As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    we might not be getting any grand showing from Nintendo in the coming months but i think we can safely say that 2020's E3 season has been officially kicked off by Ubisoft.

https://youtu.be/L0Fr3cS3MtY

Assassin's Creed Valhalla finally officially confirmed! the trailer followed a setting reveal via art stream(yes really), with game play following next week when MS will be showing off a number of 3rd party Xbox Series X games.

Xbox first part offerings are being teased for 'summer'.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    No Direct from Nintendo in June, due to problems with working from home during the pandemic. There might possibly be some announcements or such, but no Direct.

The details for the delay are pretty interesting.
    The issue is that while many people outside of Japan view the country as on the cutting edge of technology, this isn’t the case will all aspects of its business culture. In a story in The Washington Post, reporter Simon Denyer explains that many IT departments and corporate strategies haven’t changed in Japan since the 1990s. Companies still regularly use fax to send documents, and they have “little awareness of cloud computing or video conferencing tools.”

But that tech aversion extends beyond the workplace and into people’s homes. As Yuri Kageyama writes for the AP, “many Japanese lack the basic tools needed to work from home.” This includes personal computers, but often people don’t even have Wi-Fi.

The slow embrace of the cloud and other tools, however, is likely less about a fear of technology. Japan places supreme importance on conducting business with face-to-face meetings. Decision-makers throughout the Japanese economy believe that they cannot show proper respect without appearing in-person.

Which means other Japanese developers might be slow to do their announcements too. Or maybe they'll get their acts together faster. Who the hell knows.

This explains Nintendo's online efforts so much.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    No Direct from Nintendo in June, due to problems with working from home during the pandemic. There might possibly be some announcements or such, but no Direct.

The issue is that while many people outside of Japan view the country as on the cutting edge of technology, this isn’t the case will all aspects of its business culture. In a story in The Washington Post, reporter Simon Denyer explains that many IT departments and corporate strategies haven’t changed in Japan since the 1990s. Companies still regularly use fax to send documents, and they have “little awareness of cloud computing or video conferencing tools.”

But that tech aversion extends beyond the workplace and into people’s homes. As Yuri Kageyama writes for the AP, “many Japanese lack the basic tools needed to work from home.” This includes personal computers, but often people don’t even have Wi-Fi.

The slow embrace of the cloud and other tools, however, is likely less about a fear of technology. Japan places supreme importance on conducting business with face-to-face meetings. Decision-makers throughout the Japanese economy believe that they cannot show proper respect without appearing in-person.

Which means other Japanese developers might be slow to do their announcements too. Or maybe they'll get their acts together faster. Who the hell knows.

Sony is also a Japanese company

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

It would also explain many a Japanese company's Steam efforts.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    In the late 2000s we had to turn down taking on a Japanese client for our messaging service because we couldn't meet their faxing requirements. We had just stood down most of our fax capability and we couldn't come to a reliable determination if there would be a return on investment in building it back up again, so we passed. They wanted *everything* faxed, even just interpersonnel messaging, and the volume would have overwhelmed what we had scaled down to for some 'legacy' clients. We never did figure out why they reached out to us in the first place; the general consensus was they couldn't find anyone to handle them but it seemed like something local to Japan should have been able to do since they'd already be familiar with that kind of need. M

In fairness we had (and to this day still do have) some doctors who refused to budge on alpha paging (ie beepers) and go to insane lengths, and not inconsiderable expense, to keep them on service.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Eh, pagers are more defensible in the same way hard line phones are useful during emergencies.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also the way pagers work doesn't require cell towers from my amateur understanding so they're pretty much the only things that work in some places like hospitals and prisons

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, that's a big ole middle finger to The Entertainment Software Association. Especially with getting Iam8bit.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    and EA next up on the schedule is EA. bit more of a wait for this one, they'll be showing off their upcoming slate on June 11th.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Answering what we all already knew to be the case, Tokyo Game Show 2020 has been canceled.

Ubisoft's thing is: July 12.

So yeah, we're not going to get a single week bursting with game news this year.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ubisoft's thing is: July 12.

So yeah, we're not going to get a single week bursting with game news this year.

I mean, this is what we were trending toward anyways.

Is there a spreadsheet with all currently known events on it, or do I have to make one myself?

