As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    blah asmodee clamped down on all of the ffg game tabletop simulator mods after being quietly ok with them for years. nice of them to do when all of us are forbidden to go meet with friends to play games.

This settles it, french private equity groups are not human.

There is a way to backup and then locally download all the files from any TTS mods you want to keep around! I actually went and backed up a few myself this morning and it was pretty painless (you do have to sign up a free account on a website where the mod downloader is hosted).

I pretty much went and downloaded and backup my whole TTS collection yesterday. Felt kinda lucky since I read that the AH:LCG mod is now gone from the workshop. I don't have a huge collection so total size wasn't that bad. Seems google drive blocks the tool when doing to many downloads at a time, so for assets hosted in google drive I just had to wait a few hours between downloads.

Their decisions wouldn't feel as bad if the hadn't 1) Recently axed their digital team, showing they have no interest in providing a digital solution to play their games. 2) We weren't in the middle of a pandemic where we can't play in person. Everyone in my group own every single AH:LCG release, but we were only able to finish out last campaign thanks to TTS.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    blah asmodee clamped down on all of the ffg game tabletop simulator mods after being quietly ok with them for years. nice of them to do when all of us are forbidden to go meet with friends to play games.

This settles it, french private equity groups are not human.

There is a way to backup and then locally download all the files from any TTS mods you want to keep around! I actually went and backed up a few myself this morning and it was pretty painless (you do have to sign up a free account on a website where the mod downloader is hosted).

I pretty much went and downloaded and backup my whole TTS collection yesterday. Felt kinda lucky since I read that the AH:LCG mod is now gone from the workshop. I don't have a huge collection so total size wasn't that bad. Seems google drive blocks the tool when doing to many downloads at a time, so for assets hosted in google drive I just had to wait a few hours between downloads.

Their decisions wouldn't feel as bad if the hadn't 1) Recently axed their digital team, showing they have no interest in providing a digital solution to play their games. 2) We weren't in the middle of a pandemic where we can't play in person. Everyone in my group own every single AH:LCG release, but we were only able to finish out last campaign thanks to TTS.

We've got the same situation, our group is focused on Star Wars Destiny so we all own a ton, then also lots of AH and Marvel Champs throughout... But they already killed our main game and now are making it so we can't even remotely play!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    And sorry for the double, I got distracted...
    I actually came to ask what service everyone is using to "host" live/streamed games? Planning on trying an Unlock with another couple soon, probably with a static phone overhead and another handheld so we can zoom in objects for them.

I'm most familiar with zoom and discord right now, leaning toward discord for no time limits.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    We use Discord for our Pandemic games. Works well enough.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    And sorry for the double, I got distracted...
    I actually came to ask what service everyone is using to "host" live/streamed games? Planning on trying an Unlock with another couple soon, probably with a static phone overhead and another handheld so we can zoom in objects for them.

I'm most familiar with zoom and discord right now, leaning toward discord for no time limits.

We've had most success, surprisingly, with Google Meetings. Got through two of the Forbidden games last Monday. But mostly we've resorted to digital versions of games we already know; I've been "streaming" via screen-share the Sentinels of the Multiverse app and just playing cards / powers as people call them out, for example.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I use Zoom on a paid account so there are no time limits anyway, but I think you are not limited on a 2-person conference on the free plan.

Discord has video now, but I don't think the phone app supports it which would get in the way of a convenient camera setup.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Cisco's Webex is pretty similar to Zoom, but the free account doesn't have time limits. That could work as well.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Hangouts is my go to with the friend group. Split between zoom/Hangouts for professional stuff. They all seem pretty similar. The one thing I wish Hangouts did was let you do a video grid instead of showing small screens at the bottom and a large focused/active screen. Though we've really only used it to do jackbox kind of game nights I'm sure a haphazard tripod to mount a webcam facing a table is the exact level of good enough we're all about in containment

initiatefailure on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    FFG detailed the next Arkham Horror LCG expansion today: The Innsmouth Conspiracy!

Most notable about this is that it's the first expansion that includes new punchboard for the game... because it's gonna fuck with the chaos bag.

Still watching the (cursed) livestream of the reveal, but the big thing is blessed/cursed tokens.

These get added to the chaos bag when gained. When one is drawn, you either adjust your test by +2 / - 2 (blessed/cursed) and then draw another token from the chaos bag. You then set the blessed/cursed token aside. You are allowed a max of 10 blessed tokens in a game (I assume the same for cursed). Basically, it fucks with the math of the chaos bag. :)

There's other tokens, keys and flood tokens. And in general, it sounds like this is a story they really swung for the fences with.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/4/30/the-innsmouth-conspiracy/

ahc52_a1_spread.png

Ooh, the keys are unidentified on the backside.

