As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So here's a question

How do you Ferber train a kid who isn't crying but who will not sleep in her crib

Do we just exit the room to force start it?

edit: went with that, when placed into bed she just wanted to play and stay awake.

we might need to rebuild the crib though.

Don't leave your screwdrivers in the crib next time.

daddy might need them tomorrow morning, I've got OJ but I'll need to go get a bottle of Cuervo

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    So here's a question

How do you Ferber train a kid who isn't crying but who will not sleep in her crib

edit: went with that, when placed into bed she just wanted to play and stay awake.

Don't leave your screwdrivers in the crib next time.

daddy might need them tomorrow morning, I've got OJ but I'll need to go get a bottle of Cuervo

We've started to move our 3 year old toward a toddler bed. First a pillow and a blanket about 6 months ago when we stopped using a sleep sack. Now she has a little cot that she's slept on before when visiting family that she gets to use during nap time (when we're guaranteed to be awake to monitor).

Once we build good behaviors doing that it'll be time to convert the crib over to a bed and see how weird shit gets.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    We went straight from a crib to a bed, no fiddling with crib conversion kits. We got a railing to stop the child falling out of bed at night but she only needed it about 3 months.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    So here's a question

So, iirc, Ferber training you aren't supposed to be in the room for it anyways.

But also, Sapling is sleep trained, and a lot of times will sit in the crib and talk to herself for a while. Usually she'll fall asleep after a while, so times she gets pretty loud and we'll go back and tell her that its bed/nap time.

Edit: also, when did everyone else switch from using a crib? Sapling is almost 3 and still in a crib. It has a conversion kit that it came with, but I think the plan was to switch straight to a bed, but I'm not sure how long most people wait.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We went straight from a crib to a bed, no fiddling with crib conversion kits. We got a railing to stop the child falling out of bed at night but she only needed it about 3 months.

We did a toddler bed for a little while around the time the kiddo was 18 months. But she's always been a huge kid, and she was able to stand well over the top of the rail by that point. Switched her to a full bed a little after 2 since we had moved anyway and no sense rebuilding it as a toddler bed if we were going to switch it again shortly.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We got this big thing that went from crib height to bed height. Front side then eventually comes off so she was in that until at least 4 or 5.

So yeah probably around 3 we took the front of and put in one of those mesh guards that just hook under the matress. She could get out by herself sitting up, no real chance of her falling out of bed though.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Hey, so guess what babies hate even more then vaccinations?

Nurses in masks.

Hoooooly shit, I have never seen my poor daughter so scared. And I could barely console her because I couldn’t take off my mask. If you have a vaccination visit coming up for a baby, I would highly recommend doing something to acclimate them to the sight of lots of people in masks.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular

We did a toddler bed for a little while around the time the kiddo was 18 months. But she's always been a huge kid, and she was able to stand well over the top of the rail by that point. Switched her to a full bed a little after 2 since we had moved anyway and no sense rebuilding it as a toddler bed if we were going to switch it again shortly.

We switched ours to the toddler bed (conversion kit) at 3, which has the 3 crib sides and then a rail that only goes halfway across... so they can get out but won't roll out.

Honestly for us the reason to not go full bed is just more about space (we still have our 3.4-yr old twins in the same room until we move in a few months)

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    For my oldest we swapped to a toddler conversion the first time they demonstrated they could get out of the crib, which was a little after 2. Didn't get them into a real bed until 4, mainly out of being a broke college student.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    We switched to bed from crib at 2 because she climbed over and fell out so we figured it would be safer for her to fall the shorter distance from the mattress to the floor than over the railing again.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    We switched to bed from crib at 2 because she climbed over and fell out so we figured it would be safer for her to fall the shorter distance from the mattress to the floor than over the railing again.

That was our litmus test both times

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    My soon-to-be 3 year old just discovered the word “butt”. A good time is having had by all.

• Options
    Ursus wrote: »
    My soon-to-be 3 year old just discovered the word “butt”. A good time is having had by all.

Allow me to introduce your child to one of my child's favorite books.

• Options
    Luckily so far, Sapling doesn't seem inclined to do much climbing, although I question how long that will last.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    we've had some awesome success with sleep training this last week, I need to do a proper post

a quick question though: if we tried a 7pm bedtime and she was still playful and not tired, but an 8pm bedtime worked great. today, though, she's run herself ragged in the summer heat and she's already tired.

Move up bedtime to 7 or stick with the 8pm that's been working?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    we've had some awesome success with sleep training this last week, I need to do a proper post

a quick question though: if we tried a 7pm bedtime and she was still playful and not tired, but an 8pm bedtime worked great. today, though, she's run herself ragged in the summer heat and she's already tired.

We try and not vary the sleep times by more than 30 minutes for one off occurrence, and for initial steps of ongoing changes. So if she misses a nap lets say, or is especially tired, we might go to bed 30 minutes earlier (but no more). Or if she gets up late from her last nap we might put her down 30 minutes later. If she is consistently tired every night, we might start putting her to bed 30 minutes earlier (on average) every night for a while. If she is still tired after a few weeks, then maybe we consider another 30 minutes earlier.

Seems to work ok. I've heard suggestions all over the map though, so who knows. The only thing that seems to make the most sense to me, and has helped the most for our kiddo, is consistency. Same thing, every night, as much as possible.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Ask her? When our kids are super active and need that early bedtime, we'll ask them and get the head on the shoulder "oh yes please".

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My daughter is a master at sleep avoidance.

She has never voluntarily slept or gone to bed (she’s 8 now). For the first 5 years of her life (because her brother arrived when she was 3 and isn’t much better) I survived on 3-4 hours of sleep a night. She completely gave up naps at 13 months, too.
    schuss wrote: »

Ask her? When our kids are super active and need that early bedtime, we'll ask them and get the head on the shoulder "oh yes please".

