As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem Three Houses] happy goddamn deduesday my dudes

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    basically count squares without going diagonally

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Well I just finished Chapter 21 of Verdant Winds. Looks like I have one more to go?
    The reveals were pretty much exactly what I expected. Which is good in a way, I appreciate that they didn't do some red herring bullshit. But I had a small feeling of "that's it?"

One thing that confuses me: Claude goes on and on about how closed-off Fodlan is, but there's not much the game does to actually show that. It seems like a normal amount of migration/border control/cultural exchange happens. He himself is part Almyran (right?) and I have Cyril, Shamir, and Petra on my team. The notion that Fodlan is ultra-insular is not well-supported. It makes his little speeches really weird and kind of empty-feeling.

Stuff I still don't know
    The exact details of how Byleth came to be. Who their mother & father are, if anyone.
    Does anything ever come of Flayn and Seteh being father & daughter, not brother and sister? Why the subterfuge in the first place? Is she secretly super-old like they've been hinting at. Don't answer this if it's going to come up in the last mission/ending.

I'll probably hit 90 hours for this playthrough. Not sure if I'll do another one for a looooong time. The monastery stuff is getting pretty old, I'm probably going to Skip/Rest through a lot of this coming month.

Team Report:
    Byleth: The endgame has finally gotten hard enough that I don't hold Byleth back as an emergency mission-saver/difficulty control anymore. I can still just send him at anyone and he stops them.
    Claude: Does it all. Well, not magic. Not quite as good as everyone else but a flying bow-wielding heavy hitter is pretty nice.
    Lorenz: Dark Knight really puts him in a nice place. Can go in and lance soft targets, stand back and roast hard targets.
    Hilda: Just unbeatable. I had her bottle up and solo a Titanus by herself. She's taken 0 damage more times than she's taken damage.
    Raphael: Got a little better. Still kind of a big bag of hit points, but has a damn good crit chance now, and his big self heal is really nice.
    Lorenz: Also got a little better. Never misses, and his STR has gotten back to where it needs to be so his damage is respectable. My ace for flying monsters and pegasus knight enemies.
    Leonie: Probably my best overall unit. I can send her at (almost) anything without fear.
    Lysithea: Whenever I need to do a shitload of HP damage to a monster, Lysithea is there for me. Also when I want to laugh at enemy Knights.
    Marianne: She's fine. As more people have gotten magic classes and Faith magic, her niche has shrunk.

Non-Deer:
    Shamir: Has the best clutch crit rate I've ever seen. If I need a crit to take someone down, she always delivers.
    Felix: Like Byleth without the magic. Hard to hit, moderately tough including against mages.
    Petra: Got her too late and didn't have a good plan to make her work. She's mostly been an Assassin but her strength is just not cutting it anymore. She just switched to Wyvern lord but I'm at the end here, and she's just not in a competitive tier.
    Cyril: Annoys the crap out of me characterwise. Has never really distinguished himself in combat either.
    Everyone else: Not much playtime.
    Hanneman: Fuck this guy.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Cyril is the worst. He's not as dorky as Ignatz or as good and earnest a boy as Ashe.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Most of your questions are answered on different paths. I am fairly convinced you don't need to do both Silver Snow and Verdant Wind, but I could be wrong. I have never done Silver Snow and I can't imagine the few remaining questions I have get answered there.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    It took 92 hours but I beat this game. The ending itself was pretty perfunctory, oddly. A lot more happened in between the prior few missions. This one was just kind of "we won yay".

Great game, love it a lot. I don't know if I can manage another playthrough, since this one was, as mentioned, 92 hours. I'd probably do Blue Lions? They had the characters that i liked the most from my Golden Deer perspective. From the outside, I certainly don't get the Edelgard love.

I married my goth girlfriend Shamir since marrying someone you taught is creepy.

Is it possible to do anything other than kill the rival house members that you don't recruit? Sometimes it seemed like I would be able to get them to come over or at least surrender, but it never actually happened.
    How do you actually get the details on Flayn and Seteth? I did a paralogue where they admitted to being father and daughter, and there are copious hints that she's a Saint herself. But nothing definitive ever came up.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    captaink wrote: »
    It took 92 hours but I beat this game. The ending itself was pretty perfunctory, oddly. A lot more happened in between the prior few missions. This one was just kind of "we won yay".

Great game, love it a lot. I don't know if I can manage another playthrough, since this one was, as mentioned, 92 hours. I'd probably do Blue Lions? They had the characters that i liked the most from my Golden Deer perspective. From the outside, I certainly don't get the Edelgard love.

