As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'll second GundamPlanet. Nothing but good experiences with them so far.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm building the RG Gundam Mk. II and it has these mesh-wrapped power cables on the legs (maybe other parts too) and I cannot fucking wrangle these little things at all

The leg ones are a pain. The ends aren't covered up by armor so use a lighter and singed the edges so they don't fray and then make a small ball of poster putty to plug up the ends to keep the wire inside. You can try using masking tape to hold them in place while you build the rest of the legs too.

Edit: This is mainly about the 10mm ones that go behind the knees. The other ones go above the feet and in the backpack and way easier to deal with.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    My vote is HGUC Hyaku-Shiki (Gold Coating), because I'm guessing the gold will be a nightmare to get off the sprues without marks, so it might be nice to get it out of the way ASAP.

And then when you're done, you'll be able to hold it up like a trophy.

I built the regular one a little while ago and iirc all the gold parts are undergated, so maybe not that bad.
    Oh, that's cool! I heard about some sets doing that, but didn't know the details.

I wonder why they don't undergate all parts on all kits. Is it that the design/manufacturing process becomes that much more difficult or expensive? Are they assuming that people enjoy sanding down the sprue nubs? It seems like putting all the gates on the hidden side of every part would be a huge win for everyone (except, I guess, the people who like to sand plastic).

iirc it's harder for the plastic to get injected through undergates which increases the risk of production defects on top of the extra design costs/time

quoting someone from discord
    undergates are convenient for snap building but from a design and engineering point of view I can’t imagine they’d be really easy or convenient

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Building a new kit finally

Hint:

lossy-page1-440px-Consumer_Reports_-_Kenmore_microwave_oven.tif.jpglossy-page1-440px-Consumer_Reports_-_Kenmore_microwave_oven.tif.jpg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Building the Daban 8812 MG Astray Red Frame Kai. It's a really amazingly engineered kit with really terrible joint tolerances. There are parts everywhere to allow for extra movement, sliding pistons and joints, etc. But some stuff is very tight and needs to be filed to make it looser. Other stuff you have to drill out pin holes because the pins are just too big.

One the first arm, I went to test the movement range and immediately snapped it in half at the elbow. The entire connection between the upper and lower arm is held together by a very thin piece that necks down just where the torque will be highest. I had to perfectly align my drill to pin it with 3/64" copper bar I have from a model train company, and there was barely any clearance on the edges. But I managed to drill it perfectly, twice, so the piece is repaired. On the other arm, I made sure to loosen up the joints more.

It's a great kit, but will challenge you as a builder to get things to work properly.

My two PGs from overseas may finally have shipped air to the US, so I will have those to build at some point in the future. At the same time, I was getting frustrated with not having one to build, so I just bought the PG Astray Red Frame Kai from a US Ebay store, so it should be here this weekend.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    LEGO Tensegrity Sculpture Tutorial 3:33
    https://youtu.be/6xbnrEqMr5Y

edit:
    The Ultimate LEGO Tensegrity Anti-Gravity Sculptures! 14:13
    https://youtu.be/2ieGV5pv6Ks

Peas on
  • Options
    Well ran into an issue with the Ex-S. Noticed one of the back skirts was very loose and it turned out that the screw had basically just bored out the hole it was supposed to go into instead of threading into it. Was essentially just hanging on there.

Swapped it out for one of the longer screws, which fixed it but now I'll be short one of those later, and there's a weeeee bump on the outside of the skirt where the long screw pushed against it from the inside.

The old back skirt pieces from the 1.0 kit are in the box, but I don't know if they are compatible with the 1.5 pieces. Also worried if I unscrew this screw I won't be able to get it back in.

I think I could glue in the screw if worse comes to worse, but the black bar that swivels on it will probably end up still being kind of loose.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Kotobukiya just put up a new reprint - a markings+ version of Lightning Saix.

I found out about this because my new Zoids dealer posted a pre-order page.

