As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    There really aren't other classes like that, which is one of the things that turned me off Spellweaver. Most classes make one or two and sporadically if that.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Re triforce
    There's mana potions to generate elements but it's just so fiddly and slow, like hey guys maybe I'll be able to do something really cool next round! Unless it gets used by something that goes faster! And as a result I'm only doing something useful every other round!
    Either that or you have to convince somebody else to buy the mana potions instead and use them earlier so that you can be awesome.

There's a couple systems in Gloomhaven that I just outright did not enjoy interacting with - summons (so useless at higher levels! which is when you'll likely have access to them!), and elements.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    even if I could convince the other players to spend the gold, I'd never convince them to sacrifice a pocket item slot.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I've played spellweaver, circles and triforce. So you can imagine I was quite happy to swap to two-mini.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    I've played spellweaver, circles and triforce. So you can imagine I was quite happy to swap to two-mini.

Having come right off slogging through circles class two-mini was glorious
    Go for the eyes, Boo!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Anyone else disappointed with shop items? I feel like there's a very limited number of "correct" choices for each equipment slot, and then a ton of stuff which might be OK except that it means you aren't using the other, better thing.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    As the shop expanded, especially with some lucky random item designs, I have felt it's gotten a bit better. This depends a lot on class though I suppose. I haven't played Triforce, but there is a set of items that really helps the class and some others once you get them. The problem is that we are near the end of the story, and at prosperity 7 when the options seem to really be opening up in my opinion. Before then it's a handful of nice items for everyone, and some oddly niche stuff you do your best to find a use for.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Im feeling like the personal quests are... Uneven. We have players that are level 7 and still on their first character. Will they even get to try 3 characters on a whole campaign? Nevermind enchanting one and playing it again.

I know there are easier quests, but you've no idea which ones are hard on your first pick, so half of us got super stuck.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    Yeah, the personal quests are pretty uneven. I think a suggestion I will make to people starting a campaign, is to choose personal quests that are generic for their first character, because quests that require anything from a specific kind of scenario or enemy will probably take forever. And generic goals, even if they require a large number of whatever, will probably be much easier to finish.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I've been fudging the numbers on some personal quests. Or counting kills made by the party instead of just my character.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    Im feeling like the personal quests are... Uneven. We have players that are level 7 and still on their first character. Will they even get to try 3 characters on a whole campaign? Nevermind enchanting one and playing it again.

I know there are easier quests, but you've no idea which ones are hard on your first pick, so half of us got super stuck.

It's bad enough that it's something he actively reworked for Frosthaven. We had one person just linger at level 9 long enough that we gave him a mercy retirement while another member and I were (and still are) in stiff competition for most retirements. I think we had 3 or 4 a piece when we just let the character go. Partly this is because I have a good eye for "I can force this to happen" even before I fully got the game, but a larger part is I was lucky enough to be offered quests where there was even one option I could forced to happen. I have seen some of the choices others had to make and it was pretty garbage at times.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    Frosthaven up over 10 million with a day to go. Aiming for most-funded boardgame ever (12.4M) and will probably crush that. I'm guessing maybe 15?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Frosthaven up over 10 million with a day to go. Aiming for most-funded boardgame ever (12.4M) and will probably crush that. I'm guessing maybe 15?

They really slowed down since it's an enthusiast thing. I wonder if they'll go up much more.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    It's already over $17M for me, but you know, exchange rates.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Ally, having just completed the "don't pick up any loot" battle goal for two check marks: good thing we have a scoundrel to get all that loot out of my way

Me (scoundrel) sitting behind a pile of twelve loot tokens plus a treasure chest: I am happy to bear this burden for you

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

They really slowed down since it's an enthusiast thing. I wonder if they'll go up much more.

11 million with 18 hours left.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Ally, having just completed the "don't pick up any loot" battle goal for two check marks: good thing we have a scoundrel to get all that loot out of my way

Me (scoundrel) sitting behind a pile of twelve loot tokens plus a treasure chest: I am happy to bear this burden for you

That battle goal as a scoundrel is the worst.

• Options
    We felt it's too hard to get cash in the game, so we instituted a run-an-loot house rule. If you walk over money, you can grab it.

• Options
    We felt it's too hard to get cash in the game, so we instituted a run-an-loot house rule. If you walk over money, you can grab it.

The Scoundrel has a card that lets them do that IIRC.

• Options
    edited May 2020

That card got nerfed hard between 1st edition and 2nd edition. With the revisions, it's pretty awful, as it's only a Move 2 (originally it was a Move 4). Not completely useless, as you can increase the movement with boots or enhancement, and you could semi-combo it with a top-action move, but still. I don't think I ever even tried to make it work.

I am going to miss my top-action moves when I finally retire.

Fry on
  • Options
    edited May 2020

That card got nerfed hard between 1st edition and 2nd edition. With the revisions, it's pretty awful, as it's only a Move 2 (originally it was a Move 4). Not completely useless, as you can increase the movement with boots or enhancement, and you could semi-combo it with a top-action move, but still. I don't think I ever even tried to make it work.

I am going to miss my top-action moves when I finally retire.

Wow that's ridiculous.

Speaking of nerfs... Frosthaven almost definitely has the nerfed stamina potions, right? I made my last character without buying any of those just to do it. (It helps that Angry Face has a large hand size and not a ton of cards that burn, but still.)