Because I'll do it, you don't even know.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I wonder if we're going to need some sort of trailers thread similar to what they have for movies in the D&D subforum.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    If Nintendo's June Direct is cancelled due to WFH issues, I wonder if that means the Pokemon DLC scheduled for June could be delayed

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Should we use this thread to discuss Summer Games stuff?

Again?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Yeah but good this time

Crippl3 wrote: »
    Ken O wrote: »
    Didn't they do a THPS remaster a few years ago that was received really poorly? I recall seeing the Hanger level redone but I don't remember the specifics.

THPS HD was a pseudo-remake of 1 and 2 mashed together, but it was developed by a studio (Robomodo) who's only experience on the franchise were the bad motion controlled Ride and Shred games, had an entirely different and worse physics system, a new soundtrack, a very small level selection, and a lack of features from previous games like local multiplayer and create-a-skater.
    This is a full remake of 1 and 2, by a developer (Vicarious Visions) with previous experience on the franchise for years, using the original physics system but also adding in the revert system from THPS 3 and onwards, create-a-skater and create-a-park from 2 and later, and (at least some of) the original soundtrack plus the original roster and original levels.

Looks like Nintendo isn't the only Japanese company struggling with this.

Looks like Nintendo isn't the only Japanese company struggling with this.

Who knows, this could be better? I'm sure some games are ready well before E3 and are waiting for others to show everything.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    two weeks of E3? FORGET THAT, THREE MONTHS OF KEIGHLEYS BAYBEE, starting now

They played Mad World as a pre-show song, Gears 6 confirmed

i guess this goes here now, Mafia Trilogy inbound.

looks like we're getting remasters of 1 and 2 as part of the package. full reveal next week.

Nice. Mafia 2 is a classic.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So Unreal Engine 5 demo running on PS5.

THAT is what I wanted to see. Shit looked cool as hell.

and the Keighly stream was a demo of Unreal Engine 5 running on PS5, and is now and interview with high ups from Epic on the engine and console.

details and video of the demo can be found here.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Definitely an impressive looking demo. I have no idea what a lot of it means, but from an aesthetic standpoint that looked really good. And given how much UE is used in the industry it's good their getting a refresh for next-gen consoles.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The one thing that gives me the shits and giggles is that there was all this noise about loading screens being a thing of the past with these new superpowered SSDs, and here we are opening with this incredible tech demo... with a character sidewalking through a rock crawlspace. At best, incredible troll move

• MorranMorran Registered User regular
    On the interview stream they talked a bit about how assets designed for commercial or movies would now be easily accessible for game designers.

Would be pretty cool to watch whatever is the next Star Wars movie and then jump in to those exact same x-wings for some pew-pew dogfighting.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

looks like we're getting remasters of 1 and 2 as part of the package. full reveal next week.

I'm glad you spoiled this as going into it thinking we were getting Mafia 4 and finding out it's just a re-release of one very old game, an old game, and a not very good game would have been a let down,

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dynamic lighting? How retro.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The one thing that gives me the shits and giggles is that there was all this noise about loading screens being a thing of the past with these new superpowered SSDs, and here we are opening with this incredible tech demo... with a character sidewalking through a rock crawlspace. At best, incredible troll move

I sort of feel like that was to set up the bit at the end where she flies through the entire landscape? Like, they cue you on it early on to blow that expectation away at the end.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.

The demo was probably designed to also be run on a PC with a normal SSD.

Wraith260 wrote: »

I'm glad you spoiled this as going into it thinking we were getting Mafia 4 and finding out it's just a re-release of one very old game, an old game, and a not very good game would have been a let down,

i mean they're being pretty upfront about what it is they'll be showing. if anyone goes into this thinking that its going to be focusing on Mafia 4 then they only have themselves to blame.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

I sort of feel like that was to set up the bit at the end where she flies through the entire landscape? Like, they cue you on it early on to blow that expectation away at the end.

Of course, it's not like we haven't also had sequences where you fly through massive environments in UE4 and other present-day engines, so it's not like that final sequence proves that they can do those things in open-world gameplay, just that they can do them in scripted sequences, which you can always load beforehand.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    On the interview stream they talked a bit about how assets designed for commercial or movies would now be easily accessible for game designers.

Would be pretty cool to watch whatever is the next Star Wars movie and then jump in to those exact same x-wings for some pew-pew dogfighting.

Didn't The Mandalorian use Unreal?

This discussion has been closed.