I married my goth girlfriend Shamir since marrying someone you taught is creepy.

Is it possible to do anything other than kill the rival house members that you don't recruit? Sometimes it seemed like I would be able to get them to come over or at least surrender, but it never actually happened.
    How do you actually get the details on Flayn and Seteth? I did a paralogue where they admitted to being father and daughter, and there are copious hints that she's a Saint herself. But nothing definitive ever came up.

You can literally avoid some of them, and there's a couple you can recruit after defeating them if you use the right unit (off the top of my head, I managed to pick up Lysithea in CF after beating her with Byleth).

I've played CF and VW and honestly I don't see how anyone could disagree with Edelgard. It helps that, whichever route you play, Byleth serves as a stabilizing element in the respective lord's life. The Edelgard post-timeskip in CF is a much different person than the one in VW. But even aside from that:
    The system that's currently in place sucks for everyone (except Rhea, who gets to be de facto ruler of the whole continent, and even she has her own problems). Obviously the poor people get oppressed like any feudal society, but even the nobility often end up suffering as they feel compelled to pursue heirs with ever-more-infrequent Crests. Claude wants to break down the walls between Fodlan and the rest of the world, and he basically lucks out that he can piggyback on all the hard work Edelgard plans to accomplish his goals. If Edelgard were just another standard ruler, he would probably have leveraged his Almyran armies to invade Fodlan. The Blue Lions route is even worse from the standpoint of upholding a broken system. Rhea has twisted the entire continent around keeping herself in power so she can do whatever hypocritical unpleasantness creates Byleth's Mom, while simultaneously crushing anyone who dares oppose her.

Edelgard has suffered in some really profound ways (I forget exactly how much you learn about it in VW, but suffice it to say she's been through stuff that would kill most people) and clearly has PTSD. She's forced to work with people who tortured her, killed her family, destroyed her relationship with her one legitimate friend, and drastically curtailed her life all to their own goals. Her ultimate plans are to betray Those Who Slither in the Dark once and for all, but the moment they think she's off her leash, they'll kill her. It's only in CF where she has the opportunity to throw off those shackles and make Fodlan a better place, which is her intention in every route. It's just easier when she's got Byleth and the rest of the Black Eagles. And she does what she says: in the epilogue of CF she finds a worthy successor and hands over the throne.

Also it's damn satisfying at the end of CF to tell Rhea, "There are no strings on me."

Terrendos on
  • Options
    So I broke down and started yet another Madness run. I wanted to give at least some of the new characters a run, but they have all disappointed me so far unfortunately. Admittedly it is very hard to make my A squad, and not having the ability to get S rank in a skill quickly puts them further behind the curve.

I did decide to try something funny though. All the Raphael talk made me wonder what his viability would be on Madness. He does manage to be an extremely awesome bag of HPs that is bolstered by obscene strength growth. He shockingly hit harder than anyone else on my team. What really make him stupid is the combination of Quick Riposte, and the new item from the 4th DLC release. The only part specific to him is the ability to just absorb punishment. I haven't gotten to the time skip yet, but he can tank 4-5 melee units or 2-3 mages while leaving nothing but corpses so far. More if he is in a forest. Fucking Petra struggles with that outside of cover (she gets nearly unhittable in cover on almost all my runs.)

Lysithea is a flying death goddess as a Dark Flier. It has hilariously ended a couple of paralogues I didn't want to be bothered with. Range 5, flying, canto, and hitting as hard as Lysithea does? Nothing stands up to that for long. Flayn I still think has the moves to be a solid Trickster, but I got late start on her so I am just beginning to do shenanigans. Probably going to dump both movement items onto her and see where the game takes me.

War Cleric has shockingly become a goal for a couple of my big units. I threw it on Raphael on a lark but it hasn't really done anything for me. Then it clicked that the class has Fistfaire built in. It is the only class I can think of that has it and is open to women. Byleth and Hilda just got another 10-20 damage they can dish out per round. I guess up to 60, but I have never seen something last through that many crits so it is more from a theoretical stand point.

The bonus paralogues for the new characters do not fuck around either. The one that had a lower recommended level was possibly the hardest pre-time skip one I have seen. It is possibly hurt by my team composition, but I can't think of a lot of ways to mitigate what they throw at you. It is just a brutal fight that requires very precise positioning.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    What's the special item you're attaching to Raph?

God I need to play this DLC

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Wyborn wrote: »
    What's the special item you're attaching to Raph?