It ain't the Irvine Custom, which I'd like too, but I am not gonna say no to one of the only non-liker OG Zoids I have multiples of.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Hey folk, the best Gundam podcast just started a new season and the first ep is free and I very much recommend it.

If you like it it's only $1 a month for weekly episodes.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Char Eater!

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Quick P-Bandai question...do they ever end pre-orders early? Like there's some kits that say they're open until August and still available...but then there's ones like Woundwort, which should be open for another 3 months, but says out of stock.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Quick P-Bandai question...do they ever end pre-orders early? Like there's some kits that say they're open until August and still available...but then there's ones like Woundwort, which should be open for another 3 months, but says out of stock.

yeah, they apparently have a ceiling on preorder numbers

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Trying out a new configuration of an Action Base 5. Last time I tried a pose like this, I used a 1, I think, and I snapped a little peg inside the bottom of the figurine. This time I'm using a clamp. It appears to be working quite well!

dFuw4gMh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Well ran into an issue with the Ex-S. Noticed one of the back skirts was very loose and it turned out that the screw had basically just bored out the hole it was supposed to go into instead of threading into it. Was essentially just hanging on there.

Swapped it out for one of the longer screws, which fixed it but now I'll be short one of those later, and there's a weeeee bump on the outside of the skirt where the long screw pushed against it from the inside.

The old back skirt pieces from the 1.0 kit are in the box, but I don't know if they are compatible with the 1.5 pieces. Also worried if I unscrew this screw I won't be able to get it back in.

I think I could glue in the screw if worse comes to worse, but the black bar that swivels on it will probably end up still being kind of loose.

Huzzah! Fixed it!

The 1.0 part is just very slightly thicker than the 1.5 part, so the wing fits a bit too snug. BUT that whole deal is only used for the transformation which I'm going to do like, once probably and as long as I dont just yank on the thing it should be completely fine.

If I really wanted to I could probably file down the edge but I think I'm good. You cant tell the difference if you dont know to look for it and even then you can only see it if you upskirt the poor lad.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Haro-Ball-Zam? Ball-Haro-Zam? Ball Ham?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Big Ball Haro.

• Options
    A certain video over in the YouTube channel suddenly makes me want to have models of the BeBop and the Swordfish II. Though it looks like the BeBop might not have any models out there...

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    A certain video over in the YouTube channel suddenly makes me want to have models of the BeBop and the Swordfish II. Though it looks like the BeBop might not have any models out there...

Swordfish II

I got this, but I haven't touched it yet

edit: nvm I see you meant Bebop specifically

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Ex-S update: legies!
    Now that's an inner frame
    Vgf1KmP.jpg

Shins! Not pictured: me disassembling like an entire leg cause I put a knee joint in backwards
    nYpzD4b.jpg

1 day and several hours of building later, a leg is born
    Pt6ZJWK.jpg

sleepin on the job
    Nytnj7e.jpg

about 1/3 done, woo!
    SVWRqzJ.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I keep seeing ads for the Neo Zeong Narrative edition.

That has WAY too many hands.

• Options

Is Bandai planning to do a reprint or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Is Bandai planning to do a reprint or something?

I don't think so. Facebook just picked up on me visiting a few different storefronts, and now one is pushing itself on me really hard.

• Options
    I think they are finally going to do a reprint of the AGE line though, or at least USA GundamShop's restock dates seem to point at that.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm considering getting some pandemic Gunpla kits

I am looking at an rg char's Zaku ii, rg tallgeese ew version, and a master grade god gundam.

• Options
    Well shit, I either lost or used a part that goes into the ball joint that joins the legs to the waist. So until I get a replacement from Japan the Unicorn is gonna go Zeong style.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm building the PG Astray Red Frame Kai, and so far, I'm disappointed. I knew going into it that it was going to be based off of the PG Astray Red Frame with some improvements, but some of the decisions they made to keep the price down are just mind boggling.

