As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Good lord @Janson. You win the plant post gold!

And seriously how are your plants so insanely healthy?? Not a brown tip in sight!

Tell me your s e c r e t s :biggrin:

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    looks like some kind of small philodendron
    but I am basically the opposite of a plant-knowing person so take that with a bucket of salt.

Could be. It's a weird plant, it's just one long vine with leaves on it, and I've coiled it up in the pot to limit how much it can actually travel so it wouldn't take over my desk.
    I need to get some kind of support frame or something for it to climb.

That's a pothos! :) They're extremely hardy, grow like weeds, super adaptable to different amounts of sun and water. I've got two and am about to try propagating my bigger one!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Haha, thank you!

I don’t know how much credit I can claim; some of these plants are pretty new to me (only 1-2 months old) so I may kill them yet. ;)

I’ve chosen a lot of shade-loving plants and then keep them in places where they only get very indirect/artificial light. I noticed that consistent temps + artificial lighting has done really well for my office plants, too! (those definitely are doing well - over 6 months now!).

However I have burned some plants! My coffee plant is slowly recovering and two of my bird’s nest fern’s leaves are crispy. I left them out on a windowsill too long one day, oops.

I also stopped worrying about watering so much... seems 1 x weekly or 1 x fortnightly works for most of them, and I fertilize about once a month.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My wee alpines have settled in and are starting to flower
    yd2ezaiugebv.jpg

This is a Saxifraga that I rescued from a pre-made display pot at the end of summer last year and put in the ground. It was all dried out and knackered when I took it out of the pot but it has doubled in size since then and is flowering loads. I love this kind of ground cover plant.
    a0ubdheza021.jpg

And the violas in the spring pot I planted a couple of weeks ago are going gangbusters. I love their happy little faces.
    9ydb306b5bsn.jpg

Spring rocks.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Those violas are beautiful! I love your pots, so well put together!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Very kind of you to say. I am really trying to learn how to do good arrangements. Tricky when most plants only look right for part of the year.

Probably the best tip I learned, from my mate Monty Don, is to put in more plants than I think I should. I always used to try and leave lots of space so things could grow, but he says nah just stuff them in.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    An old coworker of mine who was really into plants once described the ideal arrangements as having "fillers, thrillers, and spillers" and I have always remembered that haha

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, my begonias are real champions. I "propagated" them by haphazardly chopping bits off and jamming them into new pots with some rooting hormone, and all four of them are acting like it was just another Tuesday.

eg6ib4uif4pa.png

And the original plant is already well back on the path to world domination after being cut down to bare stems.

amrmjf4rlf0u.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Got various things moved out into the cold frame at the moment. Most of this has survived a couple of cool nights (1-2°c) but we have a chance of a frost over the next couple of weeks so I need to keep an eye on the weather and maybe bring some of these back inside temporarily. I also moved some small pea plants out into open ground today because they're a reasonable size now and the varieties I have should survive a moderate frost in the open now that they're relatively well established

EhQ2QQGh.jpg

Kale, fennel, some squash plants, a few tomato seedlings (Marmande), cabbages, radishes, some salad leaves, and a second sowing of peas. Not pictured, some Chilli plants (Padron and an F1 variety of Cayenne called "Heatwave") and a couple of Aubergine seedlings that went into the greenhouse today. I tried some of the salad leaves and radishes in open ground but they're not doing much of anything despite having had a week longer than those germinated in the cold frame.

I don't actually know what the peas are because the dog got hold of my seed stash and shredded a few of the packets. I salvaged the peas but I know have a undifferentiated mix of Kelvedon Wonder and Douce de Provence in a jar.

More sowings in the propagators at the moment:
    - some pumpkins, just for fun. Its a variety that is meant to produce 2 or 3 massive pumpkins per plant.
    - more tomatoes, Tigerella and a heirloom variety called Ace 55.
    - more aubergines, because the germination of the seeds I have was very poor, I got 2 seedlings and I wanted at least three plants. The packet of seeds is a mix of two varieties and I suspect that one of them is much more willing to germinate at lower temperatures than the other.
    -perpetual spinach (actually a kind of chard that makes tender, spinachy leaves). Didn't have a huge amount of luck with this last year, but I don't know how much of that was crowding and how much was pests. In any case it's going in my new mini polytunnel once it starts going outside.
    - Herbs! Coriander, Rosemary, and Parsley. I want to get some moderately sized plants established under cover that I can move out to open ground as I harvest it.

Being stuck at home means I can be a lot more organised than I have been before. I have spreadsheets and everything.

