As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Screw hidden axe, I want Highly Ostentatious Axe, like I want that to literally be what they call it in the tool wheel

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Axesassins Creed Valhalla.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I want to see how many axes they let me load up on

Let me have a hidden axe instead of a hidden blade

A hidden shield

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Hidden shield-blade

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    hidden moose

with a blade

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    A discreet blade hidden inside a big ostentatious axe

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Store page mentions growing a settlement so maybe my dream of the return of Homesteading from AC3 will come true

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Store page mentions growing a settlement so maybe my dream of the return of Homesteading from AC3 will come true

At least in one interview I read, that was a direct point of comparison

• Options
    Gonna raise a whole herd of axes.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

At least in one interview I read, that was a direct point of comparison

:+1:

Yessss having replayed AC3 last year it really brought home how great that idea was so I am stoked to have another crack at it.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    im'a buy this day one but holy cow do vikings bore me to tears

Wow, sorry I guess

no fix it dammit

I shall do my best to entertain

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm watching this trailer breakdown with the creative guys and they point out that Eivor mounts the hidden blade on top of their arm because it's such a kickass weapon why WOULDN'T you want to show it off

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Whipping a throwing axe across the battlefield into a dude's head kicks ass and I hope to do that many times in this game.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I got really hyped when the hidden blade showed up in the trailer

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    j8pq83x2suh6.jpeg

I’m guessing your eagle will now be a crow and YES

• Options
    A raven, surely?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I'd guess a raven, yeah, considering Hugin and Munin.

the gear pack picture might be implying that there are skins for your bird buddy? Is that just me?

Tamin on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    It sounds like a time of frequent conflict, and of course, combat plays a huge role in Assassin’s Creed and in the trailer. How has your research informed the changes made to combat in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla?

TN: We know that combat at the time was rough and rustic. It was really harsh; our research taught us that Vikings were very versatile fighters. They knew how to use a wide variety of weapons; and managed to dual-wield any kind of weapons they could get their hands on. They even weaponized their shields, which is why you can dual-wield them in Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. There was so much variety in Viking combat, and that’s what we wanted to make available to the player as well. Research also taught us that Vikings had many different battle tactics, and that’s where the raids come from. We wanted to make sure to reflect those raids and let players control them.

Dual wield shields

Dual wield shields

I've seen that gimmick Dark Souls build.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    is that a riding wolf

• Options
    Upgrade your raven's Thought to reveal more on the map, and Memory to highlight enemies for longer

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm watching this trailer breakdown with the creative guys and they point out that Eivor mounts the hidden blade on top of their arm because it's such a kickass weapon why WOULDN'T you want to show it off

This is a very fair assessment, yes.

Everybody in the youtube comments was all "remember when AC was about assassins?" and it's like no shut up I'm about to get to hurl axes into dudes faces and have a crow peck their eyes out probably I need this.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    ashraf ismail (ac4, origins), darby mcdevitt (revelations, ac4), and alain mercieca (origins) are on this game as many people anticpated

set in 9th century and king alfred of wessex looks to be the big bad, so looks like the rumors of it being about the great heathen army were right.interview with darby mentions we begin in the 870s so I don't think we're going to get the whole story of ragnar lodbrok and his sons like some leaks alleged, just going to start in the middle of it. or who knows, they might pull an ac3 and you don't get to the main part of the game until sequence 6

looks like our open world is made of norway and england, though the season pass mentions "new lands". building settlements is very important, religious rituals are very important. gender choice but no mention of a character creator, female vikings join eivor in battle, eivor is usually a feminine name

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Might be a Mass Effect thing going on where you pick whichever gender of your named main character you want.

• Options
    Awh, wish we’d get all of Scandinavia even if it’s not historically accurate. Just cause I want it.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    a news post mentions decapitation and dismemberment; claims barracks, blacksmiths, and tattoo parlors as settlement buildings; and indicates we can recruit new members to grow our clan

Tamin on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Tamin wrote: »
    a news post mentions decapitation and dismemberment; claims barracks, blacksmiths, and tattoo parlors as settlement buildings; and indicates we can recruit new members to grow our clan

Hope that means they are bringing back the AC2 'whistle and point at somebody, then watch an assassin tackle them.'

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I’d be a lot more interested in this game if they would pare it down a little.

I played Odyssey for awhile but there was just too damn much.

I bought Origins and never played it at all.

I miss the smaller contained games.

• Options
    Swedish take on the character name: Its pretty cool that my middle school lunch lady is the protagonist I guess.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Screw hidden axe, I want Highly Ostentatious Axe, like I want that to literally be what they call it in the tool wheel

This isn't Unity

I hope.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Whew, I watched that trailer and was interested since I liked Odyssey, but was worried they were going back to male only character.

So came in here to see if anyone had heard anything and gigantic statue of the female character. Excellent. Excited to play this.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    This...this is somehow going to dovetail into a Vinland thing isn't it. Proto-North American Assassin's Guild.
    Ah maybe not, 100+ years too soon.
    It is Norway and the Dark Ages of England – specifically the ninth century. In terms of England, it is quite a large map.

