As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Do not let your children watch any of those

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Not a documentary but I think Beasts of No Nation has a lot of kids their age. They may like that.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Y'all are great.

Terrible, but great.

@m!ttens

Pretty much anything, really. We're probably looking for something a little less nature-documentary (those tend to be easier to find?) and a little more "How it's made," so that's a good suggestion!

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Not exactly a documentary, but it has a similar vibe as How It's Made:

Good Eats

There are a billion episodes and they're half an hour (I think). He also started doing remakes of old episodes recently.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Do they already watch Brainchild?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley is 2.5 and potty training is going pretty well. Consistently dry and using the toilet for both poop and potty, but sometimes she just refuses and sets herself so we just pump the brakes and go back to pull-ups until she calms down because we don't want to make potty time stressful.

We also use candy as the reward.

Does that sound about right?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ripley is 2.5 and potty training is going pretty well. Consistently dry and using the toilet for both poop and potty, but sometimes she just refuses and sets herself so we just pump the brakes and go back to pull-ups until she calms down because we don't want to make potty time stressful.

Abigail was really late to the potty training stuff. She bounced between being excited to do it and hating it.

She didn’t really master it until she was past 3 and only then because she was getting learning at preschool. Watching all the other kids do something and being on a routine helps a lot.

So, don’t stress it too much. It’s sucks dealing with diapers, but she’ll get the hang of it before you know it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    About 6 weeks ago when my son was just under 10 months old had a bad bout of reflux where he'd puke pretty much every time he had milk or solids.

He started to lose weight and it was really noticeable!

Fortunately he's gotten better and has found his appetite again as you can see in this picture from last night:

5246jf9on32u.jpg

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    You know what's hard? Trying to pull a tick out from behind the ear of a screaming crying child.

She freaks out over bugs but then freaks out when daddy approaches with tweezers. Damn thing was probably a deer tick too so we're waiting to see if she gets the bullseye rash.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

No. Use stickers instead. Then she won't associate unhealthy foodstuff with "being good". When you want to stop giving rewards for going to the toilet it's a lot easier to have a child whine about stickers than about MOAR CANDY.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Is it Daddy? :D

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Is it Daddy? :D

By proxy

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Ordinarily I'd agree about the candy but to me potty training is a special case. It can be tremendously stressful and getting it done is extremely beneficial for everyone involved, I think you should get through it however you can and if something is working for the love of God don't change it

• Options
    I admit to trying stickers but had better results with 2 M&Ms as a reward.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    You know what's hard? Trying to pull a tick out from behind the ear of a screaming crying child.

She freaks out over bugs but then freaks out when daddy approaches with tweezers. Damn thing was probably a deer tick too so we're waiting to see if she gets the bullseye rash.

Does your city/town do tests? Here, they recommend bringing the tick in no matter what, so they can test it. The earlier you're in to treat anything that might be in there the better. Lyme disease is no fucking joke.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Aldo wrote: »

No. Use stickers instead. Then she won't associate unhealthy foodstuff with "being good". When you want to stop giving rewards for going to the toilet it's a lot easier to have a child whine about stickers than about MOAR CANDY.

We used candy and had almost instantly better results versus stickers. And we had no issue stopping the reward... we just stopped giving him the candy. "Now that you're such a big kid and can use the potty no problem, we don't need the candy every time. We'll keep it as a special treat, okay?"

Every kid and parent combo is different, so try things out and use what works for you.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm worried about getting our 2 and half year old to care at all about potty training, right now she just doesn't even seem to notice that shes gone potty, and will sit in her poopy diaper forever if we don't happen to smell it/shes napping.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I'm worried about getting our 2 and half year old to care at all about potty training, right now she just doesn't even seem to notice that shes gone potty, and will sit in her poopy diaper forever if we don't happen to smell it/shes napping.

That was Abigail too. She eventually took notice and peer pressure/routine helped out a lot.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Eh, I'm not convinced, but this is really one of those subjects we can argue over till the cows come home, but in the end I only ever raised one tiny human so it's not like I am very convincing one way or another. Sorry for bringing it up in such blunt wording.
    Hey this was us, Little King just used diapers and that was all. We tried to place him on the potty and he was just confused about the whole ordeal. All the advice we read was that they're going to be more interested in it one day and then you can start with potty training. Just put them on the potty every now and again and keep an eye out for when your child is more aware of when they pee or poop.
    It actually turned out to be that way for us. His older friend at daycare was the first to be potty trained, just rolled in after a vacation without diapers and within a few weeks Little King and their youngest friend (who is half a year younger than Little King) were starting to care about when they needed to go as well.

So you know, be patient, no worries.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

Does your city/town do tests? Here, they recommend bringing the tick in no matter what, so they can test it. The earlier you're in to treat anything that might be in there the better. Lyme disease is no fucking joke.

Every tick, every time try to at least get the prophylactic antibiotic dose (just a single short course of doxy). Helps prevent Lyme from starting. Usually docs will even do it over the phone.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »

Every tick, every time try to at least get the prophylactic antibiotic dose (just a single short course of doxy). Helps prevent Lyme from starting. Usually docs will even do it over the phone.

Yup, she already got her prophylactic dose. Now we're just waiting to see if the fever/headaches start in 10-14 days but hopefully the doxy was effective.

I really hate those fuckers. We do tick checks every time we go outside but this one still escaped my notice.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

My wife is a teacher and our planned potty training time aligned with her summer vacation, so we just stopped giving our oldest diapers and let 'er rip. Keep a mop and bucket nearby, and hopefully very quickly they'll realize that hey, it's not amazing to pee/poop my pants and have to interrupt my play for cleanup.