• Options
    Our front flowerbed is looking way too cheerful for current events
    t7gfmfcw0ih6.jpg

And my violas have got a friend
    ojpq71f4w2ah.jpg

One of my nephew's sunflower seedlings got munched by a slug in the cold frame, so I brought the rest indoors. This morning I found two more munched, and discovered a tiny slug had stowed away on the underside of one of the pots. So I taught my nephew what we do with slugs. (Squish)

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Last fall I had dug up an enormous clump of daffodils by the house. There were too many of them too tightly packed to bloom; a few tried but their attempts fell to bud blast. So I dug them up, pulling up dozens of bulbs per shovelful, and scattered them around town. They're coming up now. A few of them even are sending up some flower buds.

Also I missed a few dozen bulbs (not surprised since there were so many) and those are coming up in the old spot and are sending up flower buds too. Hopefully they bloom soon and we get some cheering up during the lockdown.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2020
    I bought some plant pots. It took me at least an hour, because almost nothing in this world gives me as much anxiety as choosing a plant pot. I'm still fairly sure I've somehow chosen some insta-murder pots.
    I'll have to wait till the nursery opens up later in the week to go get suitable things to put in them.

tynic on
  • Options
    I got plants! Some ivy and something else I can’t recall right now.
    Then I watched thus video and now am unsure about opening my house to these creatures

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm a bit concerned that after transplanting my seedlings they've just kinda stagnated. They're all still alive but most of them haven't grown any at all.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Same here, though I suspect I've been over watering them.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    looks like my radishes are ready!

and my potatoes are growing!

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned that after transplanting my seedlings they've just kinda stagnated. They're all still alive but most of them haven't grown any at all.

They might be putting out a lot of root growth you can't see, especially if they were filling their previous containers and now have a lot more space.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I can't keep seedlings alive. They always get to a certain point and then fall over and wilt to death. Sorry tiny babies. :(

I have added a monstera and four new cacti to my plant household, though! And the money plant I thought was dying in an extremely symbolic manner appears to be regrowing at the base, so that's cool. Also, friends of mine moved out of Singapore on Sunday and they left me a desert rose (which is wild looking and I needed help ID'ing, and seems to be super low-maintenance to the point of 'abandon it if you want it to thrive') and another three cacti.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I can't keep seedlings alive. They always get to a certain point and then fall over and wilt to death. Sorry tiny babies. :(

Sounds like maybe damping off, especially likely in high humidity. Spacing out the seedlings and engineering a way to get air circulation around them helps. You could also try sterilising your growing compound and pots before sowing the seeds, as it's caused by fungus.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    lihewkayz70w.jpg
    orvsvh9atbsd.jpg

Hi all. I wonder if someone can help with the above plant. It's not happy as you can see. The inital plant is the bare stick in the first picture. It was a cutting from a plant of my Mum's and when I got it it had a few leaves.

It lives in the patio window and gets sun for most of the day. South facing garden in the south of the UK. It used to often get neglected and I'd forget to water it for a few weeks at a time. Well when the original leaves started getting brown tips so I decided to start watering it once a week on Sunday (I now realise this probably resulted in overwatering) the lower leaves started gradually dropping off whilst new leaves would occasionally appear at the tip of the stalk but each new batch were smaller than the previous. In short order I ended up with the a bare stick and I was sad. The orignal plant of my Mum's is one she bought with my father about forty years ago and he passed away when I was six months old so I'm quite keen to keep it going.

Anyway the pot sat there for a while when I noticed not one but six new shoots appearing through the soil. Yay the NigelPlant lives. The plan was once they were a bit established but before their roots became too intertwined was to split them out into extra pots. Of course I procrastinated and then Covid happened and I haven't got any pots unless there are some in the loft.

But it all seems to be dying back again. I've cut the watering back to every once in a while but the leaves are still going brown and falling off. What should I be doing? Watering more? Less? Is it getting too much sun? Taking the dead leaves off sooner? Help me Obi Wan SE++, you're my only hope.

• Options
    How do you judge when to water it? Doing it just on a schedule isn't ideal because different things can affect how much water it wants.

Does the pot it's in have drainage holes? I assume it does as it's standing on a dish.

Any idea what the plant is?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How long has it been in that pot? The soil in the pot could be pretty devoid of nutrients and nourishment at this point.

• Options
    Generally I water when I remember it hasn't been for a while and/or the soil's looking a bit dry. And yeah it's got drainage holes, a mug full of water chucked in the top puddles in the dish nicely. Not certain what it is. I did have a guess a while ago and was going to get this thread to confirm but I didn't get round to it and I can't remember what I think I thought it might be. Will have another go after work.