Still the era where it's a bunch of Viking clans vs everyone trying to go legit with the church and forming countries.

so the current state of the lore:

assassin-like and templar-like groups have existed across the world independently under different names since forever, matching with kidd's statement in ac4 that when european assassins came to the caribbean they quickly found similar groups to ally with.

bayek and amunet formed the hidden ones, the earliest direct precursor to what would now be called the assassins, who still use the tenets laid down by that group.

the name "assassins" came from Hassan-i Sabbah's group of hidden ones, who made themselves a public-facing organization. altair took the assassins back underground and spread assassin's guilds throughout the world, and ezio networked them into what would eventually become a global brotherhood of assassins.

ezio also enthusiastically sponsored european colonization of the americas, so the templars wouldn't get there first. he's very much the bad guy there

the time this is set, 870s, is ostensibly still pre-assassins, but eivor does have the hidden ones symbol on his axe. we know almost nothing about brotherhood activity in norway, especially during this time, so it's hard to make any conjectures. ashraf says in this video that eivor meets with assassins and "doesn't know what that means, but there is some kind of common ground that they have"

the vault/pieces of eden maps from earlier games do have some marks in norway and in vinland, however. vinland areas were explored in ac rogue and shay recovered some viking stuff. with all that in mind, i'm 100% certain eivor will have a special sequence where he goes to vinland before leif erikson and does some lore-y stuff, because that's such a heavily mythologized aspect of viking history and assassin's creed loves that shit.

as far as forming countries in england, at this point you have a heptarchy of anglo-saxon states, and king alfred of wessex being able to beat back the great heathen army provides a foundation for his grandson to unite the anglo-saxons into the kingdom of england. the influence of the church was weaker at this time because vikings loved to attack churches and monasteries, where all the best loot was held

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

So I 100%ed all of the main games, etc. the Madness of King George DLC for ass 3. Also I never collected the flags in AC1 because...yeeechh.

Based on my own experiences:

AC1 - not sure how long to 100% because I skipped flags. 30-40, I bet.
    AC: Rogue - 30 hours to 100%
    AC2, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations, AC3, AC4 (Black Flag) - 40 hours to 100%
    Unity - fucking 86 fucking hours fuck
    Syndicate - around 87ish hours
    Origins - around 100 hours
    Odyssey - I dunno yet. Probably a hundred million hours

I absolutely do prefer a more contained experience. 40 hours was the perfect length. Unity really sapped my will to keep up with the series anymore.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Drez wrote: »

So I 100%ed all of the main games, etc. the Madness of King George DLC for ass 3. Also I never collected the flags in AC1 because...yeeechh.

Based on my own experiences:

AC1 - not sure how long to 100% because I skipped flags. 30-40, I bet.
    AC: Rogue - 30 hours to 100%
    AC2, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations, AC3, AC4 (Black Flag) - 40 hours to 100%
    Unity - fucking 86 fucking hours fuck
    Syndicate - around 87ish hours
    Origins - around 100 hours
    Odyssey - I dunno yet. Probably a hundred million hours

I absolutely do prefer a more contained experience. 40 hours was the perfect length. Unity really sapped my will to keep up with the series anymore.

I really liked Syndicate because it was big but not too big and it basically controlled like a Batman game.

• Options
    Syndicate was such a good fuckin game

I wish we'd gotten more like that, I don't hate the RPG elements like some folks, but Syndicate really scratched an itch for me

• Options
    https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/04/30/answers-to-our-biggest-questions-about-assassins-creed-valhalla

this interview with ashraf has a lotta good stuff

dual wield any combo of weapons as mentioned before, including two shields. round shields, tower shields, flails, spears, bearded axes, dane axes, longswords are mentioned

the england map is focused on the four major kingdoms of wessex, northumbria, east anglia, and mercia. the major cities are london (in mercia), winchester (capital of wessex), and jórvík (also known as york, in southern northumbria and fully captured by vikings). various smaller towns and then also the map of norway, which seems like it will be smaller and more barren

the hidden ones and the order of the ancients, by those names, are around. like edward kenway, eivor is not a hidden one, but he does meet them and work with them. layla's story is still continued in the present day

a lot of focus on developing and customizing eivor's settlement. your buds, the jomsvikings, who live in your settlement and are the crew of your longship, are also customizable. you launch raids from your longship and you also have assaults on big fortresses, which are super-raids. longship traversal is not really about being on the open sea but rather sailing the rivers and coasts of england.

rather than having 800 different swords each weapon is meant to be unique, and every weapon including starting ones can be upgraded to be viable for the whole game. seems like you have destiny-style "power" based on your skills and gear this time rather than a level.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed 1 doesn't give any information about the flags you are missing. So it takes "going over the map list for the third time to make DEADLY CERTAIN you didn't miss one" hours. So about 30-40, but you will crave the sweet release of death for at least 5 to 10 of those.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    To be fair, Unity was a pain for more reasons then scope/length of the game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I loved what they eventually patched Unity to be, it's easily one of my favorites.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    from the interview: "each piece of gear is unique"

*looks at the unique/non-unique columns in ACOdyssey_inventory.ods and breathes a sigh of relief*

• Options
    I never played Unity, and at this one l point it's the only mainline one I've missed

I should grab it for cheap one if these days