Daniel the Tiger song whenever there was an accident, because it was always a result of him knowing he had to go, but not wanting to stop what he was doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2fkaMqykgg

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Eh, I'm not convinced, but this is really one of those subjects we can argue over till the cows come home, but in the end I only ever raised one tiny human so it's not like I am very convincing one way or another. Sorry for bringing it up in such blunt wording.

Wasn't trying to convince you, sorry if I came across that way. I just know after two ourselves and having so many friends with 2+, there are so many "recommendations" and really, nothing is universal.

Well, keep them alive. That one is universal.

• Options
    Tried the sticker chart, no dice. Two milk chocolate chips per pee and three for a poop has done wonders so I'm going to stick with the candy bribery.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    we used candy with Ellie as well. gummy bears or fruits or jelly beans usually.

she still gets them occasionally now, but it's been expanded to "go potty, by yourself, wipe yourself, flush the toilet, and wash your hands, put your toilet seat and stool back" and even then, sometimes she doesn't remember to ask for one and we don't prompt it. But if she does all of that, by herself and then remembers to ask for a gummy? Sure. Here ya go.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    This chromebook synced all my bookmarks into it, so now I have to desync it and delete the bookmarks and pray it never tries to sync again?

I'm hesitant to make a 6 year old their own google account, even with Family Link. Is that what I should be doing though? Bluuuurrggh.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I created a Google account for CC partially for that reason, to keep our stuff separate.

Also so we could send pictures and events to it for her to look at later. And now at 8 she's sending emails to the grandma's; mostly just one or two lines, but can get eCards right to her address. You will need to lie, min age is 13 in the US.

For your device, you should be able to sign in as a Guest if it's setup that way.

MichaelLC on
  • Options

she still gets them occasionally now, but it's been expanded to "go potty, by yourself, wipe yourself, flush the toilet, and wash your hands, put your toilet seat and stool back" and even then, sometimes she doesn't remember to ask for one and we don't prompt it. But if she does all of that, by herself and then remembers to ask for a gummy? Sure. Here ya go.

You're living my dream, amigo.

• Options

You're living my dream, amigo.

Gummies when you go poop?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If we're going to have to cop to the candy reward system we use for ourselves this thread is going to go places

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    At only 3.5 months, T has already outgrown the car capsule! I saw her shoulders approaching the limit line a few weeks back and yesterday they were just above it! She is apparently pretty long for her age, for which I think we can blame her dad.

So much for these things lasting for 6 months! We found it super useful for the time we had it and I’m so glad we rented one instead of buying one... and today we had her big girl car seat installed!

I have many complicated feelings on this. It feels like a bigger deal than it actually is!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have experience with Toddler Growing pains?

Over the past few nights, Bean has had trouble sleeping well, and when he wakes up at night he's inconsolable and stretches his body hard as a board and feverishly shoos our hands away when we touch his legs.

Today he refused to nap and had a full blown two hour screaming session, then in the evening while I was making dinner he again melted down and screamed, this time opting to crouch under a table and scream, refusing all offers of help or normal comforts.

We finally settled him just in time to get him ready for bed. He went to bed without issue, but two hours later woke up screaming again, again indicating leg pain.

My wife says she had terrible growing pains as a child but I have no experience with it at all. I really hope it goes away because the poor kid is miserable and we're at our wits end for lack of rest.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I thought growing pains was like a "teenagers can be shitty people" thing, not an actual physical thing with toddlers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I thought growing pains was like a "teenagers can be shitty people" thing, not an actual physical thing with toddlers.

It's a thing mostly between 3 and 5 and again 8 and 12. I remember the later ones at least. Mostly as just having an uncomfortable feeling in the legs at night, sometimes actual pain.

And while it's definitely a thing, it's not completely clear what's actually happening, as far as I know. There's some theories that make sense but nothing conclusive.

I think I got cold wraps when it was worse. But apparently warm wraps are also a thing? Probably all placebos, but if it helps.

honovere on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I remember a lot of nights spent with Mom rubbing my legs with IcyHotuntil the pain mostly went away

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

It's a thing mostly between 3 and 5 and again 8 and 12. I remember the later ones at least. Mostly as just having an uncomfortable feeling in the legs at night, sometimes actual pain.

And while it's definitely a thing, it's not completely clear what's actually happening, as far as I know. There's some theories that make sense but nothing conclusive.

I think I got cold wraps when it was worse. But apparently warm wraps are also a thing? Probably all placebos, but if it helps.

It's all placebos as, as you say, the mechanism isn't understood.

Can't go wrong with heat/cold though. Who cares if it only works as a placebo

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Interesting. I've never heard it used as a euphemism for teenage shittiness

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I had massive growing pains in my knees when I was like ten and I used to rub them all over when Bengay and ace wraps at night to sleep.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

It's all placebos as, as you say, the mechanism isn't understood.

Can't go wrong with heat/cold though. Who cares if it only works as a placebo

Heat and massage soothe muscle pain. It's not placebo. The mechanism doesn't have to be understood for the effect to be real. Heck, a lot of the mechanisms of general anesthetic isn't fully understood but that sure as hell isn't placebo.

Upon watching a bunch of pediatrician videos about growing pains, modern theory is it's just musculoskeletal pain due to toddlers doing a ton of physical activity. They get muscle pain from running and jumping and hopping around the same way adults get it from doing sports.