It is so bizarre to me that a kid would actually admit to being tired and agree to go to bed. Like seriously.

• Options
    When my daughter asks to go to bed, I know she is sick. That's the only time it happens.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

She has never voluntarily slept or gone to bed (she’s 8 now). For the first 5 years of her life (because her brother arrived when she was 3 and isn’t much better) I survived on 3-4 hours of sleep a night. She completely gave up naps at 13 months, too.

It is so bizarre to me that a kid would actually admit to being tired and agree to go to bed. Like seriously.

yeah, same. Daughter was so anti-sleep that if you mentioned she looked sleepy or might be falling asleep she'd just aggressively fight her way through exhaustion and be a nightmare for a couple more hours. Early bedtime was not a thing that existed in our house. Not in a quarter century can I think of a time when any of the three of them would go to bed early.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burpette used to just announce "bed" and stop whatever she was doing to go to bed. It was great.

She's less good now. Getting a nap out of her can be tricky but she's an absolute shit if she goes more than 3 days without an afternoon nap.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

It's only happened a few times on our side too, but it helps in a few ways:
    1. It gives them a choice. People like having choices
    2. If they say no, you can say "Ok, but no crazy time" and there's a kind of implicit contract there. Don't ask my why it helps, but it does.
    3. It opens the door in the future for them to say they're tired.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Quarantine fun fact: If you forget to lock the pantry, three 3 year-olds can consume a dozen Krispy Kreme original glazed donuts in about four minutes.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    When my daughter asks to go to bed, I know she is sick. That's the only time it happens.

My daughter says she wants to go chill on her bed when she actually wants to find the kitten and lock him in the bedroom with her.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

My daughter says she wants to go chill on her bed when she actually wants to find the kitten and lock him in the bedroom with her.

My sons aren't terrible at going to bed, but, they have to be kept on a strict schedule and do everything in order and regularly. They still go insane in the bath and for like 5 minutes faster though, which is exhausting. And then wake up at exactly 6:35 to 6:40.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The always waking up at the same time thing led to a startling piece of advice from our pediatrician, if you want the kid to sleep longer put them to bed earlier.

Obviously doesn't work one they're old enough but for our baby it was a game changer.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Anyone done any fishing with little kids? My now 4 year old was interested in it last summer when we are on vacation. Any good equipment or ideas for how to do it without someone losing an eye?

I'm mostly thinking something off a dock, etc.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Anyone done any fishing with little kids? My now 4 year old was interested in it last summer when we are on vacation. Any good equipment or ideas for how to do it without someone losing an eye?

I did this but at age 4-5 none of ours really had the patience to actually fish. We got a kid's pole from Walmart with a weight, and some colorful fake fish. Basically it's teaching them how to cast and also guaranteeing you will not catch anything, because of all the splashing.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ripley has secured her tantrum skills at 2.5 years old. If she's told no or asked not to do something she melts to the ground, typically face down, and cries.

Last night she did it while we were making dinner because we weren't holding her.

I laughed so hard when she just like melted into this little puddle of toddler when me and my wife were standing two feet from her in the kitchen.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

If you live near coastal waters where bluefish reside, August through early September is when that years babies (Snappers) move out of the creeks where they spawned and basically frenzy feed.

They're tiny, will gladly attack tiny minnow lures, poppers, whatever and are very fun to fight on light tackle. Perfect for little kids.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

If you live near coastal waters where bluefish reside, August through early September is when that years babies (Snappers) move out of the creeks where they spawned and basically frenzy feed.

They're tiny, will gladly attack tiny minnow lures, poppers, whatever and are very fun to fight on light tackle. Perfect for little kids.

I live in Vancouver, BC. Not sure if we have those type of fish here.

:so_raven:
  • Options

Small stream, jam jar, happiness.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    Couple of years ago we went on a camping trip with some friends, and someone brought kids fishing poles, and handed one to my eldest kid, who was 4 at the time.
    He proceeds to catch a fish, gets really excited, and then freaked out and got sad the rest of the evening when he realized he had killed the fish.

• Options
    heh

Day 5 of Ferver method and this is the first longer than 5min crying we've had. Makes no sense, why now.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    My 3-year-old has started jogging with me in the morning.
    By "with me" I actually mean "running quite ahead of me, and then stopping to turn around and mock-pant at me".
    Turd.

• Options
    heh

Day 5 of Ferver method and this is the first longer than 5min crying we've had. Makes no sense, why now.

Because at first it was a fun game, but now they are realizing this is the new normal, and they don't like it?

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Yup.
    Just encountered another toddler question that nothing in my life has prepared me to answer.
    She walked up to our pet kingsnake, looked at him, looked at me, and said
    "Where's the tail?"

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    Yup.
    Just encountered another toddler question that nothing in my life has prepared me to answer.
    "Where's the tail?"

Time to look at animal skeletons!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    R-dem wrote: »
    Yup.
    "Where's the tail?"

Time to look at animal skeletons!

Yeah! This actually has an answer, it's time to :whistle: learn :whistle:

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Well a near nightmare situation happened yesterday that my kids just told me about. My kids are 7 and 5 (toddler was inside thankfully) and were hanging out with the neighbor kid (who is 6). Apparently he went and got "his" real gun and showed it to both of my kids. I don't know if it was actually real or if it was a BB gun or if it was loaded. My kids told me that he got it from a hook so I don't know...

Now I have to have this super awkward conversation with him about it but I'd rather be safe and make sure that either it was fake or that he knows that his 6 year old is able to reach his gun and maybe he should lock it up.