God I need to play this DLC

Counter at any range. I think maybe it does something else minor? Or maybe a ton of little things. Honestly, I stopped paying attention to any word after counter at any range.

Edit: I looked it up. Chalice of Beginnings. Counter at any range and nullifies weaknesses. Honestly the second part isn't even minor but it still failed to register for, I think, good reason.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    Holy Jesus. They give you the Death Knight's special ability and it's just an item you can equip?

That's going to make certain characters fifteen times busted! I'm imagining slapping that on Edelgard in a tank build and it's ridiculous

...I still can't believe these cowards never let Edelgard become a Warmaster

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yeah that she can become ...a thing... but not a War Master ::raspberries::

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    War Cleric has become a goal for many of my physical units. If they happen to get some surprisingly decent Magic levels, I tend to aim people towards becoming Punch Monks.

I haven't yet made Edelgard a Punch Monk, but I intend to. At some point. When I feel like dealing with her Faith weakness.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    NG++++

But all SS, not CF

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Oh man I got super excited and super mad at the same time post time skip. Abyss added the fortune teller which let's you finally play full match maker for your team! It costs 10k reputation a pop. I found this out after spending the last of mine because hey, when am I ever going to really need it right? I think you can offer cheap trinkets for small amounts of reputation though. Some pagan god better be ready to get 8 billion worms so I can live the dream.

• Options
    As far as I could tell, the fortune teller can only play matchmaker for one couple on your team.

• Options
    The mixture of excitement and rage continues! Who is deserving enough of a happy ending to get the one I know they deserve?! So many amazing characters and so many possibilities. I just want people to have happy endings! Is that too much to ask?!

• Options
    Well, you can always do what I did: only get the A-rank support for the people you want to pair up.

• Options
    So I finally have spent some quality time with Trickster Flayn and I must say it is just about everything I expected. She does great back up healing for Mercedes when one heal isn't quite enough, but Fortify is still a waste. Rescue works wonders as a way to throw a person around and then still be able to run to safety. Foul Play does largely the same role but doesn't give experience and puts Flayn in a bit more danger. She does at least have a good spell pool for taking out armored and flying units even though she has missed too many chances for magic improvements. Not game changingly effective I would say, but she pulls her weight on my A team so she ain't bad at her job either. The half spells does suck a lot though. I was not prepared for 2 rescues and only 1 fortify per battle, but it still has managed to work out pretty well.

Of note, I have invested in this Flayn concept. She has both movement items and Yuri's relic which gives her a ton of move. I also gave her a nudge in magic, but I think only one +2 or maybe +3 total so nothing ridiculous. Her specific spell pool is mostly nice in giving ways to maneuver when you want no one to be in the spot you are pulling someone out of, and hitting flying units so hard. Fortify sounds nicer than it is since it heals a lot less than your typical Priest Fortify.

• Options
    *kicks door down*

There a relic that gives you movement?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    *kicks door down*

There a relic that gives you movement?

That's honestly the least of what it does. +1 movement and Canto on the relic. You get it from a pre-time skip paralogues at that. It is what makes the Trickster work in my eyes. The Abyss stuff has added a lot of fun toys.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    So everything I have been hinted at and told during my Black Eagles run indicates I am helping “the bad guys”. I do wonder though, throughout the 11 months so far I have played it really gives me the impression the Church are assholes. I am curious to see if the other houses play through a will confirm this or not.

I am doing Blue Lions next - I know what choice I will make in Chapter 12 but nothing beyond that. Will Blue Lions give me a very different perspective?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Yes, and no.

The story and characters will be starkly different at times (though that’s mostly post-chapter 12), yet you’ll find yourself playing many of the same maps with similar premises.

Black Eagles’ route (assuming you’re following Edelgard) is definitely the most unique of all the routes, though, so it does provide a good contrast to any other route.

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So everything I have been hinted at and told during my Black Eagles run indicates I am helping “the bad guys”. I do wonder though, throughout the 11 months so far I have played it really gives me the impression the Church are assholes. I am curious to see if the other houses play through a will confirm this or not.

I am doing Blue Lions next - I know what choice I will make in Chapter 12 but nothing beyond that. Will Blue Lions give me a very different perspective?

Dimitri certainly does have a very different perspective on things than Edelgard does, yes.

• Options
    Also this is actually my first Fire Emblem Game and I personally think it’s one of the best tactics games I have played in ages. The rewind time mechanic makes taking risks and playing bold viable. I also love how the difficulty curve has been so god damned perfect on hard/classic. I am starting to stomp guys, but I still need to be cautious and think - as my other units are still vulnerable if I am stupid.