Investigators:

Dexter Drake (already got their card in a novel)

Amanda Sharpe:
    4MHwuesm.jpg

Sister Mary:
    ahc52_sister-mary.png

Trish Scarborough (they are deliberately not revealing this one)

Edit: Oh duh, and the fifth is Silas Marsh, because of course.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    yeah i'm excited about it though it is unclear when i'll be able to play with friends again... also yeah that stream was super cursed by the bandwitches ayyyyyeeeeeee

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I cleaned out my wall of shame and gave away a couple of games that didn't click with me, so people can entertain their families during the pandemic.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile I just made a big purchase to help support my LGS now that they offer curbside pickup:

Snake Oil with the Joke Juice and Crude Oil expansions
    Tsuro: Phoenix Rising Kickstarter Edition
    The cyberkitty expansion for King of Tokyo/New York
    One of their pint glasses
    2 tins of Aaron's silly putty
    some card holding cardboard

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Yeah my favorite LGS just opened an online storefront today and are doing home delivery, even. I'm planning on picking up a thing or two from them tomorrow.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    My old group invited me to join them for some digital gaming over Board Game Arena last night. We got two rounds of 7 Wonders in, which we all knew, then tried out For Sale and Saboteur, all in record time.

Gosh, it was good to get some social interaction in. I honestly feel better than I have in a week.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Athenor wrote: »
    Meanwhile I just made a big purchase to help support my LGS now that they offer curbside pickup:

Snake Oil with the Joke Juice and Crude Oil expansions
    Tsuro: Phoenix Rising Kickstarter Edition
    The cyberkitty expansion for King of Tokyo/New York
    One of their pint glasses
    2 tins of Aaron's silly putty
    some card holding cardboard

Oh I forgot mine started doing that today since our state has another month of SiP. I should call them up about a hold item I had from right before everything closed to see if it's still available

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I was going to make a very first world problems complaint about kickstarted board games arriving when I have pretty much zero opportunity to play them, but then I thought about how long it usually takes me to actually get a new game to table as opposed to just deferring back to old favorites and...yeah...this doesn't really work out all that differently than normal.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Turns out shipping a giant heavy box of stuff is actually expensive. Who knew?

Literally none of the people who lost vast sums of money on shipping during the first year of kickstarter projects.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited May 2020
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2: October happened last night.
    giphy.gif
    Me reading the story cards.

We won though! Super easy, barely an inconvenience!

So game started off crazy. Move three hollow men to the havens replaced all the optional objectives. Eight hollow men cards in play once the first epidemic comes out, and three hollow men already in play to start. Starting infection had two cities draw two cards causing two plague cubes right off the line. First turn epidemic. Our saving grace was the hollow men, placing them in empty cities, rather than plague cubes. Crazy.
    Turn one we get cubes into two cities that were empty. Considering we then got the epidemic, we were very grateful we had that first turn! Turn two we move two hollow men so they're each one space away from havens. The cards are not being kind, as the closest we have to a supply center is two blues and they're in the wrong hands. Fortunately, we have radio towers, which we used a lot this game.
    Turn three through five are spent moving hollow men towards havens and passing cards to the builder. We also used the monitor action to draw the epidemic card without effect. Builder's (my) second turn I put a supply center in yellow. My upgrades allow me to build with 4 cards, or 3 and two supply cubes.
    We realize we have the cards to build two supply centers, but we need to get my character to another city to save an action. No problem, my wife's character is move a pawn to another, and she had an extra action to get me where I need to go. Turns 7-9 move the final hollow men, pass me the cards, and we use an infection card upgrade that allows us to discard a player card to stop drawing. My turn, I build one supply center, move, and build another. We win!

We had 5 incidents, but due to being able to move hollow men, we took minimal losses to population and no exposure. Reading the story though, what?! I didn't see it coming, but wow it was hinted multiple times as we read back some of the previous story cards from the start.

November and December are left. I fear we may have trouble getting red cards, so we used 3 points to put stickers in play that count as red cards. Hopefully, between that and the character upgrade to swap cards with the player discard, and the monitor action, we can get what we need to wrap this up.

What a reveal! So good!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So there's a big Steam sale right now on a ton of tower defense games. I've been playing Space Run and it's pretty much real time Galaxy Trucker tower defense, if that interests anyone. Heck, it's only $3.75 right now.

FFG continues to show love to Arkham Horror LCG.

Today's update: Parallel Investigators! Basically swappable front/backs for existing characters to spice them up. They also have "Advanced" versions of their signature cards that need to be taken as a set.

They also have a new standalone scenario to go with it: "Read or Die."

This is a cool little twist to introduce for older investigators to spice up gameplay and deckbuilding options.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/5/5/beyond-our-dimension/

Print and play stuff is cool but I know me... I'm gonna want them on real or at least passable card stock

Print and play stuff is cool but I know me... I'm gonna want them on real or at least passable card stock

Same. My first question was, are they going to sell 'em or put them out as part of the Arkham Nights / Invocations events?