Also: 12 million with 5 hours to go.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Jeez. On a whim, I just looked through a spoiler of all of the personal quest cards. I think I have completed 20 or 21 of them with my current character. Too bad none of those were the one I actually drew. RIP

• Options
    edited May 2020
    12.4 milllion with 3 hours to burn. Everything else is gravy at this point.

EDIT: $12,969,162 all told. Jeez.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    OMG, I might actually be retiring soon. Tonight's scenario finally unlocked the path for my character to retire, and the party agreed that we want to do that quest next (because it also makes progress on everyone else's quests, naturally).

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Today my group did one of the big bosses, the
    elder drake
    . The boss was nice enough to draw all of his weakest boss cards over and over, and we absolutely obliterated said boss in a handful of rounds. One guy drawing a bless on an already doubled attack didn't hurt either.

The swing on summon abilities remains a weak point, imo. This boss didn't feel like summoning any help and went down hard. Some previous ones did nothing but summon and became nightmares. I don't know why Isaac has such a fascination with random draws. Much simpler to do a timer: "every 3rd round..." Much less likely to land the party in ooze-hell.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    So, summons use your attack deck. When my summon draws a rolling invisibility, does it get the effect, or do I? We ruled that the summon did.

Made progress on my personal quest today. Throwing a retirement party for me this weekend, hopefully.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    So, summons use your attack deck. When my summon draws a rolling invisibility, does it get the effect, or do I? We ruled that the summon did.

Made progress on my personal quest today. Throwing a retirement party for me this weekend, hopefully.

The summon gets it.

Also I just retired my second character, and I really didnt like it. Another player retired at the same time and unlocked an icon we'd already unlocked, so I let her pick my unlock since it's an icon she has expressed interest in.

So I'm playing a starter character again, and I stupidly picked the personal quest to
    Kill 4 bosses. I just picked it based on the unlock, but thinking over it we've only ever killed 4 bosses. It's going to take forever.

I might not ever get to play an unlocked character I like*, but at least the game is still fun.

*The class I unlocked after maybe 20+ scenarios was the archetype I literally said 2 weeks earlier "Man I'll play anything but this archetype in RPGs."

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    There's a point in the campaign where that PQ falls fast, but it is at the "end".

• Options
    There's a point in the campaign where that PQ falls fast, but it is at the "end".

The box is full of smaller boxes full of interesting characters, but I'll never get to play any of them!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's not against the law to choose a different quest if you think it'd be more fun. I've done that more than once. Don't let the rules stop you from seeing all the content!

I never cheat during a scenario or when resolving events, but I pick whatever character quest I like. I paid over a hundred quid for this game and I'll be damned if I'm only going to see 20% of it.

• Options
    So the personal quest I'm about to complete, Take Back the Trees, unlocks the class that I believe is referred to as "Angry Face."

I'm looking at spoilers for that class's cards, and it looks pretty cool. I think I'm going to like this.
    It is amusing to me that the first card I saw featured a top action Loot 1. Just when my party thought they were done with the Scoundrel taking all the loot, LOL

• Options
    My group ain't gonna cheat! Even if I spend the rest of the campaign as starters I could hopefully get to play something else in the expansion.

Angry face is the one on my card! It's very exciting if I could ever unlock it!

• Options
    Alright, rules question. Sun demons have an attack that generates light. My Sun class has her class item:
    Consume the Light to generate 3 shield for the attack. No tap or exhaust, solely based on element.

The question is order of operations. Does each Sun demon separately generate sun? We know from the rules that they consume the element once, as a group. Basically, wondering if I could immediately consume the Sun they generated for every attack after the first for the class item.

By the same token, if Sun is out and a Night Demon draws the card that says "Consume sun: curse self", do four Night Demons put four curses into the deck or one?

• Options
    Elements are not actually generated until the end of the turn.

• Options
    From page 29, monster turn:

All monsters of the same type take individual turns at the same initiative value listed on their monster ability
    card. All elites of a type activate first, then the normal monsters of that type activate. If more than one elite
    or normal monster of a given type is present on the board, then the monsters activate in ascending numerical
    order according to the numbers on their tokens

This would imply that each Sun demon is generating Light independently at the end of its turn.

• Options
    Oh I missed "after the first" in your initial post.

• Options
    When monsters consume elements, one consumption powers up the whole group; I reason from there that the whole group would generate an element once, when they're all done.

• Options
    Yeah, that's the confusion. I don't know which one wins.

• Options
    taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the confusion. I don't know which one wins.

The FAQ on Boardgamegeek has an entry on Monsters consuming/infusing elements. The entry is:
    When a monster's initiative comes up and the monsters consume or infuse an element as part of their ability card, do they each consume/infuse an element as they take their individual turns or do they consume/infuse the element as a group?
    They consume/infuse the element as a group when the 1st monster takes their turn, with all the currently revealed monsters of that type gaining any benefit. However, if new monsters of that type are later revealed, they would need to consume the element again to gain the benefit (assuming it is available).

It is not the most helpful response, but I take it to mean that the first monster to act infuses the element at the end of their turn. Subsequent monsters of the same type on the same turn do not then also infuse the element, should it be consumed before they act.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... and, if the ability is "Consume [element] to [blah]" then that also happens on the first monster's turn, so that the first monster cannot infuse the element so that the second one can consume it, if they're somehow both consuming and infusing.