• Options

Because this has come up for folks before—just remember to talk to everyone in the monastery every month!

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    You fucking what game? You WHAT. Just made a certain decision in Black Eagles route...
    I knew the church were shitheads but a fucking dragon?!?

• Options
    You fucking what game? You WHAT. Just made a certain decision in Black Eagles route...

Oh just you wait. Shit gets crazier.

• Options

Oh @Aegeri I am so glad you're playing this game.

• Options
    I am really looking forward to playing as Blue Lions now, because I'm really curious how this is viewed from someone who isn't close to the source of the issue/problem.

I was annoyed though when everyone was all purge happy again. It's like Oprah at this point! You get a purge! And you get a purge! And look under your seats, IT'S A PURGE!

• Options
    Azure Moon after Crimson Flower is a pretty interesting tonal shift

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hubert is a good example of the depth they get to characters in this. He plays up the ruthless vizier, he's Edelgard's spymaster and has no issues with getting his hands dirty. But he's very supportive towards her allies, even if he's very rough about it? They did a good job of building nuance beyond his initial impressions.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hubert is one of the most open-book students you can meet. "Hello I will do anything for Edelgard and people tell me I act cold and distant."

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Hubert is possibly my favorite character in this game and I was very much not expecting that to be the case when I first met him

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Hubert, like Edelgard, is a twist on a stock Fire Emblem character.

He's the incredibly evil magical advisor who absolutely cannot be trusted and probably has his own agenda. And Hubert actually kind of is that exact character. But also not, in a really interesting and fun way.

• Options
    I actually quite liked him. His refreshingly honest outward evil shenanigans was quite a pleasant change.

I have finally gone beyond the time skip. I love how all of the students develop their own sense of fashion! Also we've totally done wonders with the place:
    What, with all the giant holes in the church etc. Also I loved the reaction of the chippy gate keeper guy, who informed me his brother joined up with the Church and followed them wherever they went

My only question about the time skip though is
    Did I get my shit wrecked by a dragon? Why on earth couldn't a dragon fend off the handful of students and whoever else was there after dealing with me? I'm not entirely sure how that's supposed to have worked in the narrative/

• Options
    I actually quite liked him. His refreshingly honest outward evil shenanigans was quite a pleasant change.

I have finally gone beyond the time skip. I love how all of the students develop their own sense of fashion! Also we've totally done wonders with the place:
    What, with all the giant holes in the church etc. Also I loved the reaction of the chippy gate keeper guy, who informed me his brother joined up with the Church and followed them wherever they went

My only question about the time skip though is
    Did I get my shit wrecked by a dragon? Why on earth couldn't a dragon fend off the handful of students and whoever else was there after dealing with me? I'm not entirely sure how that's supposed to have worked in the narrative/

Well
    There were two armies there: the imperial army and Edelgard, who is basically a one unit army. You'll get more information on what really happened trickling in as you proceed.

• Options
    So as I have continued to plug through my latest play through I have come to understand the wisdom of the Brannigan Offensive. You see I have taken to having a squad of 3 flier led by Lysithea to harass back lines while the rest of my forces charge forward. More accurately, Lysithea, and Constance fly around murdering whatever they want with the help of a friendly archer. Also Dorothea with Meteor, but not sustained obviously. So far the best defense the game has offered is running my mages out of spells. This does eventually force a retreat, and is so far the closest I have seen to an effective counter to a five range flying death machine that is Lysithea.

• Options
    Alright, for my next playthrough I really ought to do something different.
    I've always managed to recruit everyone, so Part 2 loses a bit of its impact. This time, though, I'm going for Maximum Tragedy. No recruiting anyone!

Well, except for Lysithea and Hanneman. I'm gonna recruit them. They're basically honorary Black Eagles anyway.

Oh, and Leonie and Alois, obviously. Naturally, they're gonna stick with Jeralt's kid.

And Annette's so sweet and innocent, I can't let her die. And if I'm recruiting Annette, I'm recruiting Mercedes. I'm not gonna tear those two apart, I'm not a monster.

But apart from them, Maximum Tragedy.

Hmm. On second thought, maybe I'll just go for, like, an all-mounted team gimmick.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I highly recommend a "Steal all of Dimitri's friends" playthrough as Black Eagles
    Watching Ingrid, Felix, and Sylvain grow increasingly jaded as the war went on was definitely a thing

7h8wnycre6vs.png