Athenor wrote: »

Same. My first question was, are they going to sell 'em or put them out as part of the Arkham Nights / Invocations events?

honestly yeah if they end up doing a bunch of these and then collect them later into a PnP minipack i'd even pay for that. I didn't think about invocation promos though

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Neat, I would buy standalone scenarios that came with alternate ability investigators for sure.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    My FLGS had the real Azul available again so I ordered it, paid for courier because I'm technically rural and it usually costs a little more to send. While I was out at work one of the store employees popped in to hand deliver. Very nice. Also included, a free MTG starter pack. Hah. Also very nice but I'm not a CCG guy. I'm very aware that they're essentially a MTG store that also sells board games but theyve just never been something I'm into.

edit- just played Azul. What a great game. I was a little worried that it might be hard to grasp but everyone clicked to it very quickly. Thinky but also casual. real nice.
    6ctzq3ut0quv.png

Gvzbgul on
  • BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    My local shop was allowed to open up for curbside pickup this week, so going to try and order something from them. I'm really excited for the day my group can get back together there. The place just opened up a kitchen shortly before the shutdown, and they have the best orange soda, Tropicana twister orange, so I am so ready to eat some loaded nachos and lose yet again at whatever we play.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I picked up Mage Knight Ultimate before quarantine and have gotten a few games in during my downtime. This game isn't for everybody, but if it's for you it's pretty great.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    My favorite thing about Azul is with 2 players it's a strategy mindgame and at 4 players it's the wild west of tiles.

Also I took advantage of my local shop starting curbside pickup to get the Arkham packs I'd forgotten to pick up preshelter and I got home to a distressing realization that this game now has too many player cards for a bcw 2-row box... I pared my magic collection down to one of those why the hell do I have this many cards for a game I play significantly less

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Everyone's favorite Amon Amarth Simulator: Blood Rage, is out on Steam. I will give my thoughts on it later. The sale lasts until the 27th so there's plenty of time.

Bah, Blood Rage will be released on Steam on the 27th of May.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing about Azul is with 2 players it's a strategy mindgame and at 4 players it's the wild west of tiles.

Also I took advantage of my local shop starting curbside pickup to get the Arkham packs I'd forgotten to pick up preshelter and I got home to a distressing realization that this game now has too many player cards for a bcw 2-row box... I pared my magic collection down to one of those why the hell do I have this many cards for a game I play significantly less

I have my investigator cards in the two row and each campaign has its own smaller 600 card box. This makes it significantly easier to get out and use, I imagine a box with everything is pretty damn heavy.

The investigator box is will probably be full after the next cycle, much less the starter decks, and then I won't know what to do.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I have my investigator cards in the two row and each campaign has its own smaller 600 card box. This makes it significantly easier to get out and use, I imagine a box with everything is pretty damn heavy.

The investigator box is will probably be full after the next cycle, much less the starter decks, and then I won't know what to do.

I bought one of those Hobby Lobby artist chests and then a wooden insert designed to fit it. It's great and has fit several cycles, but I'm pretty sure if I don't support it while lifting it the handle will rip right off.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Oh cool!

Z-man confirmed that Pandemic: Legacy is going to be a trilogy, and also announced a mini version of Pandemic that supposedly plays really fast... and that they are going to make more smaller versions of Pandemic like this!

https://zmangames.com/en/news/2020/5/7/hot-zone-series/

zm7141_layout_900px.png

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Just waiting for Pandemic Legacy 3 to have you all take on the role of the virus. <_<

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Just waiting for Pandemic Legacy 3 to have you all take on the role of the virus. <_<

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157789/pandemic-contagion

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Season 3 is going to come out in a very different world, within the context of its subject matter. I wonder how that has affected the direction of the game's development.

I hope the story and play are already complete so they aren't affected by it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    They're kinda already off in their own fantasy world. I doubt there's much in common with real life.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    They're kinda already off in their own fantasy world. I doubt there's much in common with real life.

One hopes

Spoilers for the story S1 and S2 of Pandemic Legacy only open if you have completed both:
    I mean, the core of the story of the Legacy series is based around a corrupt set of government officials bio-engineering a disease, deliberately infecting the population, and then intentionally sabotaging the international relief efforts to fight said disease. Then, once that is quasi-successful, those infected go off and live on floating havens while said government basically manipulates the normal people who are now susceptible to another disease into becoming super reliant on them.

It's basically the worst conspiracy theories about the current real-life pandemic in game form. And if they are going to continue the story -- it wasn't immediately obvious that S2 followed on from S1 as closely as it did -- then the world is going to be a very, very different place.

And personally, if anything this pandemic has made the game more realistic, in terms of spread and people being stupid. :)

So yeah. It's a game. I am excited to do a S3. Given that I did a good large chunk of S2 over Zoom calls when one of our players moved, I'm all ready for this.

Playing November tonight. So excited.

4dm3dwuxq302.png