It's been in the pot since I got it a couple years ago. I did add some plant food pellets to it about a year ago. I do have half a growbag in the shed so maybe I should have a go repotting it.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    HGPve5el.jpg?1

Any idea what this little plant is? I thought it might be an errant mint seed but it doesn't quite match up.

• Options
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    Generally I water when I remember it hasn't been for a while and/or the soil's looking a bit dry. And yeah it's got drainage holes, a mug full of water chucked in the top puddles in the dish nicely. Not certain what it is. I did have a guess a while ago and was going to get this thread to confirm but I didn't get round to it and I can't remember what I think I thought it might be. Will have another go after work.

It's been in the pot since I got it a couple years ago. I did add some plant food pellets to it about a year ago. I do have half a growbag in the shed so maybe I should have a go repotting it.

Repotting would also allow you to check the roots. I think leaves turning brown is usually to do with getting watering wrong, assuming you haven't moved the plant recently so it hasn't had temperature/light changes. If you're watering too much to the point it's killing the plant you'd probably see squishy brown roots where they've been waterlogged and started to rot.

I never go off looking at soil to tell whether to water, always stick your finger down an inch, sometimes the surface can be dry while most of the soil is still wet. Lifting the pot can also be a good indicator once you get used to how heavy it feels after watering.

• Options
    Cheers Brovid. I'll try and get into the shed tomorrow and give it a looking at.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

They might be putting out a lot of root growth you can't see, especially if they were filling their previous containers and now have a lot more space.

Reading around, it looks like our unseasonably chilly but humid spring could be contributing.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    anybody have any experience with pitcher plants?

• Options
    skki9b3bq5ma.png

Welcome back, giant old pecan tree. I hope you had a very restful winter after your terrifyingly productive mast year. I trust you got that out of your system and we can spend the summer without you bombarding my carport with extremely loud pecans at 2 AM.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    C'mon Jedoc, you know better

Plus half of that bombardment is squirrels full of spite

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    That tree was silent the first year I lived here. It produced so few pecans I thought it was an elm tree. I'm hoping it's one of those that's on like a five year cycle.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It's a cactus, it's going to take an apocalypse to kill it.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    It's a cactus, it's going to take an apocalypse to kill it.

I mean...

*motions generally at world *

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    I have baby cauliflowers! And a baby broccoli!

And I picked some radishes the other day and made spicy pickles!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    My radishes are stubbornly refusing to do much of anything

They've germinated, but not really progressed beyond the seedling stage over the last couple of weeks. Because they're not putting on much growth I'm gradually losing them to pests

• Options
    So my new monstera is going absolutely buckwild, which rules

My money plant seems to have resprouted at the base of a dead shoot, also good news

The cacti in the guest room... appear to be cacti (AKA not dead/visibly dying yet so ??? I guess they're doin well??)

I'm a little concerned about this desert rose, though, not because it's dying (seems fine) but because the internet is basically like "WATER YOUR DESERT ROSE HALF THE YEAR":
    Keep soil moderately moist in spring and summer, but reduce watering in fall and especially winter when the plant is dormant. Fertilize with a dilution by half of a 20-20-20 liquid plant food once per month when the plant is actively growing. Do not feed the desert rose during winter.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Desert Rose Plant Info: Caring For Desert Rose Plants https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/desert-rose/caring-for-desert-rose-plants.htm

I live on the equator

We don't have seasons

So do I just arbitarily decide hat it's spring/summer now and keep the soil moist, then stop in six months? How the hell do I tell if it's actively growing and needs plant food? It was just blooming when I was given it about two weeks ago.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    I think, though I could be talking out my arse, that plants which have a dormant/active cycle in the wild benefit from having that simulated indoors. So if there's a cooler part of your home you could maybe move it to for a few months and then reduce watering, it might make it happy? But as I said, that could be nonsense.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    hey friends, here's something you might be interested in - Oregon State Univ is offering their Vegetable Gardening Course for free, from now through May 27

https://workspace.oregonstate.edu/course/master-gardener-series-vegetable-gardening

I haven't taken it yet so I can't vouch for the content, but I registered : )

• Options
    related, I just pulled up my (very robust looking) potatoes because while I knew they got along with the lettuce also in the tub, I wasn't sure if they were playing nice with the morning glory, which was looking a bit pissweak. And I'd rather have flowering morning glory in summer than a couple of fingerling potatoes.