As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I called Jomsvikings

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This looks cool, but there is no way I wood get through an open world game in any sort of decent amount of time

Vikings are interesting

I'm certainly intrigued

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    every weapon including starting ones can be upgraded to be viable for the whole game.

Fucking yes.

This is the thing I hate about most RPG games. I am a very simple man. I prefer utility and simplicity over flash and I usually prefer starting weapons because they look like actual, functional weapons. So having to give them up later in the game for a stupid goddamn sword with 8,000 spikes and sparklers off the sides because I need better damage infuriates me to no end.

I understand it is because I am a broken individual and no fun at all but still

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhallas-narrative-director-on-cr/1100-6476661/

story things from darby's interview

dialogue choices are back. they want it to feel like eivor has a distinct personality and your choices are in a spectrum of possible responses

eivor is supposed to be an older character. not a 19 year old rookie viking, but someone who has been doing this for a while and has built a reputation and is a respected leader. eivor's clan is driven out of norway for political reasons, because norway is in a time of great strife, so their settlement in england is a matter of survival.

eivor is, like kenway, an outsider to the ancient war of hidden ones v. order of ancients, but unlike kenway they are not here to exploit that war for profit. rather, eivor plays a pivotal role in the evolution of these two groups. the structure of the story is "unique for any game". no specifics on what that means exactly, but the story is going to span many many years rather than taking place over 1 year, and part of it is eivor's struggles as a leader and someone trying to build and maintain a community.

king alfred is a major antagonist, but is not the central antagonist, who is a secret

approach to religion and mythology is "similar to origins" though he does not confirm or deny that we're going to fight fenrir. but eivor is a very religious character, and rituals are a big part of his clan's day-to-day life

PNk1Ml4.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    rather than having 800 different swords each weapon is meant to be unique, and every weapon including starting ones can be upgraded to be viable for the whole game.
    if this means i don't have to spend most of my time staring at two different boots of kicking +1 to see if one is slightly lighter or has better stats in some way, thank fucking cthulhu

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    every weapon including starting ones can be upgraded to be viable for the whole game.

Fucking yes.

This is the thing I hate about most RPG games. I am a very simple man. I prefer utility and simplicity over flash and I usually prefer starting weapons because they look like actual, functional weapons. So having to give them up later in the game for a stupid goddamn sword with 8,000 spikes and sparklers off the sides because I need better damage infuriates me to no end.

Nah I'm one hundred percent with you, this is the worst part of RPGs

I like endgame odyssey because you could make some truly ridiculous builds but yeah I don't care for the process of incremental loot upgrades all game.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    winchester (capital of wessex)

It is utterly bizzare to me that an assassins creed game has a setting that is literally a few miles up the road from where I live.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    yeah, in odyssey I wouldn't change up my gear unless I completed a unique set or if it had been like...a while since I switched something out. incremental stat increases are not interesting to me

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I spent a decent amount of time with the gear stuff in Odyssey but I would definitely prefer it be excised completely. Though once you could make any item look like any other item I just dressed Kassandra as close to wonder woman as I could.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhallas-narrative-director-on-cr/1100-6476661/

story things from darby's interview

dialogue choices are back. they want it to feel like eivor has a distinct personality and your choices are in a spectrum of possible responses

eivor is supposed to be an older character. not a 19 year old rookie viking, but someone who has been doing this for a while and has built a reputation and is a respected leader. eivor's clan is driven out of norway for political reasons, because norway is in a time of great strife, so their settlement in england is a matter of survival.

eivor is, like kenway, an outsider to the ancient war of hidden ones v. order of ancients, but unlike kenway they are not here to exploit that war for profit. rather, eivor plays a pivotal role in the evolution of these two groups. the structure of the story is "unique for any game". no specifics on what that means exactly, but the story is going to span many many years rather than taking place over 1 year, and part of it is eivor's struggles as a leader and someone trying to build and maintain a community.

king alfred is a major antagonist, but is not the central antagonist, who is a secret

approach to religion and mythology is "similar to origins" though he does not confirm or deny that we're going to fight fenrir. but eivor is a very religious character, and rituals are a big part of his clan's day-to-day life

I bet the central antagonist is Testikles

A fun version of the "rituals are important" stuff would be to go like King of Dragon Pass on it