For example, the original kit only came with one Katana (Gerbera Straight). The new kit comes with both katanas (+ Tiger Pierce). Almost all of the Katana parts are on unique runners, except for the dark grey parts that make up the pattern on the hilt. These are on the sprue with almost all of the parts for the rifle. So, rather than adding the two pieces you need to one of the new sprues, they give you two rifle sprues. But what they don't give you is the polycap needed for the adjustable handle or the sight. And not having the sight is especially galling, because they have clear green pieces on the new sprues for the Tactical Arms. I could have had a second functional rifle for like an additional $0.50 of parts. Which on a kit that retails at $270 is nothing.

And I'm taking the Athenor approach to this kit, where I'm building a part, then detailing. For me, I also wanted to add waterslides at the same time. Except, that while the original kit had waterslides for the rifle and shield, the new kit doesn't. Why cheap out on a nickels worth of waterslides, especially when you're already providing them with the kit! So I've had to order a $10 set of waterslides just so they aren't totally plain and boring.

And finally, the kit comes with an Action Base 1 for the Tactical Arms. The Action Base is necessary if you wanna do certain poses with the Tactical Arms, because it's such a big weapon. But I really wish they had included the stand from the Skygrasper/Aile Strike set, as that fits the PG Astray Red Frame, and would let you get more poses. I shouldn't have to buy a $60-70 kit just for the stand that it comes with.

Building a Perfect Grade should be an event, and it is, but for as little as a 5% increase in the price this kit could have gone from Very Good to Perfection.

• Options
    I'm noticing a trend, Heffling. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

• Options
    What trend? That we're building and detailing at the same time?

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

All the extra pieces/runners that are included but missing just the right pieces to make functional gear. (See all the pics of my wasted PG frames above)

• Options
    PG Unicorn is a 9/10 cause it only came with stickers instead of waterslides. I know Bandai made waterslides cause the Full Armor upgrade kit has them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Last night I ordered the Mudrock and Slave Wraith from Gundam Planet - both preorders so who knows when I'll get them

Also snagged the V2

• Options
    PG Unicorn is a 9/10 cause it only came with stickers instead of waterslides. I know Bandai made waterslides cause the Full Armor upgrade kit has them.

I know that waterslides/dry transfers are better than sticker style decals. I really do.

But BOY the likelihood I'll ever get through a sheet of waterslides or dry transfers is basically 0%.

The Ex-S came with sticker style decals and that means I'm actually going to get them on the thing.

The sheet of waterslides that came with the Banshee VerKa give me fuckin anxiety just looking at them (which BTW, if anyone ever needs those for a replacement or something, hit me up).

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

All the extra pieces/runners that are included but missing just the right pieces to make functional gear. (See all the pics of my wasted PG frames above)

That happens with any kits based on another kit, or refreshes of old kits. It's just frustrating that it happens at the PG scale and price point.

• Options
    Just got tracking info for my Hyzanthelay-2 so I suppose Blue Fin is back up and running.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So did I, which was a welcome surprise. Forgot I even ordered the thing.

• Options

I know that waterslides/dry transfers are better than sticker style decals. I really do.

But BOY the likelihood I'll ever get through a sheet of waterslides or dry transfers is basically 0%.

The Ex-S came with sticker style decals and that means I'm actually going to get them on the thing.

The sheet of waterslides that came with the Banshee VerKa give me fuckin anxiety just looking at them (which BTW, if anyone ever needs those for a replacement or something, hit me up).

Just start with an arm or gun or something. Waterslides aren't hard to apply, and they look great when you're done.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Just got tracking info for my Hyzanthelay-2 so I suppose Blue Fin is back up and running.

Gasp
    Come onnnnnnn G40

• Options

Just start with an arm or gun or something. Waterslides aren't hard to apply, and they look great when you're done.

I mean, they kinda hard when your workspace is your bed with a d&d book on it.

X22wmuF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.