well. Research also taught us that Vikings had many different battle tactics, and that’s where the raids come from. We wanted to make sure to reflect those raids and let players control them.

Dual wield shields

Dual wield shields

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    This...this is somehow going to dovetail into a Vinland thing isn't it. Proto-North American Assassin's Guild.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    That whole thing is basically season one of History Channel's Vikings and I'm extremely here for this shit.

they best let me ride a moose

or become a moose

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    This...this is somehow going to dovetail into a Vinland thing isn't it. Proto-North American Assassin's Guild.
    Ah maybe not, 100+ years too soon.
    It is Norway and the Dark Ages of England – specifically the ninth century. In terms of England, it is quite a large map.

Still the era where it's a bunch of Viking clans vs everyone trying to go legit with the church and forming countries.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I've been getting back into this series recently! Currently playing through Origins, very excited to see if they can make a Viking lady I have as big a crush on as I do Kassandra

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DUAL

WIELD

SHIELDS

CYpGAPn.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I want to see how many axes they let me load up on

Let me have a hidden axe instead of a hidden blade