Act out the old stories

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's interesting how Alfred is an antagonist, seeing as how nearly everything I know about him comes from Asser's Life of Alfred and the Anglo Saxon Chronicle, which fairly obviously paints him as an OK dude and Vikings as bastards

I'd be down with Æthelred Unræd being the antagonist, not least because then there'd be a chance that the Battle of Maldon would be in the game, and reenacting an Old English poem I once wrote an essay on in uni would be bizarre

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    With Alfred in it maybe you can act out the events of The Ballad of the White Horse, one of the greatest works of English poetry of all time

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    a news post mentions decapitation and dismemberment; claims barracks, blacksmiths, and tattoo parlors as settlement buildings; and indicates we can recruit new members to grow our clan

Hope that means they are bringing back the AC2 'whistle and point at somebody, then watch an assassin tackle them.'

Brotherhood was my favorite until Odyssey, and it really bummed me out they never really did that whole recruiting and training stuff again.

A fun version of the "rituals are important" stuff would be to go like King of Dragon Pass on it

Act out the old stories

I hope it's a little more than "drop mead at odin's statue to get +10% attack in your next raid"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I think the secret antagonist is Odin, or whichever Isu Odin is

@-Tal I know the Isu line up with Greek/Roman gods, are they also the inspiration for every other pantheon? I haven't gotten far enough to Origins to have the reveal that Anubis is a glowy Isu dude or whatever

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Syndicate was the one AC I've played that I was able to get into and even then I slid off it, I'm tempted here because yes give me all the video game shields.

Magic Pink wrote: »
    I loved what they eventually patched Unity to be, it's easily one of my favorites.

I adored that city, probably my favorite in any of the games. But I couldn't tell you a single thing about the protagonist

Also I thought they pulled some of their French Revolution punches, but no multinational corporation was ever gonna go as hard in the paint as I wanted

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    my secret is that i'm way more interested in anglo-saxon england than i am in vikings

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Fucking yes.

i'm pretty sure they did this in origins and Odyssey, yes? I mean i've been upgrading my starting stuff forever.

i mean i love the loot grind but if i find something fine let me keep it forevs

like a +5 moose can you imagine

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I should probably finish Odyssey.

I wanted to complete everything but I got bogged down by repetitive side quests and points of interest.

Season 4 of The Last Kingdom has just started on Netflix. The show is an adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Uthred of Bebbanburg books and is set during the reign of Alfred the Great. Definitely worth a watch if you want to get familiar with the setting.

I wonder if they'll includes Alfred's daughter Athelflaed though she was only born in 869.

She eventually become a badass warrior queen of the Mercians.

SharpyVII on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    My only real exposure to viking history has been reading the Vinland Saga manga.
    At the start of the trailer with the talk about we gotta get rid of these vikings I thought it might have lined up timing wise at first, since the major English invasion in that managa kicks off with attacks on viking settled areas of England. But that stuff is way later around 1000. Kind of the tail end of the viking era as you've got kings in norway and denmark, and populations converting etc. Although it does still prominently feature Jomsvikings.
    There's an anime adaptation of the first full arc up on Amazon Prime that's not bad. But it's fair to say the manga goes in a relatively different direction past that point. Hopefully they'll adapt some more, otherwise it's a bit grimdark if that's where you stop.

akajaybay on
    SharpyVII wrote: »

I wanted to complete everything but I got bogged down by repetitive side quests and points of interest.

dump the stuff you don't wanna do, ain't no shame in that. fuck sidequests if you don't like em

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Unity had a great city, but as a completionist that game broke me.

I mean look at this bullshit. You can't even see the map in some parts.
    m0Airjy.png

FFXIV: Agran Trask
    ya ain't gots do do it all! it's just there if you wanna play more! don't feel pressured y'all

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    My only real exposure to viking history has been reading the Vinland Saga manga.
    At the start of the trailer with the talk about we gotta get rid of these vikings I thought it might have lined up timing wise at first, since the major English invasion that managa kicks off with attacks on viking settled areas of England. But that stuff is way later around 1000. Kind of the tail end of the viking era as you've got kings in norway and denmark, and populations converting etc. Although it does still prominently feature Jomsvikings.
    There's an anime adaptation of the first full arc up on Amazon Prime that's not bad. But it's fair to say the manga goes in a relatively different direction past that point. Hopefully they'll adapt some more, otherwise it's a bit grimdark if that's where you stop.

The manga only gets better after the part adapted by the anime.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

dump the stuff you don't wanna do, ain't no shame in that. fuck sidequests if you don't like em

Oh yeah, now that I've got much less time to play games thanks to having a kid I've learnt to accept I can't complete everything.

For example I've not even attempted to do the squats/pull up mini games in the FF7 remake because if I've only got an hour that day to play games I sure ain't wasting it getting mad at dumb mini games!

Oh yeah, now that I've got much less time to play games thanks to having a kid I've learnt to accept I can't complete everything.

For example I've not even attempted to do the squats/pull up mini games in the FF7 remake because if I've only got an hour that day to play games I sure ain't wasting it getting mad at dumb mini games!

no see make the kid do the sidequests

mad strats y'all

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    I like endgame odyssey because you could make some truly ridiculous builds but yeah I don't care for the process of incremental loot upgrades all game.

I thought it was fine once they added transmog. That being said, I totally wouldn't mind a system that doesn't spam you with minor upgrades, so long as it has transmog.

What I'm saying is... Dress Up Dolls is and always will be the true endgame.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    ya ain't gots do do it all! it's just there if you wanna play more! don't feel pressured y'all

the problem with this and like...arkham city is that it shoves that information right in your face before you can turn it off, like...odyssey and origins both have probably more stuff, but you have to actively seek it out

edited April 2020
    I think the secret antagonist is Odin, or whichever Isu Odin is

I know the Isu line up with Greek/Roman gods, are they also the inspiration for every other pantheon? I haven't gotten far enough to Origins to have the reveal that Anubis is a glowy Isu dude or whatever

you don't meet the egyptian gods directly, but yes they too are isu, as well as the hindu durga. norse gods have never shown up, though sigmund's sword is implied to be a sword of eden by the ac2 glyphs

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    winchester (capital of wessex)

It is utterly bizzare to me that an assassins creed game has a setting that is literally a few miles up the road from where I live.

Imagine if you lived in London. Could have had that feeling years ago!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

the problem with this and like...arkham city is that it shoves that information right in your face before you can turn it off, like...odyssey and origins both have probably more stuff, but you have to actively seek it out

resist! your willpower stat will go up

london will be the second city in the series to be depicted in full twice, after new york

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    My only real gripes with Unity having played it last year is that it didn't really give you a good outline of the beats of the revolution in a coherent order as most of that storytelling was in the multiplayer missions that were definitely soloable but also could be done in any order rather than chronologically (which I get was the point, the story focus was Arno and Elise as a more personal thing, that's fine but I'd have appreciated a little more history) and secondly, Elise should probably have been the MC.

One thing that I've noticed finally playing the Witcher 3 is that hot damn you can tell folks at Ubisoft played the shit out of that game

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Those interviews say the story begins around 870, which puts it right around the start of the Varangian guard, which is the perfect excuse to get a side trip out to the Mediterranean for some great dumb connections to the other games.

steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I’d be a lot more interested in this game if they would pare it down a little.

I played Odyssey for awhile but there was just too damn much.

I bought Origins and never played it at all.

I miss the smaller contained games.

So I 100%ed all of the main games, etc. the Madness of King George DLC for ass 3. Also I never collected the flags in AC1 because...yeeechh.

Based on my own experiences:

AC1 - not sure how long to 100% because I skipped flags. 30-40, I bet.
    AC: Rogue - 30 hours to 100%
    AC2, AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations, AC3, AC4 (Black Flag) - 40 hours to 100%
    Unity - fucking 86 fucking hours fuck
    Syndicate - around 87ish hours
    Origins - around 100 hours
    Odyssey - I dunno yet. Probably a hundred million hours

I absolutely do prefer a more contained experience. 40 hours was the perfect length. Unity really sapped my will to keep up with the series anymore.

I really liked Syndicate because it was big but not too big and it basically controlled like a Batman game.

Syndicate was slightly longer than Unity, but it was a thousand times better than Unity, so ultimately I liked it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited April 2020
    I loved what they eventually patched Unity to be, it's easily one of my favorites.

Just to put my comments in context, I played Unity over a year after it came out and well after they fully patched it and while I didn't hate it, I have no love for it. It's like a relationship you can't remember anymore because you were just in it so you wouldn't feel alone anymore. But you never loved her.

I never loved you, Arno.

Drez on
    Or your goddamned co-op missions.